PREGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

The Bombers-Collingwood game had a main theme which suggests how to beat them. It starts with;

Don't let Jordan Ridley take 15 uncontested marks - he had just 3 contested possessions of any type for the game.

Don't let Mason Redman run around doing whatever he wants - ZERO contested possessions and not even an intercept.

Just generally, force Essendon to earn their possessions. Following are contested/uncontested disposal totals;

Kelly (1/15), Perkins (1/12), Jones (3/14), Laverde (2/7), Greshem (2/13), Duursma (3/14), and it goes on.

Just five players gathered more than 50% of the Bombers' contested possessions total.

Overall that game was remarkably bruise free. Neither team managed 30% contested. Only the Port-Bulldogs game came close to that level.

Force Essendon to fight for it, get up close and hassle, and they will break.

Select a team accordingly.

TL;DR - Essendon continue their 20-year tradition of football unsuitable for finals.

• Like 13

Essendrug need to be ripped apart 

Limb from Limb…

We can do it if we are switched on 100%
Treat it like a Final. 
the ladder is wide open 

Never seen it like this before 

• Like 16
  • Love 2

28 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

We must beat essendon. 

Firstly because we need to keep winning to make finals

Hate essendon and want them to lose

Want essendon to drop down the ladder. They cannot finish in the top 4 & get a double chance 

Why? They would then most likely lose two finals

• Haha 3
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Essendrug need to be ripped apart 

Limb from Limb…

We can do it if we are switched on 100%
Treat it like a Final. 
the ladder is wide open 

Never seen it like this before 

Agree. If there was ever a year a team can win from outside the top 4, this is it (putting aside the Bulldogs umpire fest in 2016)

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Zach Merrett is so huge for Essendon, the question is can we get by with some combination of Viney and Sparrow on him, or do we need to specifically go with ANB (post centre bounce).

And if we go with ANB who can we rotate as the 3rd winger? Probably has to be Sparrow again if not taking a risk and going with Kolt.

I also think both Howes and Marty Hore will come in to consideration for AMW.

AMW is a big time talent but he's defensively at sea at times and we just lack height down back with AMW, Bowey, McVee, Salem as the 4 flankers.

For an Essendon forward line that has Peter Wright, potentially 2 rucks and/or Caddy, Harry Jones, Langford and Stringer we could do with a back pocket with some height.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, bobby1554 said:

Agree. If there was ever a year a team can win from outside the top 4, this is it (putting aside the Bulldogs umpire fest in 2016)

Absolutely. It is wide open. 
Carlton Kicked 8 goals against GW$ and then the entire game changed 

It was an insane match to watch 

For us it is such a shame Tracc is no longer there, but it may also unearth another Talent. 
We just have to go Flat Out and see what happens…

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Zach Merrett is so huge for Essendon, the question is can we get by with some combination of Viney and Sparrow on him, or do we need to specifically go with ANB (post centre bounce).

And if we go with ANB who can we rotate as the 3rd winger? Probably has to be Sparrow again if not taking a risk and going with Kolt.

I also think both Howes and Marty Hore will come in to consideration for AMW.

AMW is a big time talent but he's defensively at sea at times and we just lack height down back with AMW, Bowey, McVee, Salem as the 4 flankers.

For an Essendon forward line that has Peter Wright, potentially 2 rucks and/or Caddy, Harry Jones, Langford and Stringer we could do with a back pocket with some height.

AMW's ground ball game is how you beat that Essendon forward line though. Rely on May, TMac, Lever and a floating Max to get the job done in the air, and let the little guys who are good at ground level run hard off them. AMW and McVee are very good at that.

Hoping Bowser can add to what they bring with his pace and his kicking. Needs some continuity though.

Salem, the extra senior head behind the ball.

You may well be right that we are worried about their aerial threats. I think we have to back our three key defenders to get the job done though.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, adonski said:

I think Petty will come in for Disco rightly or wrongly

Would like to see AMW stay in

I would not be surprised if AMW keeps his spot in the team going forward.

He's been terrific. Strong in the contest, and a good user.

And he has something that all teams want - genuine leg speed.

Could he be the small defender we've missed since jetts in 2018?

• Like 11
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Petty will play if he’s fit. Sorry to anyone who loves to pile on him. 

The Petty/Melk duopoly leading in the forward line could be very interesting, alongside/including JVR, with Chandler, Kozzie and Fritta sweeping up between the dead Essendrug detritus. There may be one other position trialled - that of a tall, thin, yet-to-be actioned marking and goal-kicking machine lingering at Casey?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, binman said:

no, that's mcvee

having mcvee and amw will be fantastic for years to come i hope; two small defenders who can both lock down and provide rebound run

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

AMW's ground ball game is how you beat that Essendon forward line though. Rely on May, TMac, Lever and a floating Max to get the job done in the air, and let the little guys who are good at ground level run hard off them. AMW and McVee are very good at that.

Hoping Bowser can add to what they bring with his pace and his kicking. Needs some continuity though.

Salem, the extra senior head behind the ball.

You may well be right that we are worried about their aerial threats. I think we have to back our three key defenders to get the job done though.

He's a reincarnation of Wheels (Matty Whelan) he has a dip the lad.

Part of our future, nothing gained from dropping him, he needs these games for development and adds run, foot skills and tackling pressure.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, bobby1554 said:

Why? They would then most likely lose two finals

My exact thought when I first realised they were a chance for Top 4. Of all top 11-13 teams, I think their game translates the LEAST for Finals Footy, alongside Swans —. Ur their elite footksills give them at least some semblance of credence! 

I’ve got many  — as do we all — of those little random thought-lines re current teams, but one I am EXTREMELY confident on, is that we will beat Essendon. Doesn’t have a heap of analytical integrity to it yet, although some.. But I just feel as though our brand & our defence especially, wilL make it extremely hard for them to kick a score! On proviso we make it less transition based Ala today, and more like against Lions whereby it’s all about the contest & taking it to them in the trenches. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

We must beat essendon. 

Firstly because we need to keep winning to make finals

Hate essendon and want them to lose

Want essendon to drop down the ladder. They cannot finish in the top 4 & get a double chance 

we all think Armagedon are a Deesgrace but they are now given plenty by the AFL - Armagedon 8-day break, Dees 6-days

damn unfair

1 hour ago, bobby1554 said:

Said it to my daughter last week, feels like this could be the year, considering teams I think most likely to win it, sit outside top 4 right now and will likely start the finals that way! Sure. It’ll always come down to health, luck and conversion, but for me I think the Flag Winner is one of 3-6 teams yet to hit their stride!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Deefiant said:

Something something about throwing stones from glass houses?

Noooo sorry — this is a totally diff level of mediocrity mate, that comment is all about it being an opportunity to make their non-finals W Run even more humorous and entertaining! It’s not about a ‘good’ team going out in straight sets.. it’s purely a psychological amusement 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

37 minutes ago, binman said:

Why would he? I’d be SHOCKED if he lost his spot even if at 💯 strength — his ability to be decisive, composed and clean-up ground balls with assuredness & grace. Give our D59 something it’s yearned for since Gus’ was forced to retire by that abhorrent excuse for a human Maynard. 

AMW has, for me, 💯 solidified his spot as a back-pocket & moving fwd could allow McVee to become what he is meant to be.. 🔥

But that’s more a thought for next year or 2026.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

He’ll take Turners spot I would think

What did Disco do today that warrants dropping.  Certainly showed more acumen than the replacement you suggest.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

He's a reincarnation of Wheels (Matty Whelan) he has a dip the lad.

Part of our future, nothing gained from dropping him, he needs these games for development and adds run, foot skills and tackling pressure.

Quicker than Wheels, I reckon. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Binmans PA said:

Quicker than Wheels, I reckon. 

The diving mark in front of members wing... very impressive.

The kid can play...  seems quite capable out there..  shows plenty..  and this is the start ?? Promises much.

• Like 6

Even if absolutely nothing else good happens this year, I hope we rip Essendon a new one to the point where the entire football world calls them out for the pretenders they are, and their rancid, smug fans realise that this is yet another false dawn and that they’re still as irrelevant as ever.

Please?

I don’t think they’ve suffered enough yet.

• Like 17
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kent said:

He needs an attitude adjustment

He needs a full pre-season and 12 months without serious injury.

• Like 3