coaching tactics today

Gorgoroth

was there any good match ups or moves early on?

ie green on grant :wacko:

5 talls in the F50, no smalls

the handball game plan (no running or carrying though :lol: )

are we the worst coached side in the league?

i think the iq of our coaches in relation to coaching a team to a win is simply -10

the tigers will belt us in a few weeks

The first 3 quarters were the most frustrating 90 minutes of my entire life.

It was an absolute joke the way we continuously handballed to stagnant players, instead of moving the ball long. There was no confidence to kick to a contest, so instead the players handballed in circles. And, the more you over-possess the footy, the more your shocking skills are exposed.

We had too much ball and did too little with it.

And surprise surprise, when we took chances in the last and didn't blindly handball to nobody, we smashed them.

When you have a forward line consisting of Neita and Robbo, you HAVE to get the ball to them quickly.

Seeing David Neitz handball to Ricky who had 2 opponents on him in the forward 50, instead of kicking long to the goal square, was clearly not a natural instinct for him. He was following instructions, and they were some dumb instructions.

For once, I would like the coach to come out and take some level of responsibility. It is not good enough to say that we lost because we played poorly for three quarters, there needs to be accountability and an explanation as to WHY we still have no idea how to carry out a game plan in Round 9. If it's not working, ditch it.

Daniher in last quarter i saw twice looking up to god for help instead of getting on the phone and rearanging or back up plan he has not got a clue god helps them who help themselves.

The players tried hard no forward line structure.

ND you are a good bloke and hope you stay around the club as FD job but defantlily nothing to do with match day, training or strategey.

Seeing David Neitz handball to Ricky who had 2 opponents on him in the forward 50, instead of kicking long to the goal square, was clearly not a natural instinct for him. He was following instructions, and they were some dumb instructions.

You have a good point there. When he saw Neitz dish it off i thought it was extreamly unlike him. Sometimes in life sometimes it may be best to ignore stupid instructions. ;)

yep, they sure would've been :P

It's not the time nor the place, so I will ask you kindly on behalf of those who feel like death to please keep your pointless and purely spiteful comments to yourself.

I am by no means in a position of authority here at Demonland, however my understanding is that we welcome supporters from other teams to come and join the discussion when they have something insightful to offer.

You do not.

IT'S NOT THE COACH! WE HAVE INJURIES! IT'S THE PLAYERS!

:huh:

fyi, that's sarcasm

Too bloody right!!!!!!!

They have had 14 games (1 intra-club, 4 pre-season, 9 home and away) to execute the game plan and they have FAILED.

It can't be the game plan (can it?), it must be the players. THEY ARE ALL CRAP. Sack the lot and start again.

FYI This is sarcasm too. :lol:

The 'run and carry' game plan is based on ONE simple premise. GIVE AND GET BACK. Unfortunately we are currently GIVING AND RUNNING AWAY into space to let a team mate fend for himself!!! (Don't even start me on the basics of sheperding).

But that's not the most frustrating thing about the way we are playing this year.

THE MOST frustrating thing is our lack of confidence (or coaching) to take the ball through the corridor. From what I saw today it must in the game plan to hand pass and kick backwards and across the ground, into the corridor, in the defensive 50m arc, but NOT when 60 or 70m from goal the opposition's goal, EVEN WHEN WE HAVE PLAYERS ON THEIR OWN IN SPACE through the middle!! :wacko: The only reason I can find for this is that the game plan MUST be very STRICT on kicking it to the HFF, close to the boundary, to a player who is under pressure. It must also be very strict on holding the ball up beforehand to allow the opposition to get back, man up and fill to spaces. :wacko:

Go Kangaroos - A win to us today, after the first three quarters of crap, would have been a modern football crime, even worse than the push-in-the-back rule. ;)

Laidley dictated the game today, fair play to him. The Roos coaches muct have been laughing how long we kept Green on Grant.

How did Laidley dictate the game today when this side could not paste a lamentable team like MFC on the scoreboard in 3 quarters?

He would have roasted his team post match. For them its a win but an ordinary win.

35 points up at 5 minutes in the last quarter and to almost lose it.

Neither coach dictated it.

One sides players were slightly better than the others.

The players have to take a lot of responsibility today. Our footskills were atrocious, turned it over time and time again in the midfield. I think the likes of Brown, Ward, Godfrey, Miller are reminders of the deficiencies of this club at the moment. They simply could not carry out the game plan they were trying to

However

Its Neale's responsibility to change some things when its going terribly wrong, as the commentators were suggesting - throw Bizzell up forward, or Dunn or just get Miller the hell away from there. There a saying I think is relevant "Keep it simple stupid". First option, long and direct.

There's another theory,that is IT IS THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY TO DO THE SAME THING AND EXPECT A DIFFERENT RESULT!! For instance, playing Miller at CHF has been a failure, lets move on shall we? Godfrey does not have the skills to play at AFL level, nor does Ward or Brown. Thats why we need a new coach, to address these glaring gaps in our team that have gone unnattended for so long

The players have to take a lot of responsibility today. Our footskills were atrocious, turned it over time and time again in the midfield. I think the likes of Brown, Ward, Godfrey, Miller are reminders of the deficiencies of this club at the moment. They simply could not carry out the game plan they were trying to

However

Its Neale's responsibility to change some things when its going terribly wrong, as the commentators were suggesting - throw Bizzell up forward, or Dunn or just get Miller the hell away from there. There a saying I think is relevant "Keep it simple stupid". First option, long and direct.

There's another theory,that is IT IS THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY TO DO THE SAME THING AND EXPECT A DIFFERENT RESULT!! For instance, playing Miller at CHF has been a failure, lets move on shall we? Godfrey does not have the skills to play at AFL level, nor does Ward or Brown. Thats why we need a new coach, to address these glaring gaps in our team that have gone unnattended for so long

There is another saying that is extremely relevant to our current game plan, 'The shortest distance between two points is a straight line'.

I couldn't believe Maca and Petterd kicking wide to the boundary at the end of the game, with only seconds remaining, when the game NEEDED to be won.

This crap, "I would prefer to get tackled and turn the ball over than kick to a contest further up the ground' game plan HAS TO GO.

I don't care if that means a new coach.

are godfrey's skills really that bad? i used to think so, but of late he has at least been a player to take the responsibility to kick the ball after chains of handballs, and i reckon his kicking efficiency in the past few weeks when pinpointing players hasn't been that bad, though i don't have the stats on me, just an impression i've got

The last quarter, very little handball, get it into the forward line quick, create contests close to goal - and guess what 7 goals plus chances for a few more. The game plan of run and carry may suit sides like the eagles and the swans when they have their more highly skilled players in. We need to have a quick entry into the forward line. ND - base the game plan around the last quarter. If they put 7 or 8 defenders down there then we put 7 or eight forwards down there.

yep agree always man up the loose player, once you man him up then move to just outside the 50 and im positive he will go with them, then they dont have a loose player, or at worst the coach gets all the others to play wide and leave him open in the middle of the ground