POSTGAME: Rd 16 vs Brisbane

Demonland

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

But not a word about Saint Maynard 😡

I almost turned the TV off yesterday when these so called experts were getting stuck into Kolt. Ffs he’s a third gamer who got knocked over unexpectedly from behind. He has every right to lose balance and fall over. 

How about we call out the piece of [censored] Zorko for his totally unnecessary late contact to a THIRD GAMER. Weak. 

Maynard's was way worse

https://x.com/outbreezyWC/status/1806953258788983173

• Like 4
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Why are the commentators trying to have a crack at a Melbourne player for ‘staging’ again? Kolt got bumped late by Zorko and how are they to know how hard he felt the hit? These commentators are a disgrace (hodge in particular) and I wish the club would call them out on their carp

Hodge and a lot of the ex Hawthorn players seem to really hate us.  Apparently they really lost respect for us as a club in the bad old days when they were riding high.  Punching down is firmly for heroes apparently...

...I think there are a lot of upsides from this game - and for next season.  As I've said previously, this season is much more like 2017 now with the injuries and kids coming in.  With a few retirements and some more salary cap space, we will be able to target some missing talent (kicking skills!) and I dare say we will be a destination club with our capabilities next season.

• Like 7

On 29/06/2024 at 09:19, BW511 said:

Very tough one to swallow, the effort and endeavour was the best it’s been for multiple years. We had the game all but sewn up and then the nerves came.

The thing that stood out for me was in the last 5 minutes when the game was there to be won, the lions kicking beat us.

Zorko ([censored] him) had a couple of really good, long and precise kicks that just killed us.

McLuggage, who had done bugger all, suddenly slots a match winner from the pocket.

The game is so contested and fast now, handing it back to the opposition through poor kicking is soul destroying.

On the plus side, Clarry was really invested and determined.
JVR was looking like he would tear the game apart in the first half. He’s so strong for a kid.

AMW did very well for a debutant after a few fumbles early, he didn’t retreat into his shell and just kept attacking.

Why isn’t Jvr just left fwd to develop his craft as our only genuine kpp fwd instead playing ruck? Robbing Peter to pay Paul 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Why isn’t Jvr just left fwd to develop his craft as our only genuine kpp fwd instead playing ruck? Robbing Peter to pay Paul 

100% agree. If one of Turner or Petty can’t ruck then one should come out for Fullarton. JVR is a generational full forward for god’s sake.

• Like 4

On 28/06/2024 at 23:42, Jerry Lundergard said:

Look, tough one for the umpires to see, but to suggest that Nibbler just took a dive over the line is garbage.  It's a clear legging that was missed.

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-28 at 23.39.40_4d41c2ad.jpg

Not enough of a trip for him to take a further 3 or 4 steps and then dive over the line. Nibbler definitely put a lot of mayo into his action and the ump saw right through it. It was obvious he wanted the ball over the line for a stoppage

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

ANB should have hard handballed at the feet of the Lions players.  Yeah, I know, coulda, shoulda etc...BUT.....for a bloke that receives a lot of love from Demons fans, unfortunately he is prone to making poor decisions under pressure.  He usually manages one pressure error per game but this one cost us dearly.  As valuable as he is to the team in terms of the role he plays, "a mans got to know his limitations" (Dirty Harry Callahan).

ANB regularly gets the ball and if a player is near him or tackles him will go to ground to force a stoppage

Every single week he does that

We have been coached for years to create a stoppage rather than turn the ball over. Particularly late in games. That's what he did

He tried to make this one look like he was tripped 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

100% agree. If one of Turner or Petty can’t ruck then one should come out for Fullarton. JVR is a generational full forward for god’s sake.

Because Fullarton can't play at AFL level

12 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Not enough of a trip for him to take a further 3 or 4 steps and then dive over the line. Nibbler definitely put a lot of mayo into his action and the ump saw right through it. It was obvious he wanted the ball over the line for a stoppage

Yep, and I think he was expecting McCluggage to put more body on. Smart of Hugh not to.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2024 at 22:32, John Crow Batty said:

Petty and Langdon  missing easy shots that would have put us nearly 5 goals up lost it for us 

Ball drop is too high - too close to the man on the mark - run-up on set shots (marks, frees) is always too short and the leg is always too bent at the knee to follow-through. Aiming at a spot beyond the goal-posts is left un-observable on approach to the kicking point. Plantar flexion of the foot at ball contact is minimal. Didn't read Ted Whitten's pamphlets on goal-kicking in the 1960s!

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Ball drop is too high - too close to the man on the mark - run-up on set shots (marks, frees) is always too short and the leg is always too bent at the knee to follow-through. Aiming at a spot beyond the goal-posts is left un-observable on approach to the kicking point. Plantar flexion of the foot at ball contact is minimal. Didn't read Ted Whitten's pamphlets on goal-kicking in the 1960

Love the reference.  I think I have "How to play VFL Football" by Ron Barassi in the bookshelf somewhere.  Very likely sponsored by a cigarette company.  Will forward it on to Goodwin & charge him a lot less for it than whatever they are paying Choco.  Really need to start questioning what Williams is bringing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, D Rev said:

Love the reference.  I think I have "How to play VFL Football" by Ron Barassi in the bookshelf somewhere.  Very likely sponsored by a cigarette company.  Will forward it on to Goodwin & charge him a lot less for it than whatever they are paying Choco.  Really need to start questioning what Williams is bringing.

I know that Peter Hudson read Whitten's pamphlets on goal-kicking thoroughly, even with an 'orrid flat punt style of kicking dominating his selections. His run-up for set shots was ideal, to compensate. :-)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

ANB regularly gets the ball and if a player is near him or tackles him will go to ground to force a stoppage

Every single week he does that

We have been coached for years to create a stoppage rather than turn the ball over. Particularly late in games. That's what he did

He tried to make this one look like he was tripped 

Tried? He was tripped. Therefore, was it a free to ANB? Probably not. Legs got tangled up.

• Love 1

Interesting (in a bad way) that May, Lever and Gawn took 4 marks between them for the whole game.

That's a recipe for success for the opposition.

All those guys should be getting 5+ marks a game.

I still need to watch the game in full but it sounds like Gawn had one of his poorer games for the year, at least from a statistical point of view.

On 30/06/2024 at 11:25, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Disagree He is performing a valuable role at this stage of his development and who’s not to say that he won’t be a forward/ruck players all his career. 

He also maybe do cameo's in defence as he was a GB in WA U 18’s a below. 

I can also visualise him playing a kick  behind play at times when in the ruck. 

Yes I still think he is our best bet for FF but we don’t need to be one dimensional about his career. Versatility is now of the best traits players bring to the table and he is making a good fist of it.

One day he will explode and kick 5 and never look back or win us the game like he did Anzac Eve in 2023. 

Besides he thrives in competition on the field and this keeps him active and involved. Plus it provides a mix for his opponent either having to follow or find another forward. 

On 29/06/2024 at 14:31, demon3165 said:

Then leave him the forward line full stop.

No we can’t become one dimensional any more than we are. We have a coach who by nature is fixed and we need every bit of vision with our players  to be versatile. 
Become more creative with our players and ffsake use our Sub don’t waste him.

Thrte seems to be a set against Pup that he is too small etc. He obviously doesn’t think so let him play and see how he goes. 

Goody  does not seem to full embrace some new players and holds them back. 

I believe it’s not incidental that both Jordon and Bedford chose to leave. And Woe may be  the same if he keeps getting the Sub role over the next year or two. 

Goody has failed again with the Sub this week. You must give him a quarter yo have any effect on the game and please don’t defend him and say who do you take off. It won’t always be a like for like either. That’s surely good for us and not for the opposition! 

On 28/06/2024 at 22:34, poita said:

Second quarter was fantastic, but otherwise we kicked three goals (and thirteen points) in three quarters.

We got exactly what we deserved by returning to negative, timid football in the last quarter instead of trying to win the game. 

And a Coach  who stuffed up his Sub role again, second week in a row. Run was needed and Pup just may have provided it!! 

12 minutes ago, 58er said:

No we can’t become one dimensional any more than we are. We have a coach who by nature is fixed and we need every bit of vision with our players  to be versatile. 

Thrte seems to be a set against Pup that he is too small etc. He obviously doesn’t think so let him play and see how he goes. 

I believe it’s not incidental that both Jordon and Bedford chose to leave. And Woe may be  the same if he keeps getting the Sub role over the next year or two. 

Goody has failed again with the Sub this week. You must give him a quarter yo have any effect on the game and please don’t defend him and say who do you take off. It won’t always be a like for like either. That’s surely good for us and not for the opposition! 

If my memory serves me correct I was talking about Kossie playing as a forward not midfield and I have explained my reasons before, not disagreeing with your other views on the subs use, I have also said the gameplan in the last quarter was shocking and that rests on the entire coaching staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Interesting (in a bad way) that May, Lever and Gawn took 4 marks between them for the whole game.

That's a recipe for success for the opposition.

All those guys should be getting 5+ marks a game.

I still need to watch the game in full but it sounds like Gawn had one of his poorer games for the year, at least from a statistical point of view.

The glass half full response to that would be that we played one of our better games for the year without Gawn dominating. Mostly this year our best games have been driven by Gawn, so to play well when he’s not starring is probably a good thing. 

• Like 5

On 28/06/2024 at 22:36, Binmans PA said:

Such a disappointing result. A brilliant second quarter, some good patches in the other quarters, but our inability to take regulation shots on goal and convert them has cost us one flag and will see us miss the 8 altogether this year.

Perhaps at training they could get the forwards to do a lap of the ground or a 100 metre sprint, then line up for a shot at goal. not allowed off until they get 3 in a row,

27 minutes ago, 58er said:

I'd argue the point about Goodwin not being versatile - we have changed the way we play this year, tried players in new positions and brought in lots of youth.  I'd support the position that Goodwin isn't a great match day coach, but he certainly has been more dynamic this season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, D Rev said:

I'd argue the point about Goodwin not being versatile - we have changed the way we play this year, tried players in new positions and brought in lots of youth.  I'd support the position that Goodwin isn't a great match day coach, but he certainly has been more dynamic this season.

Agreed Rev but it’s not enough in some basic ways. His Match Day efforts always seem to leave some possibilities on the table. RDB Bev and Sam Mitchell are the best examples of insightful dynamic and creative and maybe Goody will never be that. But he has failed in close matches to explore moves that are aggressive and his Sub rule handling is the worsting the AFL. We so often play with 22 players.!! 

• Like 1