Just now, Great Northern Summer said:

Hunter getting another deal? Different from what everyone else is suggesting...

Hunter is already on a deal he signed a 3 year contract. Look it up in the contracts thread.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

@BAMF - In saying the above, as mentioned earlier, I don't think he was a good option as a ruckman. Was clearly beaten most weeks in the hitout battle. My only point was around selection and the timing of his solid VFL form vs the very poor form of Petty in the same kind of role at the same time. I wouldn't have expected a lot of impact from him at AFL, I'm not a big Fullarton fan by any stretch, but I just feel he had earned a chance in the circumstances.

I just am so disappointed. I don't really care what classification he is. He isn't good at either ruck or forward. 

I don't think he is even benefiting Casey.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

GEELONG premiership players Gary Rohan and Brandan Parfitt are among seven Cats delisted after their season ended in a preliminary final loss to Brisbane.  Phoenix Foster, Oscar Murdoch, James Willis, Mitch Hardie have also been delisted having not played an AFL game. Former Hawthorn tall Emerson Jeka has also been axed.

*** I hate the Cats.  But I admire how ruthless they are.  These are not easy calls as each have shown real ability.  Rohan could play another year.  Parfitt is capable.  Hardie was excellent in the VFL winning a role in VFL team if the year.  Foster is like a young Tomahawk.  But they are ruthless. They see them as not quite premiership material. So they are out.  They are after new youngsters. They are after Bailey Smith.  They are after 1-2  Werribee players in the same way they got Mannagh.
MFC hangs onto players with extensions and extra years beyond what they have demonstrated.  FFS. Did I mention  *** I have the Cats.  

Parfitt is a chance.  Obviously he had talent.  It’s the hard work to bring out the talent.  Does he still have it ????? 

I want Phoenix Foster, Love it!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BAMF said:

I just am so disappointed. I don't really care what classification he is. He isn't good at either ruck or forward. 

I don't think he is even benefiting Casey.

That's definitely fair given where it all stands currently. I guess I'm just trying to hold off until he actually gets a shot in the seniors.

10 hours ago, BAMF said:

He was traded as a ruck.

All the talk about him not being a ruck is because we got him in to play ruck and realised that he can't play ruck.

Even our own website has him listed as a ruck.

Now we have to get another ruck.

That sounds rucking terrible.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

too injured, too slow, doesn't win enough of his own footy, doesn't use the ball well enough

to me he's a classique good vfl, not good enough for afl player

the sort of player who can eke out 100-150 games over a decade or so but will never be anything more than a fringe player

i don't know for certain, but i'd assume he's been subbed in / out a lot over the course of his career

Maybe so but you gotta have a couple. At worst they make the Casey midfield competitive and give their forwards some service. Outside of Laurie we don't really have any and that was stark for Casey this year.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, old55 said:

Maybe so but you gotta have a couple. At worst they make the Casey midfield competitive and give their forwards some service. Outside of Laurie we don't really have any and that was stark for Casey this year.

Agreed. Parfitt is no superstar, but he's solid AFL depth or midfield depth. He's only 26, so not a 30 year old at the end like Hunter, Billings, Dunstan etc. Statistically he's very similar to Neal-Bullen, but slightly better across their careers. Neal-Bullen is a stronger runner, but Parfitt wins more ball and lays more tackles. Infact, on average he lays more tackles than any of our current list except Jack Viney, so even as a defensive mid or half forward option he's an upgrade on our current list.

As a free agent, he costs us nothing at trade. He'd be improved depth at worst and IMO a better option than some others such as Hunter, Laurie, Billings. It seems a no-brainer to take him for free on 1-2 year contract for free.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

Agreed. Parfitt is no superstar, but he's solid AFL depth or midfield depth. He's only 26, so not a 30 year old at the end like Hunter, Billings, Dunstan etc. Statistically he's very similar to Neal-Bullen, but slightly better across their careers. Neal-Bullen is a stronger runner, but Parfitt wins more ball and lays more tackles. Infact, on average he lays more tackles than any of our current list except Jack Viney, so even as a defensive mid or half forward option he's an upgrade on our current list.

As a free agent, he costs us nothing at trade. He'd be improved depth at worst and IMO a better option than some others such as Hunter, Laurie, Billings. It seems a no-brainer to take him for free on 1-2 year contract for free.

Dunstan was 26 when we recruited him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

i'm a no on parfitt

8 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

As a delisted free agent, Parfitt holds much more appeal than if we’d had to trade for him

So it's a yes now then? 😆

As a delisted free agent, he's a free hit at low salary. Improved depth at worst. 

6 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

I don't think we have the list spots this year to take punts on Parfitt types. 

If we don’t have the list spots because we’ve junked up the list with the following cloggers:

Hunter, Billings, Fullarton as well as the young lack of talent time brigade (I won’t name them),

Then we simply have to pay one of them to retire.

Not saying it has to be Parfitt but we can’t enter the season with no on ball depth. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FreedFromDesire said:

In the actual text on the website it says: "At 200cm tall, he is set to add to the Demons’ ruck and forward stocks."

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/players/1771/tom-fullarton

From trade time:

"The Demons secured the ruck-forward in exchange for pick No.47 in this year’s AFL Draft."

Dees welcome Tom Fullarton

"Melbourne used the pick, which was bumped back to pick No.47 after Jade Gresham's move to Essendon earlier in the day, to land ruck-forward Fullarton, who is 200cm and 97kg, from the Lions."

Dees bring in tall from Lions after Grundy departure

I think he played more ruck once Verrall was injured didn't he? He was certainly still kicking goals all year. I agree he may have been there for more depth in the ruck if needed, but don't think it was ever a 'pure ruck' role.

Agreed

Fullarton was brought in as a Fwd/2nd ruck

Try to play the LJ role and can step into ruck if Max goes down 

• Like 1

Latest episode of Gettable - Caleb Daniel to the Kangas if he moves (phew) , Cal impying we won’t be bringing in Membrey with Derksen locked in. Owies linked to Brisbane, no word of any interest from us. Sounds like it could just be a Derksen , Tom Campbell coup this year 😂 Hopefully we at least take three picks to the draft, not sure how we’re looking for list spots though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Latest episode of Gettable - Caleb Daniel to the Kangas if he moves (phew) , Cal impying we won’t be bringing in Membrey with Derksen locked in. Owies linked to Brisbane, no word of any interest from us. Sounds like it could just be a Derksen , Tom Campbell coup this year 😂 Hopefully we at least take three picks to the draft, not sure how we’re looking for list spots though.

Most on here need to accept that this will most likely be the outcome of our trade period. 

When you have a year like we did then we're not exactly a destination club for A graders.

I do hope we're more working on getting another first round pick more then anything.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Most on here need to accept that this will most likely be the outcome of our trade period. 

When you have a year like we did then we're not exactly a destination club for A graders.

I do hope we're more working on getting another first round pick more then anything.

That’s not totally true Dazzle, despite the rhetoric being put out by Houston we were very much the destination club for him. It’s nothing to do with the Petracca story it’s all to do with us letting Port know we weren’t interested in their asking price. We will be going to the draft this year unless some too good to be true left field offer comes in 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, manny100 said:

The Lions will be on the hunt for points. We may try to get their pick 17/18.

They have Ashcroft and Sam Marshall to bring in. They may have to trade out player/s or a future.

Yep they have a total of ~1250 points in this years draft. THat is not even a top 10 pick, for which Ashcroft will absolutely go for. They have to get busy in the trade period and will undoubtedly auction of their pick 17/18 for the highest bidder. It however goes both ways in that clubs will know the desperation of the Lions and will not look to give too much more. 

We are in a good position here to offer up ANBs comp (#25) and 37/38 for appox 1200 in points, which gives Lions a +200. As it stands not many other clubs can improve the offer with only Richmond and GC having multiple Round 2 picks, which is not worth their while to move up 5-6 spots in the 2nd round and lose a pick at the same time.

Lions will likely need to target another Round 2 pick with a future first as nobody in their right mind will exchange their current 1st rounder. So if we miss out we may be able to position ourselves for a F1. So its hard to see them getting both their men unless they put up F1 and F2 picks for trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Windsor said:

Yep they have a total of ~1250 points in this years draft. THat is not even a top 10 pick, for which Ashcroft will absolutely go for. They have to get busy in the trade period and will undoubtedly auction of their pick 17/18 for the highest bidder. It however goes both ways in that clubs will know the desperation of the Lions and will not look to give too much more. 

We are in a good position here to offer up ANBs comp (#25) and 37/38 for appox 1200 in points, which gives Lions a +200. As it stands not many other clubs can improve the offer with only Richmond and GC having multiple Round 2 picks, which is not worth their while to move up 5-6 spots in the 2nd round and lose a pick at the same time.

Lions will likely need to target another Round 2 pick with a future first as nobody in their right mind will exchange their current 1st rounder. So if we miss out we may be able to position ourselves for a F1. So its hard to see them getting both their men unless they put up F1 and F2 picks for trade.

Can we give the Lions our future first for their current first?

43 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Remind me, how many list spots do we have currently?

Of the players retired or delisted: Brayshaw. Smith, Brown, Farris-White and Schache?

Is it only 5 or am I missing more? Any chance of more delistings?

Hore and Tomlinson are both out of contract.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

That’s not totally true Dazzle, despite the rhetoric being put out by Houston we were very much the destination club for him. It’s nothing to do with the Petracca story it’s all to do with us letting Port know we weren’t interested in their asking price. We will be going to the draft this year unless some too good to be true left field offer comes in 

I am super comfortable if those are the only 2 mature agers we bring in and invest the rest of our resources in hitting the draft this year.

• Like 13