• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

"We want to be like Collingwood"

13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's not correct, the article clearly states she is talking about the noise level of the supporters as well as the number of supporters. It is a fair comment, I don't know why anyone would feel offended. Obviously it's not all Melbourne supporters, many of us are lunatics that go berserk (after having too many coffees/ red bulls 😄 ) but a large portion are very quiet and sit on their hands, the loudest they get is when they are making negative comments about the team. I've seen it week in, week out for 35 years. I remember sitting in the old red seats in the 80s/90s and one guy in particular walking up and down the aisle pleading with the supporters to get up and make noise. It definitely has an impact on the team, I've seen players (notably Petracca) gesture to the supporters to make more noise and get loud. It's not just when we kick a goal or react to another act on the field, supporters should be proactively cheering to encourage the team and lift their momentum.

I stopped reading after this.

I know what I heard Kate say.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

21 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

this whole 'our fans don't cheer loudly enough' narrative needs to stop

Why?  In a lot of ways I agree with her.  At the risk of sounding controversial, in the Demon Army, we get feedback from the players group that while the DA bay is loud, the rest of the stadium comes across a lot of the times as crickets.  The players notice this, and they're the ones giving the feedback.  They want the crowds to be louder, they feel inspired to do better when they're being cheered on, but when the crowds are not as loud as opposition crowds, they think, what are we doing? This is direct feedback we're getting, before some of you shoot the messenger. 

I look back at the Fremantle game at the MCG, where there is no doubt the Demons crowd massively outnumbered the Freo crowd, yet, when you watch the replay on TV, you wouldn't think that based on the noise - the Freo crowd made far louder noises than the Melbourne crowd, particularly in the Northern and Ponsford stands.  I have no issue with what Kate said, I didn't then and I don't now.  If Melbourne supporters don't like hearing you don't cheer loud enough, do something about it and cheer louder.

Edited by Katrina Dee Fan
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Skuit said:

Apologies to you and @Dr. Gonzo. I was only trying to highlight how ridiculous the reaction has been. I tend to assume everyone knows my tounge is always firmly planted. 

Perhaps your tongue should un-plant itself and learn how to spell its own name correctly 😁 

17 hours ago, Tracca said:

her comments are taken out of context, wish they reported the whole thing. It was asked does she want our supporters to be loud, hence her saying yes we want to be like collingwood.

Nothing more nothing less.

THIS!!  Thank you!!

• Like 1

I'll preface this by saying I like Kate personally and think she's done a great job as President.

But I was there and I can tell you the remark went down like an absolute lead balloon on our table and those surrounding ours. Eyebrows raised all over the show and was discussed critically at length afterwards.

And for those saying it wasn't, for some reason, it absolutely was in regard to the noise supporters make.

I found it an extraordinary misreading of the room, especially when talking to the most died-in-the-wool supporters the club has who have paid a fortune to be there, and also after the Maynard incident and Collingwood supporters' subsequent reaction.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

20 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Considering they have about 30k more supporters then ours then Roffey is completely out of her depths with reality. Of course Collingwood supporters would be loud.

Her comments are a kick in the guts for demon army and loyal supporters who are there weekly cheering all the time.

As a member of the Demon Army, I didn't get that impression at all.  In fact she is constantly praising the Demon Army, she's a proud member of the Demon Army and often comes down and sits with us.  Certainly don't get the impression she think we're not loud enough.  I do think around the ground, though, it could be louder.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I stopped reading after this.

I know what I heard Kate say.

The ol’ facepalm, huh.

Were you there, o dazzling one? I mean, you might’ve been, I don’t know what you look like, but I don’t recall seeing/hearing anyone bitter and belligerent in that room that night. 

Incidentally, and I’ll repeat myself… I can’t read that article because it’s behind a paywall. I’m going purely on WHAT KATE SAID AT THE SEASON LAUNCH. This trumps what some journo decides to publish. That’s as simple as it gets. Surely even you can understand that. 

8 minutes ago, Dee Boys said:

I'll preface this by saying I like Kate personally and think she's done a great job as President.

But I was there and I can tell you the remark went down like an absolute lead balloon on our table and those surrounding ours. Eyebrows raised all over the show and was discussed critically at length afterwards.

And for those saying it wasn't, for some reason, it absolutely was in regard to the noise supporters make.

I found it an extraordinary misreading of the room, especially when talking to the most died-in-the-wool supporters the club has who have paid a fortune to be there, and also after the Maynard incident and Collingwood supporters' subsequent reaction.

Your table mustn’t have heard her forewarning all about the impending Collingwood remark and how it’s not to be taken out of context. 

11 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

As a member of the Demon Army, I didn't get that impression at all.  In fact she is constantly praising the Demon Army, she's a proud member of the Demon Army and often comes down and sits with us.  Certainly don't get the impression she think we're not loud enough.  I do think around the ground, though, it could be louder.

Sorry, I need to correct myself and say that I didn't mean the demon Army don't make noise, in fact I meant that you guys indeed make a lot of noise and she needed to be specific instead of lumping all supporters in the same boat if that was the case.

14 minutes ago, Dee Boys said:

My brother in law attended who's a mad Demon supporter and attends every game. He shook his head in disbelief considering the timing of her comments was really right in the middle of the Joel Smith news that broke our regarding the text messages etc. 

He too felt that the last thing she needed to comment on was telling supporters that we don't cheer loud enough.

When all this fiasco was going on over the summer she went missing unfortunately and all we could do is send Max to be the face of it all.

6 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

The ol’ facepalm, huh.

Were you there, o dazzling one? I mean, you might’ve been, I don’t know what you look like, but I don’t recall seeing/hearing anyone bitter and belligerent in that room that night. 

Incidentally, and I’ll repeat myself… I can’t read that article because it’s behind a paywall. I’m going purely on WHAT KATE SAID AT THE SEASON LAUNCH. This trumps what some journo decides to publish. That’s as simple as it gets. Surely even you can understand that. 

You really do get sensitive over someone face palming your comment.. considering you do it a fair bit to my posts and I can easily just brush it aside then I think that speaks volume on you.

You're happy to completely shut @Dr. Gonzo down with his opinion but can't take a face palm reaction.. oh dear.

Edited by dazzledavey36

17 hours ago, Tracca said:

her comments are taken out of context, wish they reported the whole thing. It was asked does she want our supporters to be loud, hence her saying yes we want to be like collingwood.

Nothing more nothing less.

This warrants repeating. The most accurate post on this thread. 

• Clap 1

4 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

The ol’ facepalm, huh.

The journo was Sam McClure, and it was reported 3 weeks after the event.  Enough said, really!  The guy's a tool.

• Clap 2

3 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Your table mustn’t have heard her forewarning all about the impending Collingwood remark and how it’s not to be taken out of context. 

This is my thinking, too.  I wonder if some there that night simply heard her mention Collingwood, and then let their hatred of the filth distord the objectivity of what it was she was actually trying to say.  Those of us on the Demon Army table didn't see any negativity in what she was saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

The journo was Sam McClure, and it was reported 3 weeks after the event.  Enough said, really!  The guy's a tool.

Even more to my point. Thanks Kat 💕

PS your Gussy helmet was swimming on your head last night, right? Solution: pull the strings at the back to tighten it. Sounds crazy, right? But you never know, it might just work! 😂🤣😅 

3 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

This is my thinking, too.  I wonder if some there that night simply heard her mention Collingwood, and then let their hatred of the filth distord the objectivity of what it was she was actually trying to say.  Those of us on the Demon Army table didn't see any negativity in what she was saying.

Besides, if you know Kate well (which we do) you wouldn’t even need to be forewarned. 

• Clap 1

14 hours ago, Demonsterative said:

Totes agree. The club and supporters are followers in too many areas and wait for something to happen. We are too PC and wanting to be liked rather than respected. 

Being asked to be louder in 2022 is seen as offensive. Maybe we were not creating an energy fitting of lifting our players to be better in a finals series. Maybe we were mirroring what the players were projecting in field. It was not good enough either way. the MCG was flat lining that night, no doubt. 

The club stood back with Gus and his health. We allowed a narrative for the Filth to be seen as victims as Maynard may miss finals. Eddie showed his passion. I hated it, but it has to be respected.

The club stood back in his retirement when Gus mentioned the Maynard incident being a big factor to him retiring early. Have not heard the club going hard for a club history making Premiership player losing his passion and job. Is the club too worried about aligning itself with the AFL and the concussion legal issues? If so, in the process, Gus gets light weight backing from the club. Not a way to treat of club champions. 

I don’t wanna be so disrespectful as Eddie and the filth, but I want more from the club in making a point of view other than backing our coach being subject to gambling and drug taking rumours. 

Absolutely Spot On

37 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Even more to my point. Thanks Kat 💕

PS your Gussy helmet was swimming on your head last night, right? Solution: pull the strings at the back to tighten it. Sounds crazy, right? But you never know, it might just work! 😂🤣😅 

I don't want to pull it too tight because it was pinning my glasses to my head and it was uncomfortable!!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I don't want to pull it too tight because it was pinning my glasses to my head and it was uncomfortable!!

I’m considering wearing mine around the house… a solution to my innate clumsiness. 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sorry, I need to correct myself and say that I didn't mean the demon Army don't make noise, in fact I meant that you guys indeed make a lot of noise and she needed to be specific instead of lumping all supporters in the same boat if that was the case.

My brother in law attended who's a mad Demon supporter and attends every game. He shook his head in disbelief considering the timing of her comments was really right in the middle of the Joel Smith news that broke our regarding the text messages etc. 

He too felt that the last thing she needed to comment on was telling supporters that we don't cheer loud enough.

When all this fiasco was going on over the summer she went missing unfortunately and all we could do is send Max to be the face of it all.

You really do get sensitive over someone face palming your comment.. considering you do it a fair bit to my posts and I can easily just brush it aside then I think that speaks volume on you.

You're happy to completely shut @Dr. Gonzo down with his opinion but can't take a face palm reaction.. oh dear.

With all due respects, given the season launch was on the same day as Gus announced his retirement, most people were thinking about him, not Joel Smith, but anyway.

I find it ironic you should say WCW is sensitive, given the sensitive way you're reacting to the president of the club say cheer louder.  Wow.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Sorry, I need to correct myself and say that I didn't mean the demon Army don't make noise, in fact I meant that you guys indeed make a lot of noise and she needed to be specific instead of lumping all supporters in the same boat *if that was the case.

**My brother in law attended

He too felt that the last thing she needed to comment on was ***telling supporters that we don't cheer loud enough.

****You're happy to completely shut @Dr. Gonzo down with his opinion but can't take a face palm reaction.. oh dear.

* That WASN’T the case.

** But you didn’t attend (Chinese whispers etc.)

*** Kate NEVER said this.

**** I didn’t shut Dr Gonzo down. I simply told him I wasn’t prepared to read his post because it started with “this is incorrect.” And as I stated to him…. I know what I heard Kate say.

Edit: I don’t know why I bothered responding to you. You’re belligerent and combative, which is bad enough in and of itself but is further compounded by the fact that you’re only this way with a select very few posters. The word gutless comes to mind. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
I just realised the futility of engaging with this stubborn, ignorant person
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Why?  In a lot of ways I agree with her.  At the risk of sounding controversial, in the Demon Army, we get feedback from the players group that while the DA bay is loud, the rest of the stadium comes across a lot of the times as crickets.  The players notice this, and they're the ones giving the feedback.  They want the crowds to be louder, they feel inspired to do better when they're being cheered on, but when the crowds are not as loud as opposition crowds, they think, what are we doing? This is direct feedback we're getting, before some of you shoot the messenger. 

I look back at the Fremantle game at the MCG, where there is no doubt the Demons crowd massively outnumbered the Freo crowd, yet, when you watch the replay on TV, you wouldn't think that based on the noise - the Freo crowd made far louder noises than the Melbourne crowd, particularly in the Northern and Ponsford stands.  I have no issue with what Kate said, I didn't then and I don't now.  If Melbourne supporters don't like hearing you don't cheer loud enough, do something about it and cheer louder.

where we sit ( bottom level M53) it is very loud, theres 3 bays of dees reserved that are loud a lot of the time too, not sure about afl members side

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Im sorry DD, but Roffey did not say that our supporters dont cheer loud enough, it was quite the opposite.

Again your BIL must not of heard properly or heard what she said. Collingwood supporters are loud all the time, she wanted our supporters to be loud all the time because it helps lift the spirit of the team. She said there is a lot of Die Hard supporters still out there and wants everyone to get along to games to support the team.

I was there and strongly disagree with anyone that says there was frowns and groans about this, in fact there was a bit of hoo rah as soon as she said the end part ( about coming along and supporting the team) She also congratulated every supporters loyalty for growing YoY.

She also literally prefaced what she was saying about being like Collingwood and not to take her out of context. 

id love our supporters to be as loud as pies supporters, albeit tame the swearing bs down lol

Im sorry DD, but Roffey did not say that our supporters dont cheer loud enough, it was quite the opposite.

Again your BIL must not of heard properly or heard what she said. Collingwood supporters are loud all the time, she wanted our supporters to be loud all the time because it helps lift the spirit of the team. She said there is a lot of Die Hard supporters still out there and wants everyone to get along to games to support the team.

I was there and strongly disagree with anyone that says there was frowns and groans about this, in fact there was a bit of hoo rah as soon as she said the end part ( about coming along and supporting the team) She also congratulated every supporters loyalty for growing YoY.

She also literally prefaced what she was saying about being like Collingwood and not to take her out of context. 

id love our supporters to be as loud as pies supporters, albeit tame the swearing bs down lol

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2