Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


Any word on Angus?


pitmaster

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Was not commenting on Maynard and Murphy. That was a real footy accident.

irony is that a Pie may be forced out of the game and Angus is free to choose to play on or not. 

The fact that  as it was Maynard also with Murphy is now another ironic part I was not centred upon.

Possible Karma for Pies ( totally Unlucky for player Murphy who we hope makes a complete recovery ) from a footy accident when the other incident was not an accident IMO. 

Yeah I get that, just commenting the irony of Maynard aka The Dog was involved.  That's all

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, old dee said:

It's time for him to quit, seriously there is more to life tell Nate.

Agree. He'll likely have 50+ years post footy. It's a long time to suffer migraines, CTE or whatever multiple concussions could very likely cause. Nathan passed the test on game day because he'd memorised the answers. He ruled himself out as he had blurred vision.

No way would I mention it to Nathan, but I'm sure his parents have. He's a talented cricketer so that might be a path he could follow.

Edited by M_9
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

Yeah I get that, just commenting the irony of Maynard aka The Dog was involved.  That's all

Amazingly the Pies got a free kick from this when Murphy essentially ran his head into McArthy who pretty much had the ball when it happened. BS free kick that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just walked past him in the foyer of my workplace. Seems he is working for another a company who shares tenancy with my employer. Had another Melbourne tragic with me at the time. Was it wrong that we were both overawed and didn’t interrupt his conversation with his colleague. 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Just walked past him in the foyer of my workplace. Seems he is working for another a company who shares tenancy with my employer. Had another Melbourne tragic with me at the time. Was it wrong that we were both overawed and didn’t interrupt his conversation with his colleague. 

The dribbling wouldn't have been a good look though!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Just walked past him in the foyer of my workplace. Seems he is working for another a company who shares tenancy with my employer. Had another Melbourne tragic with me at the time. Was it wrong that we were both overawed and didn’t interrupt his conversation with his colleague. 

NEVER pass up an opportunity to yarn with a Dees player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Melbourne midfield star Angus Brayshaw has been given formal approval to continue his AFL career as he made an impressive return to pre-season training on Monday.

Brayshaw was knocked out in the Demons’ qualifying final loss to Collingwood in one of the most dramatic moments of the season, with good friend Brayden Maynard ultimately cleared by the AFL appeals board.

Brayshaw’s brother said in the immediate aftermath he would consider his football future but as his symptoms cleared Demons mid Angus was always determined to continue his AFL career.

On Monday as the Demons senior players returned to training with a 2km time trial Brayshaw ran impressively in baking Melbourne heat then joined his teammates in training.

The fluro yellow hat which indicated he was not yet allowed contact was the only indication that Brayshaw would be treated differently to his teammates.

The Demons have ticked every medical box and had his return approved by the AFL, which means a player contracted to 2028 will have ambitious plans to play a full 2024 season.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Brayshaw was knocked out in the Demons’ qualifying final loss to Collingwood in one of the most dramatic moments of the season, with good friend Brayden Maynard ultimately cleared by the AFL appeals board.

 

Oh please.

Edited by gs77
  • Like 7
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/11/2023 at 06:58, Bystander said:

That "expert" evidence was inexpert. And barely challenged. Maynard's intent was to collect Brayshaw.

I challenged it. Tracked the clown down on google (not difficult) and wrote to him the morning after the hearing at his Catholic University email. Told him I was no bio-mechanic but I could recognise tripe when I see it.

Still waiting for a reply.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/11/2023 at 11:26, jnrmac said:

My understanding is the AFL ran the case and their lawyers had no right of reply and/or were very limited in how they could respond to the outrageous claims by the COll camp.

 

Whether this was by design or how its done I don't know.

 

And certainly having a well known Collingwood supporter as the Tribunal Chair was a ridiculous conflict. It all added up to the AFL wanted Maynard to get off

Word from a journo who observed the hearing was that the AFL ran a very weak prosecution...going through the motions.

  • Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pitmaster said:

I challenged it. Tracked the clown down on google (not difficult) and wrote to him the morning after the hearing at his Catholic University email. Told him I was no bio-mechanic but I could recognise tripe when I see it.

Still waiting for a reply.

good work Pitmaster. Perhaps a less confrontational and more conciliatory approach asking how the natural human response of putting out arms was overcome and turning to shoulder impact was considered a more suitable approach from a bio-mechanic perspective, might be more likely to get a response.

I understand this would be a more self protective action but would ignore any duty of care responsibility. Does he believe a greater awareness should be given to players. Could Maynards action have been penalised to set an example of this responsibility.?

The movement seems to be ignoring the impacts of shoulder to head, does he believe it is ok to target the head  or should it be sacred?

I also understand there was an increasing number of wrist and arm injuries as that natural instinct was prevalent in skateboarding and snowboarding. Wrist guards were  introduced to limit these injuries.

Theres no compensation for Gus or the club who were obviously severely affected and lost the past battle, but there may be, to use our coaches well worn phrase, some learnings that we all could see. At the moment it seems there is a continuation of violent football acts where self propelled human battering rams can inflict damage at crucial times.  

  • Like 3
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dpositive said:

good work Pitmaster. Perhaps a less confrontational and more conciliatory approach asking how the natural human response of putting out arms was overcome and turning to shoulder impact was considered a more suitable approach from a bio-mechanic perspective, might be more likely to get a response.

 

Perhaps I sold myself short in my earlier post, dpositive, since I did attempt a reasoned argument in my email to that fellow. It's just that earlier I offered the punch line.

In the email to the biomechanic, and in response to his evidence that having jumped in the air Maynard was "essentially a projectile", I remarked: "What you are saying is that an athlete who jumps in the air is a missile with no ability to shape what happens next. Good luck with that line talking to a room of gymnasts."

I pointed out: "as a professional athlete of many years' standing Maynard has spent half his lifetime in gymnasiums and has a strong core formed by weight training and pilates sessions. He was able to guide himself in mid-air. Your projectile comment would be laughable had it not helped create a precedent for future concussion events."

See? It wasn't all slagging off. Just some of it, and I would say, deservedly so.

I stopped short of calling him bogus, so there was some restraint.

 

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think there is any reasonable person that could put hand-on-heart and say that the action was not a deliberate ploy to hurt Gus.  He is a thug , deserved a long suspension and deserved to miss the grand final and that medal. That medal is now as tainted as Cripps’s Brownlow. However this thread is about Gus and I want to hear positives about how he is going both physically and mentally. I know that physically he is likely to be ok, but I worry about the lingering metal scars that act might have and how this will affect his play. I am however, really tired of posters bringing up and repeating the event over and over again. My thought is to let it rest and save the anger for our next game against the pies. None of us will forget this act that’s for sure.

  • Like 4
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, pitmaster said:

Perhaps I sold myself short in my earlier post, dpositive, since I did attempt a reasoned argument in my email to that fellow. It's just that earlier I offered the punch line.

In the email to the biomechanic, and in response to his evidence that having jumped in the air Maynard was "essentially a projectile", I remarked: "What you are saying is that an athlete who jumps in the air is a missile with no ability to shape what happens next. Good luck with that line talking to a room of gymnasts."

I pointed out: "as a professional athlete of many years' standing Maynard has spent half his lifetime in gymnasiums and has a strong core formed by weight training and pilates sessions. He was able to guide himself in mid-air. Your projectile comment would be laughable had it not helped create a precedent for future concussion events."

See? It wasn't all slagging off. Just some of it, and I would say, deservedly so.

I stopped short of calling him bogus, so there was some restraint.

 

yeah good work as i indicated then. Pity there is no response but i guess its pretty hard to defend the indefensible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

I don’t think there is any reasonable person that could put hand-on-heart and say that the action was not a deliberate ploy to hurt Gus.  He is a thug , deserved a long suspension and deserved to miss the grand final and that medal. That medal is now as tainted as Cripps’s Brownlow. However this thread is about Gus and I want to hear positives about how he is going both physically and mentally. I know that physically he is likely to be ok, but I worry about the lingering metal scars that act might have and how this will affect his play. I am however, really tired of posters bringing up and repeating the event over and over again. My thought is to let it rest and save the anger for our next game against the pies. None of us will forget this act that’s for sure.

Wholeheartedly agree. We all see how one can brace themselves by using hands instead of the shoulder. I think there was an almost unconscious manifestation of intent in his action. Still disgusting was the whole unification of the media bar a few select individuals that supported Maynard and upheld the Maynard is the victim narrative. ill never look at those [censored] the same again. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, pitmaster said:

I challenged it. Tracked the clown down on google (not difficult) and wrote to him the morning after the hearing at his Catholic University email. Told him I was no bio-mechanic but I could recognise tripe when I see it.

Still waiting for a reply.

Clown for hire.

I wonder how much he got for his crappy cameo?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

My thought is to let it rest and save the anger for our next game against the pies. None of us will forget this act that’s for sure

It's interesting.

Because as much as I condemn the whole violent episode, I'm secretly hanging out for the revenge game.

In a completely fair and flattening event of course.

Just Lots and lots of smothering.

And maybe sometimes on the ball.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

It's interesting.

Because as much as I condemn the whole violent episode, I'm secretly hanging out for the revenge game.

In a completely fair and flattening event of course.

Just Lots and lots of smothering.

And maybe sometimes on the ball.

Agreed.

I feel there is a primevil human motivation for vengeance and violence against Collingwood the next time we play them.  The logical part of my brain says it may not be the right one, but the emotive part definitely feels that way.

When I do think about it more deeply, what I think would satisfy this lust for blood is to categorically demolish Collingwood on the scoreboard every time we play them for the next decade, leaving their low life supporter group humiliated, depressed and bring home the flag next year in a totally dominant season from start to finish.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agreed.

I feel there is a primevil human motivation for vengeance and violence against Collingwood the next time we play them.  The logical part of my brain says it may not be the right one, but the emotive part definitely feels that way.

When I do think about it more deeply, what I think would satisfy this lust for blood is to categorically demolish Collingwood on the scoreboard every time we play them for the next decade, leaving their low life supporter group humiliated, depressed and bring home the flag next year in a totally dominant season from start to finish.

That would do it for me.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Opening Round vs Sydney

    The Demons head up to Sydney to open the 2024 AFL Season against the Swans at the SCG. Who will debut for the Dees? Will Clarry be recalled to the team?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 157

    PODCAST: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Thursday, 29th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Practice Match victory over the Blues at Ikon Park. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 66

    POSTGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demons had total control of the practice match against the Blues taking out the honours and running out victors by 38 points at Ikon Park.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 270

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 308

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...