PREGAME: SF vs Carlton

Demonland

Let's take a look at matchups!

Potential Carlton team with no McKay and Martin

HF: L. Fogarty (McVee)  T. De Konig (Tomlinson)  M. Cottrell (Salem)

F: M. Owies (Lever)  C. Curnow (May)   Z. FIsher (McVee)

Just now, SthSea22 said:

Let's take a look at matchups!

Potential Carlton team with no McKay and Martin

HF: L. Fogarty (McVee)  T. De Konig (Tomlinson)  M. Cottrell (Salem)

F: M. Owies (Lever)  C. Curnow (May)   Z. FIsher (McVee)

McVee will be busy 😂

• Haha 10

5 minutes ago, mrtwister said:

McVee will be busy 😂

My bad LOL

HF: L. Fogarty (Salem)  T. De Konig (Tomlinson)  M. Cottrell (Bowey)

F: M. Owies (Lever)  C. Curnow (May)   Z. FIsher (McVee)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, binman said:

Jvr did terribly in the ruck.

15 ruck contests for one hit out.

Tmac nor much better.  Nine ruck contests for one hit out.

Two hitouts from 24 ruck contests from our two back up rucks. Not great.

This was def a factor in why we couldn't get more goals from our inside 50s.

We have been really good at scoring from stoppages in the last 6 weeks. But could only manage 2 goals 2 this week (they only scored 2 points from stoppages!)

Lets say 16 of those rich contests were inside 50. And we'll be generous and say both hit outs were inside 50 too.

Pretty hard to scrounge a goal from a stoppage inside 50 if we cant win a ruck contest.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

If it ends up being Schache and not Grundy, which is a finely balanced argument, I know Schache cops a lot of heat on here, and rightly so, haven't seen him do much.

The reality is that he is in for JVR - who did not do much last week, a quiet game by his standards and no goals. Did well in the ruck, which I think Schache can fairly well match, and I don't think we can go astray with another tall in the forward, in the hope that the ball falls on him. If he gives us 1-2 goals, it's 1-2 more than last week, and will be a big win.

I don't love it, but it's fair to say we don't have much other option. Grundy is not a forward, he has told as so, and putting Max forward negates the impact of the best ruck in the comp. We'd be doing them a solid. Let's just get Trac, Fritter and the smalls trapping the ball in the 50 and kicking truly when they get a chance. 

I'm a no for Schache (I want to see him do well but he just doesn't seem a competitor) but you've argued that pretty well.

Goody and the match committee are very much process driven people.  Each player plays a role and if someone is injured or suspended then the next person in line comes in.  If Schache is not to play in this circumstance then why re-sign him.  If the delivery is good, he is actually capable.  Could his job be to nullify Weitering?

(Btw I'd still lean to Grundy))

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, binman said:

Jvr did terribly in the ruck.

15 ruck contests for one hit out.

Tmac nor much better.  Nine ruck contests for one hit out.

Two hitouts from 24 ruck contests from our two back up rucks. Not great.

Hard ask for 2 blokes 193cm up against a 211cm and 204cm 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2023 at 11:04 PM, Jaded No More said:

If you’re raging about the tribunal, wait for the one sided umpiring on Friday night to help Carlton make the Grand Final. 

Has to be mentioned, factored into the result, secure as it will never be commented upon. The next adversity!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I think if Schache kicks 2 goals, competes well in the air and does serviceable in the ruck then we'll probably be ok. 

If Schache did any one of those three things at a decent standard, he would have played far more than 1 and a bit games this year. Unfortunately he doesn't, which is why he's languishing in the VFL at his third club.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, loges said:

Schache is a very soft player,big risk playing him in a final.

He's payed in finals, and played a huge negating role on Alir in the 2021 prelim for the Dogs. He was one of their best that night. People calling for Turner to play as forward (which isn't happening now anyway) is insane. Surely we don't go with Grundy either which didn't work last time against Carlton. The coaching staff gave up after a half.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 2

Just to clarify what I read in the last minute regarding Tomlinson & Hibberd:

We had a team that was winning and playing well with Tomlinson alongside Lever & May.

We dumped Tomlinson after Richmond, brought him back against Hawthorn, then dumped him again for no reason to play Turner against Sydney. Turner wasn't great, but the team still won.

We then dumped Turner to play Hibberd against Collingwood. After a slow start Hibberd was okay, but the team lost.

We are now bringing back Tomlinson to play against Carlton without McKay, even though he didn't play when McKay did play in round 22. 

The question is why, oh why, would you keep stuffing around with the competition's best defence at this stage of the season?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, poita said:

Just to clarify what I read in the last minute regarding Tomlinson & Hibberd:

We had a team that was winning and playing well with Tomlinson alongside Lever & May.

We dumped Tomlinson after Richmond, brought him back against Hawthorn, then dumped him again for no reason to play Turner against Sydney. Turner wasn't great, but the team still won.

We then dumped Turner to play Hibberd against Collingwood. After a slow start Hibberd was okay, but the team lost.

We are now bringing back Tomlinson to play against Carlton without McKay, even though he didn't play when McKay did play in round 22. 

The question is why, oh why, would you keep stuffing around with the competition's best defence at this stage of the season?

As I’ve already said Hibberd is needed against Cameron and Elliot the next 2 weeks and can’t play 4 games in a row on his Achilles. 

• Like 4

We never really got to see the Gawn and Grundy combo in good weather outside preseason and round 1 where is worked well. I think it might be worth one last try we have nothing else to loose. Beyond the other forced changes spargo might be worth a shot the one thing he does well is setup goals with short 20-30 meter passes which is something we sorely missed last week

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 3

2 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

He's payed in finals, and played a huge negating role on Alir in the 2021 prelim for the Dogs. He was one of their best that night. People calling for Turner to play as forward (which isn't happening now anyway) is insane. Surely we don't go with Grundy either which didn't work last time against Carlton. The coaching staff gave up after a half.

That is a good point. He might just be told to play a defensive role on Weitering.

It should be noted however that Port were pathetic that night. They were worse than Geelong in their prelim against us.

• Like 2