PREGAME: Rd 20 vs Richmond

Demonland

The good thing is that Richmond is a small side like us, so we don't have to alter our small structure.

Still I'd be a little disappointed if Hibberd didn't come back in for his traditional Dusty match-up and given Chandler's impressive game on return, then the most likely omission is Woey with Rivers getting a little more time on the ball. 

As to Petty coming back in, I hope if he passes a fitness test, he gets to find 2021 form against Williamstown. 

Smith should still be the sub with Grundy recalled for BBB.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roost it far said:

I’d like to see Tomlinson stay back and have a forward line of Petty, Smith, JVR, Melk, Fritta, Chandler, ANB

That’s too tall and dumb. If BBB is done then just go small and put microchip in Grundy so he is shocked every time he goes more than 30m from goal. Smith, JVR and Petty are just not forwards up to a standard we need to move the footy against the best… he’ll even middling teams would bottle them up. Go Brown or go small.

Also where is Track and Kozzie??

You know what, go back and try again.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

As I understand it, Grundy was locked in to play for Casey one more time so that’s where he plays again this week.

Nobody has explained to me why the Petty to key forward experiment was abandoned after he did so well before he was injured in the first half vs Hawthorn. He plays there in place of BBB this week. 

Bowey looked injured in yesterday’s game and it would not surprise if he was declared unfit for a couple of weeks due to a flesh wound or other mystery ailment. To be replaced by Hibberd who was outstanding in the VFL. 

In summary:

In: Hibberd, Petty

Out: Bowey (injured), Brown (omitted)

• Like 1

IN: Petty, Grundy

OUT: Tomlinson, Brown

• Vomit 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:01 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Woey had one kick today that was better than any of Hunter kicks in the last two months. Give him a half as the main wingman and if he’s floundering with positioning or work rate then sub Hunter on or switch it up.

Woey's fitness / running capacity is first class.  Probably would manage on a wing with chop outs from Gus  or Hunter as sub in the early trial stages.

Positioning could be a thing but has played a fair bit of time on the wing with Casey and played it pretty well.  Does that convert to AFL standards though?  Not necessarily.

It's a risky call & something that would take a fair degree of patience from Goody &  Co. before it might pay off.

Doubt they'd be willing to take such a risk at this point, especially with finals not too far away.

On 7/23/2023 at 7:12 PM, DeeSpencer said:

What is the point of Lachie Hunter? He’s utterly ineffective.

176 metres gained. 5 pressure acts. 3 score involvements.

Give Taj a proper crack on the wing. He might make some positional errors but he’s not afraid to run with the ball and he can compete in the air.

I don’t really care who comes in. Harmes, Spargo, Hibbo and sliding Salem, Riv or Bowser up.

IMO Hunter has been one of our most consistent all year, he does his job week in week out, sometimes he bites more than he can chew with a few kicks on occasion but besides that he links well for us on the wing and gives much more freedom to Langdon who’s picked up a little form lately as well. Hunter does his job, what more can we ask for?

• Like 13
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, rpfc said:

That’s too tall and dumb. If BBB is done then just go small and put microchip in Grundy so he is shocked every time he goes more than 30m from goal. Smith, JVR and Petty are just not forwards up to a standard we need to move the footy against the best… he’ll even middling teams would bottle them up. Go Brown or go small.

Also where is Track and Kozzie??

You know what, go back and try again.

Brown, TMac, Petty, May, Trac and Chandler?

9 hours ago, Leopold Bloom said:

As I understand it, Grundy was locked in to play for Casey one more time so that’s where he plays again this week.

Nobody has explained to me why the Petty to key forward experiment was abandoned after he did so well before he was injured in the first half vs Hawthorn. He plays there in place of BBB this week. 

Bowey looked injured in yesterday’s game and it would not surprise if he was declared unfit for a couple of weeks due to a flesh wound or other mystery ailment. To be replaced by Hibberd who was outstanding in the VFL. 

In summary:

In: Hibberd, Petty

Out: Bowey (injured), Brown (omitted)

Don't worry, no-one has explained it to me either. They won't return my calls.. 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Leopold Bloom said:

He might need more than two weeks to find any mojo as a part time forward if Saturday's game is anything to go by.

12 disposals, 12 hit outs and 1 goal 3 behinds is not exactly progress as a part time forward / mostly ruck against a VFL team with zero wins imv.

And yes, of course he shouldn't be judged on one week's performance but he probably shouldn't on two weeks either.  Hence he may need more time imv 

Scache and even Jefferson looked more dangerous as forwards and were more effective with 2 goals a piece and similar output with 10 disposals each.

Only my amature view from the sidelines but does he look a few kilos too heavy / clunky in the legs post injury??

Maybe lightening up a little might help his game going forward, including covering the ground a little quicker plus getting off the ground but that won't happen this season (if it is a factor).

Edited by Demon Dynasty

4 hours ago, JJR said:

IMO Hunter has been one of our most consistent all year, he does his job week in week out, sometimes he bites more than he can chew with a few kicks on occasion but besides that he links well for us on the wing and gives much more freedom to Langdon who’s picked up a little form lately as well. Hunter does his job, what more can we ask for?

Why do people hate Hunter so much? It's wrong, obnoxious, egregious, preposterous, outrageous, un-woke and supercilious.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Makes me sad but don’t see BBB viable going forward. Therefore either Grundy or Schache in. Smith too short for the role and is the perfect sub. Forward talk for Grundy may just mean Max ruck and his traditional intercept marking in backline while Grundy ruck and Forward. Get the negative talk around Schache not going hard but I’ve seen him backing into packs at Casey so don’t agree he is soft and he has been kicking goals.

IMO Richmond win this.  They've got very close to their best line-up available.  Yes they are missing Nankervis, but Soldo is capable replacement, Lynch is a big out - I think if he was available they'd be a real threat in finals this season.

They have a strong backline with Balta, Grimes, Vlaustuin, Broad and Rioli.  They have their full midfield complement and it's very deep: Taranto, Prestia, Bolton, Martin, Hopper, Baker, McIntosh, Ross, Pickett, Cotchin.  As above, their forward line would be much better with Lynch in, but they have sufficient dangerous avenues with Riewoldt, Martin and Bolton.

They're playing for their season and we're looking beaten up - Jack Viney, who has been carrying us for weeks, needs a rest and he won't be able to get it this week.  Clarrie can't come back quick enough now - we may get some respite vs North the following week.

There'll be "season-over" vibes on Demonland following the match, but I don't buy into that, we're still a very decent shot at the flag despite my pessimism about this week.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, old55 said:

IMO Richmond win this.  They've got very close to their best line-up available.  Yes they are missing Nankervis, but Soldo is capable replacement, Lynch is a big out - I think if he was available they'd be a real threat in finals this season.

They have a strong backline with Balta, Grimes, Vlaustuin, Broad and Rioli.  They have their full midfield complement and it's very deep: Taranto, Prestia, Bolton, Martin, Hopper, Baker, McIntosh, Ross, Pickett, Cotchin.  As above, their forward line would be much better with Lynch in, but they have sufficient dangerous avenues with Riewoldt, Martin and Bolton.

They're playing for their season and we're looking beaten up - Jack Viney, who has been carrying us for weeks, needs a rest and he won't be able to get it this week.  Clarrie can't come back quick enough now - we may get some respite vs North the following week.

There'll be "season-over" vibes on Demonland following the match, but I don't buy into that, we're still a very decent shot at the flag despite my pessimism about this week.

Yeah, we are going to drop games while missing 2 of our top 7 players. I just want to see some exciting footy; there is no point in making it 60-70 slugfest.

45 minutes ago, DeeMee said:

Makes me sad but don’t see BBB viable going forward. Therefore either Grundy or Schache in. Smith too short for the role and is the perfect sub. Forward talk for Grundy may just mean Max ruck and his traditional intercept marking in backline while Grundy ruck and Forward. Get the negative talk around Schache not going hard but I’ve seen him backing into packs at Casey so don’t agree he is soft and he has been kicking goals.

Schache’s not soft he lacks that extra 1% of wanting the ball ahead of the other guy. Probably worth another shot but it appears unlikely 

8 minutes ago, old55 said:

the nauseating feeling of mfcss this induces in me is not fun

• Like 1

I think people are overrating Richmond again

Their last month:

- Smashed by Brisbane by 81 points at the Gabba

- Beat Sydney at the MCG by 13 points

- Beat West Coast by 38 points

- Beat Hawthorn by 1 point after trailing all game

They are still a threat, especially with Dusty in good form, and they took it right up to us earlier in the year, so of course we have to take them seriously.

But they will struggle to make the 8, with games still to come against us, Dogs, Saints and Port away. They had the draw, but so did Geelong and Carlton, who are on the same number of points, but have a far better percentage.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Despite my prediction of a loss this week I think there are changes we have made and can continue to refine to give a better overall outcome this season.

We've recognised that we need to be more offensive and are playing Petracca forward and Kossie higher and this has been very effective.  We probably lose against St.Kilda, Brisbane and Adelaide without these changes - well done to the FD.  There has been a cost to playing Kossie higher and that's we've lost i50 defensive capability, this has been exacerbated by Brown and Melksham in for Smith and Fritsch.

My suggested solution is to play Smith forward for Woey.  Smith's pace and physicality provides pressure at ground level and in addition he's an aerial threat.  Yes Woey has shown a nice cameo and looks a capable Jordon replacement when he leaves at the end of the year, but he's not up to speed for the pointy end of the season.

People ask "why didn't we persist with Petty forward?", there's two reasons - he's great in defence with May and Lever and Ben Brown completed his mini-pre-season and was ready to go.  BB has tried heroically but I don't think it's working as well as hoped.  The FD will want to bring Grundy back to relieve Max who can't ruck out the season solo.  We do lose forward craft with Grundy for BBB but this can be alleviated somewhat by including Smith as an aerial threat.  Whether they pull the trigger on Grundy this week or wait another week remains to be seen.

My forward 7 for the run home is Gawndy (BB currently), JVR, Fritsch (Melksham currently), Smith (Woey currently), ANB, Kossie, Chandler - with some strong minutes from Petracca.

I don't really care if Petty comes back this week or next week for Tomlinson.  Hibberd could come in for McVee or Bowey - both of whom would be stiff - but maybe McVee needs a spell for a week.  It's not out of the question that Hibberd could come in for Tomlinson given Richmond have only Riewoldt and Miller as tall options but I'd prefer the 3 tall backs to prevent Lever having to go 1-on-1.  I'd like to see us retain some dynamism this week in the sub and would promote Harmes who can also come on to give some midfield minutes and spare Viney.

Changes: Smith for Woey and Harmes to sub

Possibilities:
Grundy for BBB
Hibberd for McVee
Petty for Tomlinson

I still think we lose anyway but it sets us up better for the run home.

Edited by old55
  • Like 1

For mine we need Hibbo back this week. Richmond have too many dangerous smalls, and this dude called Dusty who can do a thing or two. 

McVee might be due for a rest anyway. Bowey has to stay in, we can't lose one of the few really good ball users in our side, especially if we are trying to play more attacking footy. 

• Like 2