POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

Suns came to play and had a real dip. They are not a bad side when on and the conditions seemed pretty greasy. Was a tough contested game of footy and we took the 4 points, not sure what some here are whinging about.

We got a couple of decisions go our way in the last but overall I thought the umpires were absolutely putrid again tonight. Some dodgy frees going their way right in front of goal that fox footy refused to show replays of so we have no idea what they were actually for or whether they were there. You have umps paying frees at stoppages and then blowing advantage once everyone has stopped to see whose free kick it is (I thought they weren't allowed to pay advantage out of a stoppage? Or was that another "interpretation" that only existed for a week or two until they decide to roll it out again?) You had May getting knocked down after taking a mark, no 50. Hunter called HTB after getting a clean handball away, get how many times did they just throw/drop it out of the tackle and nothing? There were numerous other umpiring calls that seemed to be solely about keeping the Suns in the game. I can understand home cooked umpiring in WA and SA but on the Gold Coast where we probably had as many supporters as they did? Give me a spell.

Fritsch missed three set shots he usually wouldn't, Rivers coughed up that goal in the last and another where we fumbled and fell to ground. Kozzy and Chandler were pretty quiet, I thought Jordon should've been subbed off instead of Turner especially with their tall forwards troubling us.

Overall this was a tough game of footy and a lot of players looked spent in the last 5-10 minutes. We had all the run until the stop in play to allow Ballard to go off and that seemed to turn the momentum a bit as Anderson kicked a goal shortly after, had we got the next one it was probably lights out. But the game followed the same pattern each quarter we got out to a few goals then they reeled us in. Rowell and Anderson were great around the contest and Swallow did a decent job on Clarry. The Suns aren't a bad side they've just been underperforming. They rolled the Cats only a few weeks ago let's not forget. But apparently some on here are writing us off based on not winning well enough 🤦‍♂️

I thought it was a gutsy win and class won out in the end. Yes we got let off the hook with that last shot at goal but so what. How many times has the shoe been on the other foot over the years, it's nice that we can finally scrap wins when not playing at our best. Bank the 4 points and move on to next week, and for those who are sooking it up take a look at the ladder, we are currently on top.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 14
  • Love 4
  • Clap 3

Suns v Dees 

frustration and then relief in Dees 5 point win 

Suns won 

contested possessions 149-123

clearances 42-36

marks 94-66

Dees won

tackles 66-44

inside 50s 61-45  (but low impact inside 50) 

Dees overhandballing again

Dees kicks 177 handballs 146  

Suns more effective with the footy

Suns 227 kicks 121 handballs 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh and Brad Johnson can get stuffed, trying to get JVR suspended for trying to spoil a mark and yet not a peep about Chol's far worse swinging forearm to Bowey's head in the 2nd. Dunstall and King trying to will the Sun's over the line and point out frees they should've got but no reviews of the dodgy ones they did get which handed them goals on a platter. Pathetic from the broadcasters but I expect nothing less.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Oh and Brad Johnson can get stuffed, trying to get JVR suspended for trying to spoil a mark and yet not a peep about Child's far worse swinging forearm to Bowey's head in the 2nd. Dunstall and King trying to will the Sun's over the line and point out frees they should've got but no reviews of the dodgy ones they did get which handed them goals on a platter. Pathetic from the broadcasters but I expect nothing less.

JVR should be right to go nothing in it, if he is sighted playes should come out in ballerina dresses to play.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, kev martin said:

Went to the Sporting Globe in Richmond. No atmosphere, no commentary for the first 15 minutes (playing Adelaide v Geelong). Only one Melbourne supporter in the room I'm was in. Could anyone suggest a public place to watch when we aren't in Melbourne, that is in the Prahran, Richmond, inner city areas?

Barassi's old pub the Mt View?

Great on game day at the G but not 100% confident when we're away.  Worth a phone call maybe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Almost lost it at selection. As soon as Dew named Casboult it was clear we would have to make a late change to bring in another tall. The most obvious choice was probably bringing back Schache or BBB and send Petty back, but instead Goody has the bright idea of bringing in a second gamer who was overwhelmed. Petty ain’t a forward. He has no forward craft and when he does mark up the ground, he’s not a good enough kick inside fifty. At least Schache has a good leg on him in that regard. 

I actually didn’t think May was that bad. He kept King basically statless but he did let Chol take a couple of grabs when he was on him. My biggest take out from the game is that Petty needs to go back. The experiment is over. It should just be Schache, BBB and Tmac competing for that one spot. Also, the Suns are a good side. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make finals.

For those saying we were lucky with the umps in the last qtr, maybe so, but geez we blew some chances. Fritsch missed two regulation shots and Trac completely burnt Grundy in the last few mins.

Very good post. Petty has been wonderful down back and it's a clear case of robbing Peter....... jut hope Bbb comes back in and plays well. Maybe gcs are a better side than most of thought.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SPC said:

Didn’t watch the game due to an event. Should I give the replay a miss? 

You should watch, Viney had a superb game 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Suns pressure was finals quality after the first 20 minutes. Really hard to play against tonight, and wouldn’t let us take a commanding lead at any stage.
Full credit to them.

They would’ve beaten a lot of sides tonight. A lot.

Stoked to get the 4 points but heaps to work on.

Finally, someone who doesn't watch the match like it's a video game.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Very hard to compare players of different generations and I loved Robbie, my favourite player by a mile and a friend.

That is why I chose my words about Clarry carefully.

There's Robbie. Then the rest.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

I never said that todays form is the form we will have in September. I’m saying that currently we are miles off the mark on the key indicators that win you flags; defense and CPs. 
It’s nice to kick big scores, but grand finals are rarely won in a shootout. 
Nothing wrong with winning close games and banking the wins, but if you’re not improving you’re going backwards and it would be foolish not to look at the glaring issues we’ve shown all year.

In my opinion we haven’t yet beaten any really good opposition. Sydney and Dogs are just ok. Brisbane killed us and we got very lucky against the Suns. And outside of that we’ve beaten 3 sides destined for a bottom 4-6 finish  

Some people will never be happy. We're top of the ladder with a 6-2 record. 

I prefer the look of this year than last tbh. Were having a look into the squad depth and still getting the wins on the board. Winning ugly is fine by me

• Like 8
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, SPC said:

Didn’t watch the game due to an event. Should I give the replay a miss? 

It was actually a good game, very tough and contested, pretty scrappy due to the pressure and conditions. Maybe frustrating watching from an MFC perspective but was a good game for a neutral.

• Like 12
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, rufus said:

The issue with May is that you expect the floor for your experienced 30 year olds to be quite high, or at least a consistent level. That's how contending teams need to work...you know and trust what you get from the Senior guys so you can ride the bigger variation in performance from younger players that you try to bring into the team. May, along with some other senior players, just serves up too many complete stinkers. I reckon it would make it damn hard for the coaches dealing with that kind of inconsistency. 

May was fine tonight, played pretty well overall.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 2

2 hours ago, Rednblueriseing said:

Glass half full, we are blooding alot of players early in the season... which should hold us in good shape once the business end of the season comes around, we are getting the points on the board without burning out our best 25 players. 

Hmmm this sounds like Loading mkII - I’m not biting so easily this time.

Logic is sound , but MFCSS defies logic so yeah. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

Some people will never be happy. We're top of the ladder with a 6-2 record. 

I prefer the look of this year than last tbh. Were having a look into the squad depth and still getting the wins on the board. Winning ugly is fine by me

Our tall forward problem is our big weakness.

• Like 2

I must make a mental note not to vent on this forum straight after a close game.  I’ve watched the Goody press conference, watched the boys sing our song and read some of the positive posts made here.

We got the four points (phew), looking forward to next week (one week at a time and all that jazz). GO DEES!!!

• Like 2

I think GC are being underrated by some. They are a massively improving side and will give teams a scare when  playing at home. 

They are a clearance machine ranking number 1 in the league. Rowell and Anderson are 1 and 5. 

Touk Miller would have won them the game tonight. That team can’t take a trick. 

• Like 4