Jump to content

Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

    Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

    We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

    However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

    The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

    Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

    We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

    WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

    Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.


NON-MFC: Rd 07 2023


Demonland

Recommended Posts

I was told St Kilda were some kind of defensive juggernaut? Small sample size I guess.

TBH first time ive watched them for the year, and while I was impressed with their discipline, run/speed and fight at the contest, they really just reminded me of the same middling team that reached their ceiling back in 2020. Same with Port. 5-8 teams at best. 

Although that's what we are: if we're ever off our game, carrying injuries, or playing complacent footy. 

Comforting Friday night footy really. 

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the booing topic, I wonder if he will get boo'd in an interstate non-vic game? And if the boo'ing is some kind of left over remnant of the VICvSA state of origin hatred? Call me crazy, but a lot of dumbo's in the crowd might be in that 40-80 age range that grew up with origin, and carry a  feeling that he jumped ship from a VIC to an SA club. Just a thought.

EDIOT: To go alongside the whole pick 1 leaving after a year media circus going on. So an easy target.

Edited by John Demonic
Not a justification.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

On the booing topic, I wonder if he will get boo'd in an interstate non-vic game, and if the boo'ing is some kind of VICvSA state of origin thing? Call me crazy, but a lot of dumbo's in the crowd might be in that 40-80 age range and carry a tiny lingering feeling that he jumped ship to an SA club? Just a thought.

He was booed at Adelaide Oval when Port played the Bulldogs for the Gather round.

It wasn't Port fans booing.

Disgraceful.   

 

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Imagine changing your employer and then turning up to site with all the proper accreditation, head out and get booed by 'stakeholders', whilst you go about your paid job for 3 hours to provide entertainment for 'stakeholders' on a weekly basis...

Imagine doing so when you are 19.

Imagine thinking, "He's an AFL footballer, it's fair game, it comes with the territory..."

It's an absolute [censored] disgrace by those that do it, and by those that condone it and the apologists.

I am so surprised that where we are culturally in 2023, and how the AFL positions itself around mental health that it has not been addressed by the AFL publicly. The AFL need to disentangle the right to boo about incidents in a match, vs systemic individually directed bullying...

Yes, it's a mental health issue.

Love your post @Engorged Onion. You are 100 percent correct. It's a disgrace. My only observation is this . . . I'm surprised you are surprised! :-). Humanity is, relatively speaking, arrogant, ignorant, and not particularly a species with a high level of consciousness concerning the common good. I know of no other mammal species that conducts itself in such a manner.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

He was booed at Adelaide Oval when Port played the Bulldogs for the gather round.

It wasn't Port fans booing.

Disgraceful.   

 

Well that was an interstate vic-game, hence the state of origin angle. So I was curious to know if he was boo'd against Adelaide, or over in Sydney? And will he be boo'd interstate outside victoria? 

Edited by John Demonic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Well that was an interstate vic-game, hence the state of origin angle. So I was curious to know if he was boo'd against Adelaide, or over in Sydney? And will he be boo'd interstate outside victoria? 

Not sure such a game has happened yet.

He should not be booed by anyone, anywhere.  It is disgraceful that Vic club fans boo him; that any fans boo him.  It is a mob mentality at play.  There is no reason for Vic teams (other than maybe North) to boo him.

Its heartening to hear opp coaches condemning the booing.

It will stop.  The kid is a star.  His football will silence them.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


27 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Not sure such a game has happened yet.

He should not be booed by anyone, anywhere.  It is disgraceful that Vic club fans boo him; that any fans boo him.  It is a mob mentality at play.  There is no reason for Vic teams (other than maybe North) to boo him.

Its heartening to hear opp coaches condemning the booing.

It will stop.  The kid is a star.  His football will silence them.

Agree with that. It's just morbid and weird at this stage. 

I only mention state of origin, because I still remember that visceral feeling in the early-mid 90's as a kid, watching not only origin games on TV, but Adelaide games on TV - there was an intense hatred from the crowd towards visiting victorian clubs, and as a victorian, i barracked for every visiting club to get an 'upset' win. Because even dislike of Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton or Essendon was transcended by a hatred of Adelaide, when it came to games at Footy Park on TV.  

So whenever JHF got the ball and was boo'd, I got the impression that an older generation brought up on that state of origin diet, combines with the media click bait news cycle about him leaving North, combineswith people boo'ing because other people are booing. And now i wonder if this will be confirmed if he does not get boo'd outside parochial Victoria.

But maybe there is just no reasoning or logic to try and understand about it!

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The boos started as a response to the way he left North and have been compounded by Hinkley asking the crowd not to boo. The contrarian element in the crowd will always do the exact opposite of what they are asked to do.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A disappointing 26,000 at a Friday night game whilst top of the ladder.  I'm now expecting Caro's outrage against the saints faithful on Monday.

6 saints goals after 1/4 time.   Welcome back Ross.

Edited by Demon17
spelling mistakes
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BDA said:

The boos started as a response to the way he left North and have been compounded by Hinkley asking the crowd not to boo. The contrarian element in the crowd will always do the exact opposite of what they are asked to do.

I think you’re right.  Good chance it would have already faded if not for the continued focus by the media and club.  People hate being told what to do.

The animosity towards him is because there are thousands and thousands of young people out there that would do anything to play AFL.  They would play anywhere and for anyone, so to see this kid blessed with all this talent, walk out on the club that drafted him number 1 after just 12 months really angers them.  JHF had everything all these young people have dreamt about all their lives and he still demanded more.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tom Boyd was in the same situation:  pick 1, left his drafting club to return home on a mega contract.

He didn't get booed by other clubs but still left the game far too early, depressed and disillusioned.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry gents its whinge time for me.

Is our Tio stadium game against the Giants worth it?

In the literal sense it's worth it, ie financially. I know the club makes more money by the relocation but I'm thinking more about the effects it probably has on the teams energy levels.

I do believe in the first five of our games this year, the 3 interstate games must have taken some toll on the players. Not so much the short flight to Adelaide but flying to Brisbane and Perth would have taxed the players somewhat.  It can be argued the gather travel is not relevant as all clubs do it but not necessarily so close to two other big trips.

With the Tio game we play 7 interstate games not including the gather game and a trip to kardinia which is just as bad. Why is it bad?...the fact that we are only one of 4 Vic clubs to play there says something.  It's a tough gig with the cats huge success rate there.

So it's 8 interstate and a trip to Geelong.

I guess in summary I'm thinking out loud that since the Tio game is in our power to stop, it should be played at the Mcg.

The negatives of travelling is difficult to quantify but I'm sure it has some relevance to the ultimate factor of playing a granny....the number of wins.

If rescheduling the Giants game to the G, increases our chances for a win and maybe preserves our energy for the next game, we should do so. Yes $ are important but in this so called flag window, we should see the flag first and cash later.

It's been a good spectacle in the past and provided much needed funds. But we are a bettervteam now and ultimately it's about enough points to play finals and getting that elusive cup.

Go for the cup Mfc.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John Demonic said:

On the booing topic, I wonder if he will get boo'd in an interstate non-vic game? And if the boo'ing is some kind of left over remnant of the VICvSA state of origin hatred? Call me crazy, but a lot of dumbo's in the crowd might be in that 40-80 age range that grew up with origin, and carry a  feeling that he jumped ship from a VIC to an SA club. Just a thought.

EDIOT: To go alongside the whole pick 1 leaving after a year media circus going on. So an easy target.

One thing you can guarantee is there a lot of dumbos in the crowd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Sorry gents its whinge time for me.

Is our Tio stadium game against the Giants worth it?

In the literal sense it's worth it, ie financially. I know the club makes more money by the relocation but I'm thinking more about the effects it probably has on the teams energy levels.

I do believe in the first five of our games this year, the 3 interstate games must have taken some toll on the players. Not so much the short flight to Adelaide but flying to Brisbane and Perth would have taxed the players somewhat.  It can be argued the gather travel is not relevant as all clubs do it but not necessarily so close to two other big trips.

With the Tio game we play 7 interstate games not including the gather game and a trip to kardinia which is just as bad. Why is it bad?...the fact that we are only one of 4 Vic clubs to play there says something.  It's a tough gig with the cats huge success rate there.

So it's 8 interstate and a trip to Geelong.

I guess in summary I'm thinking out loud that since the Tio game is in our power to stop, it should be played at the Mcg.

The negatives of travelling is difficult to quantify but I'm sure it has some relevance to the ultimate factor of playing a granny....the number of wins.

If rescheduling the Giants game to the G, increases our chances for a win and maybe preserves our energy for the next game, we should do so. Yes $ are important but in this so called flag window, we should see the flag first and cash later.

It's been a good spectacle in the past and provided much needed funds. But we are a bettervteam now and ultimately it's about enough points to play finals and getting that elusive cup.

Go for the cup Mfc.

If we play at the G instead of Alice we lose the MCG compensation 'home' game (vs Hawks most years).  So we would probably travel somewhere else instead or play more at Marvel.  At least this year we have only one trip to Perth; it is usually two.

Swings and roudabouts.

And it won't change!

p.s I am not a 'woke' but may I point out that 'Sorry gents its whinge time for me' is a bit out of date.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BDA said:

The boos started as a response to the way he left North and have been compounded by Hinkley asking the crowd not to boo. The contrarian element in the crowd will always do the exact opposite of what they are asked to do.

The worst thing you can do is tell people not to boo.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, BDA said:

is it ok to say guys?

Good question, and if not there needs to be a good 'catch all' term. One of the recommendations in a workplace setting is to say something like "Hey team". Doesn't strike the same, need a plural term.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, layzie said:

Good question, and if not there needs to be a good 'catch all' term. One of the recommendations in a workplace setting is to say something like "Hey team". Doesn't strike the same, need a plural term.

comrades?

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, layzie said:

Good question, and if not there needs to be a good 'catch all' term. One of the recommendations in a workplace setting is to say something like "Hey team". Doesn't strike the same, need a plural term.

or how about y'all

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

s I am not a 'woke' but may I point out that 'Sorry gents its whinge time for me' is a bit out of date.

Um that was woke mate and rightly so. A complete oversight by myself, adult add and pre coffee post.  Apologies to all especially the great female posters . 

Thanks for pointing it out, and at the risk of sounding Woke, being woke isn't a negative thing, as ironic as this sentence is.

Which makes me scratch my head at Floridas governor ( the one vying for the Usa's top job) stating.."I declare a war on Woke".

 

God forbid Florida has people doing and saying what's right.

 

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

A disappointing 26,000 at a Friday night game whilst top of the ladder.  I'm now expecting Caro's outrage against the saints faithful on Monday.

6 saints goals after 1/4 time.   Welcome back Ross.

Forget Caro, I want to hear from Sam McClure. But I bet he's focusing on our crowd tonight.

Interesting they were talking about Richmond supporters on the radio yesterday and wondering if they'll show up against the Gold coast. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

p.s I am not a 'woke' but may I point out that 'Sorry gents its whinge time for me' is a bit out of date.

Nothing wrong with gents. If it is short for gentlefolk. 😀

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Opening Round vs Sydney

    The Demons head up to Sydney to open the 2024 AFL Season against the Swans at the SCG. Who will debut for the Dees? Will Clarry be recalled to the team?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 16

    PODCAST: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Thursday, 29th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Practice Match victory over the Blues at Ikon Park. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 11

    POSTGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Demons had total control of the practice match against the Blues taking out the honours and running out victors by 38 points at Ikon Park.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 91

    GAMEDAY: Practice Match vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are headed for a date with the Blues at Ikon Park for their final practice match before the ball is kicked in anger to open the season in just over a week's time. Date: Wednesday 28th February 2024 Location: Ikon Park Gates Open: 5:30pm Match commences: 6:40pm Watch: Foxtel & Kayo VFL practice match: Please note, the VFL practice match (10:30am) is no longer open to public. Entry: Your entry gate will be detailed on your ticket (4, 5 or 6)

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 308

    TRAINING: Tuesday 27th February 2024

    I headed down to Gosch’s Paddock this morning for the Captain’s Run in the lead up to tomorrow night’s practice match against the Blues.  The squad that took the field was indicative of the lineup for that match at Ikon Park.  Likely Selections based on the groupings of players at the Captain's Run today at Gosch's Paddock. Main Group: Gawn, Viney, May, JVR, Lever, Petracca, McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Bowey, Schache, Rivers, ANB, Fritsch, Sparrow, Chandler, Kozzy,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports 4

    SCRUTINY & RESILIENCE by Whispering Jack

    If the week when preseason training melds into scratch matches with other clubs, is the first marker for the beginning of a new season, then this has certainly been a torrid opener for the Melbourne Football Club in its campaign to remain a leading AFL premiership contender in 2024. The Demons were already under enormous scrutiny from the media and football’s fan base (including their own) after consecutive straight-sets finals exits, with Clayton Oliver’s well documented woes, the Joel Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    Angus Brayshaw Forced into Retirement

    After 167 games including the drought breaking Premiership Angus Brayshaw has made the heart breaking decision to medically retire from football as a result of a series of serious head knocks over his nearly decade of footy. We wish Gus all the best and he'll always be a hero at Demonland. 😢

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 414

    PODCAST: Match SIM vs Richmond

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 20th February @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Scratch Match loss to the Tigers and hopefully provide me with some free MFCSS therapy. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 43

    PREGAME: Practice Match vs Carlton

    The Dees will play their final practice match before the start of the 2024 seasons against the Blues at Ikon Park. What are you wanting to see in this final hit out before the season proper? Will Clarry & Salo return to the side? 2024 AAMI Community Series | Carlton v Melbourne Date: Wednesday 28 February Time: 6:40pm (AEDT) Location: IKON Park | Wurundjeri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 183
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...