Vice captain

Dingo

Jack is the perfect sergeant to marshall the troops but I’m afraid he is no modern day football captain.

I think it is probably going to be Angus as he seems to be the player that is able connect with a broader range of players. 

But getting the leadership group right is probably more important as you cannot rely on one bloke. I think having a group that is represented on all lines and are best 22 is the qualifying criteria.

Not 100% sure who’s in the group this year but I feel like the forward line is under represented 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Jack is the perfect sergeant to marshall the troops but I’m afraid he is no modern day football captain.

I think it is probably going to be Angus as he seems to be the player that is able connect with a broader range of players. 

But getting the leadership group right is probably more important as you cannot rely on one bloke. I think having a group that is represented on all lines and are best 22 is the qualifying criteria.

Not 100% sure who’s in the group this year but I feel like the forward line is under represented 

If Gus is going to captain after Max, you'd think it would be a very brief transitionary role before passing it on to the leader of the next brigade in the 20-25 age range right now, as I don't think he's the kind of player that has too many years left in his legs/body in 2025. I also cast him in the loveable rascal mould like Max, so I think the club might be ready for a change after Max. 

Tracc on the other hand is not only a player who I can see with 5+ years of great footy left in him (With Clarry) - but also seems to be a natural leader on and off the field with the way he carries himself in the footy and social media. I can see the next evolution of his on field game being the brave and fearless captain that can turn a game in the middle or up forward. Also the kind of person that could be the President of the AFLPA 

But I do echo similar sentiments about getting the leadership group right. I think its fair to say we (compassionately) get a mulligan for last Friday due to how massive a person Gawn is the the club on and off the field - but if it happens again in a final, then we need Jack and the new vice / leadership group, to steady the ship before the break so we don't concede a heavy score and flush our season away.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm more concerned with how Viney plays as captain. I fear that he may over-react to the responsibility to the detriment of his own game. He always strikes me as the sort of player who, in trying to give 100% in everything he does, sometimes goes too far. In other words, he becomes his own worst enemy.

On the issue of VC, does it really matter? Gawn remains captain for all the non-on field responsibilities, of which I assume there are plenty. In fact, I've always believed the on-field role of Captain isn't that important compared with the off-field.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm more concerned with how Viney plays as captain. I fear that he may over-react to the responsibility to the detriment of his own game. He always strikes me as the sort of player who, in trying to give 100% in everything he does, sometimes goes too far. In other words, he becomes his own worst enemy.

On the issue of VC, does it really matter? Gawn remains captain for all the non-on field responsibilities, of which I assume there are plenty. In fact, I've always believed the on-field role of Captain isn't that important compared with the off-field.   

That's what I thought, VC just becomes acting captain on matchday. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, demon3165 said:

Who cares does not make an ounce of difference ....

Yes it does. Even in footy you need a supporting role to back up Jack. Part of last weeks performance reeked of NOnE or very little leadership. Jack is good at showing  us the way but Maysie or Rick or even Trac May well avoid the void with ideas encouragement and even actions as well. It's important to communicate at times especially if things are  not going well. 

You and others might  say you don't need a name to do that but it's a much better alternative if some responsibility is recognised and rewarded and the team plays recognising roles and importance within structures etc. 

Wr need all our small 1% ers on show on Sunday to break this frightening hoodoo of two decades. 

I would make both Rick and Maysie deputy VCs as they have earned the respect and honour doing the backline proud over the last 3 plus years. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 58er said:

Yes it does. Even in footy you need a supporting role to back up Jack. Part of last weeks performance reeked of NOnE or very little leadership. Jack is good at showing  us the way but Maysie or Rick or even Trac May well avoid the void with ideas encouragement and even actions as well. It's important to communicate at times especially if things are  not going well. 

You and others might  say you don't need a name to do that but it's a much better alternative if some responsibility is recognised and rewarded and the team plays recognising roles and importance within structures etc. 

Wr need all our small 1% ers on show on Sunday to break this frightening hoodoo of two decades. 

I would make both Rick and Maysie deputy VCs as they have earned the respect and honour doing the backline proud over the last 3 plus years. 

I'd say it would be Rick. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, 58er said:

Well Trac sure showed leadership with the onslaught in the first quarter there was none, also blame Yze for allowing it to happen, no lets go back to basics stop the flow till you get it back on your terms, funny how old fashion football still ring true that's why there are big swings in football they just do the same thing till it's to late.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, layzie said:

That's what I thought, VC just becomes acting captain on matchday. 

1 hour ago, 58er said:

That's why there is a leadership group these days......

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

Is the point of this thread not saying that he will be captain for the next 6 weeks at least so who will be his vice? Would think it would be Lever.

I thought you meant Lever should replace Viney as VC in general.

Edited by layzie