PODCAST: Match SIM vs St. Kilda

Demonland

The Demonland Podcast returns for Season 2023

Join @binman & I on the Demonland Podcast Monday night 27th February LIVE @ 8:30pm for breakdown of the Match SIM against St. Kilda.

If you have any questions or comments leave it below and we'll include it in the show. Please keep it to Match SIM and general preseason training stuff as we'll do a more in depth Season Preview in a few weeks with George.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

• Like 4
  • Love 4

great to have you back guys. 

I thought that was our most 'skillful side in a long while watching Hunter, Grundy, Chandler, Bowey help move the ball end to end.

I consider Hunter a lock and he makes us look so much better. Do you think Bowey and Chandler will play round 1 as they played well. 

Edited by Bay Riffin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Reminder that we’ll be LIVE tonight at 8:30pm. 

If you have any questions or comments that you’d like us to answer or read out then please leave a comment. 

You can also leave us a voice message on 03 9016 3666 and we’ll play it on the show. Don’t worry nobody answers. 

As always you can call us live on the show using the number above if you want to chat about anything we’re talking about. 

Listen & chat LIVE: http://demonland.com/podcast 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Based on reports from our track watchers, and vision of the Sim on Friday, Judd McVee has emerged from a ‘long way back’ as being a genuine prospect in the space of one pre season.  (What a bonus that would be!).  
I’d be interested in the panel’s ‘gut feel’ on how readily his pre-season form might translate to the real thing (?);  is he a genuine chance for R1(?);  and do you see him becoming a regular best 23 during the season, and if so whose spot is vulnerable (?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PS.  I’m also interested in the panel’s views on Kade Chandler as a small crumbing forward.  I love Kade’s attack on the contest, and the defensive pressure that he brings, but I don’t see the ‘spark’ that separates the good crumbing forwards from the rest.  IMO it’s important for us to have a 25+ a season small forward to fill this role, given the likelihood of us having a tall forward half,  and Kozzie spending a fair portion of his time on ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Casey/reserves game last Friday showed that Hibbo is still an AFL standard defender (injuries permitting) and should be playing in the 1sts, particularly given his versatility as a defender and his elite ability to consistently beat his opponents. However McVee looks to be ready to start his AFL career and we need to continually blood young players to avoid a complete collapse when our current stars come to an end. It’s also beneficial to give young players a run of games in the 1sts, let’s say at least 4, so we don’t put too much pressure on them to hold their initial promotion and help build their confidence. 

If you agree with all that, then someone has to make way to get both Hibbo and McVee in the side now. Who of our current regular 1sts players gets dropped?  And is that player who makes way likely to be looking down the barrel of their 1sts playing career ending soon at the MFC?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Chief said:

The Casey/reserves game last Friday showed that Hibbo is still an AFL standard defender (injuries permitting) and should be playing in the 1sts, particularly given his versatility as a defender and his elite ability to consistently beat his opponents. However McVee looks to be ready to start his AFL career and we need to continually blood young players to avoid a complete collapse when our current stars come to an end. It’s also beneficial to give young players a run of games in the 1sts, let’s say at least 4, so we don’t put too much pressure on them to hold their initial promotion and help build their confidence. 

If you agree with all that, then someone has to make way to get both Hibbo and McVee in the side now. Who of our current regular 1sts players gets dropped?  And is that player who makes way likely to be looking down the barrel of their 1sts playing career ending soon at the MFC?

We'll discuss that and I agree that Hibbo is not done yet and I think he is still best 22 but I think the FD department made a statement not picking him in the 1s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Over the last 4 years, 26 current listed players have played 5 or more games a season. Do you think that's enough rotation?

I wouldn't be against McVee, JVR, Taj, Laurie and Howes all getting runs from round 1 to the BYE and then you pick your best 22 from there. What are your thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A question based on these points from last season:

• Our average points differential to round 10 was six goals (35.8 points), where a lot of teams chose a slower or a more contested style.
  • We kicked two goals fewer per game and gave up three goals more per game from R11 onwards (point differential of 4.3 points), where a lot of teams adopted a faster style.
  • Based on some subjective analysis I did on the style the opposition used to attack - the fast, risky style used by Collingwood, Hawks, Swans etc resulted in an average of 85 points against, compared to 60 for all other games where opposition attacks were less aggressive (over 4 quarters). 

If you could only choose one of the strategies below for the team to focus on which would it be, out of:

1. Defending better against fast, corridor-based ball movement, such as with more intense F50 defensive pressure, or
  2. Attack more aggressively through the corridor, to generate better quality forward entries and (more than likely) score more goals.

And you can't say both ok? 😄 Love your work guys!

Note: Table showing breakdown of scores for and against

Points For Points Against
R1-10 93.8 58.0
R11-F2 81.9 77.6
Wins 94.4 58.6
Losses 71.6 91.1
Season 86.8 69.4

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks 4

Interested in the thoughts of @binman on whether Hunter will see our forward ball movement change. Noticed more than a few times we kicked to him on the HFF and he centred to about 20 out. Resulted in shots on goal from directly in front. 

My thoughts are we will still go to the pocket, but also to 20 or so out directly in front. This doesn't include fast breaks on turnover.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Stu said:

A question based on these points from last season:

• Our average points differential to round 10 was six goals (35.8 points), where a lot of teams chose a slower or a more contested style.
  • We kicked two goals fewer per game and gave up three goals more per game from R11 onwards (point differential of 4.3 points), where a lot of teams adopted a faster style.
  • Based on some subjective analysis I did on the style the opposition used to attack - the fast, risky style used by Collingwood, Hawks, Swans etc resulted in an average of 85 points against, compared to 60 for all other games where opposition attacks were less aggressive (over 4 quarters). 

If you could only choose one of the strategies below for the team to focus on which would it be, out of:

1. Defending better against fast, corridor-based ball movement, such as with more intense F50 defensive pressure, or
  2. Attack more aggressively through the corridor, to generate better quality forward entries and (more than likely) score more goals.

And you can't say both ok? 😄 Love your work guys!

Note: Table showing breakdown of scores for and against

Points For Points Against
R1-10 93.8 58.0
R11-F2 81.9 77.6
Wins 94.4 58.6
Losses 71.6 91.1
Season 86.8 69.4

Stu we might have to save this one for the Season Preview show. We'll most likely do a show with our thoughts on the Tigers game next week and then do a Season Preview the week after prior to our Round 1 clash.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

I would be interested in thoughts on the progress of our Home Base? I understand MFC CEO Gary Pert gave his explanation of what is going on at the MFC AGM and I accept that. However, I think it's important that we still discuss this issue and keep it on our agenda and re-visit this to see (hopefully) some progress in 12 month's time.

My other question is more related to player development. How do we see the progress of Bailey Laurie and Blake Howes so far? Who is closer to a senior AFL debut in season 2023?

My last question relates to the Demon's forward line. What do we need to do to improve our forward line efficiency in season 2023?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I would be interested in thoughts on the progress of our Home Base? I understand MFC CEO Gary Pert gave his explanation of what is going on at the MFC AGM and I accept that. However, I think it's important that we still discuss this issue and keep it on our agenda and re-visit this to see (hopefully) some progress in 12 month's time.

My other question is more related to player development. How do we see the progress of Bailey Laurie and Blake Howes so far? Who is closer to a senior AFL debut in season 2023?

My last question relates to the Demon's forward line. What do we need to do to improve our forward line efficiency in season 2023?

Some of these we might leave until the Season Preview as tonight is really just an informal Podcast SIM.

I will definitely ask Binman about Laurie and Howes. I didn't watch the reserves portion of the Match Simulation but I have seen them train during the preseason.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Stu we might have to save this one for the Season Preview show. We'll most likely do a show with our thoughts on the Tigers game next week and then do a Season Preview the week after prior to our Round 1 clash.

Sure thing Andy. I’ll repost this in the season preview podcast thread when it pops up. 

A question for tonight then…

Based on Friday’s game, which player who has played 0 senior games for the Dees most excited you? 

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In at least one centre bounce we saw Grundy, Rivers, Pickett and ANB from memory. Do you guys think we will mix it up like that on the rare occasion during the season proper? 
I also thought ANB had a solid game, he mostly gets talked about when people think he’s had a bad game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

In at least one centre bounce we saw Grundy, Rivers, Pickett and ANB from memory. Do you guys think we will mix it up like that on the rare occasion during the season proper? 
I also thought ANB had a solid game, he mostly gets talked about when people think he’s had a bad game. 

We’d be at DEFCON 1 on the MFCSS scale if that occurred. 

• Haha 5