Dees Heading Back to the Red Centre in 2023

Demonland

4 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

probably not.....at least this year

but why wouldn't the afl want to make it part of indigenous round?

This is a big part of my issue. If we do it for the community and it’s ‘important’, why don’t the club force the AFL to align it with something to make it more meaningful? Meanwhile the most ‘important’ indigenous game is played by 2 powerhouse clubs at home, who use it to line their pockets.

It just looks to me like we do a lot to build bridges and get sweet FA in return. One day we won’t go to Alice Springs anymore and the only benefactors from our time spent there will be the AFL brand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

This is a big part of my issue. If we do it for the community and it’s ‘important’, why don’t the club force the AFL to align it with something to make it more meaningful? Meanwhile the most ‘important’ indigenous game is played by 2 powerhouse clubs at home, who use it to line their pockets.

It just looks to me like we do a lot to build bridges and get sweet FA in return. One day we won’t go to Alice Springs anymore and the only benefactors from our time spent there will be the AFL brand.

wouldn't call $750k exactly sweet fa..........lol

• Like 3

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

now we are getting into marketing 101

i think we do have good cultural intentions but we did go initially to the nt for the moolah

That’s why I’m bemused by Pert saying it’s now purely cultural. The narrative is about outreach, but the minute we can make more money from this game at the G it will end.

Personally I don’t have the time and resources to travel to the NT. I do go to all our away games in Melbourne (of which our replacement game is one). Essentially I’m annoyed because it’s one less game I get to see in person, and I’m annoyed that it keeps getting sold to me as a member as some kind of broader engagement, when I think it’s still about cash. 

Also, and this is just me having a whinge now, but I loathe the broadcast at that ground on TV.  The cameras are far too low, and the shadows of the ground make it hard to see at one end.

Ok. Apologies. I’ll stop complaining now. Been a long year. I’m tired.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

That’s why I’m bemused by Pert saying it’s now purely cultural. The narrative is about outreach, but the minute we can make more money from this game at the G it will end.

Personally I don’t have the time and resources to travel to the NT. I do go to all our away games in Melbourne (of which our replacement game is one). Essentially I’m annoyed because it’s one less game I get to see in person, and I’m annoyed that it keeps getting sold to me as a member as some kind of broader engagement, when I think it’s still about cash. 

Also, and this is just me having a whinge now, but I loathe the broadcast at that ground on TV.  The cameras are far too low, and the shadows of the ground make it hard to see at one end.

Ok. Apologies. I’ll stop complaining now. Been a long year. I’m tired.

You are not alone I blame the ageing process.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Are you going DJ? Oh my error I thought it round 4.5 being discussed. 

I booked and had the car all ready to go in 2021 and of course the great lockdown hit.

I'd love to go but I expect I will head off to the warmth of Asia during May. It's certainly on my bucket list.

I think it's the magic of those gum trees around the ground that tempts me

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Me neither, but that’s not why we do it according to the club. 

It's now not the primary reason  THBT.

You have missed the philosophical financial and cultural reasons for this much loved game and FTA status pi's a home game replacement for us members.

Look at the support after last years game snd the kids meeting their heroes and this is  growing as the Club keeps on winning also. 

It's a win win win game for all so let it survive the churliness and misunderstanding about this fixture you have surmounted. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Don't agree at all. Ask Peter Jackson about the significance about what he has helped to instigate and build up there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 58er said:

…let it survive the churliness and misunderstanding about this fixture you have surmounted. 

I do so apologise if my lack of financial resources came across as ‘churlish’. That’s the problem with us working class. We always look so angry, when we should be grateful.

Enjoy your holiday in the sun! At least it’s on the free TV, so simple folk like me can enjoy it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Personally I’m happy we’re continuing this. Somethings are more important, and us keeping a close relationship with the communities up there and helping to grow the game there is not only a great thing for the club but a great thing for the people up there. 

We know the ground better than anyone in the AFL now as well so it’s becoming a special place for us to play. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, DeeZone said:

I would strongly recommend that any demons that haven’t been to Alice it is a great opportunity to visit the Red Centre and get to see the Dees play at an excellent Regional ground. The indigenous kids love the game and if you are as fortunate as us you could get to stay in the same Resort as the team. I would also recommend a visit to Stanley Chasm and Simpson Gap via a bus tour whilst in Alice Springs a real eye opener and quite emotional.❤️💙

Hoping for a 2023 visit DeeZone. My brother's in laws are from Alice so would have some local insight! Would definitely do all the tours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Hoping for a 2023 visit DeeZone. My brother's in laws are from Alice so would have some local insight! Would definitely do all the tours. 

Good on you layzie you won’t be disappointed it’s a bit raw around the edges but a great experience. If you go to the game try and catch up with the Demon Army they steered us in the right spot to get a seat and provided flags for us to wave near the goals city end.😃🤘

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I do so apologise if my lack of financial resources came across as ‘churlish’. That’s the problem with us working class. We always look so angry, when we should be grateful.

Enjoy your holiday in the sun! At least it’s on the free TV, so simple folk like me can enjoy it.

Excellent comment, hanger in there  you are amongst mainly friends go Dee's. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Good on you layzie you won’t be disappointed it’s a bit raw around the edges but a great experience. If you go to the game try and catch up with the Demon Army they steered us in the right spot to get a seat and provided flags for us to wave near the goals city end.😃🤘

It's definitely the experience and seeing our country in a different way than we're used to, I'm really keen!

Will definitely be relying on help from the DA! Always someone who has great knowledge of the city we're playing in. 

My bro's brother in law also has a burrito truck and he works at this game every year, I've been saying I'll come to try his burritos for too long now! Needless to say this day is VERY good business for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, layzie said:

It's definitely the experience and seeing our country in a different way than we're used to, I'm really keen!

Will definitely be relying on help from the DA! Always someone who has great knowledge of the city we're playing in. 

My bro's brother in law also has a burrito truck and he works at this game every year, I've been saying I'll come to try his burritos for too long now! Needless to say this day is VERY good business for him.

I don't know how long you are planning on being there but if can afford the time you should explore the area beyond AS. Get to the rock it is a must see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:08 AM, The heart beats true said:

Meh. At what point do we stop this? Big profit this year. Is this really necessary? It certainly isn’t translating into much local support.

Am I missing something? I’m less than indifferent about it.

I think it's great.  The club has developed great relationships in the area, particularly at Santa Teresa, and I love the fact that it has fostered a fantastic support base for the club, as well as doing great community good.  I say keep it going!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 10:18 AM, DeeZone said:

I would strongly recommend that any demons that haven’t been to Alice it is a great opportunity to visit the Red Centre and get to see the Dees play at an excellent Regional ground. The indigenous kids love the game and if you are as fortunate as us you could get to stay in the same Resort as the team. I would also recommend a visit to Stanley Chasm and Simpson Gap via a bus tour whilst in Alice Springs a real eye opener and quite emotional.❤️💙

I was really hoping to, but alas that weekend I'm on the Indian Pacific, taking advantage of the fact it's school holidays and I'm ticking off a bucket list item without having to take time off work for it.  Damn damn bugger bugger!!!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Katrina Dee Fan said:

I was really hoping to, but alas that weekend I'm on the Indian Pacific, taking advantage of the fact it's school holidays and I'm ticking off a bucket list item without having to take time off work for it.  Damn damn bugger bugger!!!

The Indian Pacific would be a great adventure and I must admit that our trip to the Rock and Alice last year was a bucket list trip for my wife and I a bit expensive but probably our last opportunity to tick it off.!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/9/2022 at 10:46 AM, old dee said:

I don't know how long you are planning on being there but if can afford the time you should explore the area beyond AS. Get to the rock it is a must see. 

Definitely OD, wluld be hoping for a trip to Uluru for sure.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 1:23 AM, layzie said:

Definitely OD, wluld be hoping for a trip to Uluru for sure.

Layzie if you do Uluṟu book early as accommodation is tight, we flew into Uluṟu (Yulara) did the Rock and other sites then caught the bus to Alice Springs which was interesting.!!

• Like 1