Welcome to Demonland Matthew Jefferson

Supreme_Demon

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Petty’s in sneakily decent form since the bye, the bloke is putting in one heck of a shift this year all things considered.

8 tackles last night, couple of contested marks. So he is doing some right things, but like others have said, probably at the wrong end of the ground when you look at 6.15 for the season. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

On 08/08/2024 at 20:52, Deelectable said:

Very happy to take your money re no goals. His intensity at VFL level has come in leaps and bounds. Really hoping to see him in the last two weeks of the season. 

lets make it happen :)

• Like 2

goodwin has been clear since the bye round that we're sticking with petty jvr - fritsch - turner / melksham as our forward structure

i see no reason to adjust that with two games to go in the season unless there's an injury that justifies it

el jefe is not doing anything like enough to force his way into the mfc side for the time being

he needs a big preseason ahead of 2025

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

goodwin has been clear since the bye round that we're sticking with petty jvr - fritsch - turner / melksham as our forward structure

i see no reason to adjust that with two games to go in the season unless there's an injury that justifies it

el jefe is not doing anything like enough to force his way into the mfc side for the time being

he needs a big preseason ahead of 2025

4 goals in a losing team last week with Shizzen delivery not enough WSW?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

I recall Goodwin admitting in an interview some years ago being "an [censored]" for wasting Fritsch up the ground for a season & not realising (like most of us had) that Fritsch was a natural forward.

Goodie just seems obsessed with the idea that Petty is the next Neitz whereas many commentators, most footy followers & every Dees supporter I know has been calling for Petty to go to defence.

The move clearly hasn't worked & in fact has backfired badly & this seems obvious to everyone but our BT.

Don't agree at all. He is in the best form of his short and injury interrupted career and is building nicely to an excellent 2025. I am so glad he re-signed. They only scored something like 48 points so our defence was good with Tommo there and didn't need Petty back. He did a lot of contesting up the line and took a couple of good contested marks. People will say he didn't offer much up forward, but I see the slow emergence of a good forward line with Petty a part of that. Disco will improve next year, and JVR has come a long way this year as well, but ultimately those three are young and haven't developed a system yet which while frustrating and quite damning of the coaching department, the building blocks are there for success already. With Trac, Fritsch and Kossy, a further improved Chandler and a system to work to we can have a very functional forward line. I think the question should be asked, what are they doing to JVR. He is in ruck, down back then took a lovely contested mark and was then subbed????? If you were kind to the coaches and I'm happy to be coz they are the ones there, it will help develop him as a footballer looking to the future, but I hope they settle him down, coz otherwise someone will come knocking asking him the same questions and we'll lose him. Surely he's a forward? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, roy11 said:

8 tackles last night, couple of contested marks. So he is doing some right things, but like others have said, probably at the wrong end of the ground when you look at 6.15 for the season. 

He’s just about exclusively playing CHF in a long down the line team and his goal kicking has been awful, but in terms of doing his role he’s done it well since the bye.

• Like 4

Why is Jeffo not able to play senior

Call Dear is going ok and he is really skinny

Hope PF gets his wish

• Like 3

@wizardinoz must be a @picket fence burner account.

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Petty’s in sneakily decent form since the bye, the bloke is putting in one heck of a shift this year all things considered.

JVR had a poor game but isn’t going anywhere, plus we need his ruck minutes. I can’t imagine Max is going to put the cue in the rack but if he does it’s Fullarton in.

Disco got a full game again after a run of games as the sub and whilst he’s making more than his fair share of errors he’s competing strongly. I doubt they want to stop the momentum that he’s building.

Fritsch….it’s not pretty but the man is just coming off his first ever pass of the ball inside 50. We’ve witnessed a genuine miracle. No point tanking his trade value by putting him in the 2’s now. Plus I liked some of his mobility and ball winning last night even if the execution was poor and defensive stuff was its usual grim efforts.

I just don’t see a spot for Jeffo who’s physically still a long way off, is best suited getting on the end of quality ball movement (which we don’t have) and is still making improvements with his consistency at every contest at Casey.

Max Gruzewski who’s been better at VFL than Jeffo has played 4 games and had totals of 4, 2, 3 and 3 disposals and 1.5 marks a game. Been subbed off twice. Laid 1 tackle. Kicked 3 goals in 4 games.  He did a role on Harris Andrews yesterday which was the first time he’s actually contributed positively to the team performance.

The same people desperate to see the kid play will jump right off by half time when he’s barely touched it. 

So do you see a role/spot for Jefferson moving forward? Because let's be honest, I doubt we're trading a guy that consistently kicks 40+ goals a year.

Unless TMac retires, I don't see where Jefferson plays next year, except many games at Casey.

• Facepalm 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

So do you see a role/spot for Jefferson moving forward? Because let's be honest, I doubt we're trading a guy that consistently kicks 40+ goals a year.

Unless TMac retires, I don't see where Jefferson plays next year, except many games at Casey.

And if thats the case I would look elsewhere!

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, picket fence said:

And if thats the case I would look elsewhere!

If TMac hangs them up, Petty goes back, and there's a forward spot alongside JVR and Turner for the taking.

But if TMac plays on, Jefferson will need to get games ahead of Turner. And Turner is very good in the air and is nimble and agile at ground level for a big guy.

Jefferson shares similar traits, but Turner has him for physicality at this stage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

If he has a good preseason (he missed time at various stages this summer and obviously still has a lot of muscle to add) I suspect he'll be ready for at least a string of games next year, but I wouldn't expect a full season and an automatic spot in the best 22. 

I think Tom McDonald's contract will likely depend on whether we get Harry Edwards, who may or may not become a best 22 CHB (not convinced by him but worth a look).

Overall though:
BBB 6 games
Schache 1 game
Tomlinson 5 games
(and even T Mc and May 19 games)

That's your pathway to get him 10 games pretty easily. 

Unless Disco takes a huge leap forward I expect Jeffo should compete and hopefully beat him for games next year so Disco can focus on the backline. But for now Disco is having a good crack and I don't want to see that interrupted.

• Like 3

i’d bring in Jeffo in for Turner this week

It’s important we continue to play Petty fwd so he can gel with JVR etc. I reckon he has potential up fwd as our only real big man after a full preseason 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DubDee said:

i’d bring in Jeffo in for Turner this week

It’s important we continue to play Petty fwd so he can gel with JVR etc. I reckon he has potential up fwd as our only real big man after a full preseason 

Petty has played 18 games this season for 6 goals, we're all waiting for it to click and hopefully explode - how long do we wait? I know he's coming off a significant injury but were the good goal scoring performances outliers?, BBB has currently outscored him with 7 goals and he played 6 games this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

All aboard the JEFFO JUGGERNAUT this week. Im driving this train!🤑

Hoping it doesn’t derail on you PF 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roy11 said:

Petty has played 18 games this season for 6 goals, we're all waiting for it to click and hopefully explode - how long do we wait? I know he's coming off a significant injury but were the good goal scoring performances outliers?, BBB has currently outscored him with 7 goals and he played 6 games this year.

Agree he hasn't done enough this year

But his marking and general performance in the past month have been improved. I think the goals will come. Or I hope they will come as we have no other 197cm tall fwd options

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

If TMac hangs them up, Petty goes back, and there's a forward spot alongside JVR and Turner for the taking.

But if TMac plays on, Jefferson will need to get games ahead of Turner. And Turner is very good in the air and is nimble and agile at ground level for a big guy.

Jefferson shares similar traits, but Turner has him for physicality at this stage.

I wouldnt be surprised if TMac gets a better deal elsewhere and takes it, also seemed as though Goody had softened a bit on Petty being a forward moving forward,  said something like he'd play him as a forward for the rest of the season then see what happens. Different language to earlier in the season when he said we are committed to him playing as a permanent forward. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Agree he hasn't done enough this year

But his marking and general performance in the past month have been improved. I think the goals will come. Or I hope they will come as we have no other 197cm tall fwd options

Yep not drawing a line through the fella as a forward but just have some concerns. Agreed his performances have improved there will come a time when we need to judge him on his scoreboard output. Is his inclusion helping or hindering the other forwards? that's for smarter people than me to consider. But just seems we're pinning a lot of hopes on a premiership winning defender who has kicked 25.21 - especially as about 25% of his career goals occurred in the one game.

• Like 3

I’d imagine TMac will retire but he may stay. I don’t yet see Jefferson as seriously ready to play one’s but we played Brown so I guess there’s no harm in him playing this week. I’m a Petty back person but I was also a Neitz back person. ( take a look at tapes of his battles with Carey to see why) As others have said Petty hasn’t been nearly as bad as many seem to think and if you think swapping him for an untried kid is the answer you’d be wrong.
The fact is we need a preseason delivered by the footballing Gods. So much has to go right and for mine the biggest 2 are starting round 1 with Petracca and Oliver fully fit and fully focused. We can have all the game plan changes we like but it’ll count for little if these 2 aren’t in serious nick. You can’t cover your best 2 players at the pointy end of the season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BringBackTheDemon said:

I wouldnt be surprised if TMac gets a better deal elsewhere and takes it, also seemed as though Goody had softened a bit on Petty being a forward moving forward,  said something like he'd play him as a forward for the rest of the season then see what happens. Different language to earlier in the season when he said we are committed to him playing as a permanent forward. 

I'd be staggered if 1) TMac wasn't offered another deal and 2) if he went elsewhere. Why? Just do your rolling one year deals, that way if you want to move on or the club does, there's no pressure.

TMac has been pretty honest about being near the end and looking to a post footy life.

I think he stays with us for another or two potentially or he retires.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I'd be staggered if 1) TMac wasn't offered another deal and 2) if he went elsewhere. Why? Just do your rolling one year deals, that way if you want to move on or the club does, there's no pressure.

TMac has been pretty honest about being near the end and looking to a post footy life.

I think he stays with us for another or two potentially or he retires.

I’d be shocked if he went interstate but moving clubs in Melbourne is hardly that dramatic and Tommy seems to thrive on changes.

And the key back market is crazy and limited for options. I reckon Tom would do wonders for Carlton, Essendon, North and they’d all be having a nibble.

We free up salary and list spot, if we genuinely think Harry Edwards is an AFL player we need to offer him best 22 opportunity. No way he leaves West Coast especially if Barrass is gone to be our 4th or 5th string key back. And we spread out the May/McDonald age bracket.

There’s potentially a win-win for both sides.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, DeeSpencer said:

I’d be shocked if he went interstate but moving clubs in Melbourne is hardly that dramatic and Tommy seems to thrive on changes.

And the key back market is crazy and limited for options. I reckon Tom would do wonders for Carlton, Essendon, North and they’d all be having a nibble.

We free up salary and list spot, if we genuinely think Harry Edwards is an AFL player we need to offer him best 22 opportunity. No way he leaves West Coast especially if Barrass is gone to be our 4th or 5th string key back. And we spread out the May/McDonald age bracket.

There’s potentially a win-win for both sides.

I'd be quite happy to offer TMac two years on a vet wage to stave off competition for his signature.

Not sure we'd be freeing up a huge amount of salary by moving him on, and he knows our system and football club. Makes no sense to move on IMO.

• Thanks 1