FIXTURE: Rd 10 & 11

Demonland

14 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I am also perplexed about the crappy time slot for the Freo game. Perhaps it’s due to the time difference in Perth? 

The timeslot for the North game isn’t bad given we all have to vote in the election during the day.  

I suspect it has a lot to do with it. A 2.35pm start in Perth makes it a more premium time than it might seem here in Victoria.

Interesting that people are referring to the 4.35pm Saturday timeslot as "graveyard". On a Sunday I can understand, but why do (some) people think it is that on a Saturday?

My gripe is a tiny one in the overall scheme of things...why 4.35pm and not 4.30pm or 4.40pm? To my way of thinking, either all games should start on the quarter hour (ie, xx00, xx15, xx30 or xx45) or all games should start on the 10 minute mark (xx10, xx20, xx30 etc). And every night game should start at the same time whether it's 7.15 or 7.30 or whatever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I suspect it has a lot to do with it. A 2.35pm start in Perth makes it a more premium time than it might seem here in Victoria.

Interesting that people are referring to the 4.35pm Saturday timeslot as "graveyard". On a Sunday I can understand, but why do (some) people think it is that on a Saturday?

My gripe is a tiny one in the overall scheme of things...why 4.35pm and not 4.30pm or 4.40pm? To my way of thinking, either all games should start on the quarter hour (ie, xx00, xx15, xx30 or xx45) or all games should start on the 10 minute mark (xx10, xx20, xx30 etc). And every night game should start at the same time whether it's 7.15 or 7.30 or whatever.

I don't really get your point about starting times. Why do games need to start on the quarter-hour or 10-minute marks? You could equally make the point that all games should start at the 5-minute mark. I assume it's all about TV scheduling but in any case it's surely not hard to look up what time the game starts on the AFL site or newspapers.

I agree with you about 4.35 on Saturday not being the graveyard slot. I would have thought that was a good time for fans to get to the game. Not a bad time for families as you get virtually the whole day for kids sport etc., but the game ends by 7.15 so not a late night. Those without kids can kick on to a restaurant or bar. What's not to like?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

I don't really get your point about starting times. Why do games need to start on the quarter-hour or 10-minute marks? You could equally make the point that all games should start at the 5-minute mark. I assume it's all about TV scheduling but in any case it's surely not hard to look up what time the game starts on the AFL site or newspapers.

I agree with you about 4.35 on Saturday not being the graveyard slot. I would have thought that was a good time for fans to get to the game. Not a bad time for families as you get virtually the whole day for kids sport etc., but the game ends by 7.15 so not a late night. Those without kids can kick on to a restaurant or bar. What's not to like?

You've asked a reasonable question. The best answer I can give is that what I really want is consistent starting times. If it's always on the quarter hour, there are only four times to remember, on the 10 minutes only six. The five minute option has 12. (I did say it was a minor gripe.)

• Haha 1

As a family man and from a purely selfish point of view, the 4.35pm slot on a Saturday is perfect for me. I like 2.10pm as well but the later time allows me to spend the day with the kids, take them to sports practice etc. and lets me spend the evening at the footy with my mates.

The more saturday 4.35pm slots the better as far as i'm concerned.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 4:12 PM, Cards13 said:

Couple of day games, great i can get the kids along.

I said to the better half I’m off to the Saints game May 8th with the boys… she stared daggers at me.. “you do know what day that is don’t you?!” 

A Sunday?

”MOTHERS DAY HUSBAND….”

My wife would consider me disappearing with the kids for an entire day the best Mother's Day gift there was :D

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Nasher said:

My wife would consider me disappearing with the kids for an entire day the best Mother's Day gift there was :D

Mine's a real odd ball, I thought she would be the same but "unfortunately" for me she really wants to spend time with us. I know fathers days I offer then time with me in the morning and then I want out haha.

19 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Its a real shame we aren't playing in Alice in the Indigenous round especially as we didn't get to play a game there at all last year.

iirc we are usually one of the Saturday night bookends for that week/fortnight. 

It would make sense for us to play the round 11 game vs Freo in Alice and play the later season vs Port game at the G instead of Alice.  Not a big change as we usually play a WA or SA teams in Alice; just change the venue no need to change dates.

The Alice folk would love to see a 1st vs 3rd game.  A real shame for all.

When the draw was released I noted we were playing 6 games in Perth/Adelaide/Queensland plus Geelong in Geelong and a home game in Alice Springs. What really sticks out is that we play Port twice, once in Adelaide and once in Alice Springs and the only game against Geelong is in Geelong. Totally fair (not). Geelong & Port were top 4 sides in 2021 but none of the 3 games we play against them this year are at the MCG. Your solution would be much more equitable (but it won't happen because it was  clear when the Draw was released the  AFL has decided to prejudice Melbourne & the Bulldogs well beyond the normal equalisation requirements).

On the positive side (but definitely not from my perspective) we play GWS & Sydney once and both games are in Melbourne. We also don't play in Tasmania. 12 games at the MCG (10 of them home games) and only 2 at Marvel. Only 4 out of our 10 home games at the MCG are against non-Melbourne based teams (even though 9 of 18 fall into that category). This anomoly would be fixed my moving either of the Port Adelaide or Geelong games to the MCG (which of course won't be happening).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sydney_Demon said:

When the draw was released I noted we were playing 6 games in Perth/Adelaide/Queensland plus Geelong in Geelong and a home game in Alice Springs. What really sticks out is that we play Port twice, once in Adelaide and once in Alice Springs and the only game against Geelong is in Geelong. Totally fair (not). Geelong & Port were top 4 sides in 2021 but none of the 3 games we play against them this year are at the MCG. Your solution would be much more equitable (but it won't happen because it was  clear when the Draw was released the  AFL has decided to prejudice Melbourne & the Bulldogs well beyond the normal equalisation requirements).

On the positive side (but definitely not from my perspective) we play GWS & Sydney once and both games are in Melbourne. We also don't play in Tasmania. 12 games at the MCG (10 of them home games) and only 2 at Marvel. Only 4 out of our 10 home games at the MCG are against non-Melbourne based teams (even though 9 of 18 fall into that category). This anomoly would be fixed my moving either of the Port Adelaide or Geelong games to the MCG (which of course won't be happening).

I suspect a lot it is to do with stadium contracts.

I just felt disappointed for everyone, especially Alice an NT folk that we aren't playing a game there during the Indigenous round.  It could so easily have been achieved by swapping two games.

I don't mind Saturday 4.35pm games to attend.

They're awful for TV/radio though, they get lost between the 1.45pm and 2.10pm games and then the night games.

Reality is the North game isn't interesting to anyone and whilst Fremantle might be 3rd, does anyone expect them to still be there by Round 11?

We should see more primetime games in the next block though:

• Round 12 vs Sydney at the G
  • Round 13 Queen's Birthday
  • Round 15 vs Brisbane at the G
  • Round 17 vs Geelong at GMHBA

9 hours ago, BDA said:

As a family man and from a purely selfish point of view, the 4.35pm slot on a Saturday is perfect for me. I like 2.10pm as well but the later time allows me to spend the day with the kids, take them to sports practice etc. and lets me spend the evening at the footy with my mates.

The more saturday 4.35pm slots the better as far as i'm concerned.

A hell of a lot better than 7.30

21 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Yes, Sunday 4:30pm is the least preferred and least supported timeslot. IMO, Saturday comes in second. This should be reflected in the crowd numbers and the lack of tangible marketing/exposure value. I'll watch the game at the annoying time because it's Melbourne or record it. The worst timeslot of all is the 4:30pm Good Friday game. I think it's a great opportunity for North that's straight down the toilet because of the time. What a waste.

Edited by Roger Mellie