Jump to content

Farewell Luke Jackson


Lucifers Hero

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

I still think the trade may end up being Freo's 13, Freo's 2023 1st and North's 2023 2nd. Then we might try to flip 13 and North's 2023 2nd, to go up the order.

No way its those three picks without AT LEAST our F2 and F3 next year going back. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mmwd6 said:

No way its those three picks without AT LEAST our F2 and F3 next year going back. 

Yeah, send a F3 back, and I would take that deal. I think it will be something like that

Edited by Matt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Who's going to cave in first....

Freo have to do this deal.  They've offered Jackson big money on a long term contract if they can't get it done then it looks bad for them not only in the eyes of Jacko, but Footy managers and other potential targets.  I think the footy world in general regards their initial offer as unders, so they need to find a sweetner or they look silly.  

Freo apparently want to use the Logue F2 pick to get Jeremy Sharp, they also want to hang onto Lobb... they want their cake and eat  it too, but mostly it's just posturing.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way I would approach it? (Glad you asked).

Dangerous game, but I’d play Freo off against WC. 

Set our firm & final demand to Freo, say pick 13, F1, F2 (NM). Make it abundantly clear that anything less will see us make a deal to accept less from WC on principle. Prepare the paperwork, provide it to them ready to go at any moment they’re ready to sign off on it. I’d make this clear to Freo on Tuesday after slowly working on building towards this idea with WC in the background.

With WC - their ideal situation is for Jackson to get to them in the PSD. They’ll do some sort of deal with pick 2 & get 8 in return. Make out that we are happy to accept pick 8 for Jackson just to spite Freo & set a precedent that we don’t [censored], which is a good deal for them & they would tentatively accept based on ironing out the finer details, but then find ways to “let” WC draw it out. 

Use WC’s eagerness for the deal to fall apart & time out so they get Jackson for free in the PSD against them. They’ll let time run down.

Stony face. Don’t blink. 

Freo will feel the pinch late in the piece as it becomes clear only they can close this out by acting. They won’t let the deal slip away from them all for nothing & to the benefit of WC. All the work they’ve done to this point would be a waste.

It’d take balls of steel but we’ve got them.

Edited by Mach5
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LJ doesn’t want to go into the PSD, as he will end up at North. I think he would rather come back to us for a year.

Tell Freo we do the deal fairly, or he will be coming back to us for a year or longer.

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yeah, send a F3 back, and I would take that deal. I think it will be something like that

Yeah they won't accept that. They've already made their agenda very clear to the media. Essentially their standing on "no player has ever been traded for 2+ firsts without something coming back". No way they add a pick 20 just to get back something like pick 50

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

The way I would approach it? (Glad you asked).

Dangerous game, but I’d play Freo off against WC. 

Set our firm & final demand to Freo, say pick 13, F1, F2 (NM). Make it abundantly clear that anything less will see us make a deal to accept less from WC on principle. Prepare the paperwork, provide it to them ready to go at any moment they’re ready to sign off on it. I’d make this clear to Freo on Tuesday after slowly working on building towards this idea with WC in the background.

With WC - their ideal situation is for Jackson to get to them in the PSD. They’ll do some sort of deal with pick 2 & get 8 in return. Make out that we are happy to accept pick 8 for Jackson just to spite Freo & set a precedent that we don’t [censored], which is a good deal for them & they would tentatively accept based on ironing out the finer details, but then find ways to “let” WC draw it out. 

Use WC’s eagerness for the deal to fall apart & time out so they get Jackson for free in the PSD against them. They’ll let time run down.

Stony face. Don’t blink. 

Freo will feel the pinch late in the piece as it becomes clear only they can close this out by acting. They won’t let the deal slip away from them all for nothing & to the benefit of WC. All the work they’ve done to this point would be a waste.

It’d take balls of steel but we’ve got them.

West coast haven't made an offer yet because LJ doesn't want to go there (as it stands, they've literally said it in their own words), and all parties know that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, mmwd6 said:

Yeah they won't accept that. They've already made their agenda very clear to the media. Essentially their standing on "no player has ever been traded for 2+ firsts without something coming back". No way they add a pick 20 just to get back something like pick 50

They also told the media a few years ago, mid trade period, that they were no longer chasing Jesse Hogan!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mmwd6 said:

West coast haven't made an offer yet because LJ doesn't want to go there (as it stands, they've literally said it in their own words), and all parties know that. 


That’s another way the WC deal can be “held up” while Freo sweats. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, adonski said:

They also told the media a few years ago, mid trade period, that they were no longer chasing Jesse Hogan!

From what I've heard it was true at the time, but they had just lost Lachie Neale and bell had been doing the job for about 2 weeks so there was pressure from the CEO and coach to get their "big fish" so Bell went back.

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

My opinion of Peter Bellend has gone up 10 fold in my book.

Down or up, I would have thought down 10 fold, and what book are you writing?

Edited by A F
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mmwd6 said:

From what I've heard it was true at the time, but they had just lost Lachie Neale and bell had been doing the job for about 2 weeks so there was pressure from the CEO and coach to get their "big fish" so Bell went back.

You're an intriguing new poster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, A F said:

You're an intriguing new poster.

I'm an eternal pessimist. If I convince myself and everyone that we'll get screwed in this deal then I'm sure I'll be happier with what the actual deal ends up being. It's a good way to live life. 

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I think what really annoys me about this situation is that there’s trading in good faith and good practice, and then there’s trading in a dirty prickish way which is what Freo are doing IMO. The money and contract they are putting in front of Jacko is not what is matching what they are offering us, and it’s twice that they have put work into a young player of ours only to low ball at the trade table. The only reason why we accepted the Hogan trade was to get May over the line and into the Red and Blue. 

This time they are low balling because his out of contract status gives them that upper hand but it doesn’t give them the license to not put something closer to what he’s worth. Now if they sweetened the deal with future 2nd round pick (with us giving future 3rd back) then that at least offsets the non top 10 pick but for the work they’ve put into obtaining Jackson they could’ve at least put some work into trading into the top 10 to get him. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pates said:

I think what really annoys me about this situation is that there’s trading in good faith and good practice, and then there’s trading in a dirty prickish way which is what Freo are doing IMO. The money and contract they are putting in front of Jacko is not what is matching what they are offering us, and it’s twice that they have put work into a young player of ours only to low ball at the trade table. The only reason why we accepted the Hogan trade was to get May over the line and into the Red and Blue. 

This time they are low balling because his out of contract status gives them that upper hand but it doesn’t give them the license to not put something closer to what he’s worth. Now if they sweetened the deal with future 2nd round pick (with us giving future 3rd back) then that at least offsets the non top 10 pick but for the work they’ve put into obtaining Jackson they could’ve at least put some work into trading into the top 10 to get him. 

Plenty of outgoing players too. Surely they could've factored this deal in when they were making their other trades? Instead the only thing of note they have from three players leaving is Norths PP2nd

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Pates said:

I think what really annoys me about this situation is that there’s trading in good faith and good practice, and then there’s trading in a dirty prickish way which is what Freo are doing IMO. The money and contract they are putting in front of Jacko is not what is matching what they are offering us, and it’s twice that they have put work into a young player of ours only to low ball at the trade table. The only reason why we accepted the Hogan trade was to get May over the line and into the Red and Blue. 

This time they are low balling because his out of contract status gives them that upper hand but it doesn’t give them the license to not put something closer to what he’s worth. Now if they sweetened the deal with future 2nd round pick (with us giving future 3rd back) then that at least offsets the non top 10 pick but for the work they’ve put into obtaining Jackson they could’ve at least put some work into trading into the top 10 to get him. 

You're absolutely right and clubs are taking notice of this, i'm sure player managers are as well. Peter Bell has a horrific case of little man syndrome in my opinion, he talks tough, but his ego is too big to actually accept missing out on Jackson. i am confident if we play this out he'll panic and scramble a better offer together, like he did with Jesse Hogan. and then claim it's another feather in his cap. 

the way i see it, another option we have is to accept the 2 firsts, and potetnailly the NM future second and try and trade our way up ourselves with those assets. that future 2nd will hold significant value being the first pick in the second round next year. it's become a really sought after pick

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

You're absolutely right and clubs are taking notice of this, i'm sure player managers are as well. Peter Bell has a horrific case of little man syndrome in my opinion, he talks tough, but his ego is too big to actually accept missing out on Jackson. i am confident if we play this out he'll panic and scramble a better offer together, like he did with Jesse Hogan. and then claim it's another feather in his cap. 

the way i see it, another option we have is to accept the 2 firsts, and potetnailly the NM future second and try and trade our way up ourselves with those assets. that future 2nd will hold significant value being the first pick in the second round next year. it's become a really sought after pick

Just on that - the future 2 is right after Norths pick. So the highest it could be is pick 20. NM would still have 19 if they finished bottom. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mmwd6 said:

Weird that their GM is in charge of trades is it not?

I think Bell is a bit of a control freak just quietly. He's not list manager, Robert Walls' son David is, but in the lead up to the trade period, Bell is the only FD member quoted on a list management update on the Freo website.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/1221877/list-management-update

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 78

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 419

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 45

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 445

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...