POSTGAME: GRAND FINAL vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

9 hours ago, Cassiew said:

I know. But any loss as insignificant as it is will be a downer compared to know. And a drought-break like this will never happen again (at least not in my lifetime.) I just want to enjoy this a while longer  

Yes it will, we haven't won two flags in a row since 1959 - 1960.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, radar said:

Some how I get fb updates from GFC. They’ve picked up a 30 year old Hawk reject and shunted a 20 something kid to Freo. 
Their fans are loving it. They see it as an honour they’ve made so many Prelims (never mind the losses) 

GFCSS - long may it continue 

They can keep making finals and prelim after prelim for all I care, if they don’t win a premiership for decades that’ll keep me happy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Currently the replay is on Fox footy. It's quarter time

Hope you didn't freak out during the second, and first half of the third quarter .... twas all good after that!! 

😁

Edited by Winners at last
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Winners at last said:

Hope you didn't freak out during the second, and first half of the third quarter .... twas all good after that!! 

😁

I laugh rewatching it when the dogs get out to the 19 point lead & the commentators say Melbourne need the next goal to stay in touch. Well guess what BT we kicked the next 16

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I laugh rewatching it when the dogs get out to the 19 point lead & the commentators say Melbourne need the next goal to stay in touch. Well guess what BT we kicked the next 16

I love their massive celebrations after kicking it. Like they already had it won 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/23/2021 at 2:21 PM, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

No that’s it, but I hope Bailey Laurie gets a good run injury wise, imagine if he comes in and impacts the same way Bowser has. Still 19 years old so could be another to the list.

Petty was superb but I’d argue he has another level to go to like Dogga and Kozzie. Hard to believe he’s only played 30 games, plays like he belongs and even starting to show a bit of swagger which I love. Tough nut !

Now that Petty has had a career 'toughening' in the backline, holding down a key position and opponents across the finals with aplomb,  it's time to make him a real star of the game - in the forward line. The guy could be (is) limitless.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

*next 12

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Now that Petty has had a career 'toughening' in the backline, holding down a key position and opponents across the finals with aplomb,  it's time to make him a real star of the game - in the forward line. The guy could be (is) limitless.

Agree with you Dee. 

assuming Tomlinson gets back to full fitness, definitely think Petty could be left field competition for Brown/TMac/Weid 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

4 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Agree with you Dee. 

assuming Tomlinson gets back to full fitness, definitely think Petty could be left field competition for Brown/TMac/Weid 

Why oh why would either of you want to take a 21 year old premiership defender out of his position he held down for 19 games and an entire finals series with no problems?

It's Tomlinsons problem now to try and break into a premiership side

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2021 at 3:17 PM, Dwight Schrute said:

Geez there were some incredibly salty Dogs supporters around. i had one complaining even now about the non free kick to Schache in the 3rd quarter. 

I was like you lost by 74 points... would need to be a hell of a lot of missed free kicks...

They just expect GFs to be handed to them by the umps like in 2016....

Why does everyone want to move Petty forward? He is going to be one of the best full backs in the competition.

May starts next year at 30, so by the time he is set to retire in 3-4 years Petty will be in his prime and ready to take that spot.

One thing I've realised is you don't need star forwards to win finals and kick big scores. You need good players who all compliment each other and work as a team. If you watched Sydney this year they actually looked more dangerous early in the season when Buddy wasn't playing.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

One thing I've realised is you don't need star forwards to win finals and kick big scores. You need good players who all compliment each other and work as a team. If you watched Sydney this year they actually looked more dangerous early in the season when Buddy wasn't playing.

Tiges with their big name forwards, Cats with their big name forwards,  Lions with theirs (minus Hipwood injured) ... they can't kick goals while they're watching the ball sail through at the other end of the ground.

MFC finally harnessed the talents at their disposal into a unified team where everyone knew what they were doing and why. That goes for the coaches as much as the players.

Really a tremendous club-wide effort. And now they've all got the first hand experience of success and how to do it. A golden age beckons. Ahhhhhhhhh......

GO DEMONS!!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, 1964_2 said:

Agree with you Dee. 

It is assumptive but at the same time, could well be explored witihout great harm to the team, nor its structures. The replacements of Brown/TMac/Weed are more pressing than that of May should his ageing wheels fall away. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Why oh why would either of you want to take a 21 year old premiership defender out of his position he held down for 19 games and an entire finals series with no problems?

Because Tomlinson didn’t lose a 1 on 1 defensive contest in any 2021 game he played - that’s why. 

Petty & Tomlinson both gun defenders, but think Petty more potential as a fwd.

your point is correct though. Don’t need to even think about this, until Tomlinson bangs down the door again.

Edited by 1964_2
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2021 at 4:47 PM, leave it to deever said:

Sorry that this video relates to the prelim but its just so funny. Bloke starts off trying to present a balanced analysis of his clubs efforts and then keeps just slamming them, Not too dissimilar to some Dees fans of old.

The Cat fan should really have refrained from posting this on social media. Some callous ba$tards might
FEAST ON IT!!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

it probably comes from wanting to utilise the talents of both of them. Never hurts to have options and its important to explore them like moving Tmac up forward.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1964_2 said:

Because Tomlinson didn’t lose a 1 on 1 defensive contest in any 2021 game he played - that’s why. 

Petty & Tomlinson both gun defenders, but think Petty more potential as a fwd.

your point is correct though. Don’t need to even think about this, until Tomlinson bangs down the door again.

9 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

it probably comes from wanting to utilise the talents of both of them. Never hurts to have options and its important to explore them like moving Tmac up forward.

I understand that but Petty has always been a defender and IMO he is on par with Tomlinson. Tomlinson only lost 1 one on one and that was against the Cats after May went down with a fractured eye socket

Our forward line only really clicked in the last four weeks and is pretty damn potent with Fritsch, Brown, McDonald, Spargo, Neal Bullen and Kozzie with Jackson coming off the bench.
Who would Petty replace if playing there?

Our backline has Lever, May, Petty, Salem, Hibberd and Bowey with Rivers coming off the bench.
Who would/should Tomlinson replace?

Im curious as to what makes either of you think Petty would show more potential as a forward?

Each team, even premiers, has personnel changes each year. We don't know what the future holds -- maybe TMac is displaced by Petty and has to force his way back in, maybe Brown gets a sore knee -- but as long as there is competition for places, complacency won't creep in.

GO DEMONS!!!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

I understand that but Petty has always been a defender and IMO he is on par with Tomlinson. Tomlinson only lost 1 one on one and that was against the Cats after May went down with a fractured eye socket

Our forward line only really clicked in the last four weeks and is pretty damn potent with Fritsch, Brown, McDonald, Spargo, Neal Bullen and Kozzie with Jackson coming off the bench.
Who would Petty replace if playing there?

Our backline has Lever, May, Petty, Salem, Hibberd and Bowey with Rivers coming off the bench.
Who would/should Tomlinson replace?

Im curious as to what makes either of you think Petty would show more potential as a forward?

Think you may be missing the point. 

we acknowledge that Petty is likely a better defender than Tomlinson. 

But Petty potentially has more flexibility to be able to play both back and forward, where as Tomlinson is likely to be significantly better as a backman vs other positions.

ie not saying Petty will be a better forward than back :- just saying Petty forward may be best for the team sometime in the future.

Hence at some stage, if Tomlinson gets back to his best, the club will most likely trial Petty as a forward :- even if it’s just as a backup, or as knowledge that they can pull that move to gain a match-up advantage. 

Don’t stress yourself out :- we are talking about a great problem to have, re flexibility and optimising team balance. 

Edited by 1964_2
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

As for me Petty might not be better. But given his talent he might be good there. I just think its great to have options and explore ideas. Remember the injuries we had in 2019?

Petty may well be a better defender and if it aint broke........but Tmac has shown some history of changing form and Weid is not a proven forward. Even if hes only needed as a stop gap its worth knowing he could do it. But yea as it stands I would prefer Petty down back over Tomlinson. Footy is a harsh mistress.

Edited by leave it to deever