AFLW: QF vs Fremantle

Demonland

Best from where i sat behind the southern end goals...

Gay, Pearce (especially the last quarter where she refused to concede and kept getting to contests / clearing the ball), Cunningham, Hanks, Zanker (who almost pulled off a great speckie in the last (her and hanks a bit wasteful at times though.  Especially when Zanker marked well about 50 out, breeze at her back, just had to get it in long and quick to Bannan deep one on one for a chance to seal it, but instead took forever to dispose allowing numbers back then kicked it shallow to the pocket for zero return), Paxman, Parry, Scott, Birch and Mithen.

Maddie probably BOG.  Paxman was in everything as always but i have a feeling she was double teamed a bit around the stoppages.

The biggest tactical mistake for the day, kicking and running the ball early in the third for about the first five minutes to the club wing, allowing Freo the opportunity to rebound with a four to five goal breeze (AFL equivelant) at their back vs the outer side where they had to kick into the breeze a little with less accuracy and a little less distance.  Thankfully the girls appeared to wake up to this flaw after Freo's first goal and started kicking / running it out along the far wing from then.

All up they did well to score in both the first and third quarters against the howler and kick away a little in the last 5 minutes in what was a scrappy ugly game in blustery fickle conditions.

Nice win indeed Demons!

• Like 6

Welcome to Casey, Freo.

It is not a place to showcase the game.

Took control in the first when we were against the wind.

Great team work. All running as one, with a smart game plan. Fell away in the second half as we made it an arm wrestle.

Some of our small release handballs were beautiful.

Good tackling, took any run away from the docks.

Big kicks when we had the wind and hugging the boundary and creating stoppages when against it.

Paxman, what an effort all game. Gay has the strut. Mithin will run at a brick wall. McGee had a good game and popped up when needed as did Colvin, Birch, Parry and Lampard, Sheriff as well. Hanks did a tie down role on their star. Zanker, Cunningham and Pearce good play.

I think, we did not have a passenger. 

We need just a bit more composure around the goals.

Train smart, then bring the pressure and be first to the ball when we play the crows

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Agree. I've been critical of the close in hand balling but it worked a treat today. sharp and clean. We were able to clear the congestion and evade the tacklers as a result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really liked the way we adapted to the conditions, depending on which way were kicking.  In fact, we've been extremely adaptable over the last month, and it's become a great 'strength' to take into a finals campaign.  Two weeks to go girls!

Jeez, I love that song ...... especially when it's belted out after a final!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Welcome to Casey, Freo.

It is not a place to showcase the game.

Took control in the first when we were against the wind.

Great team work. All running as one, with a smart game plan. Fell away in the second half as we made it an arm wrestle.

Good tackling, took any run away from the docks.

Big kicks when we had the wind and hugging the boundary and creating stoppages when against it.

Paxman, what an effort all game. Gay has the strut. Mithin will run at a brick wall. McGee had a good game and popped up when needed as did Colvin, Birch, Parry and Lampard, Sheriff as well. Hanks did a tie down role on their star. Zanker, Cunningham and Pearce good play,. I think, we did not have a passenger. 

We need just a bit more composure around the goals.

Train smart, then bring the pressure and be first to the ball when we play the crows

Good summary especially a bit messy up forward.

Clear out that forward line a little and try and get a tall (Bannan/Zanker/Gay/Cunningham) with a small (Hanks!?) one out where possible on occasions.  A bit too congested deep most of the time.  Lead out and drag a few defenders away from the hot zone might work better.  Freo did fold a spare down back when they were against the breeze though which no doubt added to the congestion woes so not all our doing.

If i may also add...

While maintaining possession is important, especially against the breeze, when you get a quick hand ball receive in congestion from a stoppage (and we did get a fair few..nicely done girls) and there's even a small window to go long with a big breeze at your back in a dangerous launching area of the ground (ie, about the back of the square and forward from there) just go the long option under severe pressure pls (when there's little time/space!).

One too many extra hand balls in these scenarios cost us from gaining crucial yardage on a few occasions with the breeze and allowed Freo a few extra entries into their 50 against it.

Mind you they'll probably not play in such a howler for the remainder of the finals so you can throw the 'go long under pressure once clear" option out the window lol.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MO FINE said:

Wow. Collingwood were on top of the ladder for most of the season and now they’ve been bundled out in week 1 of the finals. 

My heart bleeds.

The only two teams that beat us this year are out of the competition.

You may have spoken too soon. Pies just re-took the lead late in the 4th.

3 minutes ago, MO FINE said:

Wow. Collingwood were on top of the ladder for most of the season and now they’ve been bundled out in week 1 of the finals. 

My heart bleeds.

You’ve spoken too soon. They’ve just hit the front. 

I thought the girls did an excellent job of locking the ball in the forward line in that last qtr, ran the clock down over the course of the whole qtr and when the ball did threaten to get out the back pushed back strongly. Freo were never in it being behind at 3QT 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MO FINE said:

My heart bleeds.

Oops ... my device told me it was over. 

Bad luck to the Roos. Better luck next week (or next year, whatever).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Taking it one week at a time of course but where would it be played? Victoria Park?

They finished above us but I think it would be played at Princes park.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dl4e said:

Good win. Now for the prelim. I hope Daisy can play next week.

Our first quarter was brilliant. To not concede a goal with that breeze was fantastic.

I want to say congradulations to Lilly Mithen. Again she was at the bottom of every pack fighting like nails for the ball. Gutsiest player in the league. Lauren Pearce was great as well as Paxman, Scott,Lampard, Guy, Hanks and Zanker.

Tough ask next week but this is one side that I believe in. Have not said that much about the MFC at all.

Me too. Can't believe how much I've enjoyed watching these girls play 

The club should be promoting the hell out of this team. They just never give in!

Tough as nails.  

Very proud of them

• Like 7

I knew it was in the bag within the 1st few minutes.
Could tell they were switched right on.
Was very impressed wih some of the lightning handball chains.
The skills are coming along very nicely.
Zanker crashing a couple packs early letting her presence be felt and would have loved it if she held that screamer.
One thing is for sure , win or lose, these girls won't die wondering.
Love the effort.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 7

Fantastic win.  So windy.  Agree that Maddi was magnificent, MVP.  Paxy was ubiquitous working so hard, brilliant effort.  The taggers, Tyla Hanks on 2021 AFLWCA coaches award winner Kiera Bowers (20 disposals) and Shelley Heath On Sabreena Duffy (5 disposals) were both outstanding again. Loving the rise of speccy Magee too, really showing her dash and courage.   I reckon we have the belief to win next week, though a big task over there and I think the Pies are more than evens against Brisbane.

A Demons v Pies AFLW Grand Final at Ikon Park...would be a huge game and fitting climactic finish to a fantastic season. Let’s keep winning!  Go Dees.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Meggs said:

Fantastic win.  So windy.  Agree that Maddi was magnificent, MVP.  Paxy was ubiquitous working so hard, brilliant effort.  The taggers, Tyla Hanks on 2021 AFLWCA coaches award winner Kiera Bowers (20 disposals) and Shelley Heath On Sabreena Duffy (5 disposals) were both outstanding again. Loving the rise of speccy Magee too, really showing her dash and courage.   I reckon we have the belief to win next week, though a big task over there and I think the Pies are more than evens against Brisbane.

A Demons v Pies AFLW Grand Final at Ikon Park...would be a huge game and fitting climactic finish to a fantastic season. Let’s keep winning!  Go Dees.

I'm actually really pleased we are playing the crows at Adelaide oval rather than Casey.

One, its fitting tbey play on a proper AFL ground.

And two, unless it is wet conditions should be perfect in terms of wind.

One reason I thought yesterday's win was so impressive was it a grind. Our skills still shone through and were a big factor. But the wind made it hard to score and therefore get out to a comfortable lead.

Our game is built on precision ball movement, by hand and foot. And we are quite aggressive in terms of preparedness to use the corridor.

Good conditions support these elements

And perhaps our most damaging player (not best), zanker will thrive at Adelaide oval in good condition  as will Pearce and Cunningham, two players that give us a big edge.

If we are on, the crows will have a hell of a time stopping us from transitioning the ball quickly and scoring. As was the case when we played them in perfect conditions at Casey a few weeks back

• Like 4

How good is it to wake up Monday after a double victory weekend!

Another excellent team effort by the girls, with Maddi Gay the standout. As someone said upthread, couldn't really name any passengers in this game, with every player bobbing up at some point to play their part. Cunningham's best game in a while, had some good quick hands and important touches and the role she's playing structurally is valuable for Zanker and L.Pearce. Glad they went with Tarrant up forward and what a time for her first AFLW goal! Good to have adaptable players like this who can play forward or back. Also well done to Emonson who slotted in well.

Special shout out to Magee who played her best game yet in her short career. Her improvement week on week has been immense all things considered. She's learning at a rate of knots. It's heart in mouth stuff at times but her dash out of defense was a sight to behold.

Shelley Scott goes completely under the radar outside the club, which is weird considering she was our B&F last year! But she just keeps on keeping on.

Only injury concern is Downie who I saw limp off in the dying stage. The race is on for Daisy but even if she doesn't get up, her influence will be all over the field.

Adelaide in Adelaide is a tough ask but our team should go in with every belief and a good understanding of what kind of effort will be required.

• Like 3