CHANGES: Rd 16 vs Fremantle

Demonland

25 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

On the money as usual Luci.

I recall the statement being made at the start of the footy glut , that we wouldn't be resting players - FMD!

BTW . if we make 9 changes against Freo we will be [censored] on from a height.

We really should provide greater opportunities and numbers onfield for all of our young 'uns, to give them experience across the rest of the year, resting key, core players outside of team training - rotational, if necessary. Our best 22 is a myth, anyway. We will never have a 'best 22' under Goodwin. Keep them in contact with the game and on their toes by all means; flood the rest of the team with those without much experience. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

A bit late in my book.  I think it is the core players that should be rested. 

imv we should have rotated/rested sore players, midfielders and Weideman (who has been bashed around for a while and is still not AFL conditioned having played about 30 games) during the first condensed fixture or at the beginning of this condensed fixture.  Now we are in a catch-22 where we can't afford to rest core players because of injuries to others. 

Edit:  As an aside, I was a bit disappointed in Goodwin talking about the tight fixture, Alice, travel and arriving at Gazaly same day.  All may be correct but if we had rotated/rested players when we had the chance, then those things probably wouldn't have taken the toll they have.  It sounded like he was laying the ground work for reasons excuses for not making finals.  He was not at all convincing in his expectations of what we will achieve.   Hope he does a more convincing job on the players.

I would've made a few changes for the Dogs game, but the reality is we were fresh for Pies game and shouldn't have overexerted ourselves then and were fresh again for the Dogs and Saints. 

We made changes against the Saints and then again against Sydney. 

The problem as you have correctly identified is we can freshen up some of the chasing half forwards but the team doesn't have the positional flexibility or talent to freshen up other key areas in Weid and the mids.

Geelong have done this very well. Dangerfield goes to full forward. Hawkins sits his large backside inside 50. They bring in fresh on ballers and they win games early with powerful bursts then keep the heat out of games.

Petracca should've got the full forward only treatment against the Swans and Weid should've been banned from leaving the 50 and/or dropped down to 70% game time. A fresh Tom McDonald with a hope and a prayer to play CHF. Then bring in 2 fresh mids to play big on ball minutes - say Harmes and C Wagner (unfortunately not Sparrow and Jordon). Brayshaw has a game off. Oliver and Viney play limited minutes.

The mistake we seemed to have made is we've confused physical fitness to run out games with the energy and motivation needed to sustain high levels of effort. I believe Burgo when he says 16 minute quarters make the running required for AFL games similar to soccer but I think he's miscalculating just how much tackling, being tackle and tough contested footy zaps the energy levels. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The rumour is 9 changes. No idea if true. But when was the last time any team, let alone us, made 9 changes?

We know Jones, Harmes and Brayshaw are out. OMac is surely another. Another five from there is insane to think about: would surely be looking at players like Melksham, Fritsch, Spargo and OMac.

I'd be surprised to see 9 changes, but if we do, let's hope the surprises are more in relation to the players coming in than the players going out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

The rumour is 9 changes. No idea if true. But when was the last time any team, let alone us, made 9 changes?

We know Jones, Harmes and Brayshaw are out. OMac is surely another. Another five from there is insane to think about: would surely be looking at players like Melksham, Fritsch, Spargo and OMac.

I'd be surprised to see 9 changes, but if we do, let's hope the surprises are more in relation to the players coming in than the players going out.

Agree hopefully some fresh Blood.

If true and if 9 changes try this lot

IN  Pruess, Bennell, Pickett, VDB, Hunt, Lockhart, Hibbo, Baker and either  Bedford or Jordan, 

OUT Harmes, Jones, Gus, Melksham, Oscar, Spargo, Fritsch, Wagner, and either Brown or Smith

Further, I would love to know the most changes ever made to a side and that side won the following week!?

Edited by picket fence
  • Shocked 1

39 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Having a having a Mallee Shearer’s shandy - cask red topped up with VB to accompany an underarm  pressed burger. 

41 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Having a having a Mallee Shearer’s shandy - cask red topped up with VB to accompany an underarm  pressed burger. 

is that like a Radar armpit sandwich

54 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I would've made a few changes for the Dogs game, but the reality is we were fresh for Pies game and shouldn't have overexerted ourselves then and were fresh again for the Dogs and Saints. 

We made changes against the Saints and then again against Sydney. 

The problem as you have correctly identified is we can freshen up some of the chasing half forwards but the team doesn't have the positional flexibility or talent to freshen up other key areas in Weid and the mids.

Geelong have done this very well. Dangerfield goes to full forward. Hawkins sits his large backside inside 50. They bring in fresh on ballers and they win games early with powerful bursts then keep the heat out of games.

Petracca should've got the full forward only treatment against the Swans and Weid should've been banned from leaving the 50 and/or dropped down to 70% game time. A fresh Tom McDonald with a hope and a prayer to play CHF. Then bring in 2 fresh mids to play big on ball minutes - say Harmes and C Wagner (unfortunately not Sparrow and Jordon). Brayshaw has a game off. Oliver and Viney play limited minutes.

The mistake we seemed to have made is we've confused physical fitness to run out games with the energy and motivation needed to sustain high levels of effort. I believe Burgo when he says 16 minute quarters make the running required for AFL games similar to soccer but I think he's miscalculating just how much tackling, being tackle and tough contested footy zaps the energy levels. 

Great post.  Agree on every point. 

I looked on in awe at how Geelong were managing their players while watching us [censored] f.l.o.g ours. 

That most of our players are young and not yet 'AFL game hardened' was reason enough to manage their games/time.  The number of our best/core players (all 4 top defenders, Weideman, Langdon, Gawn and various midfielders) playing over 90% game time in frequent games with little recovery time is gobbsmacking.

Its no wonder we couldn't stick tackles vs Swans. 

iirc, in July Burgess said he had to calm the players and explain how they could cope with a condensed fixture and a 'no resting' policy.  I feel the club has let them down and I wouldn't blame our players for being rather p....d off about it.

I hope Goodwin and co don't ramp up the talk of condensed fixture, travel, conditions, arriving late at grounds etc etc.  as excuses if we don't make finals.  Such talk treats us like fools.  We know they had a chance to manage it and didn't take it.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Hey @picket fence  . A few posters above have commented on their choice of wine while waiting for team selection.

What cheap slop of choice are you guzzling atm?

Yellowtail Chardy - overpriced at $8 a bottle.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Hey @picket fence  . A few posters above have commented on their choice of wine while waiting for team selection.

Here you go Uncle, From a top class wine producer, this magnificent Vintage comes specially recommended 

Suggest you also imbibe with a magnificent Skirt Steak and Fresh frozen Veggies straight from your freezer to Plate.

Buon Appetito 

PICKET FENCE FINE SHIRAZ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

This is a marvellous drop.

Image-1.jpg

Edited by Left Foot Snap
missed an a
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

If @Tough Kentis right about 9 changes and Goodwin mentioned 6 names there is at least 3 others to come in so Kozzie could well be one.  Would be surprised if he wasn't.

There could well be a few surprise outs.

Well the website listed who was in the mix for this week and I reckon they named everybody in cairns bar Bradtke as a possible in. At least most of them will be fresh.

Just now, Older demon said:

Well the website listed who was in the mix for this week and I reckon they named everybody in cairns bar Bradtke as a possible in. At least most of them will be fresh.

our web site is laugheble

7 minutes ago, trout said:

Well I for one am really struggling particularly after today plus still from the other afternoon. So I have a bottle of Pinot and a bottle of Shiraz open pizza in the oven, that will hopefully help.

did you play footy at burwood