Tom McDonald

Elegt

11 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

??.

But we have others like Sparrow...Harmes and a couple of others that can cover injuries there.

In fact with Gus in the mix we have been wondering what to do with Viney.

Now with Jackson injured we have nobody but Tmac to play 2nd key frwd.

Not sure I follow your argument.

sparrow ain't covering nothing - gone for the year if his collarbone needs surgery

13 minutes ago, A F said:

Well done, Biffboy. You're best on ground. We're all sheep and you're the tactical genius.

We can finally agree on something.

I know you think you're the missing forward coach we've needed but you really over do it.

It's a simple game ,over-complicated by off-field handicappers who are no longer able to physically play it.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tmac played reasonably where he took a strong mark and kicked a goal he is a good option at the minute while Jackson mends.

He is not the 2018 player that he was but although he is battling there was some good work he did around the ground pinch hitting.

You cross  the white line then you are fit to play. 

IMO you can find some form and pick up again as you go . We will need his experience against the saints this week anyway he loves playing  at  Traeger park  NT  probably do him good to get away from the hub.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Biffen said:

We can finally agree on something.

I know you think you're the missing forward coach we've needed but you really over do it.

It's a simple game ,over-complicated by off-field handicappers who are no longer able to physically play it.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Haha, Plapp is our forward coach, ya goose. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Biffboy. Don't get too angry on a Sunday.

34 minutes ago, A F said:

Haha, Plapp is our forward coach, ya goose. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Biffboy. Don't get too angry on a Sunday.

I don't get angry at flies.I just spray them.

Finish your homework .

1 hour ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

sparrow ain't covering nothing - gone for the year if his collarbone needs surgery

Collarbones of late have been metal plate inserted and out for 3 weeks

On 8/22/2020 at 4:45 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

Really don't know what to do with McDonald. 

Really thought last year was once off due to team performance. But this year he just hasn't been able to back it up.

Do we move him down back??

16 hours ago, A F said:

Please don't suggest this. He's a butcher back there. As soon as he went back to ruck a defensive stoppage he kicked it straight into a Bulldog who picked up the crumb and kicked an easy goal. As @DeeSpencer says, his problem is he overrates his abilities and doesn't play the percentages. That spells death in defence. Would get killed once the ball hits the deck too.

I think he plays out the season as a KPF and we look to trade him. The problem is we're a bit skint on KPFs. Weideman, Jackson, Petty(?) and Brown. You couldn't see the latter being on the list next year either.

If Richmond can build a forwardline around one KPF in 2017 and win the flag, then we shouldn't be afraid of the prospect of having Weideman and Jackson with a rotating ruckman down there.

Dazzle that's a big no for mine....for reasons such as that mentioned by AF.  One of the most awkward ugly bits of play i've seen from a backman for a while.  Possibly since this one.  Ok not quite but you get my drift.  I just wouldn't put him anywhere near the opp's goals from here.

Could we see a miracle turnaround?  Who knows.... it wasn't that long ago he was scoring on a regular basis in some matches.  Personally i agree with AF.  Isolate him in the square and get the Weid to play the CHF role as he's younger and more mobile than Tommy obviously.   See the year out.  Go all out on Cameron with a lucrative trade deal if we can?

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Dazzle that's a big no for mine....for reasons such as that mentioned by AF.  One of the most awkward ugly bits of play i've seen from a backman for a while.  Possibly since this one.  Ok not quite but you get my drift.  I just wouldn't put him anywhere near the opp's goals from here.

Could we see a miracle turnaround?  Who knows.... it wasn't that long ago he was scoring on a regular basis in some matches.  Personally i agree with AF.  Isolate him in the square and get the Weid to play the CHF role as he's younger and more mobile than Tommy obviously.   See the year out.  Go all out on Cameron with a lucrative trade deal if we can?

Paradoxically, I'd still play Weideman deep and keep Tom roaming. Weideman is starting to look dangerous deep and will begin to worry defenders the more his confidence grows.

Edited by A F

1 minute ago, A F said:

Paradoxically, I'd still play Weideman deep and keep Tom roaming. Weideman is starting to look dangerous deep and will begin to worry defenders the more his confidence grows.

I hear you AF but to me Tom just doesn't have the legs / run any more to play that role.  And he can't play ruck rover all day nor should he be going anywhere near the opp's goals.  So where do you play him for the remainder of the year?  I just don't see him being able to cover the two way running required in that area of the ground.  Could be wrong though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

I hear you AF but to me Tom just doesn't have the legs / run any more to play that role.  And he can't play ruck rover all day nor should he be going anywhere near the opp's goals.  So where do you play him for the remainder of the year?  I just don't see him being able to cover the two way running required in that area of the ground.  Could be wrong though.

It's a tough one mate. We could try Weideman playing higher and see if it upsets the forward balance too much. If not, we're going to have to compromise system and look at 1 tall (that did not work earlier in the year) or bring Brown in to play Tom's role of rucking and 2nd KPF.

• Like 1

I'm not sure of the reasons people keep suggesting moving him back. He clearly doesn't fit there anymore, I'd easily have Oscar as a defender over Tom right now, not least because Oscar has been playing there for the last few years whereas Tom hasn't. 

I just don't know what is to be done with Tommy anymore, I think the injury from last year and maybe the form drop of the team has killed any confidence he had. He may well bob up for a random good game this year but it just doesn't seem to be happening.

When Jacko is back to fitness and has had one run around in the scratch matches I'd be bringing him back in.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Pates said:

I'm not sure of the reasons people keep suggesting moving him back. He clearly doesn't fit there anymore, I'd easily have Oscar as a defender over Tom right now, not least because Oscar has been playing there for the last few years whereas Tom hasn't. 

I just don't know what is to be done with Tommy anymore, I think the injury from last year and maybe the form drop of the team has killed any confidence he had. He may well bob up for a random good game this year but it just doesn't seem to be happening.

When Jacko is back to fitness and has had one run around in the scratch matches I'd be bringing him back in.

Agreed mate. On this, how far off is Jackson?

5 minutes ago, A F said:

On the Melbourne website it says 4-6 weeks for his Hammy!!!!! ?

If that's the case we might be putting him on ice until 2021! I didn't realise he'd done it that bad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Fair point Rusty.

I know I did mention a potential trade but I take that comment back. Need him at least to have an extra big body there to help Weid and let Jackson develop in his own right.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pates said:

If that's the case we might be putting him on ice until 2021! I didn't realise he'd done it that bad!

You know we don't do minor injuries Pates....it's 4-6 (ie., of unknown length / term) or nadda!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, A F said:

2 hours ago, Pates said:

Funny to say for a first year player...

...but he has been a big loss.

Just got our forward half into some type of shape then he goes down.

Apart from anything else I really like watching him play.

Look forward to watching him develop in 2021.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rjay said:

Funny to say for a first year player...

...but he has been a big loss.

Just got our forward half into some type of shape then he goes down.

Apart from anything else I really like watching him play.

Look forward to watching him develop in 2021.

Perhaps, the club can use his downtime to extend his contract, ala Pickett? ;)

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, A F said:

Perhaps, the club can use his downtime to extend his contract, ala Pickett? ;)

Thanks 'AF'...

That was also what I meant to post and got sidetracked.

I sure hope we get that news very soon...

• Like 1