Jump to content

Small forwards - what are our trading and draft options?



Recommended Posts

We need working key forwards ... 3 of them.  One of them should be T-Mac whilst Weideman has it all ahead of him.  And we need back-up forwards.  Petracca can often act as the 3rd forward depending on match-ups but sometimes a 3rd marking type is required. 

The obsession with the over abundance of NQR midfielder types needs a shift in thinking.  Especially at our club.

Small forwards work off the shirt-tails of good key forwards so we need to put the horse before the cart. 

Ironically using high-end  or middle-area draft picks on forwards of any description is fraught with danger.  There's the good news but lots of bad news.  And the bad news shows up how flawed drafting is in general.  But the bad news can often show us the right way of going about it.

For instance ... a much easier and safer option is to trade for goal kicking talent.  Barring injury,  you at least know what you're getting when going down that path. 

And our needs are immediate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And overpaying...

We better be all over this kid, looking to be early 20s pick. Would be [censored] if we pass on him for another Vanilla mid like Sparrow/Spargo/Jordan ect  WWT Eagles/South Australia | Small Forw

Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti  171  30 goals Eddie Betts 174   34 goals Willie Rioli  175   17goals Cyril Rioli  177   275 goals Tom Papley 178cm 37 goals Jamie Elliot  178cm  2

Just now, Macca said:

We need working key forwards ... 3 of them.  One of them should be T-Mac whilst Weideman has it all ahead of him.  And we need back-up forwards.  Petracca can often act as the 3rd forward depending on match-ups but sometimes a 3rd marking type is required. 

The obsession with the over abundance of NQR midfielder types needs a shift in thinking.  Especially at our club.

Small forwards work off the shirt-tails of good key forwards so we need to put the horse before the cart. 

Ironically using high-end  or middle-area draft picks on forwards of any description is fraught with danger.  There's the good news but lots of bad news.  And the bad news shows up how flawed drafting is in general.  But the bad news can often show us the right way of going about it.

For instance ... a much easier and safer option is to trade for goal kicking talent.  Barring injury,  you at least know what you're getting when going down that path. 

And our needs are immediate.

I would lock in Fritsch now as our 3rd tall...Trac rotating more in the mids but also spending quality time forward.

The 1st 2 and at least one good small are a problem.

Tmac is a number 2 man...as for the number one man there really is no one available for trade unless Cameron falls out so that leaves Weid and he really must step up next season.

Need to trade in a small, Tiges have the most so at least one should be gettable....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, rjay said:

I would lock in Fritsch now as our 3rd tall...Trac rotating more in the mids but also spending quality time forward.

The 1st 2 and at least one good small are a problem.

Tmac is a number 2 man...as for the number one man there really is no one available for trade unless Cameron falls out so that leaves Weid and he really must step up next season.

Need to trade in a small, Tiges have the most so at least one should be gettable....

Fritsch can be a good 3rd forward marking type ... good point.  But we desperately need a No.1.  We needed to replace Hogan with a like for like.  A year later and the need is even more obvious.

If we go with the same type of tall forward set-up we won't improve.  The other teams know that as well that's why they upped the ante on pressing and pressuring our midfielders. 

Knowing that our forwards can't win their own ball allowed the other teams to pick apart our game plan with ease.  Therefore,  our inside 50 conversion rate became abysmal.  And that was all evident early in the season.

We need to make a big play on at least 1 tall forward from elsewhere.  But 1 acquisition may not be enough.  Some creative trading can get it done rjay.  I reckon we need 2 as I'm doubtful on Weideman and T-Mac works best as a float forward/utility forward option. 

Let's face it,  both players failed massively this past season so to go again with the same system doesn't make any sense.  And then there is the injury factor so back-up is required.

As previously stated,  small forwards work best on the back of good key forwards. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Macca said:

Fritsch can be a good 3rd forward marking type ... good point.  But we desperately need a No.1.  We needed to replace Hogan with a like for like.  A year later and the need is even more obvious.

If we go with the same type of tall forward set-up we won't improve.  The other teams know that as well that's why they upped the ante on pressing and pressuring our midfielders. 

Knowing that our forwards can't win their own ball allowed the other teams to pick apart our game plan with ease.  Therefore,  our inside 50 conversion rate became abysmal.  And that was all evident early in the season.

We need to make a big play on at least 1 tall forward from elsewhere.  But 1 acquisition may not be enough.  Some creative trading can get it done rjay.  I reckon we need 2 as I'm doubtful on Weideman and T-Mac works best as a float forward/utility forward option. 

Let's face it,  both players failed massively this past season so to go again with the same system doesn't make any sense.  And then there is the injury factor so back-up is required.

As previously stated,  small forwards work best on the back of good key forwards. 

Don't forget Melksham, who is another marking goal kicker, though not a key forward, but similar to Fritter.

Edited by Redleg
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Don't forget Melksham, who is another marking goal kicker, though not a key forward, but similar to Fritter.

My main point is that in an ideal world we'd have 2 key forwards of the calibre of Lynch & Reiwoldt (for instance)

All the rest of it takes care of itself if our recruiting is always on the ball.  The add-ons such as Melksham & Fritsch compliment.  Small forwards for the same type of reasoning. 

Richmond missed out on playing in a GF on the back of 1 key forward having a day out.  That's how valuable they are.  Mason Cox couldn't repeat it but he got rid of the Tigers. 

And when you've got good key forwards who can repeat then you're on your way.  Just as long as the numerous other positions are filled with talent as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Macca said:

My main point is that in an ideal world we'd have 2 key forwards of the calibre of Lynch & Reiwoldt (for instance)

All the rest of it takes care of itself if our recruiting is always on the ball.  The add-ons such as Melksham & Fritsch compliment.  Small forwards for the same type of reasoning. 

Richmond missed out on playing in a GF on the back of 1 key forward having a day out.  That's how valuable they are.  Mason Cox couldn't repeat it but he got rid of the Tigers. 

And when you've got good key forwards who can repeat then you're on your way.  Just as long as the numerous other positions are filled with talent as well.

The problem is they are hard to get and there's not many available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

The problem is they are hard to get and there's not many available.

Gotta aim for the stars CJK.

Otherwise you never win.  As an example I was all for the Tilbrook,  Big Carl,  Templeton & Moore acquisitions.  May & Lever the same.

But we needed to keep going with that type of thinking.  Bring in 20 top players over 7 or 8 years like North Melbourne did and you become a power club that wins flags.  Year after year after year.

Meanwhile we languish down at the bottom of the ladder all too often. 

Think and act big.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macca said:

Fritsch can be a good 3rd forward marking type ... good point.  But we desperately need a No.1.  We needed to replace Hogan with a like for like.  A year later and the need is even more obvious.

If we go with the same type of tall forward set-up we won't improve.  The other teams know that as well that's why they upped the ante on pressing and pressuring our midfielders. 

Knowing that our forwards can't win their own ball allowed the other teams to pick apart our game plan with ease.  Therefore,  our inside 50 conversion rate became abysmal.  And that was all evident early in the season.

We need to make a big play on at least 1 tall forward from elsewhere.  But 1 acquisition may not be enough.  Some creative trading can get it done rjay.  I reckon we need 2 as I'm doubtful on Weideman and T-Mac works best as a float forward/utility forward option. 

Let's face it,  both players failed massively this past season so to go again with the same system doesn't make any sense.  And then there is the injury factor so back-up is required.

As previously stated,  small forwards work best on the back of good key forwards. 

Not quite the best option given his age at this stage, but I'd be up for trading our #3 for Ben King. Play King as the #1 with McDonald, Fritsch, Petracca, Melksham, a zippy small and Viney. That's your forwardline. Weideman and McDonald contest for that #2 spot.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A F said:

Not quite the best option given his age at this stage, but I'd be up for trading our #3 for Ben King. Play King as the #1 with McDonald, Fritsch, Petracca, Melksham, a zippy small and Viney. That's your forwardline. Weideman and McDonald contest for that #2 spot.

I don't ever look at the general importance of 1 spot on the list.  Considering there are often 20+ expendable types in any given year with any given club with any given list, what's 1 spot? 

I'd play Jones and/or Viney as small forwards to fill a need.  At least we know they'd both fight hard for the ball and would get to the right spots.  Jones will almost certainly be in his last year anyway whilst Viney might surprise.  The other current options aren't good enough.

So we could go for 3 or 4 tall forward types.  1 might turn out right whilst another might fill a need.  It's trial and error or ... make a play for a big gun forward.  Or perhaps 2 gun forwards over a 2 or 3 year period.

Instead of all that we still.place too much importance on untried high school age draftees.  Often to zero effect.

We did it with May & Lever so why not shore up our forward line?  Supporters get too pre-occupied with small forwards.  I'm hoping the club is thinking a lot bigger than that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet many questioned as to why Pail McNamee was prepared to make a play for Jono Brown back 11 years ago.

Brown was exactly the type of key forward that we needed (to replace Neitz) and I was all for it.  Was only going to be for 4 or 5 years but Steven May falls into the same bracket in terns of probable years of service.

In the ensuing years the closest we came was with Hogan but his value was underplayed and understated.  Measuring the value of a good key forward changed once the game became congested (along with crowded forward lines)

Some players are just no good in confined spaces & circumstances.  And when the bright lights shine others just aren't up to it.  Others relish the contest and relish the front position (as key forwards)

And that is what we desperately need in our forward line.  Crumbing forwards are the add-ons.  3rd & 4th forwards largely the same. 

Edited by Macca
Link to post
Share on other sites

Having awesome tall forward(s) is one way to go, but it isn't the only way to go. Bulldogs had little more than a resting ruckman in their premiership year, Richmond had Riewoldt as their only tall forward. For large parts of that year they did it with no recognised tall forward at all. 

I don't think our problem has been not having a power forward, it has been the way we have structured up, pressing very high and crowding out our forward line. Not only has this made it next to impossible to lead into space or create a 1 on 1, it has meant that teams get over the back of us regularly and undo all the pressure we created in our forward half. All that crowding in our forward line makes it very hard to score even from stoppages. Almost every game I watched this year our forward line looked super crowded and then when the ball went back the other way there was all the space in the world for the opposition to lead into. We can fix this by backing off on the press and backing ourselves to intercept and slingshot the ball back quickly.

I agree with Macca, I think we should move Jones to a forward pocket. He can pressure well and is a good kick for goal, it will be easier on his body and will help the team. Along with Fritsch, Melksham and possibly Joel Smith all good at ground level as well as being able to mark I think we will be fine. TMac will be there and one of Weideman, Preuss or Tim Smith (maybe even Tomlinson if we trade well) we have a forward line that could really work. We just need to deliver it in there better and stop choking up our own forward half of the ground with all 18 players (plus most of the opposition).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Macca said:

Fritsch can be a good 3rd forward marking type ... good point.  But we desperately need a No.1.  We needed to replace Hogan with a like for like.  A year later and the need is even more obvious.

If we go with the same type of tall forward set-up we won't improve.  The other teams know that as well that's why they upped the ante on pressing and pressuring our midfielders. 

Knowing that our forwards can't win their own ball allowed the other teams to pick apart our game plan with ease.  Therefore,  our inside 50 conversion rate became abysmal.  And that was all evident early in the season.

We need to make a big play on at least 1 tall forward from elsewhere.  But 1 acquisition may not be enough.  Some creative trading can get it done rjay.  I reckon we need 2 as I'm doubtful on Weideman and T-Mac works best as a float forward/utility forward option. 

Let's face it,  both players failed massively this past season so to go again with the same system doesn't make any sense.  And then there is the injury factor so back-up is required.

As previously stated,  small forwards work best on the back of good key forwards. 

Disagree. Key forwards rarely win finals. It's great when they do but it doesn't happen all that often these days. Nick Riewoldt was a champion for years on end, but finished with 41 goals in 17 finals. He rarely dominated a final and certainly not a grand final.

69 goals in 24 finals looks great for Buddy but he kicked 7 in his first final and 8 against a hapless Dogs backline the year after, take those 2 out and he's 54 in 22. In the big finals he's mostly been well held especially since the rise in zone defending in the 10's.

Tom McDonald was absolutely the main key forward last year, with or without Hogan. 53 goals in 20 games and plenty of marks. He's not in the top 6 key forwards but he's not far off if he gets back to 2018 form. He'd be the best key forward for Collingwood, Brisbane, the Dogs, Essendon so at least 4 of the finalists. Surely there's still belief he can get back to 2018 form?

Jury is out on Weideman and if there's a chance to upgrade from him that's a good idea but we've got a heap of gaps to fill. A desperation ploy at a replacement now (and who?) doesn't make sense. Bringing in competition for his spot and depth is absolutely important but not with a wild swing.

De Goey is the Pies full forward and Stephenson is their plan B. Charlie Cameron is the Lions full forward. Dusty still does stints at full forward for the Tigers. We need a 40+ goal kicker no matter the size.

And we need small forwards because the cupboard is incredibly bare right now. It's a vital position because they are the front line of defensive pressure that creates turnovers and turnovers lead to scores. I wouldn't make an aggressive trade move for a small unless they are a Charlie Cameron 40+ goal type but I'd absolutely look to trade for someone like Dan Butler and to keep drafting more options. I look at the Eagles adding Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli and suddenly going from fringe finals side to premiers as well as the Tigers turn around in 2017 with their smalls creating so much pressure. Slow, poor overhead, creative/unskilled midfielders up forward doesn't get the job done.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2019 at 3:36 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Disagree. Key forwards rarely win finals. It's great when they do but it doesn't happen all that often these days. Nick Riewoldt was a champion for years on end, but finished with 41 goals in 17 finals. He rarely dominated a final and certainly not a grand final.

69 goals in 24 finals looks great for Buddy but he kicked 7 in his first final and 8 against a hapless Dogs backline the year after, take those 2 out and he's 54 in 22. In the big finals he's mostly been well held especially since the rise in zone defending in the 10's.

Tom McDonald was absolutely the main key forward last year, with or without Hogan. 53 goals in 20 games and plenty of marks. He's not in the top 6 key forwards but he's not far off if he gets back to 2018 form. He'd be the best key forward for Collingwood, Brisbane, the Dogs, Essendon so at least 4 of the finalists. Surely there's still belief he can get back to 2018 form?

Jury is out on Weideman and if there's a chance to upgrade from him that's a good idea but we've got a heap of gaps to fill. A desperation ploy at a replacement now (and who?) doesn't make sense. Bringing in competition for his spot and depth is absolutely important but not with a wild swing.

De Goey is the Pies full forward and Stephenson is their plan B. Charlie Cameron is the Lions full forward. Dusty still does stints at full forward for the Tigers. We need a 40+ goal kicker no matter the size.

And we need small forwards because the cupboard is incredibly bare right now. It's a vital position because they are the front line of defensive pressure that creates turnovers and turnovers lead to scores. I wouldn't make an aggressive trade move for a small unless they are a Charlie Cameron 40+ goal type but I'd absolutely look to trade for someone like Dan Butler and to keep drafting more options. I look at the Eagles adding Liam Ryan and Willie Rioli and suddenly going from fringe finals side to premiers as well as the Tigers turn around in 2017 with their smalls creating so much pressure. Slow, poor overhead, creative/unskilled midfielders up forward doesn't get the job done.

It's all about the X's & O's in certain games not about the actual output.  Although from an overall perspective it is about output.

But if you're measuring things by goals kicked  by key forwards in certain games it's a short-sighted view in today's footy (crowded forward lines etc)

To me a forward line starts and finishes with key forwards who have a presence,  can take a mark and can kick straight.  But they can't do it all the time these days.  But the 'threat' has to be there.  Stuff that is hard to measure. 

It's like not having a proper ruckman ... someone like T-Mac,  Weideman,  Tim Smith or Watts will eventually be outpointed to a point where the opposition can only lose if their coaching is incompetent.  A journeyman ruckman like Nankervous will suffice though because he's a proper ruckman.

So if you've got 2 dud key forwards the same sort of outcome can occur.  As we saw this season. 

Not playing key forwards isn't going to work either as the opposition will find another way to gain a strong advantage in that situation (unless you've got 3 or 4 champion other forwards like Chapman,  Johnson et al)

Our lot apart from our key forwards are below average as well.  Petracca is our best but he has goal kicking issues.   So describing our forward line as dysfuntional isn't overstating things.  Our issues are quite identifiable if the truth be known.  But fixing things is easier said than done because of the restrictions with recruiting.

I can remember when the club (and the supporters) thought our troubles were over when we recruited John Tilbrook.  We placed him on a half forward flank in a dysfuntional forward line devoid of talent.  And then the players wouldn't kick it to him.  Starvation corner had a whole new meaning

And then the supporters blamed Tilbrook!  That's how it works but I see things way differently. 

You put a gun small forward into our dysfuntional forward line right now and he'd be wasted somewhat.  Surround him with a couple of top-notch gun key forwards and it's a different story.  So one comes before the other.  Working from the opposite way is high risk.

We'd be easy to coach against and the outcomes indicate that as well.

You put Lynch & Reiwoldt into our forward line this season and we'd be playing finals again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Macca said:

It's all about the X's & O's in certain games not about the actual output.  Although from an overall perspective it is about output.

But if you're measuring things by goals kicked  by key forwards in certain games it's a short-sighted view in today's footy (crowded forward lines etc)

To me a forward line starts and finishes with key forwards who have a presence,  can take a mark and can kick straight.  But they can't do it all the time these days.  But the 'threat' has to be there.  Stuff that is hard to measure. 

It's like not having a proper ruckman ... someone like T-Mac,  Weideman,  Tim Smith or Watts will eventually be outpointed to a point where the opposition can only lose if their coaching is incompetent.  A journeyman ruckman like Nankervous will suffice though because he's a proper ruckman.

So if you've got 2 dud key forwards the same sort of outcome can occur.  As we saw this season. 

Not playing key forwards isn't going to work either as the opposition will find another way to gain a strong advantage in that situation (unless you've got 3 or 4 champion other forwards like Chapman,  Johnson et al)

Our lot apart from our key forwards are below average as well.  Petracca is our best but he has goal kicking issues.   So describing our forward line as dysfuntional isn't overstating things.  Our issues are quite identifiable if the truth be known.  But fixing things is easier said than done because of the restrictions with recruiting.

I can remember when the club (and the supporters) thought our troubles were over when we recruited John Tilbrook.  We placed him on a half forward flank in a dysfuntional forward line devoid of talent.  And then the players wouldn't kick it to him.  Starvation corner had a whole new meaning

And then the supporters blamed Tilbrook!  That's how it works but I see things way differently. 

You put a gun small forward into our dysfuntional forward line right now and he'd be wasted somewhat.  Surround him with a couple of top-notch gun key forwards and it's a different story.  So one comes before the other.  Working from the opposite way is high risk.

We'd be easy to coach against and the outcomes indicate that as well.

You put Lynch & Reiwoldt into our forward line this season and we'd be playing finals again.

 

 

Last line says it all for me macca.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Not sure why the mfc hardly ever comes  up when a key player is coming up for trade/free agents. Example Coniglio, Hill, Patton etc. etc 

May, Lever! To a lesser extent, Melsham, Hibberd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Redleg said:

May, Lever! To a lesser extent, Melsham, Hibberd.

We have been quite active in recent years Redleg and who is to say we won't bring in a couple of ready made players again.  To my way of thinking I'd like to see 4 new 'good' players all-up.  Hard to do though and I reckon we've only done that once in the last 15 years  (2014 - Brayshaw,  Petracca,  Frost & Harmes)

The top end pick this year might take a year or 2 to hit his straps if we draft a midfielder type with that pick but we might be able to swing a few moves with this year's 2nd rounder and next year's 1st and/or 2nd rounder.  Plus there's trades however elaborate. 

I'm expecting quite a bit of activity from the club and we might see up to 10-11 new faces. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Macca said:

Fritsch can be a good 3rd forward marking type ... good point.  I reckon we need 2 as I'm doubtful on Weideman and T-Mac works best as a float forward/utility forward option. 

Let's face it,  both players failed massively this past season so to go again with the same system doesn't make any sense.  And then there is the injury factor so back-up is required.

As previously stated,  small forwards work best on the back of good key forwards. 

I would argue Fritsch is our 2nd at this point Macca.  2nd who can genuinly compete (great overhead) & convert effectively at least.

T-Mac No.1 till we find that needle in a haystack genuine KF.

Personally, unless he has a brilliant  2020,  i think the Weid is a bust at AFL level other than for fringe depth in a rock solid team that's already up and going and needs a fill in for a few weeks or so to cover one of the first two up there.

KFs that could take over the No.1 mantel don't grow on trees.

Realistically i can't see us snagging Cameron and that leaves Patton with his dodgy knee.

Anyone thinking Jenkins will turn us around must be on the turps.

We might have to go small small small and just get it to ground wherever possible.  Do a Richmond and hope for some decent cameo performances in between by our only tall in T-Mac (if he can work his way back to 35-40 goal type form as the No.1) and the two genuine medium forwards...Melk & Fritshkreig.

Edited by Rusty Nails
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

We might have to go small small small and just get it to ground wherever possible.  Do a Richmond and hope for some decent cameo performances in between by our only tall in T-Mac (if he can work his way back to 35-40 goal type form as the No.1) and the two genuine medium forwards...Melk & Fritshkreig.

If we're going to go small 'Rusty' then we had better bring in a couple of quality small forwards.

Money needs to be on the line for Bolton and one other...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Not sure why the mfc hardly ever comes  up when a key player is coming up for trade/free agents. Example Coniglio, Hill, Patton etc. etc 

It's partly by design Demonsone.  How does a highly rated player like Lynch end up at a club that won a premiership only two seasons ago and has the biggest following in the League?...

When we lost the likes of T$ and Frawley were we duly compensated?

The NFL compensatory system attempts to put a value on any such free trade loss....

Compensatory free agents are determined by a proprietary formula, developed by the NFL Management Council, which considers a player’s salary, playing time and postseason honors.

The value of the compensatory free agents gained or lost by each team is totaled, and a team is awarded picks of equal value to the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four

Compensatory picks may be traded.

The AFL has a formula also but as far as i understand it only compensates once a free agent has hit veteran status (10 years) and for restricted free agents it's 8 years minimum.

I'm no expert on either compensatory system but to me the NFL one looks like it's capturing all free agent losses rather than leaving certain windows open where a club potentially receives none if it doesn't deal in the year prior to a player hitting his free agency trigger point.

Edited by Rusty Nails
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, rjay said:

If we're going to go small 'Rusty' then we had better bring in a couple of quality small forwards.

Money needs to be on the line for Bolton and one other...

I reckon the RTOT value would be more wisely spent in this area than chasing the elusive KF rabbit rjay.

Much more likely to find a few decent options unable to push their way in to the Tiger's line up and one or two other clubs with strong quality depth.  Bolton as you say is a potential get.

Ideally we need both but the KF options are either NQRs or a bridge too far (for us) imv.  This might change if we can make finals in the next year or two but until then beggars can't be choosers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Demonsone said:

Not sure why the mfc hardly ever comes  up when a key player is coming up for trade/free agents. Example Coniglio, Hill, Patton etc. etc 

In the last 2 years respectively we've arguably secured the two highest profile players to switch clubs (May and Lever). We were linked to Hill but he doesn't wanna play for us!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

I would argue Fritsch is our 2nd at this point Macca.  2nd who can genuinly compete (great overhead) & convert effectively at least.

T-Mac No.1 till we find that needle in a haystack genuine KF.

Personally, unless he has a brilliant  2020,  i think the Weid is a bust at AFL level other than for fringe depth in a rock solid team that's already up and going and needs a fill in for a few weeks or so to cover one of the first two up there.

KFs that could take over the No.1 mantel don't grow on trees.

Realistically i can't see us snagging Cameron and that leaves Patton with his dodgy knee.

Anyone thinking Jenkins will turn us around must be on the turps.

We might have to go small small small and just get it to ground wherever possible.  Do a Richmond and hope for some decent cameo performances in between by our only tall in T-Mac (if he can work his way back to 35-40 goal type form as the No.1) and the two genuine medium forwards...Melk & Fritshkreig.

If I was part of the recruiting team I'd find a way.  By hook or by crook (To bring in 2 decent key forwards over a 2 or 3 year period)

As a collective our forwards play from behind,  they don't lead enough or lead to space,  can't kick straight and don't play as a team within a team.  And the marking skills are well below par and they don't 'relish' the front position.

As individuals you could make a case for any number of them but as a collective,  we fail.  Ironically the bloke who does play in front and who does make multiple leads and make position is too small for the task (Spargo)  And Spargo isn't quick enough nor does he have the kicking skills to be a decent small forward.

Our forward line deficiencies first reared its ugly head after half time at Port Adelaide in 2018.  Hinkley decided to pressure & press our midfielders and the rest is history.  Sooner or later all the other clubs were going to cotton-on and that's what has happened.

A hurried or haphazard kick into a forward line can still be retained if all our forwards get to the front position and relish doing it.  But we play from behind and won't adhere to the fundamentals.

We also need cleaner delivery from our midfield and those issues can be addressed with more skillful midfielders,  pace,  outside run,  spread etc etc

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macca said:

If I was part of the recruiting team I'd find a way.  By hook or by crook (To bring in 2 decent key forwards over a 2 or 3 year period)

As a collective our forwards play from behind,  they don't lead enough or lead to space,  can't kick straight and don't play as a team within a team.  And the marking skills are well below par and they don't 'relish' the front position.

As individuals you could make a case for any number of them but as a collective,  we fail.  Ironically the bloke who does play in front and who does make multiple leads and make position is too small for the task (Spargo)  And Spargo isn't quick enough nor does he have the kicking skills to be a decent small forward.

Our forward line deficiencies first reared its ugly head after half time at Port Adelaide in 2018.  Hinkley decided to pressure & press our midfielders and the rest is history.  Sooner or later all the other clubs were going to cotton-on and that's what has happened.

A hurried or haphazard kick into a forward line can still be retained if all our forwards get to the front position and relish doing it.  But we play from behind and won't adhere to the fundamentals.

We also need cleaner delivery from our midfield and those issues can be addressed with more skillful midfielders,  pace,  outside run,  spread etc etc

 

No arguments on needing them and the present bunch, aside from Hunt & Melk, not working hard enough to get front position Macca.  Which is why i'd keep Hunt for at least next year.

It's been an issue for years and makes you wonder about whoever is teaching these blokes the craft.  Shocking stuff with most.  Melk about the only one who seems like  a natural but his forward craft probably comes from his days at the Bombers.

I don't think we're much of a chance of picking a Cameron up and imv the other KFs are NQRs.

Get two decent smalls in and get the ball to ground for the likes of Tracc, lockhart (wait & see), chandler (early days) and two decent quality small recruits to mop up.

If we ever get some cred back we might then be a chance of trading in a decent KF in the following trade period ie; a year or two away at best.

Edited by Rusty Nails
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN MINUTES LATE by Whispering Jack

    The late Norm Smith, who played in four Melbourne premierships and coached another six, was a strong disciplinarian. Known as the Red Fox for his auburn hair and his cunning, Smith was a man of a different age to the here and now. Born during the Great War, he survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, grew up in depression times, played mostly through the Second World War and its aftermath and coached in a period of rebuilding and recovery to a time of prosperity. Smith’s success was built on team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAINTS HELL IN DEES HEAVEN by GOTO

    The last of this year’s indigenous games was played in the red heart of the country and could well have determined Melbourne’s finals aspirations but it was St Kilda that had its top four hopes dashed after a nail-biting finish in Alice Springs which saw them unceremoniously marched out of the position in football heaven occupied by them for much of this season. It all came down in the end to a goal-line decision as to whether a freakish shot by Christian Petracca was touched and the goal u

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DO OR DIE by The Oracle

    Melbourne is, not for the first time, paying for lapses in matches whereby the club leaks multiple goals without answer and which usually cost the club in those all-important eight point games as it did last week against the Western Bulldogs which replaced the Demons in the AFL top eight. And this week, they come up against a team that reputedly plays in the same mode as the Bulldogs but has been able to prevail over better opponents than Melbourne. It’s not that the Demons are out of form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVE THE DOGS A BONE by George on the Outer

    The winner of the game is in the top eight and the loser out. Had Melbourne won, it would have consigned the Bulldogs season to the scrapheap given their remaining fixture which still includes a bye. The Demons led at half-time but they gave the Dogs a bone which was willingly accepted — they notched 6 goals in the third quarter and dumped the Demons out of the eight. This game simply saw all the bad habits return for Melbourne players.  When they serve up dinky kicks, dinky handballs, litt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FRENZY by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club should hand out an award to the person who came up with the concept of the 20 day football frenzy the football world experienced from Round 9 to the completion of Round 12 on Monday. When the AFL fixture was moved into a state of perpetual motion, things changed so quickly that it was difficult to fathom exactly what was happening to the competition but the Demons have been one of the beneficiaries to date. The flogging the team received at the hands of Port Adel

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...