Round 20 - Non MFC Games.

Dee Zephyr

Observations:

1. There is nothing wrong with the state of the game. The only reason it has been an "issue" this year is that Carlton, St Kilda and the Bulldogs were over-represented in prime time night football in the first half of the year (by my count, 12 games on Thurs/Fri/Sat night in the first half of the year featured at least one of those three sides).
  2. Geelong probably make the finals even if they lose to Hawthorn - they'll thump Fremantle and GC at home and that should mean 13 with a good percentage does it for them.
  3. Richmond are beatable at the G, but you have to play four quarters of excellent football to do it.
  4. We can all get around, in order, Brisbane, Adelaide, Carlton and Fremantle this weekend - no harm to us in any of those sides winning and their opponents are our direct competitors for ladder spots.
  5. I think we want Collingwood to win as it keeps Sydney at bay, but a Sydney win opens up the top 4 again for us (indeed, we'll pass Collingwood if we win tomorrow).
  6. I also think we want Essendon to win. I don't rate Essendon's chances of beating both of Richmond at the G and Port at the AO, which means they can beat Hawthorn and still finish on 13 wins with a weak-ish percentage. If Hawthorn lose today, they're still on 11 with games against Geelong, St Kilda and Sydney to come. They could then struggle to get to 13.
1 hour ago, Nasher said:

By far the most interesting game this week is Sydney vs Collingwood. The 8 gets totally reshape if Sydney win, including Geelong dropping back out, and Collingwood would drop to 6th if GWS, Port and Melbourne win as they should and 7th if Hawthorn win too. If Collingwood win you would have to think Sydney are close to done.

It's ridiculous how tight 3-9 is on the ladder.

I hadn't realised, but Collingwood was in danger of slipping all the way to 9th had Geelong won. Would require each of GWS, Port, Melbourne and Hawthorn to win, and for Sydney to beat them by 50-odd points, but still, it's insane to think that with a month to go the team 3rd on the ladder could drop out of the top 8 within one week.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Geelong played high risk football down the corridor for much of the game and it nearly worked. 

It was a good surprise tactic to which Hardwick didn't respond.  Richmond enjoy getting the opp to play wide and running the ball down the wing.  The cats denied them that.

Geelong playing the corridor won't surprise Hardwick again and any team trying to copy it might just play into the tigers hands.. 

Hardwick did not impress in that last few minutes.

His tactic of packing the backline and leaving no player forward almost cost him the game. Twice the ball went down to the Tigers 50 metre arc. Once because no Richmond player was around there was the deliberate OOB and the other time there were two Geelong players waiting who then ran the ball back down the field.

Even during the last minute when they did get the ball up their end Richmond were relatively unco- ordinated for a top premiership side.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

His tactic of packing the backline and leaving no player forward almost cost him the game. Twice the ball went down to the Tigers 50 metre arc. Once because no Richmond player was around there was the deliberate OOB and the other time there were two Geelong players waiting who then ran the ball back down the field.

Even during the last minute when they did get the ball up their end Richmond were relatively unco- ordinated for a top premiership side.

They are gettable. They'll lose at the G eventually and I reckon it will be in a final this season 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Hardwicks coaching revolves around having a crack and moving it forward and letting the boys play. As a tactical coach, he isn't the best.

• Like 2

A lot of Richmond's knock-ons didn't succeed.  I felt they were over-doing it and should have taken possession a number of times instead.  Was it just bad luck or were Geelong countering it?

7 minutes ago, sue said:

A lot of Richmond's knock-ons didn't succeed.  I felt they were over-doing it and should have taken possession a number of times instead.  Was it just bad luck or were Geelong countering it?

Richmond played too cute when they got on top in the 2nd, they let Geelong back into the game.

If they didn't flirt with their form they would have smashed the Cats.

I reckon Dimma would have been most p....off with this.

35 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

His tactic of packing the backline and leaving no player forward almost cost him the game.

8 minutes ago, sue said:

...but they won and we didn't in a similar type game.

Result on the board says Hardwick's tactic was on the money.

13 hours ago, Demonland said:

I think Bruce is going to propose to Kelly. 

Is bigamy now legal - already married to Cyrrrilll, and also has proposed to Prancer

13 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Bruce: "Geelong are coming, coming, coming!!! Don't you love it!"

Bruce used to be my second favourite commentator after Dennis, but he is now just so appalling ... sounded like it was him not the Cats doing what he said.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sue said:

Maybe over did it but the wet slippery conditions did not help. The knock on is a potent weapon to break down structures and for quick ball movement in their game style. In the wet it it loses its advantage somewhat.

Edited by america de cali

14 minutes ago, sue said:

I find that would be easy to counter attack in a final, just make sure every one on one contest has a back up drop behind it and they cant run it out.

3 hours ago, Nasher said:

By far the most interesting game this week is Sydney vs Collingwood. The 8 gets totally reshape if Sydney win, including Geelong dropping back out, and Collingwood would drop to 6th if GWS, Port and Melbourne win as they should and 7th if Hawthorn win too. If Collingwood win you would have to think Sydney are close to done.

Just hoping Port lose to the Crows - free up a little shelf of space in the eight as it currently stands. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, rjay said:

Richmond played too cute when they got on top in the 2nd, they let Geelong back into the game.

If they didn't flirt with their form they would have smashed the Cats.

I reckon Dimma would have been most p....off with this.

...but they won and we didn't in a similar type game.

Result on the board says Hardwick's tactic was on the money.

Ablett missing an easy shot ( out of character) doesn't validate Hardwick as a coach, as doesn't the after - the - siren loss at Geelong validate or invalidate Goodwin. (or Scott)

What I learnt last night and past couple of weeks, and as quoted by Caroline Wilson this week - " who wouldn't be afraid to meet Melbourne on the G in the finals."

I believe the current line up, plus Hibberd/Vandenburg can do something this year - if we make it.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Is bigamy now legal - already married to Cyrrrilll, and also has proposed to Prancer

Bruce used to be my second favourite commentator after Dennis, but he is now just so appalling ... sounded like it was him not the Cats doing what he said.

He JUST won't shut up.

Sound right down low for me when watching Ch 7. Appalling commentators -BmcV, BT, 'Lingy' shouting comments at me, Darcy/Hammer  toeing party line at all times .  Daisy the only bright light.

Creepy is how my wife describes Bruce.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

He JUST won't shut up.

Sound right down low for me when watching Ch 7. Appalling commentators -BmcV, BT, 'Lingy' shouting comments at me, Darcy/Hammer  toeing party line at all times .  Daisy the only bright light.

Creepy is how my wife describes Bruce.

Creepy he is.  And bloody annoying.

2 minutes ago, sue said:

Creepy he is.  And bloody annoying.

How is he creepy? He's an absolute gentleman with a significant passion for sport, who is also dealing with an ongoing cancer battle. One of the all time great football people. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mondê said:

How is he creepy? He's an absolute gentleman with a significant passion for sport, who is also dealing with an ongoing cancer battle. One of the all time great football people. 

He can be all those things and I can still find him creepy.   But I admit his commentary is much more annoying than creepy.  Perhaps cringeworthy is more appropriate.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sue said:

He can be all those things and I can still find him creepy.   But I admit his commentary is much more annoying than creepy.  Perhaps cringeworthy is more appropriate.

And he always finishes off a sentence with "don't you think," or  "isn't he," or "aye."

Edited by MSFebey

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Remind me please... who do we want to win between Bombers and Hawks and why.

Many thanks

Bombers, because they have the hardest run home and won't win all 4 to get in. If that makes sense? Sets Hawks back.

Edited by MSFebey
  • Like 1