POSTMATCH DISCUSSION - Round 18

Demonland

On 7/21/2018 at 11:28 PM, 000 said:

Melbourne as usual.

I've grown up expecting and having this kind of journey. So I can enjoy this emotion. Feeling numb, a bit dizzy, frustrated and some pain. It's only football and I "got my money's worth". It was a good game though painful entertainment. Better then many past years. A loss is not going to destroy me. I can see us only getting better and hungrier. Another one that hurts the players. One day we will stand up.

Gee we turn feral quickly on this site.

I thought the Geelong supporters were feral. Their hate was mainly to us, but we have self loathing in abundance.
Their booing during the game was just pathetic. Why boo Max? As the commentator said when Max was taken out off the ball, "the crowd arn't happy" as though the penalty should not be paid for that indiscretion because the ferals don't like it. Or, the loud speaker coming on during play so as to gee the crowd up.

Don't become them.

I like that Melbourne supporters are fair, applaud good play no matter which side and are generally amiable even with a heart felt loss like this one. For those expressing hate I hope you recover quickly from your pain. Winning is not everything. Again I like the ride. Maybe because I have no choice as a Dees supporter. I need to enjoy it.

Congratulations to Geelong though they didn't deserve it. Robbed but they got it done and we let it slip.

Post my thoughts and Jaded quotes me out of context. I was trying to rescue some from their pain. Also some of the statements about our players were harsh and IMO uncalled for.

On 7/21/2018 at 11:32 PM, Jaded said:

Wrong game. Wrong forum. Wrong. 

Winning IS everything. It’s because it is everything, that we have been nothing for 5 decades. 

Basically telling me to leave "her" forum.

Oscar was also blocked out of the contest where Tuohy marked. Can't imagine the umps would pay it ever as they would have not got their car keys back to leave the ground.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 11:52 PM, Jaded said:

No, I’m merely suggesting that you’re on the wrong forum if you think anyone agrees with you that winning isn’t everything. 

In life it may not be, but in football, it is. 

If you’re not playing to win, then what the hell are you doing?

My last word on Demonland!

You can do your training observations yourself.

Your not playing, you're a spectator. 

You have imbalanced thoughts and live vicariously through others. 

To claim everyone on Demonland agrees with you is delusional. 

Winning is not everything!

There is nothing wrong with losing nor with being last.

You superior, shallow people, who value inequality. Squash the weak and worship the powerful. You poor people.

I know some agree with me. Only BULLIES isolate others telling them they are by themselves.

I have enough stress in life then to put myself out to you kind of critics. I like a life of freedom, not one where I have to fillter myself in-order to avoid your accusations, no matter how subtle, it is still unkind. 

So I'll stop before you get serious. 

I have seen some cruel statements on Demonland. Get over yourselves.

Thankyou to those who supported my post. I appreciated your kindness.

From kevin martin

Edited by 000
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

No matter what happens, we are hopefully earning valuable lessons. I remember laughing at Richmond last year, how many games did they cough up and choke? Then went on to win a flag. I hope we can learn from these situations. I do think coaching let them down, not two teaming Hawkins all night, no filling the hole (would have cut off delivery), non tagging of Ablett (tagged Danger then he went forward), not flooding the backline. The players played their guts out, I don't blame them for the loss (Petracca and Garlett, JKH).

Edited by MSFebey
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, 000 said:

You superior, shallow people, who value inequality. Squash the weak and worship the powerful. You poor people.

I know some agree with me. Only BULLIES isolate others telling them they are by themselves.

I have enough stress in life then to put myself out to you kind of critics. I like a life of freedom, not one where I have to fillter myself in-order to avoid your accusations, no matter how subtle, it is still unkind. 

From kevin martin

Learn to handle criticism or you will spend your entire life in the foetal position crying.

That was a hysterical over-reaction to Jadeds comments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, 000 said:

From kevin martin

Keep posting Kevin, people are just extra upset, in fact gutted, as many have said, over what we see as inevitable failure after supreme efforts by the team in adverse circumstances.

Murphy’s Law flourishes at the MFC, where something often happens and seemingly only to us, to cause major disappointment.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, ding said:

Learn to handle criticism or you will spend your entire life in the foetal position crying.

That was a hysterical over-reaction to Jadeds comments.

More bullying, I'm not foetal, I'm just not going to belong to your group. I am pretty new to your site and when a long time poster tells me to leave and takes my statements out of context I get the gist. I've read  some of the stuff you throw at each other and am afraid you may head down that way with me. So I jump before it gets worse.  Hysterical over-reaction is based on what may happen not what has happened. Be kind to people. 

• Like 1

After watching the game again, I noticed another thing that helped cause our loss, weak leadership. 

Look who stood up for the Cats, Danger, Ablett, Hawkins and Selwood. When the game needed to be won they stood up and led. 

With us, who of our leaders stood up? Who led the way? Who directed the others? Who took the mark or laid the tackle or made the hard gut run to set the example and/ or create the game winning/ saving piece of the play?

I think our leaders were merely observers. We lack quality leadership. 

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

To be fair Tracc does have 2 players sitting just outside the arc that were hittable with a solid pass, one calling for it.  There was 90 seconds on the clock. Time enough to score again even if he blows that pass and its turned over for a goal.  Sometimes you need to push the envelope a little to win.

Yes the one closest the fifty arc looks the best option as long as the kick was accurate.

4 minutes ago, 000 said:

I'm not a crier, I am a fighter but bullies are best ignored IMO. 

Put them on ignore. There are plenty here that see others point of view, plenty here disagree without resorting to playing the man. And then there are some !!!!   Many of us are gutted after that loss. I tend not to post after a loss because of the negativity. There will be another win, more joy , another loss more heartache but at the end of the day we are all Dees. Don't give up Kev.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

After watching the game again, I noticed another thing that helped cause our loss, weak leadership. 

Look who stood up for the Cats, Danger, Ablett, Hawkins and Selwood. When the game needed to be won they stood up and led. 

With us, who of our leaders stood up? Who led the way? Who directed the others? Who took the mark or laid the tackle or made the hard gut run to set the example and/ or create the game winning/ saving piece of the play?

We don't really...they just haven't fully developed yet.

Our core leaders are now the young guns, Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw along with Max.

They are still young and/or inexperienced but stood up pretty well.

We were also missing 2 other important young leaders in Viney and Lever.

We don't have 3 future hall of famers around the 30yo 200 game experience mark yet.

This is one area I'm not at all concerned with (I am with the defence).

The Tiges lost all the tight games until it clicked for them, now they win 'em.

Cotchin wasn't a leaders boot lace until he was...the same will happen with us.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

We managed to keep Geelong to 20 scoring shots for the game. So our defence was not as bad as you make out despite OMac getting a hiding. Geelong kicked 16.3, with one rushed. You would expect that type of accuracy once per season.

And St Kilda smashed the Tigers in July last year. We are not shot yet. We are seventh and one game outside top 4.

Its mind blowing that you seem to find our performance acceptable. And if you hadn't noticed our defence has been shiite for 2 seasons. Same old. You'd think the coaching staff might do something about that.

But no, Tony is happy with the effort. Go Tony. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Redleg said:

We have had 2 decent on field leaders in 16 years. Neitz and Junior. What an indictment on this club. Leadership was so bad they had to give it to Grimes and Trengove.

Oliver is looking like one with consistent performances. 13 possessions in the 1st qtr despite being heavily tagged by SSelwood.

Viney maybe - love his drive but have strong question marks over his ability to put team first with regard personal injuries. It cruelled Trengove and would hate to see it happen again.

1 hour ago, Stormy Dee said:

Don’t forget that the players don’t know the exact amount of time left. A free could be highly disadvantageous if there’s enough time to go coast to coast and kick a goal down the other end (which is what happened for other reasons).

They would have known there was little time left. We played like we had to score to win rather than kill the ball and soak up time and restructure.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

We have had 2 decent on field leaders in 16 years. Neitz and Junior. What an indictment on this club. Leadership was so bad they had to give it to Grimes and Trengove.

Oliver is looking like one with consistent performances. 13 possessions in the 1st qtr despite being heavily tagged by SSelwood.

Viney maybe - love his drive but have strong question marks over his ability to put team first with regard personal injuries. It cruelled Trengove and would hate to see it happen again.

Lever oozes leadership if we ever keep him on the park, Gawn continually stands up. In fact, I'd go with Gawn as C and Lever as VC next year to freshen things up

47 minutes ago, 000 said:

More bullying, I'm not foetal, I'm just not going to belong to your group. I am pretty new to your site and when a long time poster tells me to leave and takes my statements out of context I get the gist. I've read  some of the stuff you throw at each other and am afraid you may head down that way with me. So I jump before it gets worse.  Hysterical over-reaction is based on what may happen not what has happened. Be kind to people. 

Man, are you thin skinned. Get a grip.

16 minutes ago, america de cali said:

They would have known there was little time left. We played like we had to score to win rather than kill the ball and soak up time and restructure.  

3 minutes or 20 seconds are very different in a game of football in terms of the approach that should be used, according to armchair experts with the benefit of the hindsight retrospect scope. This is very difficult for players to judge without a watch and knowledge of the actual time clock of the game, especially in the hurly burly of the final moments of a close game in front of 30,000 screaming people.

22 minutes ago, Stormy Dee said:

3 minutes or 20 seconds are very different in a game of football in terms of the approach that should be used, according to armchair experts with the benefit of the hindsight retrospect scope. This is very difficult for players to judge without a watch and knowledge of the actual time clock of the game, especially in the hurly burly of the final moments of a close game in front of 30,000 screaming people.

I am talking about the last 25 seconds and not the final 3 minutes when the ball was inside our 50 and a swarm of our players did not try to kill the loose ball for a stopage but were trying to get the ball out or waiting for the release. At one stage Brayshaw picks the ball up and then fires off a short handpass quickly to no one when tackled. He should have swallowed the ball. I doubt he would have been pinged for holding the ball in that pressure situation. It would have been a 60/40 chance for a bounce up and if a free was paid, structures would have been reset  and time would have likely ran out. This was the killer tactical error that allowed Geelong out.

Edited by america de cali