Our best 22 if we make it.

4 hours ago, The Chazz said:

The surprise packet for me is Hannan.  Hasn't he done a terrific job to cement a spot in our 18?

Totally agree, and he's only getting better with confidence. Been a fantastic (and totally unexpected for me) addition. 

I also agree with most people's assessments on Brayshaw, I think forcing his way into the seniors will be a bridge too far for this year. The rest of 2017 should be mainly about him gaining confidence in his abilities and his body again, and also adjusting the way her plays. I really like him, in fact when I first saw him play I thought he could be Jack Viney's future VC (could still be), but if he is able to find some form leading into the finals he would be a cherry on top scenario for me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

If we make finals and Tom McDonald is still playing forward, I'll drop dead.

Once Watts is back, I believe Tom will slot straight back where he belongs at CHB.

And I hope it's this week.

The question will become what is his best position though. Ask me 8 weeks ago I would've said "defence, what are you on crack?" But now....the way he moves,  has been taking marks, and commanding the ball has really reminded me on David Nietz. On top of that his kicking has been getting better and better. 

I don't doubt what you say, he probably will be sent back with Hogan and Watts back in the forward line but we shall see. He looks like he's really enjoying his football there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pates said:

The question will become what is his best position though. Ask me 8 weeks ago I would've said "defence, what are you on crack?" But now....the way he moves,  has been taking marks, and commanding the ball has really reminded me on David Nietz. On top of that his kicking has been getting better and better. 

I don't doubt what you say, he probably will be sent back with Hogan and Watts back in the forward line but we shall see. He looks like he's really enjoying his football there. 

I think he will end up a Harry Taylor type. He will swing forward when the team really needs another tall option. What a great option to have!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mongrel said:

I think he will end up a Harry Taylor type. He will swing forward when the team really needs another tall option. What a great option to have!

Funny that we got in trouble all those years ago because we sent a defender forward. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steve_f said:

Ray Biffen?

very funny,  Biffen was great full back, but a very slow forward, something like a Sherman tank !

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mongrel said:

Having 3 tall forwards on a regular basis never hurts, especially when one runs like a whippet (Watts), one can run all day (McDonald) and one is a potential superstar (Hogan).

The only ones it does hurt are opponents that don't have enough tall defenders to cover them all.

Edited by The Chazz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Go the Biff said:

Both Hogan and Max have a few more runs on the board than Gus. Don't forget why he was at Casey when his unfortunate series of concussions began. He was omitted from the AFL team for reasons of form.

I also hope he gets back quickly to full health and good form but I wouldn't be backing him to reclaim his place just yet. Probably not this year

I remember he was dropped after one good game round one and a poor performance round 2 yet weid was given plenty of chances to prove he wasn't yet ready.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

FB: Jetta Frost Hibberd

HB: Hunt O. McDonald Salem

C: Vince Oliver Lewis

HF: Watts Hogan Petracca

FF: Garlett T. McDonald Hannan

Foll: Gawn Jones Viney

Int: Tyson ANB JKH Melksham

I'm assuming that Brayshaw won't be fit to play.

JKH is a big call off the back of one (perhaps two) decent games in the seniors this year Clint.  Not criticism, but really quite interested in what you have seen that has lead you to this position.

Personally, I've always seen potential in JKH, but he hasn't been able to stay fit enough or maintain enough form to really break out into the team on a regular basis and really fully arrive as a footballer for us yet.

2 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

JKH is a big call off the back of one (perhaps two) decent games in the seniors this year Clint.  Not criticism, but really quite interested in what you have seen that has lead you to this position.

Personally, I've always seen potential in JKH, but he hasn't been able to stay fit enough or maintain enough form to really break out into the team on a regular basis and really fully arrive as a footballer for us yet.

I've rated him for a long time, early this year he did struggle at AFL level but his VFL form showed that he really is more of a midfielder than a forward. Against Adelaide he was clean and lively while a lot of his teammates struggled in the conditions.

We could easily raffle off the last four positions to about 10 players so it will come down to who is in form (and fit) at the right time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

That's a fair point.

If T.McDonald goes back then O. McDonald goes out.

It's getting harder to drop O.Mac with his form of late.  Still clearly not the equivalent of Tom and probably still the weaker option of our key backs, but he is looking better and better every week IMHO.  Positioned really well behind the play to stop what would have been a good 2 or 3 goals going through uncontested last week and heven is looking surer in his ball handling and marking.  Still probably a bit dificient one on one at the moment though 

Just now, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

It's getting harder to drop O.Mac with his form of late.  Still clearly not the equivalent of Tom and probably still the weaker option of our key backs, but he is looking better and better every week IMHO.  Positioned really well behind the play to stop what would have been a good 2 or 3 goals going through uncontested last week and heven is looking surer in his ball handling and marking.  Still probably a bit dificient one on one at the moment though 

O. McDonald can make the difficult things look easy, but at the same time make the easy things look difficult.

As others have mentioned, his lack of intensity is a worry and I still believe he needs to learn to use his body in spoiling situations. As a team for a long time now we struggle against tall forwards such as Daniher, Ben Brown and Petrie.  These are are the types of forwards that we need O. McDonald to play on and beat.

• Like 2

On 19/07/2017 at 6:45 PM, DaveyJones'sLocker said:

I remember he [Gus] was dropped after one good game round one and a poor performance round 2 yet weid was given plenty of chances to prove he wasn't yet ready.

DJL - Gus and Weid were looking at very different roles, so there is no comparison.  Goodwin makes it very clear that he requires players to fulfil a role, and I doubt if he looks at the raw stats that us peasants are fed.

But I am happy given the thread title to have a go at our best 22

JETTA     OMCD   HIBBERD

SALEM  FROST   HUNT

BRAYSHAW  OLIVER  TYSON

HANNAN HOGAN WATTS

GARLETT   TMCD  PETRACCA

GAWN   VINEY   JONES

LEWIS  ANB   TRENGOVE  HARMES

JKH VINCE STRETCH

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 2