Demonland 139 d. Saintsational 100

The Red Fox

Demonland 6.1 9.4 15.4 22.7.139

Saintsational 1.3 4.9 8.12 14.16.100

Goals: Cactus 7, Scotty 4, Hards, 3, Freak 3, Melbournefc 3, Diesel 1, Wise Monkey 1

Perfect conditions for football, and sun tanning. Unlike last year (where no Dees fans turned out in support) we had more supporters than players. And by kick off at 2:30 there were only 14 lads kitted up and ready to play. I'm not sure what happened to the ten or so no shows who were listed to play, but rest assured I will personally ban them from the forum till the new year!

After some frantic phone calls, we managed to field a 16 man side, and opened up the first quarter with a rush of goals. Some would say it was an even spread of contributors around the ground, but others might say it was an inspirational pre-match speech which got us off to such a flying start.

The first term went for what seemed like an hour, and come quarter time, we were all feeling the pinch. Except of course for 'imtoohot' who ran all day and put in many second, third and fourth efforts. 'Jim-Bob' responded well to the humiliation of being used as a step-ladder by barks4eva (who then failed ot convert from 15m) and offered us great drive from the backline in the first term. He was later concussed in the final term, but nursed back to health in the goal square by his loving wife - who also double teamed his man when required.

In the second term we kicked into the wind, and kept Saintsational at bay. 'Freak' moved onto the ball and aside from giving us great drive, kicked a couple of majors. His tackle on (the untouchable) Saints player called 'Onur' was a highlight - more than we can say for his goal kicking last year. It'd been a well contested first half, but sadly lacked the spite of February's contest. Some Demons fans on the sideline were calling for blood (probably because they were my friends and I'd promised it) and despite my best efforts at starting a melee, all I'd managed to do was concede several free kicks.

For the second half we were aided by two boom recruits... Scotty's little bro and his mate. They took the field and brought our numbers up to 18 - which was more than their collective age. Inspired by the promise of after match beer, these two boys patrolled the backline - like those meercats on TV - repelling most of Saintsational's forward thrusts. The backline was (for want of a better word) sensational not just in the third quarter, but all day. Often the unsung heroes in a team - today was no different.

Three quarter time was upon us, and those who played last time remembered the (universally ignored) speech about not giving up a big lead in the last - which history shows we did. 'Hards' gave the speech last year, so I took it upon myself to motivate the troops this time around. Fortunately I actually listened to 'Hards' last year, and repeated his speech verbatim. For some bloody reason... it worked! Oddly enough, it had the biggest effect on 'Hards' himself. Unsighted for much of the match, he drilled three of the easiest best goals in the last. We booted the first few, iced the game, and waltzed to an impressive 39 point win.

At the after match BBQ, Saintsational players would bemoan the late withdrawal of several key players, but given we had ten no shows (including the much lauded Chook's) there was reason to suggest we could have been a lot better too. And we will have to be when we enjoy a re-match in late Jan or early Feb. Saintational will be out for revenge, and if they can (like St Kilda itself) find an adequate ruck man, we will have to work hard to retain coveted 'The Big Carl' Cup.

Thanks to all the Demonlanders who came down for a run, and to the others who filled in - with little notice. Many thanks also to Rollinson and the likes who volunteered their time and a couple of slabs of beer, which went down nicely - particularly when drunk out of 'Big Carl'. Thank you to Sainistaional for providing a great match, and even better post match BBQ. And finally thanks to the many fans who turned out in fine voice and colour, and cheered us onto a memorable victory.

A wonderful day...

IPB Image

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good report Wise one. Sorry to my team mates that I had to nick off as soon as we finished but the late start stuffed me up. Sorry also for running under a couple of passes and spilling some sitters!

I was impressed by the way we ran it out in warm conditions. How good with a pre-season? :D

Great report Wise, and nice work by Rollo to keep track of the goalkickers, especially after Cactus' burst in the third. Have to love a game where there's 13 goals in the last quarter because everyone's buggered :D

I have to acknowledge Wise's attempts at providing the spilt blood that he promised - not only did he conceed numerous free kicks, he told one defender to "Get a skirt and go play netball" and even threw out an aftermatch jibe about St.Kilda's losing culture.

Some of your best work WM!

great match report, wise, and great pics !!

full list: wise monkey, the stynes factor, oxxx, james (wise's mate), imtoohot, cribbes, tom(robbo's mate), hards, robbo24, cactus, freak, diesel, melbournefc, doggo24...

sorry, I've missed some late arrivals...

feel free to post them here...

and thanks to the helpers: undeeniable, lexl, deeviator, hards' dad, legend87, freak's dad...

a good day...

well done fellas!! can we get some names on those pics?

well ill start with who i know....

i am lying on the ground with the trophy on my stomach and above my head is scotty.

next to him is his little bro, then hards, freak and scotts little bro's mate.

above hards is doggo and next to him where you can see a little of his fluro jumper is diesel i think.

its starting to get very complicated so ill let everyone else say who they are.

whos the huge looking islander on the bottom left?

Ah he was a mate of Oxx's, who came along to help with the numbers in the second half. A really nice bloke. He's got a background in Rugby Union and would have blitzed today had he possessed any idea of the rules!

It's Oxx's job to get him up to speed on the rules by the new year, cause aside from his obvious size, he's got decent skills and a good engine. Best yet though, no Saint went near him! I wonder if it was the leather gloves he was wearing?