VFL GRAND FINAL - CASEY SCORPIONS v FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS

spirit of norm smith

5 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I said that an hour ago and got shouted down by everyone because Casey were in front. 

People talk about having faith in the FD. Whoever made the decissions to give Garland a 3 year deal and Spencer a year extension, have no idea of what makes an AFL footbller.

Spencer wasn't given an extension on his ability, he was given one out of necessity, if Gawn was to go down.

Neither of the Kings were and are not ready.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

Fair Dinkum.......I have never heard so much whinging and wining from posters of this site

They have sacked half the team........Made calls on players playing in a bloody Grand Final which they lost by 30 odd points to a very good side all through the year

The amount of vitrol for the MFC listed players is embarassing.   If they are that bad....Go support someone else

The same said posters were adulating the team in our two other finals wins

A week is a long time in football.

The bulldog played some terrific footy.......We had an off quarter which cost us dearly.

See you next year???

You mustn't be an avid reader of match day threads     

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Django said:

Not so sure I'll be cheering for them on Saturday anymore.

I never was. They sure do have some 'special' supporters and way too may players getting around with a strut. Hope the Swans pulverise them. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Clintosaurus said:

I never was. They sure do have some 'special' supporters and way too may players getting around with a strut. Hope the Swans pulverise them. 

I was going to be all around them, love an underdog and the our trajectory has been compared to theirs. But no longer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Django said:

That was hard enough to watch.

I don't know how I'd ever handle the Dees losing a grand final. I think I'd need to be committed.

You were not around in '88?

i was "made" to watch it with 4 workmates up until the Cup was paraded around the ground

Never forgotten that day. They will pay before i die. 

• Like 2

Awful 3rd quarter and beaten all day. But really Dogs had more to play for, were playing at a ground that's the home ground for their senior players, had the bigger more vocal crowd and have young exciting talent. 

Why should Dunn, Garland, Grimes, Spencer, Michie, Terlich, Newton, Trengove or Matt Jones step up and deliver in a big game?

They never have in their AFL careers and most of them have little to play for.

Michie, Terlich, Newton and Matt Jones will surely be delisted, probably in the next week. Grimes won't be offered a new deal either. One of Dunn or Garland gets traded. Trengove is getting another year just based on being a good bloke and Spencer is getting another year because we are stupid.

Some of the Casey players had a crack, but due to lack of injuries they weren't exposed all that much during the year and so really the only guys who were regular performers were Keilty, Hutchins and Smith. All had a decent crack but they weren't in the midfield when the game was hot.

Oliver was BOG. Weids did his job although he needs to just clunk a few more marks,should've snapped and goal the 2 shots from tight angles IMO. Hulett looked like a young player tiring at the end of a year but offered a bit. ANB and Ben Kennedy were poor but did find the ball. Joel Smith was hot and cold.

The Dogs had 2 experienced ruckmen and young up and coming players on all lines. They had guys pushing for a chance of an AFL grand final. They had a true leaders from their VFL list. 

Get rid of the list cloggers and get some more young talent in the Casey side and hopefully find some more talented experienced VFL players if they lose guys to the AFL and Casey can push forward from here. Still a good year from Casey, but a year built on too many guys who aren't the future.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Beetle said:

Spencer wasn't given an extension on his ability, he was given one out of necessity, if Gawn was to go down.

Neither of the Kings were and are not ready.

What's the point of keeping someone on the list that is borderline VFL standard, and clearly not AFL standard? There's got to be dozens of mature aged ruckmen in the country that have a better skillset than Spencer.

Edited by mo64

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You were not around in '88?

i was "made" to watch it with 4 workmates up until the Cup was paraded around the ground

Never forgotten that day. They will pay before i die. 

Nope. Was obviously around for 2000 but not old enough to be as passionate or committed as I am now.

39 minutes ago, Webber said:

Oliver, Weideman (although he needs to get a lot stronger and fitter) and Joel Smith. That's the only promise out there from today's game as far as I can see. Anyone else? 

Hulett has a bit of spark. I'd love to see him play centre half back. He has a penetrating and accurate kick that can be useful.

Keilty and Tim Smith are more promising than the rest of our AFL players. Ben Kennedy and ANB both have something to offer but are a long way off. I'd love to see Ben Newton with an AFL tank and work rate, he has a lovely kick on him but there's just no sign that it's going to come.

Wow. That Doggies list is just full of classy, fast midfielders and half backs.

Given footy is won and lost in the middle i find it staggering that, with such a one-paced midfield and only one zippy half back, we would load up on talls last year in Weed, Hulett and that beanpole ruckman King. Zippy, classy mids, mids, mids, half backs and more mids please.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

Wow. That Doggies list is just full of classy, fast midfielders and half backs.

Given footy is won and lost in the middle i find it staggering that, with such a one-paced midfield and only one zippy half back, we would load up on talls last year in Weed, Hulett and that beanpole ruckman King. Zippy, classy mids, mids, mids, half backs and more mids please.

We needed all the talls as well and the earlier you get them the better, but certainly it's time now to start drafting more players who can win the ball, run, use the ball and pressure. 

It's interesting that the Dogs senior side isn't really stacked with superb ball users - there's a few quality ones particularly Bont - but mainly it's a lot of contested ball winners who have been trained to play with run and skills (particularly by hand). I wonder if we draft some quick and skillful kids if we'll get benefit just from the push along from a raise in skills at training even if those guys don't immediately break in to the side.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Django said:

Nope. Was obviously around for 2000 but not old enough to be as passionate or committed as I am now.

You are a lucky man Unchained

The memory does not go away..It hurts 

Mentally The MFC has got to become stronger and Ruthless. 

There is no way our list is even close to Footscray right now. 

Their effort last night to come back from 14 points down in that last quarter was just sublime. 

They absolutely refused to give up. 

The MFC has not had that attitude  since Neil Crompton in 1964

Edited by Sir Why You Little

34 minutes ago, Django said:

That was hard enough to watch.

I don't know how I'd ever handle the Dees losing a grand final. I think I'd need to be committed.

wasn't that hard..... pretty well out of both grand finals by quarter time and definitely by half time. (Never have watched either game.) If I recall correctly our 2000 score broke our 1988 record for the largest losing margin in a grand final

The 2000 team was actually pretty good but we could never snag the big one

Edited by Diamond_Jim

56 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

How did we beat this mob 2 weeks ago?

This is the point.

We thought that they'd play the same as they did 2 weeks ago, and that we'd just motor over them again. 

But they didn't. The Dogs don't do that. They're a club where, if you beat them once, they work out how you did it and stop you doing it next time.

We didn't prepare for "what if they nullify our clearances?" "What if they neutralise ANB?" "What if they stop us running the ball down the ground?" But with a moment's thought, that's what they were going to do. Again, the Dogs are that sort of club, at AFL and VFL level. They'll find a way to beat the Swans next week.

Oh, and the players? This is the first time this season that the Scorps would have been exposed to AFL-level intensity. And yes, one quarter found a lot of them out - they're simply not up to it. None of these fringe players we've picked up from other clubs are up to AFL level - Newton, BenKen, MIchie. I like them all and wish they could do better, but there's no point in hanging on to them. They haven't improved since when they came to us.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mo64 said:

What's the point of keeping someone on the list that is borderline VFL standard, and clearly not AFL standard? There's got to be dozens of mature aged ruckmen in the country that have a better skillset than Spencer.

Because until he can be replaced by a better option he stays. I am sure we will be looking for a ruckman/forward somewhere. Hopefully Mitch King will be an option.

6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

We needed all the talls as well and the earlier you get them the better, but certainly it's time now to start drafting more players who can win the ball, run, use the ball and pressure. 

It's interesting that the Dogs senior side isn't really stacked with superb ball users - there's a few quality ones particularly Bont - but mainly it's a lot of contested ball winners who have been trained to play with run and skills (particularly by hand). I wonder if we draft some quick and skillful kids if we'll get benefit just from the push along from a raise in skills at training even if those guys don't immediately break in to the side.

Spot on DS. Aside from Bont, if you included one or two of their onballers in our team, they wouldn't make a huge impact on our W/L column. It's how they're coached and how they operate as a team which makes the difference. It's also their mindset during the game that we should be envious of.

• Like 1