Saturday Talking Point: Game Day 27/2/16

Whispering_Jack

2 hours ago, Middymalt said:

Did we play freo first up last year very similar 

We did and were within single figures with 5 mins to go  FFS some of you people need to have a good look at yourselves  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Matt Jones was a bit of a surprise 

Agreed.  Pleasantly surprised also.  He scraped into my best 5 along with Kent who hit the Port players really hard.  Coaches would have loved his game. 

FWIW - no surprises with top 3 - Viney, Gawn & Vander.  Watts unlucky to miss

• Like 2

Hats off Ben Kennedy, showed that he's not just VFL depth in that 2nd half. He'll be best 22 if he can reproduce that effort every week. Vanders and Viney were unreal. Umpiring was outrageously biased towards us for a change, almost felt guilty a few times. The rotation disparity played a factor in our 2nd half undoubtedly, I'll be interested to see how the team runs it out with fewer interchanges. 

• Like 3

What a pathetic bunch of teal coloured scum.

• Like 4

Winning is much better than losing,

the players attitutude got a belting at half time

winning away from home

don't let it scare you ever again Demons

practise winning and it become expected. 

Yes Satyr Winning is IMPORTANT to this club 

All Games

if you don't have that attitude do not ever speak to another employee again...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

Hats off Ben Kennedy, showed that he's not just VFL depth in that 2nd half. He'll be best 22 if he can reproduce that effort every week. Vanders and Viney were unreal. Umpiring was outrageously biased towards us for a change, almost felt guilty a few times. The rotation disparity played a factor in our 2nd half undoubtedly, I'll be interested to see how the team runs it out with fewer interchanges. 

The umps missed about 10 for big Max. Should be shot.

I said last season Gawn wouldn't make it unless he improved his tank. Well, he ran that game out well. If he can do that consistently, he'll be an A grader. He's so dominant.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

Clayton Oliver looked the goods. He tackled like he was a man playing against 18 year olds, not the other way round. I think a GIF needs to be made of that tackle the umpires wrongly paid a free against.

What ? The umpires have made no secret that they are going to come down heavily on slinging. It was slinging and dangerous. As I said in the Oliver thread, he does this tackle in his highlights. 

He looked so good and very comfortable  - just needs to keep tackling but improve the technique. If you sling like he did, you are risking suspension.

Of course thrilled with a win ( any win lol ) an away win.  More that we played ourselves back into it. That we kicked fairly straight and maybe we have a game plan the lads can execute.

Shame about the Angus, some good debuts for newbies (to us )

Good blowing off of cobwebs.

Go Dees , let's go maul some pups !

All in all much better than losing. Just NAB but I'll take it.

Bodes well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Winning is much better than losing,

the players attitutude got a belting at half time

winning away from home

don't let it scare you ever again Demons

practise winning and it become expected. 

Yes Satyr Winning is IMPORTANT to this club 

All Games

if you don't have that attitude do not ever speak to another employee again...

We are not far enough evolved to be able turn on form at will like a Hawthorn. As Dunstall said, we need to get used to winning. spot on - we need to expect to win be it a training drill, a practice match or the real season. 

• Like 2

We deserved to get the rub of the green from the umps after that ridiculous deliberate OOB decision against TMac.

Super impressed by Kennedy after half time and I seriously think vandenBerg is one of our best recruits in years. 

Not getting carried away with a game worth 0 Premiership points but our squad is starting to shape up nicely. Depth has improved to the point where the likes of Terlich and M.Jones (and Bail in previous years) won't be getting regular games. Heck, even Jones was pretty good today!

• Like 1

Nice to wake up overseas and see that we won. When I checked at 5am we were losing and Brayshaw apparently did an ACL, so it's a lovely turnaround. 

For those who watched it, can you see a noticeable change in our game plan? How was Hogan? And is it worth watching the replay? 

22 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

We did and were within single figures with 5 mins to go  FFS some of you people need to have a good look at yourselves  

So do you we played well against freo first up loose the anger hero

5 minutes ago, nutbean said:

We are not far enough evolved to be able turn on form at will like a Hawthorn. As Dunstall said, we need to get used to winning. spot on - we need to expect to win be it a training drill, a practice match or the real season. 

Exactly. I am sick of supporters of this club accepting a loss saying it is not important. 

For US every game is important. 

Tomorrow we will sell more memberships because of this result. 

I hope it was Goodwin who fired up the side at half time...

next week we plan to win again...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

Nice to wake up overseas and see that we won. When I checked at 5am we were losing and Brayshaw apparently did an ACL, so it's a lovely turnaround. 

For those who watched it, can you see a noticeable change in our game plan? How was Hogan? And is it worth watching the replay? 

Watch the 2nd half, particularly the 3Q. 

Not a lot of change. Maybe a bit more zone and attacking defending. Faster ball use. Hard to tell without being at the ground. Hogan looked like he was in first or second gear, but still showed his class at times.

• Like 1

My Best, Gawn, Watts, Viney,Garlett Vander thing, Kennedy, Tyson  and really super impressed with Oliver today!  

One other thing 

Jimmy Toumpas, after a reasonable first quarter he went miising Big Time in typical Front Runner Misere fashion which was common occurance in his time with us!  Absolutely no loss and we picked up Ben Kennedy who had a ripper game! As the guy at the sideshow would say Winner Winner Winner!!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaded said:

Hi Jaded, I'd watch it if I were you especially the second half. Noticeable changes to our play were how quickly & efficiently we moved the ball between the arcs. We also pressured Port into making many errors through forward line pressure. Two quite large changes to our previous style of play in my opinion. Some of the new recruits really added to our play & look to fit in. The other aspect of the play that was pleasing was the Ruck & clearance work, we completely dominated them in this area.

• Like 1