WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CLAYTON OLIVER

Freddy Fuschia

He played for Richmond against Box Hill and had 6 kicks, 10 handballs, 5 marks and kicked a behind.

Against Williamstown he had 4 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 marks and 4 tackles. He was also named in Richmond's best for the day.

Whilst the stats seem underwhelming, im pretty sure both were for around 60% game time, playing more of a forward flank role. I think hes got the goods, just hope he can translate it to afl level.

My concern with Parish was his size. This is the same concern that the recruiters had.

If you don't weigh more than 80kg then you will get bowled over in the midfield.

Top 10 Mids need to come into AFL and have an impact from day one. i.e Brayshaw.

Oliver will stand in the centre square in round 1 and will match it with the best.

After Jones, Vince, Viney and Tyson we are still looking to integrate Brayshaw and Vanderburg into The midfield more. The. We have to consider that there may very well be cameos with Petracca and Garlett. I'd be more than a little surprised if he got many midfield minutes early days unless he has a massive preseason and somehow overtakes some of those names.
  • Like 2

After Jones, Vince, Viney and Tyson we are still looking to integrate Brayshaw and Vanderburg into The midfield more. The. We have to consider that there may very well be cameos with Petracca and Garlett. I'd be more than a little surprised if he got many midfield minutes early days unless he has a massive preseason and somehow overtakes some of those names.

He will likely start as a high half forward and have a few minutes per quarter in the midfiled.

He can mark overhead and kick goals. That's a massive asset. Could be a Jake Stringer type

Whilst the stats seem underwhelming, im pretty sure both were for around 60% game time, playing more of a forward flank role. I think hes got the goods, just hope he can translate it to afl level.

He played for Richmond against Box Hill and had 6 kicks, 10 handballs, 5 marks and kicked a behind.

That's amazing considering he didn't have a pre season, is 17 yo and has never played with that squad before.

Against Williamstown he had 4 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 marks and 4 tackles. He was also named in Richmond's best for the day.

How many TAC cup player could do that?

What it shows is that he is good enough for VFL at 17 without a preseason.

Makes this even more impressive if he only had 60% game time with no pre season.

Couldn't care less re: lack of media/social media training. That will come in due course.

Couldn't care less about the views on his weight. He's already addressed the need to strip fitter in prep for combine which led to outstanding results and a noticeably fitter Clay.

See ball get ball and what he has shown to do (dispose effectively, mark and kick goals) is what matters. The extra professionalism in club land will keep improving Clay.

I'm as bullish about him, as he is a raging bull.

• Like 1

Haha.

Can I just say it was a pleasure to have the top 10 lined up and for once not see the smallest little fella in a Dees jumper...

I am always going to be interested in what Darcy Parish might be but I am very excited by what Clayton Oliver is.

On Darcy parish the Lochy witfield comparisons on fox last night had me hoping we would pass.

That's amazing considering he didn't have a pre season, is 17 yo and has never played with that squad before.

How many TAC cup player could do that?

What it shows is that he is good enough for VFL at 17 without a preseason.

Jimmy Toumpas played the last part of the 2011 in the SANFL and played in the Woodville/West Torrens premiership side in only his 5th game and I recall the same things being said about him.

Having said that the biggest two changes at the club since Toumpas' drafting is the emphasis on developing junior talent from day one and Roos stated policy of zero expectations on 1st year players. If there is talent and upside in these draftees I have faith that the structures now in place will bring it to the fore.

• Like 1

you just ruined it Nut !! lol

Luckily Brick already has meat and his hips are fine I believe ^_^

edit..VFL > SANFL also

Edited by beelzebub

The bolter narrative is ridiculous. From those who watch TAC he's been well in the first round calculations for a large part of the year and just kept getting better and better. Then turned up to draft camp looking like an AFL footballer (or an 18 year old one).

100% agree. The fact that he had a brilliant second half of the season, played solid VFL games and did well at the combine might have keen factors in deciding to make him our target but that is very different from him being a 'bolter'.

I have little doubt the club has had Chunk jnr on their radar for the last two years given the directive from Roos as to what sort of player he wanted them to recruit with our first (and subsequent) pick; ie a physically strong, competitive, see ball get ball beast. I could also imagine Roosy saying it would be nice if that player is a good chance to be AFL ready come round 1 next year. Cj ticks all those boxes.

100% agree. The fact that he had a brilliant second half of the season, played solid VFL games and did well at the combine might have keen factors in deciding to make him our target but that is very different from him being a 'bolter'.

I have little doubt the club has had Chunk jnr on their radar for the last two years given the directive from Roos as to what sort of player he wanted them to recruit with our first (and subsequent) pick; ie a physically strong, competitive, see ball get ball beast. I could also imagine Roosy saying it would be nice if that player is a good chance to be AFL ready come round 1 next year. Cj ticks all those boxes.

Taylor did state that he's been on the radar for a while, but also mentioned that he wasn't in our top 30 prospects coming into this season.

Anyway, clearly he's shown enough to warrant his selection, and I look forward to seeing him attack the preseason looking to earn a spot in round one.

you just ruined it Nut !! lol

Luckily Brick already has meat and his hips are fine I believe ^_^

edit..VFL > SANFL also

After years of seeing Draftees fail I am definitely in the "Old Dee" camp of keeping my powder dry until I see some performances from these youngsters that merits confidence that we have picked some bona fide "guns".

I will repeat - in my years of supporting I am now a believer that the club is the best placed I have seen in terms of development coaching to get the most out of the kids we draft.

Jimmy Toumpas played the last part of the 2011 in the SANFL and played in the Woodville/West Torrens premiership side in only his 5th game and I recall the same things being said about him.

Having said that the biggest two changes at the club since Toumpas' drafting is the emphasis on developing junior talent from day one and Roos stated policy of zero expectations on 1st year players. If there is talent and upside in these draftees I have faith that the structures now in place will bring it to the fore.

OK, this is about the 10th time in the last day I have read somebody use the example of Jimmy Toumpas to nullify any point that is being made about young guns and the draft. We all KNOW for a fact that the top 10 of the draft yields the most AFL superstars. It just does. SOME of them are complete duds like Toumpas and Morton etc BUT it is more LIKELY that a top10 pick will end up being good. The existence of Jimmy Toumpas has precisely ZERO to do with Clayton Oliver.

• Like 2

keeping my powder dry until I see some performances from these youngsters that merits confidence that we have picked some bona fide "guns".

are you saying this hasn't been demonstrated by Brayshaw, Salem, Hogan, Viney and Tyson? and to a lesser extent Harmes, Kent, Stretch and ANB?

Every year a skinny classy kid goes year and doesn't live up to the hype

O Rourke/Whitfield/Aish/Toumpas/Scully ect

Looks good on paper however these players don't win you games

I remember reading somewhere that of inside mids something like 83% of the top endeds end up being quality players and with key forwards, and outside mids the % is more like 30-40

Lots of good junior footballers who get drafted, never make it because some are just too lazy. They think that after getting drafted to an AFL list, their talent is enough to win them a spot on the AFL team. Clayton Oliver on the other hand has worked hard at getting his body ready for the combine after playing a season of underage football little overweight. He was made aware of the fact that he was overweight and he took it upon himself to do something about it. Players like Blease, Morton, Gysbert and Sylvia did nothing and hoped that their talent was enough.

• Like 4

The first thing he needs to do is start calling himself Clay. It's much better than Clayton.

Article in the 'Hun today said his nickname at the Bushrangers was 'Clarry' - apparently a coach got his name wrong or something - and that's what he calls himself on his Instagram account.

I like it. Sounds very oldschool, like someone who might have played with us in our heyday.

• Like 3

Article in the 'Hun today said his nickname at the Bushrangers was 'Clarry' - apparently a coach got his name wrong or something - and that's what he calls himself on his Instagram account.

I like it. Sounds very oldschool, like someone who might have played with us in our heyday.

Yep, perfect nickname

Welcome to the M.F.C Clarry Oliver

• Like 1