Changes vs Essendon

titan_uranus

Baguley out is huge, he was their #1 option to take Jeffy.

Not liking the weather conditions though... a heavy track is not what we want coming back from Darwin.

We will still slaughter the scum.

I reckon Fitzy's papers might have been stamped.

If so, it will be the first time we've had a visual on-field representation of the precise moment of stamping since Morton's midfield blunder in the corresponding match a few years back. But I'm not so sure. After working his way into the team, he was injured against the Pies and unavailable for the Saints, and prior to that was moved forward against the Power after doing alright and probably surprised us all down back in his first match against the Dogs. He's since been in the bests or best on for Casey.

I think we all have the perception that his move down back by Roos was a last-ditch attempt to salvage a career, but it may be more a simple needs-based part of his and our team's development. If Howe buggers off (and I think we know/think he will) then Fitzy becomes our floating defensive coverage option for second-up spoiling and intercept marks - with the ability to swing forward or pinch in the ruck. Essentially what I imagine we're also looking to do with Frost.

He strikes me as a confidence player and I feel should be given a decent run at it in the seniors - starting this week on Joe.

• Like 4

Ugh, all the media focus on Essendon tonight is making me very concerned. I reckon they'll come out breathing fire on Saturday, and the wet weather will make kicking accuracy a huge challenge for us. Not to mention coming off the Darwin heat; the players completely ran out of gas in the fourth.

I reckon we missed the absolutely ripe moment to play the Bombers; right off the back of a Hawks loss they were expected to lose anyway, so no media spotlight nor pressure on Hird or the players. Don't forget the Saints put on immense pressure to get the Bombers demoralised. They were harassing and tackling with intent the entire day long. The media are highlighting all the problems with Hird's player selection and gameplan, giving them every chance to correct their mistakes against us. They'll be desperate for the win, especially when losing to us is, rightly or wrongly, still viewed as the most embarrassing loss imaginable. The Bombers would be patently aware of what happens when you don't turn up against the Dees and will be drilling that into players now. They'll likely make wholesale changes to their team and play lots of kids with hunger (Laverde).

We need to be switched on from minute one, because the only way we replicate the Saints' impressive win is if Hird has actually lost the players. I'm not fully convinced this is the case, so I expect they'll have a renewed passion this weekend to make amends.

Given what we've seen in the last few years, I don't think Hird takes any notice of what the media says. He's clearly a driven man with incredible levels of self-belief. Some would say it's strength of character, others will say its delusion.

• Like 1

Would be a good in if he is right on a heavy track as would Michie if you think back to the Richmond game, haven't seen Harmes outside of training so can't comment on him although stats would point to him being the sort of player who would relish the conditions

• Like 3

Would be a good in if he is right on a heavy track as would Michie if you think back to the Richmond game, haven't seen Harmes outside of training so can't comment on him although stats would point to him being the sort of player who would relish the conditions

Well he did his hammy on June 8th vs the Pies, so it should be 100% now. Come the Essendon game it will be almost 5 weeks since he hurt it. Guess its just a question of match fitness, but if thats the case make him the sub and he can come in to the game and smash some Essendope heads.

• Like 2

Ugh, all the media focus on Essendon tonight is making me very concerned. I reckon they'll come out breathing fire on Saturday, and the wet weather will make kicking accuracy a huge challenge for us. Not to mention coming off the Darwin heat; the players completely ran out of gas in the fourth.

I reckon we missed the absolutely ripe moment to play the Bombers; right off the back of a Hawks loss they were expected to lose anyway, so no media spotlight nor pressure on Hird or the players. Don't forget the Saints put on immense pressure to get the Bombers demoralised. They were harassing and tackling with intent the entire day long. The media are highlighting all the problems with Hird's player selection and gameplan, giving them every chance to correct their mistakes against us. They'll be desperate for the win, especially when losing to us is, rightly or wrongly, still viewed as the most embarrassing loss imaginable. The Bombers would be patently aware of what happens when you don't turn up against the Dees and will be drilling that into players now. They'll likely make wholesale changes to their team and play lots of kids with hunger (Laverde).

We need to be switched on from minute one, because the only way we replicate the Saints' impressive win is if Hird has actually lost the players. I'm not fully convinced this is the case, so I expect they'll have a renewed passion this weekend to make amends.

Explain how we can run out of gas when "Guru" Misson is in charge of fitness? That plus paleo mean we should be jumping out of our skins!

To suggest that perhaps we are not fit enough to run out a game is disturbing!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

Explain how we can run out of gas when "Guru" Misson is in charge of fitness? That plus paleo mean we should be jumping out of our skins!

I'd hope the club reviews the paleo diet at the end of the season. I'm yet to see a radical improvement in our stamina versus last year's season.

If the wheels fall off again after the bye like last year, questions definitely need to be asked. A loss to Essendon will probably have the pitchforks out.

Baguley out is huge, he was their #1 option to take Jeffy.

Not liking the weather conditions though... a heavy track is not what we want coming back from Darwin.

We will still slaughter the scum.

The Bombers fans on BF seem to think he should appeal and get the charge down to "reckless" (fine rather than suspension). We'll find out today if he accepts the penalty.

Either way, going up against teams with key injuries never gives me comfort; should've learned that lesson after the Saints game last year. We were monties because of all their key outs yet we lost. Similarly, in the reversed situation we played a very undermanned side against Geelong and pulled off the win. Besides all that, we'll never truly improve as a team until we're beating the best teams with their best players all in. A victory against witches hats is a hollow one.

The Bombers fans on BF seem to think he should appeal and get the charge down to "reckless" (fine rather than suspension). We'll find out today if he accepts the penalty.

Either way, going up against teams with key injuries never gives me comfort; should've learned that lesson after the Saints game last year. We were monties because of all their key outs yet we lost. Similarly, in the reversed situation we played a very undermanned side against Geelong and pulled off the win. Besides all that, we'll never truly improve as a team until we're beating the best teams with their best players all in. A victory against witches hats is a hollow one.

....which I will take with both hands!

• Like 1

A victory against witches hats is a hollow one.

No such thing as a hollow victory when you are the Demons. Ill take any win that comes and Ill bloody love every one of them.

Given what we've seen in the last few years, I don't think Hird takes any notice of what the media says. He's clearly a driven man with incredible levels of self-belief. Some would say it's strength of character, others will say its delusion.

Even more would say its narcissism

Even more would say its narcissism

Putting it a little less subtle, I would say he has an extremely high opinion of himself and his place in the universe!

• Like 1

Expect the Bombers to come out really hard from the first bounce, I would really like to see Vanders back as he's one that's always up for a fight.

People in the media are saying its a must win for the Bombers but I reckon it's almo as much of a must win for us, their down on confidence, mentally shot, and coming off a 100+ slaughter. To lose this would have us taking another backward step.

I really hope Gus is good to go for this one, it's the perfect game for him.

• Like 3

Or arrogance...

Your right PF I have been saying the same

We are now here fit enough yet

Always the same - I too think that we must just play against who they put up against us, with the cattle we have available, and go for it regardless.

Putting it a little less subtle, I would say he has an extremely high opinion of himself and his place in the universe!

God is his offsider, he thinks.

Dont care if he plays, Garlett will carve him up anyway. Hes not that good, hes just the best option they've got.

Baguley is as good as any lock down small defender in the league.

As I said, just play and beat whoever they put out there.

Just do it √

Edited by monoccular

The press just never get things right, never give MFC credit where it is due.

alf.com say he "injured his neck while attempting to tackle Wellingham" - attempting to tackle FCS!!!! Fiercely / brutally tackling more to the point.

:unsure:

• Like 2