Delistings/trades at end of the season

Just throwing some names around this is what I see as the core 2016 team at this stage.

FB: Jetta Frost Dunn

HB: XXX T. McDonald Salem

C: Vince vandenBerg Viney

HF: Watts XXX Kent

FF: Garlett Hogan XXX

Foll: Gawn N. Jones Tyson

Int: Petracca Brayshaw Cross XXX

Depth: Lumumba, Dawes, Trengove, Toumpas, JKH, ANB, Stretch, O. McDonald, Grimes, Harmes (rookie), White (rookie),

EDIT: One thing about this team is it needs some serious pace.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

Just throwing some names around this is what I see as the core 2016 team at this stage.

FB: Jetta Frost Dunn

HB: TBC T. McDonald Salem

C: Vince vandenBerg Brayshaw

HF: Watts TBC Kent

FF: Garlett Hogan TBC

Foll: Gawn N. Jones Tyson

Int: Petracca Brayshaw Cross TBC

Possible TBC players: Lumumba, Dawes, Trengove, Toumpas, JKH, ANB, Stretch

It's positive to look at that and the age of most of those players. I think this off-season we will be going for another tall forward (possibly two if we can snare Lynch and Tomlinson). I also would like to see us take a speedy forward/mid as we have struggled with Kent injured.

By the way you've forgotten Viney. I imagine he will be best 22.

Edited by Is Dom Is Good

It's positive to look at that and the age of most of those players. I think this off-season we will be going for another tall forward (possibly two if we can snare Lynch and Tomlinson). I also would like to see us take a speedy forward/mid as we have struggled with Kent injured.

By the way you've forgotten Viney. I imagine he will be best 22.

Good point, I knew I'd forget someone.

To me it felt like Roo's is using the last 3 games of the year as a trial for positions on the team list; and what I have observed is:

Dunn is our Fullback

Jetta and Salem are our two back flankers.

Jones is our centre

T McDonald is our Centre half Forward (but is just as likely a tall back)

Hogan is our Full Forward

Garlet is our Forward Pocket

Gawn is our Ruck

Viney and Vince are our starting midfielders (Rover, Ruck Rover)

Brayshaw is a rotating midfielder (forward flank)

Grimes has probably earned a spot on the bench

and that's it! That is the core of what the MFC has going forward based on performance. Howe would be the next person I would include as the floating 3rd tall in the backs.

Now obviously there are a lot of positions that will be filled by very capable players on the list, leaving a starting 22 of something like:

Blank Dunn Blank

Jetta Frost Salem

Brayshaw Jones stretch

Vanders T MacDonald Petrecca

Garlett Hogan JKH/Kent

Gawn Vince Viney

Grimes/Michie Harmes/NealBullen

Could Dawes play back where he only needs to get the ball to the ground and where running the straight lines would help with his persistent injury.

Cross has shown over the last few weeks that the pace of the game is going past him (his disposals are now reminding me of C Bruce towards the end of his career) - that he is still Melbourne's best players says more about the list than his performance. Note for most players at this stage of there career, there form will drop off very quickly.

Have not included Howe as anyone who has not resigned with a week to go of the season is obviously giving considerable thought to other options.

Filling the blanks is where it gets interesting:

Grimes Dunn [bugg]

Salem Frost Jetta

Vince Jones [suckling]

Vanders [Lynch] Tyson

T McDonald Hogan Garlett

Gawn [Prestia] Viney

Brayshaw Petrecca Kent [Horlin-Smith]

emg: Stretch (small), Pederson (tall)

If you added Motlop to the equation then this starts getting very exciting

edit: forgot Tyson, Pederson

Edited by Ungarie boy

Filling the blanks is where it gets interesting:

Grimes Dunn [bugg]

Salem Frost Jetta

Vince Jones [suckling]

Vanders [Lynch] Kent

T McDonald Hogan Garlett

Gawn [Prestia] Viney

Brayshaw Petrecca Stretch [Horlin-Smith]

If you added Motlop to the equation then this starts getting very exciting

Please explain trade theory.

• Like 1

Again, I think it's fair to say we have a major weakness in our backline which is a lack of good decision makers and elite kicks.

Not only do we have a 'lack of'. We also probably have the worst group in the league. Garland, Dunn, McDonald, Cross, Grimes.

Jetta I'd rate as decent. He hits more than he misses.

Salem is a great user and we need another two like him.

Honestly I would be doing anything to get Plowman or McKenzie as a pocket. And one of Yarran or Kade Kolodjashnij as a HBF.

That's two player who will completely change the dynamic of that group.

As a very basic example, it would at least mean that our KPB in Dunn and McDonald would know that there are 'give-to' players around them and it would mean we wouldn't see McDonald going for kicks that he is most of the time incapable of hitting. He is not a good user of the ball and some of his kicks just murdered us yesterday. It's so unbelievably energy-sapping for our other players who run hard to create space only to be continuously killed by these type of turn-overs. McDonald has some fine attributes as a backman. But this [censored] needs to stop.

I'd do anything for a selection of two of those names for our back-line.

We must do something about it.

• Like 2

And yes, I'm aware the midfield group needs addressing also...

.....and we need a CHF......

.... ...............

...... and second Forward/Ruckman who actually has some ability in playing... (ie not Spencer)....

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Please explain trade theory.

* Bugg have seen his name bandied about and with GWS needing to make trades to get there GWS players (this year and next) would indicate that he is gettable - apply this same principal to Ploughman who would also suit this role

* Suckling was gettable last year, the hawks reliance on his "boot" is no longer required and they have a query on his one-on-one defence (hence a possible wing role with the Dees)

* Lynch only going on the speculation, but even that was half true - then he is gettable.

* Prestia is a bit of a long bow, but if any top midfielder were to be in frame then he would be likely. contracts mean nothing, and the GC may be looking at a mini-rebuild particularly if Dixon leaves; decent run with injuries will mean they should have a strong midfield that the might come to the table with - their rucks also have not come on as expected.

* Horlin-Smith is a good midfielder not getting a run behind Duncan and Selwood. He's a similar style to them (though he's a similar style to Jones, Viney). Geelong will need to offload to some player for Dangerfield (should it eventuates)

* Motlop - He keeps being touted as the fallout of a Dangerfield-to-Cats deal. If he's available we should throw the kitchen sink at him (meets our speed and skill requirements in the midfield)

The Academy may be a bit of a blessing to some clubs like us, as it means the Swans, Giants and Lions are going to have to trade to accommodate these 'bargain' picks. I would expect Z jones to be gettable. Obviously J Aish and M Leunberger. We should also look at someone like Williams from the GWS. Of course with all these scenario's "Players gettable" doesn't equate to "MFC players" there also another 17 clubs who have a say.

Yarran at his best next year will equate to Lumumba at his worst this year - any thought of this trade should be discounted immediately (the passion has left his game, and he was always a lazy footballer to begin with)

What picks

* Bugg have seen his name bandied about and with GWS needing to make trades to get there GWS players (this year and next) would indicate that he is gettable - apply this same principal to Ploughman who would also suit this role

* Suckling was gettable last year, the hawks reliance on his "boot" is no longer required and they have a query on his one-on-one defence (hence a possible wing role with the Dees)

* Lynch only going on the speculation, but even that was half true - then he is gettable.

* Prestia is a bit of a long bow, but if any top midfielder were to be in frame then he would be likely. contracts mean nothing, and the GC may be looking at a mini-rebuild particularly if Dixon leaves; decent run with injuries will mean they should have a strong midfield that the might come to the table with - their rucks also have not come on as expected.

* Horlin-Smith is a good midfielder not getting a run behind Duncan and Selwood. He's a similar style to them (though he's a similar style to Jones, Viney). Geelong will need to offload to some player for Dangerfield (should it eventuates)

* Motlop - He keeps being touted as the fallout of a Dangerfield-to-Cats deal. If he's available we should throw the kitchen sink at him (meets our speed and skill requirements in the midfield)

The Academy may be a bit of a blessing to some clubs like us, as it means the Swans, Giants and Lions are going to have to trade to accommodate these 'bargain' picks. I would expect Z jones to be gettable. Obviously J Aish and M Leunberger. We should also look at someone like Williams from the GWS. Of course with all these scenario's "Players gettable" doesn't equate to "MFC players" there also another 17 clubs who have a say.

Yarran at his best next year will equate to Lumumba at his worst this year - any thought of this trade should be discounted immediately (the passion has left his game, and he was always a lazy footballer to begin with)

What MFC PIcks/players would you give to achieve all of this?

Honestly, we can make six delistings without affecting the pool we are drawing our match-day 22 from. It's a comforting though that our list is surely not going to go backwards in the off-season!

I'm of the 'Howe looks gone' opinion and would be happy if we were able to package him either with our second round pick (23ish) to gain an extra pick in about the middle of the first round, or even with our third round pick to get an extra one at the start of round 2.

E.g. Howe and 3rd rounder to the Gold Coast (one rumoured destination) for their start of 2nd round pick.

Giving us something like 5, 20 and 25.

Then a big gap to late in the draft where we can speculate wildly, which is fine because all the phantom drafts and commentary seem to be saying 'throw a blanket over everything after pick 40, anyone's guess'.

I'd love for us to get Francis (5) and Hibberd (20/25) and in the process seal up our defensive stocks alongside McDonald (The Mcdonalds?) for a decade. Particularly as they are both rated for their composure and skill by foot.

I'm sure that will horrify the many who (for clearly good reasons) want us to urgently prioritise midfielders. I have two reasons -

First, we have so many prospective midfielders who for youth or injury reasons couldn't be expected to be big contributors this year.

Trengove and Petracca most obviously. Then each of Salem, Vandenberg, Neal-Bullen, Stetch, Harmes, Newton and Kent. That's serious scope for improvement from 9 young midfielder, discounting any expectations of growth from Brayshaw or a return to form from Tyson.

Second, 2016 Free agency! Rich, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Ziebell, Hartlett, and Hannebery all come into Free Agency, as well as a handful of worthy veterans.

I for one would not blink at offering 5-year, 750k/year contracts to both Sidebtoom and Hannebery, for a start.

But when it comes to mobile tall defenders capable of really defending and then rebounding with poise, we're pretty shot at the moment. The adequate-at-best options we've got are getting old, and there's little future prospect to be found already on on our list.

E.g. Howe and 3rd rounder to the Gold Coast (one rumoured destination) for their start of 2nd round pick.

Giving us something like 5, 20 and 25.

Then a big gap to late in the draft where we can speculate wildly, which is fine because all the phantom drafts and commentary seem to be saying 'throw a blanket over everything after pick 40, anyone's guess'.

I like where you're heading but we would be badly losing in that trade. We should be aiming for a minimum of Howe for early 2nd round pick by itself.

I'd be more interested in trading Howe for an established player though. Think Howe for Tomlinson or Trent McKenzie.

By the way I just had an email sent from someone with access to player salaries (take it with a grain of salt).

I'm not going to go into detail but some of the players salaries for people we don't rate was staggering.

I seriously think we can make a massive play for Dangerfield this off-season and pay him a packet over the next two seasons while also maintaining a long term view. Really hope we can somehow get him over the line.

• Like 2

And yes, I'm aware the midfield group needs addressing also...

.....and we need a CHF......

.... ...............

...... and second Forward/Ruckman who actually has some ability in playing... (ie not Spencer)....

Pedersen whilst not a B grader does fill this role well and has been missed he would have been very handy giving Gawn a chop out as he tired during games.

Pedersen is only a temporary fix until a better option comes along

I think we have other priorities as you say and the good ball deliverers off the backline are a must

If we half our turnovers that will immediately equate to more wins

• Like 4

Pedersen whilst not a B grader does fill this role well and has been missed he would have been very handy giving Gawn a chop out as he tired during games.

Pedersen is only a temporary fix until a better option comes along

I think we have other priorities as you say and the good ball deliverers off the backline are a must

If we half our turnovers that will immediately equate to more wins

Pedersen has been good the last couple of seasons in that role, ever since he found his hands. Can take a grab and works hard.

• Like 2