Delistings/trades at end of the season

If Nathan Jones is cut of a different cloth and immune from the Melbourne disease that we have to rid ourselves of, why can't Garland be cut of that cloth?

He was always consistent amid the nonsense and bounced back this year with some better footy than 2014.

I agree that our list has been trained to be timid and inert since Bailey left but it is bordering on ridiculous, stmj, when you say that everyone must go regardless of form or talent.*

*except Nathan Jones

Garland isn't some mercenary, he doesn't play like a bloke damaged by past failure, he has looked a model professional, he shadowed the recruiters for a year when he did his bone in his foot, he built a career and held a leadership position, and as discussed previously, seems to have a solid relationship with the bloke we have put in charge of breaking us from our malaise.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 7

Garland only goes if he decides to move on as a FA. He won't cost crazy $$ to keep & he's clearly rated as a required player by Roosy. Unlike Frawley we won't get overs or well compensated if he walks & I have it on good authority the club is confident he'll stay if we keep improving as other clubs pushing for finals are only offering small $ & a chance to play finals to him. If he won't break the bank & the club is confident he'll stay I see no benefit in the club pushing or moving him along. He's a long way off being lumped in with players of Riley, Michie, Bail's ilk, most clubs could find a place for Garland to do a job defensively each week. Anyone here who says otherwise is not being objective imo. His role every week is usually to shut down a bloke which he does very well, both tall, small & on dangerous resting midfielders. If Grimes or H could do it as well or better they'd already be getting those jobs ahead of Garland.

Wow, never thought I'd be defending Garlo before, I'm not even a huge fan of his, but he does add value to the team imo..... Howe on the other hand.......

• Like 5

Do we realistically think Prestia will end up at the Dees next year or is it more of a pipe dream?

If both he & the club get their way this will be done. & before I get flamed, I heard that weeks ago from a Prestia, they didn't know for sure but they were confident he'll end up at his beloved demons somehow.

• Like 13

If both he & the club get their way this will be done. & before I get flamed, I heard that weeks ago from a Prestia, they didn't know for sure but they were confident he'll end up at his beloved demons somehow.

i know it's just rumour and speculation, but...

vhg.gif

Just not for pick 5 though...;)

• Like 1

i know it's just rumour and speculation, but...

vhg.gif

Just not for pick 5 though...;)

Why not for pick 5? With Prestia and Petracca both joining our midfield mix next year we will be competitive with anybody else in the competition!

Looking more and more likely all the time, we want him, he wants to come.

in terms of the trade,say we lose garlo and free agency comp is pick 19 so 500k per year= pick at the end pf the first round

pick 19 & 23 for prestia and a late pick

personally id just throw up pick 5

• Like 2

Why not for pick 5? With Prestia and Petracca both joining our midfield mix next year we will be competitive with anybody else in the competition!

It's a shallow draft from all accounts, which could render our later picks perhaps quite worthless or only capable of selecting donkeys. Feel that we need to keep our high draft pick to get at least some good talent through the draft, what if we missed out on another Brayshaw/Salem?

Howe and some other sweetners may work if Prestia wants out and wants to come to us. I have full faith in the recruiting drafting team, they have been outstanding since they came in.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As

Looking more and more likely all the time, we want him, he wants to come.

in terms of the trade,say we lose garlo and free agency comp is pick 19 so 500k per year= pick at the end pf the first round

pick 19 & 23 for prestia and a late pick

personally id just throw up pick 5

I would take that and run if that meant we still kept pick 5!

But I think you couldm be right surely GC would ask for a first rounder.

• Like 2

Saty likes this too gandalf.gif

• Like 4

If Nathan Jones is cut of a different cloth and immune from the Melbourne disease that we have to rid ourselves of, why can't Garland be cut of that cloth?

He was always consistent amid the nonsense and bounced back this year with some better footy than 2014.

I agree that our list has been trained to be timid and inert since Bailey left but it is bordering on ridiculous, stmj, when you say that everyone must go regardless of form or talent.*

*except Nathan Jones

Garland isn't some mercenary, he doesn't play like a bloke damaged by past failure, he has looked a model professional, he shadowed the recruiters for a year when he did his bone in his foot, he built a career and held a leadership position, and as discussed previously, seems to have a solid relationship with the bloke we have put in charge of breaking us from our malaise.

Nathan Jones wasn't cut of that cloth of immunity, he just had a stronger resistance. he too was weakened below his level, by the disease. it took him 5 yrs of supporters wanting him gone, before he started to overcome it.

many talents fell victim to its feather-bed illusions. wasted talents.

Pick 5, as much as you'd like it to be a bankable star, is just as likely to produce an O'Rourke, Plowman, Morton, a Jarrad Grant, a Bennell, a Scully, a Hurley, even a Toumpas (don't get me wrong, he has time & I like the progress the kid has shown this year). A Gumbleton, Hansen or Leuenberger, even a Gibbs, who took longer than Watts to show enough.

Plenty of solid players, but few of those names are stars.

I think for a top 5 pick to turn out to be as good as Prestia is a very good result.

Any better is pure luck and quite rare.

• Like 5

I think they'd ask for more.

Whether they'll get it is another question.

Players do have more power and leverage these days. If Dion really has his heart set on a move to Melbourne, he could just say, 'I want out, make the trade happen or I walk for nothing the following year'. Edited by AdamFarr

Whilst I don't wish to 'pick' on him, can some of you watch Garland today and tell me what he's adding to the side today?

He's already fluffed kicks. One of which was to a player less than 15 metres away on his own.

Do people see how one-dimensional our backline is?

Garland has value through FA. We need a different skill set in our side and in our backline.

Watch Garland for the rest of the day and you'll see what I mean. He is insignificant. Irrelevant.

Whilst I don't wish to 'pick' on him, can some of you watch Garland today and tell me what he's adding to the side today?

He's already fluffed kicks. One of which was to a player less than 15 metres away on his own.

Do people see how one-dimensional our backline is?

Garland has value through FA. We need a different skill set in our side and in our backline.

Watch Garland for the rest of the day and you'll see what I mean. He is insignificant. Irrelevant.

Watching a different game to you 'steve'...

He's been pretty good today, defending well and spreading to create an option. 88.9% DE by the way.

• Like 4

DE?

You're not really looking at that are you?

It is sooooooo misleading.

I'm using him as one of many in our backline who do not use the ball well enough.. They don't make smart decisions and they don't kick well.

You can't have a backline with most of the players sharing the same weakness.