Play Jeremy Howe as a forward

I was right behind both his banana kicks that did not look like it.

On the angle and distance a traditional kick was the way to go.

There was room and he is a right footer.

Neither of the shots were more than difficult kicked in the traditional manner.

I can understand it his action if was on the other side or the angle was more difficult.

none from two was poor.

Looked at home up forward but yes I couldn't understand the banana options in both cases. Needs some advice and also further goal kicking practice. Players can turn this around. I remember a young Yze in his first season. Looked promising but struggled with his goal kicking a little. He turned this around by staying behind after regular training at the junction and practicing for an hour or so after most had left and gone home, even under lights in the deep of winter I recall seeing him do this.

Anyway, to completely buck the trend I think Howe is a wingman! He's a between the arcs player who has good endurance, great hands, and can kick the ball. He defends well at times, he can get lost forward. It's a matter of getting him in the game.

I'm sick of the trade/contract stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm inclined that he'll stay if we are a viable team and he's found a niche for himself. There's not really anything to gain speculating or assassinating his character for no reason.

Most players are more comfortable in a set position, but Howe might be the rare type who just needs a challenge to do a particular role each week whether it's forward, back or on a wing.

The weekend showed a glimpse of the old Howe for mine and the forward line as a whole looked well oiled and better balanced with him playing a "deep" forward role.

Marks i30 to 40 are the most valuable in the game. Just needs to work on his kicking decision making vs angle (ie., dont try a banana when a simple drop punt wldve been more effective).

If he kicks those 2 goals everyone would be saying how better he looks up forward again. This will come if he and the club work on his decision making and kicking technique.

Edited by Rusty Nails

In many ways Dunn is a bigger disappointment than Howe. We have never seen Howe play to his full potential. Another Sylvia in the making. Dunn proved he can play. He was supposed to be a cornerstone of our stillborn revival which looked like happening mid last season. We can forget about that now. Trade him too. We can't be any worse at the moment without him.

Still feel this way, or have you gotten over the lost to the Hawks?

I think we should try and use his tank and play him as a high forward. Hogan and Howe can take it in turns pushing up the wings.

If we are clearing out of the backline to a 1 on 1 with either Howe or Hogan then I like those odds.

Needs to seriously practice his goal kicking - he is a senior player and needs to be a leader!

Still feel this way, or have you gotten over the lost to the Hawks?

Ask me again when we finally don't capitulate under pressure. Haven't shaken off the front runners Vs modest opposition tag yet. Waiting to see a reprise of his Essendon game last season pre contract signing.

Edited by america de cali

Howe's output and input yesterday were improved but I would still put him in the bottom quartile for impact and effort. Took some great marks but didn't capitalize on the scoreboard (ridiculous that he kicked side on twice from that angle). Worked harder but not hard enough. Our structure forward did look better with him there though.

• Like 1

Ask me again when we finally don't capitulate under pressure. Haven't shaken off the front runners Vs modest opposition tag yet. Waiting to see a reprise of his Essendon game last season pre contract signing.

That must be a step up from capitulating against everyone though!

• Like 1

I remember in the 05-06 grand finals worsfold using hunter as a defender but as soon as they kicked a goal they'd move him forward in a proactive move to try and turn one goal into two and build momentum, I think that's how we should use Howe

As it should be.

So the revival mustn't have been a still born, just had a pause.

We are on the up, it is obvious if you look for it and focus on the positives, there are far more of them than there was. yes the negatives are still there, and yes many of them are the same as the last few years, difference is they are not as obvious or as common as they once were.

The good will come, but one of the first steps is the supporters showing support!

I'm confident that the club are in a position to pay Howe what he is worth, which I suspect is less than he and his manager think. He's still a highlight reel, not a consistent competitive footballer. With a functioning forward line like yesterday he can get some space and freedom up forward, but it's VERY inconsistent, cos he does not like the physical body work. At all. Goes missing.

An in form Grimes and Fitzpatrick are critical for the make up of the side.

This allows Howe to play high half forward (which is his best position) and also frees up Dunn and Garland to play against 3/4th best forwards.

Previously against Port, Mcdonald would have played against Schultz and then we would have played Garland against Ryder (a mismatch).

Next week, Fitzi plays against Ryder, Dunn against Westhoff and frees up Garland and Grimes.

Playing Fitzi in the back line has been an inspired move by the coaching staff.

I'd expect him to play every game of the year from now on..

Anyway, to completely buck the trend I think Howe is a wingman! He's a between the arcs player who has good endurance, great hands, and can kick the ball. He defends well at times, he can get lost forward. It's a matter of getting him in the game.

I'm sick of the trade/contract stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm inclined that he'll stay if we are a viable team and he's found a niche for himself. There's not really anything to gain speculating or assassinating his character for no reason.

Most players are more comfortable in a set position, but Howe might be the rare type who just needs a challenge to do a particular role each week whether it's forward, back or on a wing. I agree...

I agree... Howe's best position is high half forward. He has now developed his defensive game and will be a headache for the opposition as a 4th/5th tall.

The forward make up should be Hogan, Dawes (fit), Pederson, Watts and Howe (pushing up), Garlett and a resting mid.

If gws wanted to cough up pick 7 for him they clearly rate him, we might well get more value trading him

Agreed - I think he is partly responsible for our insipid performances. He is one of a handful of senior players on our list that when challenged go into their shell.

I think we have another Colin Sylvia - we all know he could be good but deep down it probably wont happen at Melbourne.

On another note:

His value as a poster boy for the club is I guess another factor which may need to be considered given we are struggling to attract new young members.

He can also create opposition head aches when it comes to match ups and does add a bit to the forward line on paper/structure.

Tough one!

Edited by Young Dee

have been saying he should stay within the forward 50 and at the ground yesterday was crying out for him to be there sos many times when we started an attack and there was no one to go to players handpassed it about at 60 metres trying to spot someone up and the ball just got lost in the congestion. Howe was part of the congestion as he went down the field to be in the play. Hogan can run free with Howe in the pocket.

Howe also put plenty of pressure of Doggies defence as he is quiet quick and forced errors and turnovers with his presence.

Deep forward always in the 50 running round to create an option and take that mark deep is the go

• Like 2

He missed those shots to the nearside for the same reason - got too close to the man on the mark & was cramped for room.

I thought the second Bulldog on the mark (to stop Howe from running around) was allowed to get much too close. Have to check that on the replay.

He missed those shots to the nearside for the same reason - got too close to the man on the mark & was cramped for room.

I thought the second Bulldog on the mark (to stop Howe from running around) was allowed to get much too close. Have to check that on the replay.

Akum

you are right i watched form the members wing Should have been a free kick or 50 Very poor umpiring

• Like 1