Essendon VFL v Casey Scorpions - Round 3

KC from Casey

I think the pace of VFL footy suits Spencer. And I can't see him being effective as a resting ruckman up forward. If Jamar is out, Spencer plays.

I agree. but sooner or later he needs to be rewarded for his strong form in the 2s.

Positive: jimmy can get the ball..

Negative: he can't seem to do anything with it.

to me that suggests that alot of his issues are probably related to confidence, the belief he can do more than a ten meter chip pass, and that he can run and carry and actually create for his team.

i'd say his stats are almost totally irrelevant until he can show a capacity to use the ball with more impact

Robert Harvey became a legend on 10 metre chip passes

What I think Roosey is thinking is that Toumpas' development is the most important thing at the moment. It was telling that he wasnt even named in the emergencies - and Stretch was. I reckon they are giving him 8-10 weeks at vfl and if he can start dominating week in week out, he will get in the ones and stay there.

So then the question is, who was playing better than Mckenzie at casey? riley, jones? . much of a muchness

I suspected, mck had played well and needed to be rewarded for that and rather than have toumpas on bench as sub better he play full game with Casey. I'm happy for him to have half season if not more at Casey under Brendan McCarthy and really build confidence. He's got all physical attributes, but seems his mind needs a little catching up. We need him to succeed.
  • Like 1

I think the pace of VFL footy suits Spencer. And I can't see him being effective as a resting ruckman up forward. If Jamar is out, Spencer plays.

I watched some of replay of previous week and thought he was average. But I only watched one scrappy qtr so may be being unfair toward him

I watched some of replay of previous week and thought he was average. But I only watched one scrappy qtr so may be being unfair toward him

There's a reason for that.... he can't play!

Maybe you cannot judge

So finished it off on the way to work this morning - wow we turned off.

Bail - Breaks the lines, bursts through packs and looks like a really good VFL player. However, looking at some of the other players for Casey, he does not have enough strings to the bow. He is fast and now, to his credit, he has a hardness to his game. Disposal is not there. I was for delisting him at the end of the year but can see him getting a contract extension (1 year) or a rookie contract. He is good enough to be on the bottom end of an AFL list.

Jones - Unlike Bail, he seems to get more of the ball on the outside. Again great speed and can see why he stood out at this level and we wanted to draft him. Offers a bit around the ground but with Jones, Viney and Tyson I think he doenst have a place in the Dees team at the moment.

Riley - I just wonder. Got plenty of it, was at the bottom of packs and worked himself into the game. It is such a scrappy style which will often be overlooked because he is not the one breaking away with the ball (he fed it to the runner). I like him and I like him on the list, but with Viney on the way back and Brayshaw in the team, I just dont think there is a position for him in the 22. We missed speed and run and the other 3 experienced mids offered this.

Toumpas - Great first half and if he played 4 quarters like that he would be back next week. The first half was characterised with run and linking up. His teammates went to him much more and he was in more of the clearances. In the second half he was around the ball but couldn't keep his hands on it. He'd drop a mark, or be the man who was handballed to when a tackle was immanent or tracked the ball to the boundary. A lot of wing work and ran all day (he is getting miles in his legs). Another 2 games in the VFL at least for my mind. There is no need to bring him up just yet.

Fitzy - Cannot believe it was Fitzy. He looked like a full back. He read it well in flight, he was too strong for the Don's forwards and his kicking wasn't terrible. He will be offered a contract - he has shown too much not too. Commands the backline a little like Dunn does. Very vocal and very clear. The benefits of having a 200cm, quick man down back who can also relief ruck is too tempting to say goodbye too. He might not get to 100 games, but he'll be a dee for a few more years.

Gawn - If he could take more contested marks he would be playing from the square in the AFL. Dominated the ruck and showed a lot around the ground. Hope they are working him hard in training out of the square. Kicking wasnt bad for a big man, really good physical pressure, but he should be taking more marks inside 50. Better delivery might help but Hogan did it (I know thats not a fair comparison).

Spencer - Humble Pie this guy. His start of the season in the VFL has been mosterous. He is doing everything to be in line for a recall, however - kicking and marking are still issues. Nothing you dont already know - tap work he is in front of Gawn, but behind in his work around the ground.

Terlich - Spoiled well, husseled, but disposal was terrible and beaten by his man on the day.

White and Harmes - Yeah they played but I didnt really notice them that much but when they were involved they were strong. Developing players and the jury is still out. Will continue to support and hope.

Now to my 2 new favourite players

Disclaimer. Thank you Western Bulldogs. You handed us a great development coach who is having a great influence on our club. You are taking a lot of headlines at the moment and meaning we can slip under the radar. But my favourite part is that you took McLean, Webb, Hamilton, Dale and Daniel when the "draft-perts" said you needed to take a tall in McDonald. Even when you went small you didnt take Neal-Bullen. Neal-Bullen was rated pick #21 by both Cal Twomey and Knightmare and #23 by Paige; Oscar rated 22 (Knightmare), 25 (Twomey) and 27 (Paige). We got them at 40 and 53 and we have McCarrtney developing them.

Neal-Bullen - Feel like he will play AFL this year. Tackles like Brayshaw and goes hard at in (like Brayshaw). In the first half he ran from contest to contest to get himself involved. Picked up a few touches but found himself at the bottom of packs either tackling or being tackled. In the second half he was moved into the centre square and was able to get first hands on the ball. His decision making needs a bit of work, but generally his disposal is good. Watching him, it is reflective of what Cal Twomey was saying about the draft. After the top 4, the rest of the draft is quite even and teams will be drafting for needs, rather than best player as they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I dont think there was much difference in terms of skill between him and Laverde, although Laverde's height is a big plus. Rather him then Boekhorst and Ellis so far. Lonie (St Kilda, pick 41) and Nel-Bullen may be the steals of this draft. I'll make a call, round 16 will be his first game v Brisbane. Will compete with Michie and Cross for their positions. Probably will need to wait till Cross retires to get a solid run at seniors.

McDonald - If I told you he read the ball really well, left his man when he needed to to help out others, tackles strongly and tracks the ball well, comes out of defence with great speed and takes intercept marks coming out of our 50 and sends it back in, but still needs to but on strength as he is still a bean pole - does he remind you of anyone we drafted with pick #53 a few years back? The difference is his kicking. He can send some bullet passes down the ground that hit the middle of the chest - however at the moment they are being delivered to the opposition. One that stands out is when he went to ANB on a 2 on 1 and ignored Bail and Jones. Needs to lower the eyes a little more. Considering he never played under 18 championships, he wont be used to the speed and pressure of VFL so assume this will come in time. Dont expect him to play this year unless there are some serious injuries. He is behind Fitz in a call up and doesnt have the size to play on AFL forwards yet - maybe a rangy half forward with his speed, but will get pushed off the ball too easily at the moment. If he stays injury free I'm looking forward to seeing him in Demon colours for a little next year before cementing a spot in 2017/2018. If you read his Knightmare draft profile watching him play is like reading this. Reads the flight, rebounds well, versatile, can shut down an opponent. Looks like we have worked on his 2nd and 3rd efforts because these were much better today.

Best on for me was Fitz and Gawn. Bail and Jone got in the possessions but when the game was close Gawn, Fitz and Toump were the ones driving it. When we got on top, Jones and Bail took over and dominated the game and then disappeared when the Dons had their come back. At this point, Gawn stood up in the centre and down forward and Fitz was great in the last line of defence and rebounding from the back half.

For the changes thread, I wouldnt be rushing anyone in due to our lack of intensity in the final quarter. Roos was talking about selfish football and at the VFL level we saw this a lot with the mids. Blazing and kicking without thinking how can I help a mate out to help the team. If Roos was not happy with the Dees, he wont be happy watching the Casey replay. Depending on the outs will dictate who comes in as no one hammered down the door. If it is Salem then Jones or Bail for some speed, if you are dropping an in and under then Riley. If you want another tall then Gawn. A poster in the other thread suggested Fitz in to take on Tippet. Although I'd like to see this match up - he's not there yet. Essendon's lack of talented tall forwards is a very different assignment than the Bondi Billionaires. Give the Casey boys another few weeks and really break the door down - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at who will be coming in.

• Like 24

Top post Deelicious , cheers. Rarely get to magoos these days. Thanks for the insight.

Agree with you re McCartney. I see good things emanating from his influence.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

Bail - Breaks the lines, bursts through packs and looks like a really good VFL player. However, looking at some of the other players for Casey, he does not have enough strings to the bow. He is fast and now, to his credit, he has a hardness to his game. Disposal is not there. I was for delisting him at the end of the year but can see him getting a contract extension (1 year) or a rookie contract. He is good enough to be on the bottom end of an AFL list.

Jones - Unlike Bail, he seems to get more of the ball on the outside. Again great speed and can see why he stood out at this level and we wanted to draft him. Offers a bit around the ground but with Jones, Viney and Tyson I think he doenst have a place in the Dees team at the moment.

Riley - I just wonder. Got plenty of it, was at the bottom of packs and worked himself into the game. It is such a scrappy style which will often be overlooked because he is not the one breaking away with the ball (he fed it to the runner). I like him and I like him on the list, but with Viney on the way back and Brayshaw in the team, I just dont think there is a position for him in the 22. We missed speed and run and the other 3 experienced mids offered this.

Toumpas - Great first half and if he played 4 quarters like that he would be back next week. The first half was characterised with run and linking up. His teammates went to him much more and he was in more of the clearances. In the second half he was around the ball but couldn't keep his hands on it. He'd drop a mark, or be the man who was handballed to when a tackle was immanent or tracked the ball to the boundary. A lot of wing work and ran all day (he is getting miles in his legs). Another 2 games in the VFL at least for my mind. There is no need to bring him up just yet.

Fitzy - Cannot believe it was Fitzy. He looked like a full back. He read it well in flight, he was too strong for the Don's forwards and his kicking wasn't terrible. He will be offered a contract - he has shown too much not too. Commands the backline a little like Dunn does. Very vocal and very clear. The benefits of having a 200cm, quick man down back who can also relief ruck is too tempting to say goodbye too. He might not get to 100 games, but he'll be a dee for a few more years.

Gawn - If he could take more contested marks he would be playing from the square in the AFL. Dominated the ruck and showed a lot around the ground. Hope they are working him hard in training out of the square. Kicking wasnt bad for a big man, really good physical pressure, but he should be taking more marks inside 50. Better delivery might help but Hogan did it (I know thats not a fair comparison).

Spencer - Humble Pie this guy. His start of the season in the VFL has been mosterous. He is doing everything to be in line for a recall, however - kicking and marking are still issues. Nothing you dont already know - tap work he is in front of Gawn, but behind in his work around the ground.

Terlich - Spoiled well, husseled, but disposal was terrible and beaten by his man on the day.

White and Harmes - Yeah they played but I didnt really notice them that much but when they were involved they were strong. Developing players and the jury is still out. Will continue to support and hope.

Disclaimer. Thank you Western Bulldogs. You handed us a great development coach who is having a great influence on our club. You are taking a lot of headlines at the moment and meaning we can slip under the radar. But my favourite part is that you took McLean, Webb, Hamilton, Dale and Daniel when the "draft-perts" said you needed to take a tall in McDonald. Even when you went small you didnt take Neal-Bullen. Neal-Bullen was rated pick #21 by both Cal Twomey and Knightmare and #23 by Paige; Oscar rated 22 (Knightmare), 25 (Twomey) and 27 (Paige). We got them at 40 and 53 and we have McCarrtney developing them.

Neal-Bullen - Feel like he will play AFL this year. Tackles like Brayshaw and goes hard at in (like Brayshaw). In the first half he ran from contest to contest to get himself involved. Picked up a few touches but found himself at the bottom of packs either tackling or being tackled. In the second half he was moved into the centre square and was able to get first hands on the ball. His decision making needs a bit of work, but generally his disposal is good. Watching him, it is reflective of what Cal Twomey was saying about the draft. After the top 4, the rest of the draft is quite even and teams will be drafting for needs, rather than best player as they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I dont think there was much difference in terms of skill between him and Laverde, although Laverde's height is a big plus. Rather him then Boekhorst and Ellis so far. Lonie (St Kilda, pick 41) and Nel-Bullen may be the steals of this draft. I'll make a call, round 16 will be his first game v Brisbane. Will compete with Michie and Cross for their positions. Probably will need to wait till Cross retires to get a solid run at seniors.

McDonald - If I told you he read the ball really well, left his man when he needed to to help out others, tackles strongly and tracks the ball well, comes out of defence with great speed and takes intercept marks coming out of our 50 and sends it back in, but still needs to but on strength as he is still a bean pole - does he remind you of anyone we drafted with pick #53 a few years back? The difference is his kicking. He can send some bullet passes down the ground that hit the middle of the chest - however at the moment they are being delivered to the opposition. One that stands out is when he went to ANB on a 2 on 1 and ignored Bail and Jones. Needs to lower the eyes a little more. Considering he never played under 18 championships, he wont be used to the speed and pressure of VFL so assume this will come in time. Dont expect him to play this year unless there are some serious injuries. He is behind Fitz in a call up and doesnt have the size to play on AFL forwards yet - maybe a rangy half forward with his speed, but will get pushed off the ball too easily at the moment. If he stays injury free I'm looking forward to seeing him in Demon colours for a little next year before cementing a spot in 2017/2018. If you read his Knightmare draft profile watching him play is like reading this. Reads the flight, rebounds well, versatile, can shut down an opponent. Looks like we have worked on his 2nd and 3rd efforts because these were much better today.

Best on for me was Fitz and Gawn. Bail and Jone got in the possessions but when the game was close Gawn, Fitz and Toump were the ones driving it. When we got on top, Jones and Bail took over and dominated the game and then disappeared when the Dons had their come back. At this point, Gawn stood up in the centre and down forward and Fitz was great in the last line of defence and rebounding from the back half.

For the changes thread, I wouldnt be rushing anyone in due to our lack of intensity in the final quarter. Roos was talking about selfish football and at the VFL level we saw this a lot with the mids. Blazing and kicking without thinking how can I help a mate out to help the team. If Roos was not happy with the Dees, he wont be happy watching the Casey replay. Depending on the outs will dictate who comes in as no one hammered down the door. If it is Salem then Jones or Bail for some speed, if you are dropping an in and under then Riley. If you want another tall then Gawn. A poster in the other thread suggested Fitz in to take on Tippet. Although I'd like to see this match up - he's not there yet. Essendon's lack of talented tall forwards is a very different assignment than the Bondi Billionaires. Give the Casey boys another few weeks and really break the door down - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at who will be coming in.

Best player review I have ever read on here

Very excited about ANB and O Mac

• Like 5

Awesome work Dee, like the others after your post I thought this was an excellent post - definitely worthy of more than a 'like'.

• Like 3