Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2015 Contracts Thread

rpfc

We don't have a player on our list named Reilly.

I hate to be a pedant, there is just something about getting people's name wrong that really grates me.

Maybe if he could get named in the 22 a bit more, then the spelling of his named would be ingrained in my memory better! ☺

Edit: smile.

Edited by Tall Defence
  • Like 1

Updated, and I have added an underlined feature for those I think are in the top 11 paid players; this is what determines RFA for those out of contract after 8/9 years.

Not sure if Tmac would be in that bracket yet(but will be for his next contract).Something needs to happen with Grimes at years end. Can't half someone taking up good money sitting in the two's. If first year players are getting a game before him it's time to go. Trade table beckons. Edited by Al's Demons
  • Like 1

So if people here don't rate Grimes why would they think he's got any trade value? Also, his new club would have to take up his current contract.

Grimes stays but unless he improves, he's a depth player. It's darn near impossible to even have 32 "AFL ready" players on a list so there are advantages to having players with a fair bit of go in them as depth players ... if these players also offer up value in terms of experience, leadership and such like, all the better. We are in the process of building culture so I can definitely see the value in players like Grimes.

Previously, our last 10 players (apart from rookies and draftees) haven't offered up very much at all.

His biggest issue has always been that he gets knocked off the ball far too easily - and he's not suited to pin-pointing short passes. Certain players like Jack should be instructed to predominantly charge forward and kick the ball out in front of the forwards (who should be leading hard)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

So if people here don't rate Grimes why would they think he's got any trade value? Also, his new club would have to take up his current contract.

Grimes stays but unless he improves, he's a depth player. It's darn near impossible to even have 32 "AFL ready" players on a list so there are advantages to having players with a fair bit of go in them as depth players ... if these players also offer up value in terms of experience, leadership and such like, all the better. We are in the process of building culture so I can definitely see the value in players like Grimes.

Previously, our last 10 players (apart from rookies and draftees) haven't offered up very much at all.

His biggest issue has always been that he gets knocked off the ball far too easily - and he's not suited to pin-pointing short passes. Certain players like Jack should be instructed to predominantly charge forward and kick the ball out in front of the forwards (who should be leading hard)

This is it Macca, we may get nothing we may get something. The next 24 months is crucial. Jumbo mentioned in another thread that the Hawks are targeting Petracca. Clubs will also target Hogan and McDonald. We can't afford to loose anyone unless we've decided that we don't want them. Trengove is out of contract and years end and depending on his foot could be offered a 1 year contract on stuff all, I reckon he would of done quite nicely over the past few years. Watts and Grimes are a real concern, we face the very real possibility that both aren't getting a game in the back half of the year yet remain two of our highest earners. If a trade was made with either player we might have to make a part payment of their wage. We might be lucky and find their contracts were front loaded. But if it's the option of keeping players like that or drafting the next VB I know which one I'd take.
  • Like 1

This is it Macca, we may get nothing we may get something. The next 24 months is crucial. Jumbo mentioned in another thread that the Hawks are targeting Petracca. Clubs will also target Hogan and McDonald. We can't afford to loose anyone unless we've decided that we don't want them. Trengove is out of contract and years end and depending on his foot could be offered a 1 year contract on stuff all, I reckon he would of done quite nicely over the past few years. Watts and Grimes are a real concern, we face the very real possibility that both aren't getting a game in the back half of the year yet remain two of our highest earners. If a trade was made with either player we might have to make a part payment of their wage. We might be lucky and find their contracts were front loaded. But if it's the option of keeping players like that or drafting the next VB I know which one I'd take.

The glaring issue for me (and it's been a glaring issue for a number of years) is the inability of our established or experienced players to perform to a satisfactory level when the heat is on.

We can't expect to get a collective A grade output from Dawes, Watts, Pedersen, Howe, Garland, N Jones, Tyson, Vince, Lumumba & Dunn but we can expect a B grade level or a strong B (B+)

Yesterday, as a collective, we got a C grade output (and that is being kind) As a team, we let ourselves down badly again. Where is the gut running, playing in front, spread, teamwork, 1%ers, disposal skills etc?

Previously, it's been N Jones who has been able to stand apart on a consistent basis but he was basically on his own. This year, it's McDonald and also Salem who have put their hands up.

We need a lot more from our core group of established or experienced players - focusing on kids or fringe/depth players is looking away from where the real issue is. I expected a number of our established players to improve and get better this season but in many cases, they've regressed. They need to lift.

• Like 1

Would anyone else be tempted to offer Cross another year? even if he plays half the games and some at casey he sets a great example and is a fantasic leader

Absolutely! As long as he wants to i'd think he's a lock! Will be good, should see him through to 250 AFL games and 50 club games.

• Like 1

Would anyone else be tempted to offer Cross another year? even if he plays half the games and some at casey he sets a great example and is a fantasic leader

Definitely. I'd say he's been our best mature recruit of the past few years. He's a very professional footballer

• Like 1

Matt Jones makes it the fab 4!

Voss, Lappin, Black & Aker eat your heart out! :wacko:

So much list clogging, huh.

Terlich may have to have a word with Michael Evans about the ins and outs of getting delisted mid contract.

I cannot fathom how Terlich will be on the list next year.

The two year contract for Terlich at the end of last year (around the time he was on the fringes of the 22), is probably the most baffling move the club has made under Roos. He was never going to get games this year. Why sign him for two years?

Heard off a friend today the club was interested in putting an extension Infront of tommy Mac

And rightly so. Great move if true. Take him off the market it for the next five to six years. We really should be offering a long-term extension.

His biggest issue has always been that he gets knocked off the ball far too easily - and he's not suited to pin-pointing short passes. Certain players like Jack should be instructed to predominantly charge forward and kick the ball out in front of the forwards (who should be leading hard).

The trade world is a funny place. Carlton and Richmond have repeatedly gone after our fringe players. I think if Grimes was up for trade, someone would take a punt with him. But as you note, Macca, they've got to take up his contract. I wonder what sort of money that might be. I wonder whether we'd look at paying half his contract, just to free up a bit of cap and list space.

I certainly would. Even if we do pick up a star mid (unlikely) in FA or trading. He'll provide solid depth.

enough to be eligible and snag a future father/son maybe? ;)

032385-66fa1b8e-d5ad-11e3-bc32-3e4a8fd84

Unfortunately, I believe, it's 100 games.

Edited by AdamFarr

Many thought he would be doing that this year, but he keeps on doing the job.

• Like 2

Anyone know what the status is with Garland's contract?

IMO he has gone under the radar this year, as he has played on some good players when they've gone forward and done alright.

The next 24 months is crucial. Jumbo mentioned in another thread that the Hawks are targeting Petracca.

Where did he say that Al?

Stinking dorks. get your filthy hands off.

• 3 weeks later...

Jones 27,

Brayshaw 19, Petracca 19,

Dunn 27, Hogan 20, Viney 20, Lumumba 28, Kennedy-Harris20, Salem 19,

Trengove 22, Dawes 26, Grimes 25 (RFA), Watts 24 (RFA), Michie* 23, Vince 29, Tyson* 21, Kent 21, M Jones 27, Spencer 25 (UFA), T McDonald 22, Terlich 25, Jetta 25, Garlett 25, Stretch 18, Frost 21, Newton 22, Neal-Bullen 19, O McDonald 19

Jamar 31 (UFA), Garland 26 (RFA), McKenzie 24, Howe 24, Gawn 23, Fitzpatrick 23, Toumpas 21, Pedersen 28, Hunt 19, Cross 32, Bail 26, Riley 23, Harmes ® 19, King ® 19, Vandenberg ® 23, White ® 18

* = Require confirmation...

Those underlined are player I think are the top 11 paid players; RFA is determined by players being among these 11 (obviously this will be wrong but hopefully indicative).

Ages are from the 1st April 2015 - an arbitrary date fit for a fool...

Updated.

At this stage:

I would re-sign Garland, Toumpas, Pedersen, Gawn, and upgrade Vanders.

I would not re-sign Jamar, McKenzie, Hunt, Bail, and Fitzpatrick. I would trade Howe. That would open up 5 spots on the primary list.

I would give King a third year on the rookie list, and White a second.

Riley, Cross, and Harmes are wait-and-see prospects for the last half of the season. If all three were moved on that would be 7 spots on the PL and 2 on the RL.

• Like 7

Updated.

At this stage:

I would not re-sign Jamar, McKenzie, Hunt, Bail, and Fitzpatrick. I would trade Howe. That would open up 5 spots on the primary list.

Riley, Cross, and Harmes are wait-and-see prospects for the last half of the season. If all three were moved on that would be 7 spots on the PL and 2 on the RL.

Agree on all of the above.

Fish in a barrel stuff this EOS. Would love to see a survivor style send off for a view just to mix it up. Like send all the OOC players off to an island and come back in 39 days and whoever is still alive will be offered a new contract

Updated.

At this stage:

Hunts played 1 game in over 12 months. Give the kid a chance. Add him to the wait and see but Id much rather give him another year than Riley.

Hunts played 1 game in over 12 months. Give the kid a chance. Add him to the wait and see but Id much rather give him another year than Riley.

You can look at it the other way and say that he hasn't forced his way into the reckoning over the last 18 months...

Re-rookie players would be an option too.

Finding more players like Vanders should be the focus, not giving chances to kids.

We have enough talented youngsters.

It's an indictment on the list that a 23 year old NEAFL star can play two months worth of footy and cement himself as the 3rd or 4th best mid in our team.

So I would prefer to give Riley another than a youngster we will struggle to play.

Hope we sign up Gawn, would hate to see him at another club

If he does end up elsewhere, it will re-enforce a point I have been making for half a decade - ruckmen take so long to come on that drafting them before their early twenties is a wasted pick.

We have poured in at least 5 years of (sub-standard) development into Gawn, Fitzpatrick, and Spencer for little return.

And we are still talking about trading for a mature ruck to take over from Jamar - something we were talking about 5 years ago: http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23209-backing-jamar-thread-bumped-poll-disabled/?hl

• Like 2