• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Paul Roos is confident the future of Melbourne Demons is bright after successful AFL Draft

Whispering_Jack

Anybody else have a problem with the extremely negative tone of Ralph's questions? His technique is apparently to make rude, confrontational 'accusations' (for lack of a better word) and then ask for a response. I wish Roosy was a little more firm and defensive with interviewers who clearly don't have a lot of respect for the MFC.

Anybody else have a problem with the extremely negative tone of Ralph's questions? His technique is apparently to make rude, confrontational 'accusations' (for lack of a better word) and then ask for a response. I wish Roosy was a little more firm and defensive with interviewers who clearly don't have a lot of respect for the MFC.

I think we can be a bit too defensive here. Let's face it we are coming from a long way back and we will not regain respect until we start beating top sides. That is the bottom line. Before then, we will all have to continue to endure all the patronising crap that us demon supporters have had to endure for the last six or seven years.. I look forward to the day when we can return the favour, particularly to the Dons, Pies and Blues supporters who appear to be the worst, at least in my world!

Disagree entirely. If he were asked a lot of friendly questions, it would be an insult and indicative of a poor interviewer. The questions were fair and well answered. I particularly liked his take on the causes of our past coaching problems. Very insightful.

• Like 4

Disagree entirely. If he were asked a lot of friendly questions, it would be an insult and indicative of a poor interviewer. The questions were fair and well answered. I particularly liked his take on the causes of our past coaching problems. Very insightful.

Agree 'Jack', he asked a lot of the questions as supporters we would want asked. Many of the subjects have been on these boards for a long time now.

• Like 1

I like Ralph on a personal level but if you asked a 13 year old footy fan with hopes of a journalistic career to come up with questions to ask Paul Roos, I reckon they'd be very similar to those. He comes across as lazy and someone who easily buys into stigma and cliches.

"Jesse Hogan, saviour or not? Will you reign in Lumumba? Why all the failed high draft picks? Where's Jack Watts at?"

It's like he's not even trying.

Also, Melbourne fans aren't the only ones who smell a rat over Clark's exit from the club, Ralphy.

• Like 1

I like Ralph on a personal level but if you asked a 13 year old footy fan with hopes of a journalistic career to come up with questions to ask Paul Roos, I reckon they'd be very similar to those. He comes across as lazy and someone who easily buys into stigma and cliches.

"Jesse Hogan, saviour or not? Will you reign in Lumumba? Why all the failed high draft picks? Where's Jack Watts at?"

It's like he's not even trying.

Also, Melbourne fans aren't the only ones who smell a rat over Clark's exit from the club, Ralphy.

We're the only ones that care about it though 'P-man', everyone else has moved on. From a personal point of view I wasn't impressed that Clark used depression to push his own agenda.

We're the only ones that care about it though 'P-man', everyone else has moved on. From a personal point of view I wasn't impressed that Clark used depression to push his own agenda.

They might move on because it's not their club, but thinking that Clark did the dirty on the club is hardly an opinion confined to our supporters.

For the record, drafts like the one we just had help in moving on from Clark pretty quickly. But is it "fair" to feel aggrieved? Of course it is, and I doubt many people other than one eyed Cats fans would disagree.

Edited by P-man

"You just snared two star midfielders in Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw. Finally your midfield actually has some players. Some kind of relief?"

That's his FIRST bloody 'question'. There's a difference between 'fair and honest' and 'condescending, obnoxious belittlement'. Nathan Jones says hi BTW, the bloke who has just won three blueys

• Like 5

I liked it. I also liked Roos little dig at Evans.

Pelchen rated our draft period pretty highly, behind only Brisbane & Gold Coast. I've enjoyed his content on AFL.com, found it pretty insightful:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-03/pelchens-analysis?utm_medium=RSS

Melbourne

The Demons lost two talented players in the prime of their careers during the trade/free agency period – namely James Frawley and Mitch Clark – but went part way towards replacing them with the recruitment of Heritier Lumumba, Jeff Garlett and Sam Frost. It was their draft returns that really impressed with Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw, Billy Stretch and Alex Neal-Bullen representing a large portion of the next generation of Melbourne midfielders. An extremely positive outcome.
2014 Trade/Draft Period Rating: B+

Pelchen rated our draft period pretty highly, behind only Brisbane & Gold Coast. I've enjoyed his content on AFL.com, found it pretty insightful:

Melbourne

The Demons lost two talented players in the prime of their careers during the trade/free agency period – namely James Frawley and Mitch Clark – but went part way towards replacing them with the recruitment of Heritier Lumumba, Jeff Garlett and Sam Frost. It was their draft returns that really impressed with Christian Petracca, Angus Brayshaw, Billy Stretch and Alex Neal-Bullen representing a large portion of the next generation of Melbourne midfielders. An extremely positive outcome.

I prefer to beleive the other commentator who rated us A+ as it was a perfect result as it could be (including the subsequent rookie draft)!

• Like 1

Melbourne

I reckon he has gone a bit soft on a few clubs in his ratings 'Chaser', can't upset the future boss.

• Like 3

Think Roos plays media folk like a Stradivarius. Been down the track a million times, cant recall him being caught and gives plenty back in a veiled way. Also not frightened to tell it the way he sees it. Free Agency and player movement for example. Heard him say "It is what it is" and then he seems to work his way around it with decent planning. The Frawley movement was one thing, overlaying skilful drafting on the back of it for a win is another. Linking/grouping of players brings not only a stronger culture and competitiveness it also makes it no easier for the predator clubs. Don't think Roos is any dill.

• Like 1

Those questions reflect a perception held by some in the football community of MFC and some players.

It is exactly the sort of questions Roos would want so he can have a go at proving those perceptions wrong.

In the end on field actions will hopefully make these types of questions redundant.

• Like 1

I thought he let them off the hook, reckon they are in for a world of pain.

I agree. They've slightly rectified it in the last trade draft period, but the age profile of that list is in a pretty terrible state. 11 players over 27 and they're nowhere near contending. I'll give them 3 potentially high quality players amongst the under 23's in Menzel, Cripps and Jaksch, and Menzel's the only one that's shown anything at senior AFL level.

• Like 1

I agree. They've slightly rectified it in the last trade draft period, but the age profile of that list is in a pretty terrible state. 11 players over 27 and they're nowhere near contending. I'll give them 3 potentially high quality players amongst the under 23's in Menzel, Cripps and Jaksch, and Menzel's the only one that's shown anything at senior AFL level.

I reckon the jury is still out on Jaksch...

• Like 4

I loved his comment about the Bulldogs and McCartney. "They were on the right track". I get the sense that Roos' deliberate, slow 3-5 year evolution at the Dees is significantly similar to what was happening at the Bulldogs. As soon as he was sacked Rood swooped because the philosophy of club and list rebuild is so much alike.

I am neither here nor there about John Ralph but I love Roos' direct answers. He might be a new age sensitive kinda bloke but underneath that he is aggressive, determined and steel minded.

I was not a real Mark Neeld fan either but it was great to hear Roos be so open about him. He was a tough coach in the wrong place at the wrong time. McCartney the same.

• Like 4