Read my lips says Josh Mahoney

Whispering_Jack

Because those 3 will all be banging down on our door? For one year under Paul Roos and an unknown future with Goodwin?

This was the key trade period that we desperately needed to get in the personnel to get us the hell off the bottom, and give us some hope leading into Roos' final year. If we end up bottom 2 again, we will be the most unattractive team in the league.

I highly doubt two years under Roos instead of one would be the difference between a gun player with 6+ years left signing or not mate.

Edited by Nasher

I agree it's not ideal, but i'd rather have him around the club come draft time and over the entire draft night - start of season, than if he were to stay during the entire trade period. He would have told all who needed to know at the club what he wanted to do, and as previously stated would be on speed dial if need be.

Plus, better to have a coach who is away than no coach at all like a GC or Bulldogs, even if they just traded in last year's #1 pick (and gave up the farm for both him and part of Griffen's salary.

Yeah fair point. Just not the best look. As stupid as it sounds I bet Doggies supporters are feeling more hope than I am right now, even if there's no money left in the kitty for the next 7 years. At least they got who they wanted.

• Like 1

Yeah fair point. Just not the best look. As stupid as it sounds I bet Doggies supporters are feeling more hope than I am right now, even if there's no money left in the kitty for the next 7 years. At least they got who they wanted.

Who says it's going to end up like a fairy tale, after all it happened to us with Mitch Clark.

Oh wait......................MFCSS :(

• Like 1

But you can bet if it was the MFC getting who we wanted, half the people on this forum would be condemning the club for putting too many expensive eggs in one basket.

• Like 2

But you can bet if it was the MFC getting who we wanted, half the people on this forum would be condemning the club for putting too many expensive eggs in one basket.

I don't think anyone would be complaining if we got Kennedy or Dangerfield in exchange for speculative draft picks that could up like every other early draft pick we've had.

Edited by Lamashtu

I don't think anyone would be complaining if we got Kennedy or Dangerfield in exchange for speculative draft picks that could up like every other early draft pick we've had.

We were never going to get either player. The Kennedy one came from nowhere and was refuted by everyone, and the Crows emphatically put the Dangerfield one to rest very, very quickly. There were no big fish out there who were willing to come back to Victoria, or players clubs were willing to give up. If the players aren't there then we can do nothing about it.

The doggies are the only lowly side that will struggle next year. Brisbane just got two a or b+ graders.

No we will struggle, not them. Their midfield is arguably top 5 in the comp, even without Griffen. Young but talented. Getting Boyd filled an urgent need for them. We needed an experienced mid, we didn't get one. Dogs to definately finish above us next season.

• Like 3

I think you'd be wrong - there were people complaining about that by the truckload when they were the rumours.

You can't recall reading the word "overs" on the odd occasion recently?

• Like 6

No we will struggle, not them. Their midfield is arguably top 5 in the comp, even without Griffen. Young but talented. Getting Boyd filled an urgent need for them. We needed an experienced mid, we didn't get one. Dogs to definately finish above us next season.

New Coach ,New Captain,dud board.

They are in turmoil as are Collingwood and Adelaide.

Next year's free agent class is already being supremely overrated.

Yes, you have the likes of Dangerfield, Hawkins, Cotchin and Walker at the top... Let's be honest though, even IF they choose to leave their respective clubs (Danger the only one who I think will contemplate leaving), would they really want to come to us?

After that small group at the top, you're left with NQR's or 30+ players. I wouldn't be holding out too much hope.

The doggies are the only lowly side that will struggle next year. Brisbane just got two a or b+ graders.

Doggies have a fair crop of young talent developing and have now added a highly talented key forward to that mix.

Fairly attractive place to be for a coach.

Next year's free agent class is already being supremely overrated.

Yes, you have the likes of Dangerfield, Hawkins, Cotchin and Walker at the top... Let's be honest though, even IF they choose to leave their respective clubs (Danger the only one who I think will contemplate leaving), would they really want to come to us?

After that small group at the top, you're left with NQR's or 30+ players. I wouldn't be holding out too much hope.

Our biggest FA signing next year will be our own skipper. Need to worry about our own backyard before we try and pillage someone else's. North learned that the hard way today!

• Like 3

Our biggest FA signing next year will be our own skipper. Need to worry about our own backyard before we try and pillage someone else's. North learned that the hard way today!

Spot on. Which is why I was such an advocate of trading our top picks.

I'm sure Mahoney and co have been working their backsides off behind the scenes but IMO taking 2, 3 and 23 to the draft is a massive fail. Roos himself said Melbourne supporters can't wait much longer, and he's right.

We better nail these picks. History would suggest the chances of BOTH 2 and 3 becoming superstars down the track are slim.

At the moment, a 17th or 18th placed finish beckons next year. I'm happy with Garlett and Lumumba, while Hogan should help. But that's not nearly enough to make up ground on our rivals, most of whom have strengthened their lists this week.

• Like 4

Really disappointed that the club hasn't managed to snare a quality midfielder this trade period. It means we're one injury away to Jones/Vince/Tyson and our midfield will be shot.

Those three are by far our best mids, how Cross will hold up is anyone's guess and now there won't be a resurgent Trengove to build some depth. This means we are either relying on Viney, Salem and Toumpas to significantly step up in 2015 or continue to rely on the likes of Matt Jones, Bail etc which will result in a season similiar to 2014.

Lamumba and Garlett may help with breaking the lines but we desperately needed another ready made midfielder to allow the younger kids time to develop. As it stands I'm feeling really gloomy thinking about next year when usually this is the time of year I convince myself that we're on the way up.

Edited by Mallee Bull
  • Like 4

Really disappointed that the club hasn't managed to snare a quality midfielder this trade period. It means we're one injury away to Jones/Vince/Tyson and our midfield will be shot.

Those three are by far our best mids, how Cross will hold up is anyone's guess and now there won't be a resurgent Trengove to build some depth. This means we are either relying on Viney, Salem and Toumpas to significantly step up in 2015 or continue to rely on the likes of Matt Jones, Bail etc which will result in a season similiar to 2014.

Lamumba and Garlett may help with breaking the lines but we desperately needed another ready made midfielder to allow the younger kids time to develop. As it stands I'm feeling really gloomy thinking about next year when usually this is the time of year I convince myself that we're on the way up.

Hopefully tomorrow we can pull a rabbit out of a hat with pick 23, idk.

• Like 1

I just feel that landing one big fish would make all the difference and make Melbourne into a destination club pretty quickly.

It's getting that first star to make the leap of faith. My fingers are still crossed for tomorrow.

watch this space. ducks are already in a row with a willing participant.

Of course 5 other clubs will pony up the big cash and we'll be in a shootout.

Yeah, he might be talking positively now, but unless we dramatically improve, there's absolutely no way he'd come to a bottom 4 club. If we get out of the bottom 4 and win 7 or 8 games, we won't be laughed scoffed at next year when we sidle up again.

I'm ok with where we are at. Its a situation where we trade picks, and people will say are we ever going to back ourselves in and develop good talent, or we don't and people say we get no where with young talent.

Obviously Pick 3 for a player and a another lower first round selection is a template that worked last year, but if the player is not there, then keep the picks, get an impact player straight away, Brayshaw and / or Petracca can be these players.

A lot of talk, a lot of so called information, I said last week we were keeping the picks and I believed it as the person works at the club. But for everyone that believes what I say, there are others that believe Chook or GNF or other posters, but to quote the football saying of 2014.. it is what it is.

I don't really care what people say, particularly if we'd secured Dangerfield. What if this year's crop of draftees aren't that special? It won't matter how much development we put into them.

Awesome, the Dangerfield thread will be 300 pages by this time next year.

At least binman can keep his avatar. :P