Time to Flick Casey Scorps

picket fence

Where,s the money?????????????

Keep in mind its not as though we'd have to suddenly need to find ALL of whatever amount as the MFC is coughing up money to Casey already and there's a cost to field our blokes in the VFL already.

We'd effectively pay a premium over existing costs to go it alone but I think it would be well worth it. Im sure if the Woofers can find a way to do it we can.

• Like 1

the main idea of going to Casey is to grow our support base & to diversify it. We have something of a Mono-culture base. but the way we've gone about it, is turning people OFF us.

the first thing we did was to build a seperate & exclusive pavilion, for Demons staff & family, & not for supporters. And not Casey people. Only the exclusive bretheren to go up there.

This is definately NOT the way to win hearts & minds.

I think it was; however it shouldn't have been. The main idea really needed and still needs to be developing players for the overall main idea...winning games of AFL footy.

This is the problem with the past regime in that they were not focussed on the main game.

I don't think you have it quite right there. The facilities were built and the ground was first used when the Casey Scorpions were in an an alignment with St. Kilda. Melbourne came along a few years later.

no, the extension you were so disappointed with, when we saw the finished product. how it was seperated from the grand stand, etc. the theme was set shown up imo, from that design.

However going forward if we seperated from the 'scorps' it could work well.

Edited by dee-luded

I think it was; however it shouldn't have been. The main idea really needed and still needs to be developing players for the overall main idea...winning games of AFL footy.

This is the problem with the past regime in that they were not focussed on the main game.

the idea of developing our young players into solid AFL players isn't new rjay. it's been around a little while. its just that we've had the wrong people from the top down, making wrong decisions, always on the cheap.

we have to get into investing in our future, not going deeper into our shells.

the biggest character weakness of our club is inhibition. too conservative to be winners. & this then rubs off onto our players.

going out to Casey is a good idea to broaden our fan bases demographics. we should own Sth-East Vic. playing possum out there won't cut-it

We have a goldmine in our laps to grow & develop, but we are thinking small, yet again. lets not take any chances, we may muck it up !!!

the idea of developing our young players into solid AFL players isn't new rjay. it's been around a little while. its just that we've had the wrong people from the top down, making wrong decisions, always on the cheap.

the biggest character weakness of our club is inhibition. too conservative to be winners. & this then rubs off onto our players.

going out to Casey is a good idea to broaden our fan bases demographics. we should own Sth-East Vic. playing possum out there won't cut-it

We have a goldmine in our laps to grow & develop, but we are thinking small, yet again. lets not take any chances, we may muck it up !!!

The days of demographic association are long long gone, example being that people who live in Collingwood may follow any number of teams. Do people who live in St. Kilda follow St. Kilda? Possibly the team with strongest demographic alliance is Geelong. For the Municipality of Casey to which Casey Fields in in Cranbourne would have no more or less Melbourne Supporters than anywhere else. So I terms of associating a suburb with League Footy alliance is not as large a factor as in bygone days.The Casey alignment is no better or worse than the Sandringham alignment!

Reality is I don't think that the alignment has worked for a period of time. Does or has any AFL/ VFL Alignment?? The mechanics of how much we inter associate with the Scorpions is similar to an arranged marriage!

Philosophical disagreements will always sooner or later come to the surface.

Two examples are:

1 The Brendan Fevola fiasco! I say Fiasco because the MFC administration of the time was livid with the possible compromise of the development of our players just so he could play.

2 The pulling of our players time and again out of finals campaigns really used to rub Casey Scorps admin up the wrong way.

There are probably many other "Issues" which may well have come to light over the journey.

I think for the money is costs to fund the alignment surely it's I our best interests to field a stand alone entity where we have total control over playing personel, staff and ground venue. Anyway you cut it I don't care how much of a growing area it is people will not support a Casey Scorps/ Melbourne footy club alignment if the ground is not comfortable and its too far away. Gate receipts will tell you that!

What a Melbourne supporter would embrace I feel is a team of Melbourne reserves playing in a central location within close proximity to the MCG

Surely we can concoct a deal with Richmond to use the Punt rd oval, and have the Melbourne administration lobby the AFL/ VFL TO Play Saturday,/ Sunday Curtain raisers at Punt Rd at 11.00 o clock then briskwalk to the "G" to see main game.

Somewhere somehow, we have done it before lets find the money and becpme totally professional about our player development!

I agree If the Doggies can do it, so can we!!

Edited by picket fence

It's a pity the previous admin didn't remember that 'dee-luded'.

The days of demographic association are long long gone, example being that people who live in Collingwood may follow any number of teams. Do people who live in St. Kilda follow St. Kilda? Possibly the team with strongest demographic alliance is Geelong. For the Municipality of Casey to which Casey Fields in in Cranbourne would have no more or less Melbourne Supporters than anywhere else. So I terms of associating a suburb with League Footy alliance is not as large a factor as in bygone days.The Casey alignment is no better or worse than the Sandringham alignment!

Reality is I don't think that the alignment has worked for a period of time. Does or has any AFL/ VFL Alignment?? The mechanics of how much we inter associate with the Scorpions is similar to an arranged marriage!

Two examples are:

1 The Brendan Fevola fiasco! I say Fiasco because the MFC administration of the time was livid with the possible compromise of the development of our players just so he could play.

2 The pulling of our players time and again out of finals campaigns really used to rub Casey Scorps admin up the wrong way.

There are probably many other "Issues" which may well have come to light over the journey.

I think for the money is costs to fund the alignment surely it's I our best interests to field a stand alone entity where we have total control over playing personel, staff and ground venue. Anyway you cut it I don't care how much of a growing area it is people will not support a Casey Scorps/ Melbourne footy club alignment if the ground is not comfortable and its too far away. Gate receipts will tell you that!

What a Melbourne supporter would embrace I feel is a team of Melbourne reserves playing in a central location within close proximity to the MCG

Surely we can concoct a deal with Richmond to use the Punt rd oval, and have the Melbourne administration lobby the AFL/ VFL TO Play Saturday,/ Sunday Curtain raisers at Punt Rd at 11.00 o clock then briskwalk to the "G" to see main game.

Somewhere somehow, we have done it before lets find the money and becpme totally professional about our player development!

by demographics, I mean sociology, financial, cultural, etc. not about geography so much. Although we should use the region as our geographic target to win hearts & minds.

But that needs Us to take the Casey & the Sth-East Vic' into our hearts, & treat them as we would a new member of our own family. and it ,means we have to respect them & allow our players to play & win finals matches. Just as we did with Slug Jordan.

We must do things very differently, than has been done over the last 5 Years.

Two examples are:

1. I can assure you that many people living in Collingwood do actually go for Collingwood

2. Hawks/Box Hill alllignment seems to work

Instead of creating a reserves team, how about we use the money you magically think we have to develop the Casey team. Surely it would cost less for us to make a Casey team competitive than to create our own reserves side along with a new stadium. For the extra money we could use it to increase the influence that MFC has on Casey with respect to coaches and players. We signed a 30 year agreement, it's barely been 5.

1. I can assure you that many people living in Collingwood do actually go for Collingwood

Instead of creating a reserves team, how about we use the money you magically think we have to develop the Casey team. Surely it would cost less for us to make a Casey team competitive than to create our own reserves side along with a new stadium. For the extra money we could use it to increase the influence that MFC has on Casey with respect to coaches and players. We signed a 30 year agreement, it's barely been 5.

Way to sensible Deefiant.

Then by your opinion is this alignment working or not?

And if it isn't why not?

Finally what type of changes( using the cash instead of going it alone) need to be made and why hasn't this occurred?

I'll give you a hint, Both entities want their cake and eat it to!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

A couple of things.

As for the Dogs, they have their own groudn to play VFL games out of, we don't.

As for playing games out of Punt Road, as has been mentioned elsewhere, what gives you the idea Richmond would allow it? And even if they did, they'd likely charge us an arm & leg for it, as who's to say they might want to use their own facilities for recovery or any number of things on days our reserves side may be fixtured to play down there?

If you want to play games around the city Vic Park's your more likely venue, given it's owned by city of Yarra and not anotehr AFL team.

We've found our money to buy Roos and his assistants, don't think there's to much left at the moment to splurg on a stand alone team. I'm expecting us to be at Casey for at least a few more years yet.

You make it sound like we wouldn't be allowed to use the Casey Fields ground facilities in a sharing arrangement, via the Casey council. I doubt that.

A couple of things.

As for the Dogs, they have their own groudn to play VFL games out of, we don't.

As for playing games out of Punt Road, as has been mentioned elsewhere, what gives you the idea Richmond would allow it? And even if they did, they'd likely charge us an arm & leg for it, as who's to say they might want to use their own facilities for recovery or any number of things on days our reserves side may be fixtured to play down there?

If you want to play games around the city Vic Park's your more likely venue, given it's owned by city of Yarra and not anotehr AFL team.

We've found our money to buy Roos and his assistants, don't think there's to much left at the moment to splurg on a stand alone team. I'm expecting us to be at Casey for at least a few more years yet.

again another who's suggesting a move of grounds when I don't hear that proposal at all. I want us to stay in Casey but as a seperate Identity, as ourselves, the Demons.