Queens Birthday - Blockbuster Coming Soon

Grapeviney

No, I'm not referring to this week's game, but a time in the not too distant future when we're nearer the top of the ladder and the Queens Birthday game will once again be the genuine match of the round blockbuster it's been in years gone by.

I don't need the media to validate what I'm thinking but it was nice to hear the 6PR radio guys talking about next week's game tonight, saying it's now shaping up as a really good contest and that Melbourne are in with a serious chance.

I long for the day when we come into the QB game with an 8-2 or 9-1 record and the 'G is jammed with 80,000 fans, at least half of them in the mighty red and blue.

The sooner that day arrives, the stronger our grip gets on retaining this important fixture, and the greater the chance we have of securing similar top-billing games in the future.

• Like 4

I hate the build up for this game. Cannot stand it.

We all rah-rah and then some Collingwood nuffie says 'they'll be up for this; it's their Grand Final.'

Like we play in a different effing league!

Well, not anymore. It's just another game, another chance to improve, another chance to get a win.

I would gladly throw this game to whoever if we had a fair and equitable draw.

So I hope the Bandwagoners see a good show - we need them to jump on board.

But it's just another game to me.

The Grand Final is our Grand Final.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 7

After watching our game with Port I am sure Eddie and Bucks are worried and have a list of excuses already lined up for when they embarrassingly lose to a side like Melbourne.

Hate the build-up? Well, I guess that's your bad luck. You think Geelong and Hawthorn supporters don't get pumped for Easter Monday? Or Anzac Day for Pies and Dons? Dreamtime etc

Outside of finals, these are the premier fixtures of the draw. Why you wouldn't want to retain it, and get a fair and equitable draw thrown in for good measure, is beyond me.

That's what the good sides demand and get.

• Like 7

We all rah-rah and then some Collingwood nuffie says 'they'll be up for this; it's their Grand Final.'

Like we play in a different effing league!

Well, not anymore. It's just another game, another chance to improve, another chance to get a win.

So I hope the Bandwagoners see a good show - we need them to jump on board.

that annoys me as well. 'its their grand final'. so smug, hate it.

looking forward to a good contest.

Hate the build-up? Well, I guess that's your bad luck. You think Geelong and Hawthorn supporters don't get pumped for Easter Monday? Or Anzac Day for Pies and Dons? Dreamtime etc

Outside of finals, these are the premier fixtures of the draw. Why you wouldn't to retain it, and get a fair and equitable draw thrown in for good measure, is beyond me.

Spot on. It is a big game, always will be, and I love the build up to it. Moreso this year with it looking like a real contest. I have some very nervous Pies mates texting me.

Many consider this rivalry to be long dead, but there's life in the old girl yet, and the next instalment could be almost as good as the original.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if there's not >60,000 next Monday.

Edited by McQueen

Did you want to clarify this? Are you expecting fewer or more than 60,000? I've read it three times and still don't know what you mean.

Cheers. Fat fingers on iPhone.

• Like 1

What does that even mean? The old double negative

Lol. Made a meal of it.

I would be surprised if there's not >60,000 next Monday.

I think it'll be 65,000-70,000. I'll be in LA for work but my girlfriend (only been in the country for 5 years!), mum and two sisters are all going. I've turned the girlfriend into a bonafide Demon! That's an extra 5 that would not have even contemplated going the past 5 years (well, my girlfriend would have come had I been in the country, I always miss QB because I'm always away for that weekend). I'm sure there are more bandwagon fans and members that normally stayed away, especially in 2012 and ESPECIALLY last year when the team was playing its worst football in 20-odd years. Still, they got 50,000+ last year, mostly Pies fans going by the replay, but I'd expect an extra 10-15k Melbourne fans this year, surely! Playing too good a brand of football to miss the club's biggest match of the season.

66,768 is my bet.

EDIT: My God, they were bad last year:

Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 1

Too bloody right! A Pies supporter mate used this line for years and years, eventually I just said to him "I was at the Grand Final in 2000 … they're pretty [censored] different, you [censored]." Did the trick, he hasn't said it since.

• Like 1

Outside of finals, these are the premier fixtures of the draw. Why you wouldn't to retain it, and get a fair and equitable draw thrown in for good measure, is beyond me.

Good sides demand and get their inequitable draw because of their following and the AFL's desire to dominate statistically with Gate receipts and TV exposure.

I am not advocating giving up QB on a promise [snarky tone].

If we are to give it up it will be when they are all given up and the 'Prime Time' games Friday night, Sat afternoon, Sat night, and Public Holiday games are equally distributed.

We have 11 of our 21 games in these slots and 6 of them home games - 2 of which we have had to sell to the NT to make money from (quite a bit btw) so we have two Sat night games against Sydney and WB, one Sat afternoon game against Geelong, and the QB game to sell our product to potential members (and reluctant members) in 'Prime Time' and that's it.

Collingwood have 11 'Prime Time' games in Melbourne with 6 of those being home games (7 Friday Night/Public Holiday games).

Essendon have 13 'Prime Time' games in Melbourne with 9 being home games (7 Friday Night/Public Holiday games).

Melbourne have 8 'Prime Time' games in Melbourne with 4 being home games (1 Friday Night/Public Holiday games).

Spot on. It is a big game, always will be, and I love the build up to it. Moreso this year with it looking like a real contest. I have some very nervous Pies mates texting me.

Many consider this rivalry to be long dead, but there's life in the old girl yet, and the next instalment could be almost as good as the original.

I am not advocating giving up QB on a promise [snarky tone].

If we are to give it up it will be when they are all given up and the 'Prime Time' games Friday night, Sat afternoon, Sat night, and Public Holiday games are equally distributed.

I don't know why you'd want to give it up at all.

The prime time games are never going to be equally distributed, and nor should they be.

Who wants to watch North play GWS in front of 7000 people on a Friday night ?

Who would have wanted to watch Melbourne 2013 vs anyone on a Friday night?

TV ratings and gate receipts are always going to be the key drivers in scheduling / the fixture, so the best thing we can do is become one of the 'strong clubs' that benefits from this reality.

• Like 1

I think it'll be 65,000-70,000. I'll be in LA for work but my girlfriend (only been in the country for 5 years!), mum and two sisters are all going. I've turned the girlfriend into a bonafide Demon! That's an extra 5 that would not have even contemplated going the past 5 years (well, my girlfriend would have come had I been in the country, I always miss QB because I'm always away for that weekend). I'm sure there are more bandwagon fans and members that normally stayed away, especially in 2012 and ESPECIALLY last year when the team was playing its worst football in 20-odd years. Still, they got 50,000+ last year, mostly Pies fans going by the replay, but I'd expect an extra 10-15k Melbourne fans this year, surely! Playing too good a brand of football to miss the club's biggest match of the season.

66,768 is my bet.

EDIT: My God, they were bad last year:

That was 4 mins of my life I will never get back!

Il just add it onto the last 7 years.

I am predicting a crowd of 72,000

Edited by Young Dee

I have an acquaintance who is a mad (well you sort of have to be) Collingwood supporter.

He somehow things we are their bogey team and we will always beat them on QB. Because of this he won’t answer calls or messages for this week from me nor will he engage in any heckling because of the chance that we beat them

Its the best build up to a game. I don’t have to put up with his nonsense

I hope he is in a corner freaking out this year after our season so far.

• Like 2

I hope the filth see this as their grand final as it gives us a much better chance of winning.

• Like 2

The prime time games are never going to be equally distributed, and nor should they be.

TV ratings and gate receipts are always going to be the key drivers in scheduling / the fixture, so the best thing we can do is become one of the 'strong clubs' that benefits from this reality.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy isn't it?

How can the small teams grow and get out of its poor brother state if you don't treat them equally?

Is maximising crowds what we want to do?

Or is building up lower clubs something worth considering?

We all want a fair and equitable league. The draw is apart of why it isn't an even league and it is apart of fixing the inequity.

Unfortunately l will be making my way back from the States (Maui) so will miss it. My mates will arrive back in time but l refused to fly JetStar! I cannot see why we cannot get 80,000 there on Monday and 100,000 next year when we are serious contenders!

that annoys me as well. 'its their grand final'. so smug, hate it.

looking forward to a good contest.

Yep first we have to put up with the snow jokes and the opening of the season, then we hear Collingwood players say its our grand final and also didn't Collingwood used to tell by our training weather they would win or not. Eddie again will say we give them the game every year and make money for them. Yes Ed we appreciate it.

But it doesn't help when a few years ago an ex player who is now at Brisbane went on footy classified and said yeah its our Grand final.

I hope this time its our fans that turn up and make the noise. In the past the crowds have been ok but that's because its been bolstered by pies fans. Lets get a massive turn out Monday. I cant wait for it.

Yep first we have to put up with the snow jokes and the opening of the season, then we hear Collingwood players say its our grand final and also didn't Collingwood used to tell by our training weather they would win or not. Eddie again will say we give them the game every year and make money for them. Yes Ed we appreciate it.

But it doesn't help when a few years ago an ex player who is now at Brisbane went on footy classified and said yeah its our Grand final.

I hope this time its our fans that turn up and make the noise. In the past the crowds have been ok but that's because its been bolstered by pies fans. Lets get a massive turn out Monday. I cant wait for it.

We got decent crowds when we were making finals in 2004-06 and in one of those years in particular (might have been 06?) the crowd was at least a 50/50 split and I reckon we may have even had more supporters there than them that day.

Melbourne have to develop some blockbuster type games of their own, like the Field of Women match against the Doggies; if we could get 45,000 plus to that game every year it would be double the number expected to a normal Dees v Dogs game.

We might even be able to have a blockbuster type game against Richmond as the original tenants of the G, or Sydney on ANZAC day or eve.

There are many opportunities, even build the Melbourne v Port game in Alice.

We could, of course have an annual Kruezer cup against Carlton.

• Like 2