• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The GW$ Debacle...

Lift your game Stuie - I don't have to raise a sweat anymore.

"We are also a not for profit, community and cultural organization that must take a leadership role in the community" Andrew Demetriou, AMSA 2013 Sports Leadership Awards.

Post a link so it's in context BBO. Especially since he's saying "We are also...."

"We are also a not for profit, community and cultural organization that must take a leadership role in the community" Andrew Demetriou, AMSA 2013 Sports Leadership Awards.

"The report revealed the AFL recorded a net profit of $16.6 million in 2013, up by $9.9 million on 2012, while its revenue increased by $18 million, or 4 per cent on 2012's $428 million."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-04/afls-446m-record

"Figures released yesterday show the AFL turned a profit of $6.7 million in 2012 and enjoyed record revenues of $425 million."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-posts/story-e6frf9jf-1226599646463

For the sake of context, here's the sentence immediately preceding your quote:

"The reality is that we are, and need to be, more than just a sporting competition or a business."

Post a link so it's in context BBO. Especially since he's saying "We are also...."

being not for profit doesnt stop you making one

Here's the whole speech Stu old mate. No context issues. But please ponder Bbub's comment as well.

Andrew Demetriou, Chief Executive Officer AFL: Introduction AMSA 2013 Sports Leadership Award

I want to firstly thank the migration council for inviting me to speak this evening. It really is a pleasure to be here tonight for an event that is focused on recognising those individuals and organisations that have embraced diversity and seek to promote the value of new migrants throughout the community. As the son of migrants I know the value of building a connection with community. Growing up in the back of my parents fish ‘n chip shop in the multi-cultural suburb of Coburg in Melbourne, my connection to the community as a child was built around sport. Whether we were Greeks, Italians, Turks, Maltese or Australians, sport was something that brought kids in the neighborhood together. My three brothers and I spent countless hours kicking a battered old football around our local Woolworths car park. It was brutal on your knees but it didn’t stop us, and plenty of other kids in the neighborhood, from coming together with a common purpose. Sport, and in particular football, was a great leveler and helped us develop friendships and seek new opportunities. Sport was the catalyst for acceptance and gave me a true sense of community. A sense of belonging. It also gave me the sort of opportunities my parents could only dream of when they left Cyprus in the hope of giving their children and their children’s children a better life. My own upbringing also helped shape the values I’ve carried with me right throughout my life and now in my role as CEO of the AFL. It was very clear to me from an early stage that sport has the capacity to tear down barriers and engage every segment of the community. Someone once asked me how I would describe our game. I like to think of Australian football as a great democratizer. A game for anyone and everyone. A game that is inclusive, accessible and affordable. A game that does not discriminate. Footy, and sport more broadly, is a great meeting place. Every week it brings diverse groups of people together from across the community. People from a range of backgrounds but with a common passion for the game. As far as Australian football is concerned, people don’t come to our game because they want to impose their values on it. They come to our game because of its values. I’m regularly reminded of that each time we host newly arrived migrants at AFL matches around the country. We often hear them remark how they’ve never felt more connected to the community and Australian culture than when they’ve sat among the Sydney Swans faithful, or the Port Adelaide die-hards. And around the country there are countless new migrants picking up a football in the playground and immediately forging a bond with those around them. The fact many of them don’t speak a word of English doesn’t matter. They are communicating in a language just as powerful as English, or Mandarin or Arabic. The language of sport, and in many cases, Australian football. And for a large number, it is a connection that remains for life. A bond that provides opportunities previously unimagined. Those looking for evidence need only look as far as AFL club North Melbourne and their young Sudanese-born player Majak Daw. After fleeing war-torn Sudan almost a decade ago, Majak and his eight brothers and sisters eventually settled in Melbourne where his first friendship was made over a Sherrin football. When Majak enjoyed a spectacular AFL debut recently, there was a genuine sense of pride and achievement, not just throughout the AFL community but in the Sudanese community as well. It is young men like this that bring more to the game than just their on-field talent. Men and women from every conceivable background that enrich the culture of our game. They’re bringing their cultures into the AFL and helping us understand the similarities and differences. As much as football is making a difference in their communities, these people are making a difference in ours. And while Majak may be the AFL’s first Sudanese-born player, I guarantee you he won’t be the last. Some see the AFL as simply a sport. Others see it as simply a big business. The reality is that we are, and need to be, more than just a sporting competition or a business. We are also a not for profit, community and cultural organization that must take a leadership role in the community. We believe the success of Australian football is measured by our connection with the community. And if we are to truly be a responsible leader and grow our game, we need to constantly hold a mirror to ourselves and make sure we are reflecting the community around us. That is why we have implemented a host of programs that directly relate to the wider issues facing the community. We have been intent on fostering a safe and welcoming game that affords everyone the same opportunities, regardless of background. We have been unwavering in our endeavours across issues such as racial and religious vilification, violence against women and multi-culturalism. That is why Australia Post have joined us in partnership to establish a multi-cultural ambassadors pathway program that sees AFL role models from countries including Nigeria, Fiji, Italy, Lebanon, Brazil and Egypt. We are proud of the insight and cultural guidance these players provide our industry. Quite simply we would be poorer without their presence. Each year the AFL celebrates ‘One Game, Many Cultures’ through Multi-Cultural Round. This is an opportunity for 20,000 people from migrant families to come together as one at an AFL game. It acknowledges the role multicultural communities have played in our game and importantly it encourages new communities to enjoy our game as supporters, players and administrators in the future. The same can be said for the Unity Cup, an event that brings together a range of culturally and linguistically diverse communities through a mutual appreciation of Australian football. We’ve witnessed some remarkable acts of inclusion and understanding through the Unity Cup. Last year’s event comprised of teams from Melbourne’s Muslim, Jewish and Indigenous communities with one team made up of players from Muslim and Jewish backgrounds. We are also proud of the fact that the outstanding athleticism and leadership of many Indigenous AFL players has helped foster a sense of pride amongst Australians about our nation’s rich Indigenous heritage. Furthermore we support the goal of amending our Constitution to formally unite our Indigenous history with the many chapters that have been written since. Sport has the extraordinary power to bring people together regardless of their background, something we should never forget. Sport is also one of the most powerful tools we have for affecting cultural change. It has the very real ability to strengthen community ties and promote social inclusion. And it is a key driver for our continued prosperity as a nation.

Thank you.

• Like 2

i think they count the ground staff too...lol

Lol. Probably the security guys in hi-vis.

"The AFL doesn't call itself a charity or a sporting association - it calls itself a business."

"So why doesn't it pay income tax like a business? Because, as its annual report explains, the AFL is exempt from income tax because its activities "are solely the promotion, administration and development of Australian Rules Football".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/tax-breaks-for-sport-must-be-bounced-out/story-e6frfhqf-1225846359381

So ALL teams are a tax break WYL. Does that mean we need to get rid of them all?

Lol. Probably the security guys in hi-vis.

If a jumbo jets flight path took it over the ground I'm sure they'd count the passengers as well.

If a jumbo jets flight path took it over the ground I'm sure they'd count the passengers as well.

is it true the $cully family take up 8 seats -one for each arse cheek?

Ok, finally got an actual answer despite the crazy rantings of WYL and vague attempts by BBO.

"There is a lot of talk about the cash but what people are forgetting is that the AFL is a not for profit organisation. What comes into the AFL is put towards grass roots footy, it put towards our clubs, its put towards putting on the game. Its not private company with shareholds and directors creaming off profits. So everything the AFL makes goes back into the game."

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-generic-blog/afl-grand-final-replay-fact-sheet/20100927-15t0v.html

This combined with my previous posts answers the confusion.

The AFL is classed as a not for profit (although that is being challenged currently) despite huge profits reported every year, as they invest their income back into football. This means that GWS are NOT a tax break any more than the MFC are or Wagga Wagga Seconds are.

The AFL are a "non profitable" organization we are told. That means they have to transfer $$$ somewhere.

Gold Coast $un$ may yet become a trainwreck as nothing seems to last up there, but so far they have shown some fight.

GW$ are going backwards....fast.

Huh? Where has this been said? I've never read/heard that before in my life. The AFL is a business isn't it?

Context.

Stu, I'm going to keep this simple. WYL made a comment (above) that you disagreed with (also above). I provided the full text of a speech that shows you were incorrect. Now don't start giving me shite about context or anything else. Retire gracefully, admit you were wrong and, for once STFU.

Stu, I'm going to keep this simple. WYL made a comment (above) that you disagreed with (also above). I provided the full text of a speech that shows you were incorrect. Now don't start giving me shite about context or anything else. Retire gracefully, admit you were wrong and, for once STFU.

Haha ironic that you talk about context and then post things completely out of context.

I asked WYL to explain what he said and maybe provide some info. He did not. I found pages and pages of info about the AFL's profits and continued my own research.

Please read my post above about the whole thing.

is it true the $cully family take up 8 seats -one for each arse cheek?

Not entirely true Biffen. Tom takes up half a seat and Phatty has two seats per arse cheek and a further two seats for his player scouting folders with Maccas wrappers hanging out of them.

• Like 1

Haha ironic that you talk about context and then post things completely out of context.

I asked WYL to explain what he said and maybe provide some info. He did not. I found pages and pages of info about the AFL's profits and continued my own research.

Now you're are just being silly Stuie. I've counseled you about this previously. Next, you'll work yourself into a frenzy and get banned again. As usual, I'm considering your welfare.

Could you be wrong Stuie? Just asking.

Stuie needs a wagon to push ,preferably about something he is only slightly informed about .

So he can educate himself by making ridiculous statements which are then refuted .

Could you be wrong Stuie? Just asking.

See post above. I asked WYL to explain/back up his post, he didn't, I've since done that myself. Yes, I was wrong in thinking the AFL were a not for profit as the stack of info I initially found was all about how much profit they made. The trick is that even though they make massive profits they're technically classed as "not for profit" because they invest their profits back into football. This is why I still say WYL's comments about GWS being a tax break are untrue given every AFL club, in fact every footy club in Australia, is technically a "tax break" for the AFL.

Now you're are just being silly Stuie. I've counseled you about this previously. Next, you'll work yourself into a frenzy and get banned again. As usual, I'm considering your welfare.

The posts are still there, feel free to go back and read them again before this becomes another patented Demonland lynch mob (something that is destroying this site).

The posts are still there, feel free to go back and read them again before this becomes another patented Demonland lynch mob (something that is destroying this site).

Don't think of it as a lynch mob Stu-it's more a posse of Village elders gathering to dunk the Village idiot in the river.

• Like 3

See post above. I asked WYL to explain/back up his post, he didn't, I've since done that myself. Yes, I was wrong in thinking the AFL were a not for profit as the stack of info I initially found was all about how much profit they made. The trick is that even though they make massive profits they're technically classed as "not for profit" because they invest their profits back into football. This is why I still say WYL's comments about GWS being a tax break are untrue given every AFL club, in fact every footy club in Australia, is technically a "tax break" for the AFL.

That's much better Stu. That's all you had to say earlier and I wouldn't have had to embarrass you. I hope you feel better now, You'll be a better man for it.

Stuie, this may come as a shock, but to someone who has only been a Demonland member for a short time, you and wyl actually seem to agree if you objectively read all the posts. Wyl never claimed that the other clubs weren't 'tax breaks'. It is just that the GWS team is such a financial hole and the AFL is making a decent profit thereby needing an easy an convenient place to put large sums of cash.

• Like 1