Trengove..calling it now

timmyo64

IMO I believe his lack of pace is decisive and further I don't believe he will get this back ( was he ever quick to start with?)

You have every right to question his pace over the past two years, but he once was quick.

"RUNNING AND JUMPING: Trengove dispelled any doubt over his speed off the mark at last month's state testing session in Adelaide. He ran 2.97 seconds in the 20-metre sprint to complement his awesome endurance - he's a former state-level cross country runner." Source

Will he get it back? Let's hope so.

So be it!! Happy for our club if I am proved wrong and will wear it which is more than I can say for some on this site!

Cheers Sass!

Fence

Such an independent thinker you are! Calling it like you see it, and to hell with what other people think! And calling it and calling it...

Such an independent thinker you are! Calling it like you see it, and to hell with what other people think! And calling it and calling it...

Rather be independent than follow the fashionable Fluff (as warm and as comforting as it is) of the day!

Now that really IS independence!

Not as elusive as you may think Tunna, more, murky water under what was, a very creaky bridge!

But under Roosy things are looking clearer and better! So tell me, If Trengove ever gets fit, where would you play him and who's spot would you see him taking??

Eh

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

If Trengove's foot injury was troubling him from the start of 2012 then this alarmist view that he's too slow can only be based on an injury. Therefore it's a no-brainer and has nothing to do with evaluating him as a footballer.

If he then recovers from this debilitating injury and finds his pace again - all good. If he doesn't recover properly then his career may be over. Let's all hope it's the former rather than the latter argument.

IMO the only way a sportsperson can lose 2 yards of pace from the age of 20 to the age of 21 is if extenuating circumstances are present (such as a debilitating foot injury or other such factors)

As an aside, but it is related ... In track and field, it's a rare thing for a sprinter to win any sort of major sprint track medal who is under the age of 22. Humans get quicker from the age of 19 or 20 and the pace drop off generally happens in their late 20's or early 30's.

Trengove turned 20 on the 2nd of September 2011. We all started to notice his pace had dropped in early 2012. IMO, either his foot injury has restricted him to a large degree or he's a freak of nature who lost his pace 10 years before he was meant to.

• Like 1

That's the thing Roosy has turned Pedo, Bail, Dunn, Jamar and others from possibly not even AFL standard to solid AFL players in a few months, Trenners has more talent than all of them combined and it's a huge potential upside for our team if he can get him playing how well he is capable, i remember pre draft being told to watch him as he was the second coming of Nathan Buckley

thats a little bit unfair. last year Dunny was much better than previous years, and he has further progressed as a defender & as a player this year. & Rawlings is stiil working with the backline this year.

Roosy has really helped to repair all sorts of negative issues that have haunted the club over many years. But creating a healthy environment, needed change in many ways, so removing the Hollywood boulevard stuff, perhaps started over the last 2 years, by others... even if it was Painful.

Roosy let some loose from our list, & he has set about building this Healthy Environment since the last Pre-season. Its easier being a fringe player who's trying to perform, with other established players helping & encouraging, rather than berating other players on-field, like I saw Green do a few times, a couple of years back.

We now have at Mfc, experienced professionals in our coaching/footy dept', who have a proven track record of producing good players, an environment where players can learn well, & grow as people & teammates.

all in all, our progress started 2 years back, but the real results & growth are now emerging thanks to the new Admin' & Coaches headed by Roosy.

I can for example, find nothing but invigoration and admiration for most players on the list.

JONES, DAWES, GARLAND, TYSON, SALEM, KENT, DUNN, FRAWLEY, JKH, AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON

However some players in my opinion are either not up to it, and for a variety of reasons lost it! Eg

a) Lack of work ethic

b) Bad luck with injuries

c) Ordinary and or highly speculative picks to start with etc etc. (And of course we have had plenty of those)!

Jack Trengoves case he has not played good footy for two years, whether or not that is the fault of injury or the pace of the game has caught up with him. The fact of the matter is he has not developed and improved as we would have liked.

IMO I believe his lack of pace is decisive and further I don't believe he will get this back ( was he ever quick to start with?)

In this modern game if you are slow unless you are a ball winning freak that hurts opposition with your disposal you won't get a game.

Q Can we afford to have a player like this in our side and if yes what position ( which currently is being taken by someone else) is he going to take???

Im not sure theres really much to argue in amongst this. it , for mine outlays exactly where we are with ol' Trenners.

Nobody wants to write off anyone and much of a supporters lot is what really borders on blind hope.

Imho Jack will start off behind even where he began his Melbourne odyssey.

Hes been hit by a lingering injury with only what is given as a "ilkelihood" of total recovery.

I dont think its unreasonable at all for some to suggest theres really not too much to get excited bout here.

In amongst the typical debate come battle between observers is the reality.. Put aside what we'd all like him to be , where is he truly at ?

Remove the sugary coatings and off the rosey glasses as some suggest and its not too flash.

• Like 1

I still don't understand the reason why this apparently results in bad football. You can say he was too young to be a good captain, but why not a good footballer. Same as the 'we debuted Watts too early' argument.

When stress impacts, all sorts of things can happen, disruptions physically & emotionally can occur. see, Cortisol,,,,, Mao-b, & others.

think Clark & Trengove.

basics > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

> http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm

> http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201301/cortisol-why-the-stress-hormone-is-public-enemy-no-1

>http://www.novusresearch.com/research/maobrain.html

this is applicable to All of us.

Rather be independent than follow the fashionable Fluff (as warm and as comforting as it is) of the day!

Now that really IS independence!

Not as elusive as you may think Tunna, more, murky water under what was, a very creaky bridge!

But under Roosy things are looking clearer and better! So tell me, If Trengove ever gets fit, where would you play him and who's spot would you see him taking??

Eh

Did you see Trenners play any games in his first two years? If you did how would you have rated him?

Up to the point where he was suspended for a sling tackle, did you think he was an aggressive player?

Did you see Trenners play any games in his first two years? If you did how would you have rated him?

Up to the point where he was suspended for a sling tackle, did you think he was an aggressive player?

Yep good even player with good skills and awareness,.When suspended I wouldn't have called him outrageously aggressive but merely to the standard you would expect from a young player finding his way in the game. Vigorous and Fiesty come readlily to mind, no more no less!

I thought his tackle was very good, Pure in execution and unfortunately the AFL thought it unfair. should NEVER have been rubbed out IMV but as many posters on this site will attest, what do I know?

Hope that answers your question Robbie!

Demonland myth

Some of the reactions are grossly unfair 'Sat', but it's not a myth. Trengove has lost leg speed and power through his core, the last few years he was nowhere near the player he was in his first 2. Something was amiss and I hope it can be put down to the foot, he's a good kid, let's hope he can get back on track and become the player he was set to become.

If Trengove's foot injury was troubling him from the start of 2012 then this alarmist view that he's too slow can only be based on an injury. Therefore it's a no-brainer and has nothing to do with evaluating him as a footballer.

If he then recovers from this debilitating injury and finds his pace again - all good. If he doesn't recover properly then his career may be over. Let's all hope it's the former rather than the latter argument.

IMO the only way a sportsperson can lose 2 yards of pace from the age of 20 to the age of 21 is if extenuating circumstances are present (such as a debilitating foot injury or other such factors)

As an aside, but it is related ... In track and field, it's a rare thing for a sprinter to win any sort of major sprint track medal who is under the age of 22. Humans get quicker from the age of 19 or 20 and the pace drop off generally happens in their late 20's or early 30's.

Trengove turned 20 on the 2nd of September 2011. We all started to notice his pace had dropped in early 2012. IMO, either his foot injury has restricted him to a large degree or he's a freak of nature who lost his pace 10 years before he was meant to.

I think you spell it out perfectly 'Macca', couldn't put it any better.

I think you spell it out perfectly 'Macca', couldn't put it any better.

Someone here posted that he ran 2.9 seconds in the 20 metre sprint in the draft camp (when he would have just turned 18)

It could be assumed that with maturity, muscle development and lots of sprint training, he would be highly likely to get quicker in the next 4-5 years (past the age of 18) Peaking at 22/23 years of age.

Unless injury intervened.

If ever we should be giving a player the benefit of the doubt, it's this time.

Found this ... AFL Draft Camp All-Time Top 10 for Each Test (Trengove's time stacks up reasonably well)

• Like 1

Someone here posted that he ran 2.9 seconds in the 20 metre sprint in the draft camp (when he would have just turned 18)

It could be assumed that with maturity, muscle development and lots of sprint training, he would be highly likely to get quicker in the next 4-5 years (past the age of 18) Peaking at 22/23 years of age.

Unless injury intervened.

If ever we should be giving a player the benefit of the doubt, it's this time.

Found this ... AFL Draft Camp All-Time Top 10 for Each Test (Trengove's time stacks up reasonably well)

If any one on here has had a problem with their navicular they would understand just how nasty it is, it hurts even when you just are just walking around and sometimes at night the pain can keep you awake.

It also has a tendency to alter your running style because you try to run in a way that the injury hurts less. If he can get over it I can guarantee that his pace will improve and I'm surprised that he has gone this long without having it fixed.

If any one on here has had a problem with their navicular they would understand just how nasty it is, it hurts even when you just are just walking around and sometimes at night the pain can keep you awake.

It also has a tendency to alter your running style because you try to run in a way that the injury hurts less. If he can get over it I can guarantee that his pace will improve and I'm surprised that he has gone this long without having it fixed.

Yep, and it might be that he felt obligated to carry on playing because he was co-captain of the club. If nothing was showing up in the scans that he was having then that could have been another reason to brave it.

Trengove has a lot to offer if we can get him right.

• Like 1