The MFC Season Prediction Thread

MFC Season Predictions  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought we could use a thread to collaborate all these predictions.

My personal ones:

Bluey:

Nathan Jones. Will only get better with his new support cast

Goalkicking:

Jeremy Howe. See him as the only dangerous forward who will play all 22 games

Most Improved:

Tom McDonald. I reckon this will be the year he makes the jump to a near-AA quality defender

Number 1 ruck at season's end:

Jake Spencer. He's further along than the other 3 young blokes in terms of development and fitness. Don't see Jamar's body holding up

Best first-year player:

Jesse Hogan. Gun

James Frawley, stay or leave?

Stay. God I hope so

Season win tally:

5-6. Big improvement, but stiff competition makes it hard to jump too far up the ladder.

Edited by Guest

Bluey:

Bernie Vince looks a class above the rest of our list imo

Goalkicking:

Jeremy Howe if we get even 2 of our forwards back this year he will get the third defender..

Most Improved:

Jack Trengove is free of the pressure of being captain, had some good form at times in the pre season, no injuries, full quality pre season behind him, no excuses now.

Maxy gawn

Best first-year player:

Jay Kennedy- Harris looks a massive steal

Reckon he will go, loves the club and his mates but i reckon the lure of a flag will be too much to pass up

Season win tally:

5-6. we finally have some structure but it's still only a step forward, got alot left to do

Bluey

Bernie Vince

Most Improved

Jake Spencer

Goal Kicker

Jeremy Howe

Best First Year Player

Alexis Georgiou

Chip Stay or Leave

Frawley to sign mid to 3/4 into season if we are showing marked improvement and direction

Wins for 2014

Not putting a cap on wins want at least 6 but want to see an end to beltings

Bluey

Bernie Vince, as others have said, he just looks a class above

Most Improved

Jack Trengove, has endured a torrid couple of seasons, finally free to break the shackles

Goal Kicker

Jeremy Howe, simply cos I doubt anyone else will be left standing, and as we all know Howe doesn't stand - he flies!

No. 1 ruck

Max Gawn, he's the only one who actually looks like an afl class ruck man - I think Jamar is finished and the others are solid vfl ruck men, or ruck / forward combos in Fitz's case

Best First Year Player

Alexis Georgiou, cool calm and collected, he's a natural

Chip Stay or Leave

He'll go I think - as stated by someone else who works in the industry, free agency is going to continue to hurt clubs like ours simply cos the salary cap is the same for all clubs and so the carrot is success with money about the same no matter where a quality player like Chip plies their trade

Wins for 2014

4-6 I hope, but could definitely be lower - to be honest I'm more interested in seeing that % go from mid-50s to somewhere around the 85-90% mark, indicating that we are right in games to win them, not simply blown off the park week after week

Edited by DemonAndrew
  • Like 2

Bluey

Jack Watts

Most Improved

Jack Watts/The Toump

Goal Kicker

Hogan (assuming he plays most of the season - The Toump if he doesn't)

Best First Year Player

Hogan (assuming he plays most of the season - Salem if he doesn't), JKH will give us some thrills i reckon

Most consistent First Year Player

Alexis Georgiou. Given Michie has only played one game of footy he could almost be considered a first year player. He looked much more skilled than i expected against the Cats and on that performance I expect him to be in our best 22 all year.

Chip Stay or Leave

Stay

Wins for 2014

After years of stupid predictions i refuse to think about how many wins. What i hope to see is a percentage closer to 100 than 50

Bluey:

Bernie Vince looks a class above the rest of our list imo

Goalkicking:

Jeremy Howe if we get even 2 of our forwards back this year he will get the third defender..

Most Improved:

Jimmy Toumpas will demonstrate why he was worthy of No. 3 pick.

Maxy Gawn

Best first-year player:

Jay Kennedy- Harris looks a massive steal

Stay, particularly if he sees a good horizon with Roos at the helm.

Season win tally:

5-6. we finally have some structure but it's still only a step forward, got alot left to do

I'll own up to being the pessimist who predicted 0-2 wins.

I'm very worried about the Saints game. If we don't win that......who will we beat?

Perhaps the Doggies or Richmond.Perhaps Essendon will fall apart.

I'm pessimistic about our chances v. GWS and GC.

It's difficult not to be pessimistic after all the catastrophes that have befallen us over the last 6 years.

Can someone please buck me up with some logic suggesting things are better than I think!

I'm very worried about the Saints game. If we don't win that......who will we beat?

It's difficult not to be pessimistic after all the catastrophes that have befallen us over the last 6 years.

Can someone please buck me up with some logic suggesting things are better than I think!

Think of it this way JJC

The back line is basically the same as last year, it is ok.

The midfield has to be better than the last two years, N J has three or four reasonable players to help him out. They will get it forward way more than last year.

The forward line is much the same as last year and as it seldom went in there last year I expect they will kick higher scores simply from the increased number of chances.

We are now being coached by a team of people who know what they are doing.

Sound Good?

Having said that when I go through the fixture round by round I struggle with who we will beat.

• Like 2

Think of it this way JJC

The back line is basically the same as last year, it is ok.

The midfield has to be better than the last two years, N J has three or four reasonable players to help him out. They will get it forward way more than last year.

The forward line is much the same as last year and as it seldom went in there last year I expect they will kick higher scores simply from the increased number of chances.

We are now being coached by a team of people who know what they are doing.

Sound Good?

Having said that when I go through the fixture round by round I struggle with who we will beat.

I'm getting to you OD. This is the most optimistic post I've seen from you in a very long time. It's a pity you let yourself down at the end, but small steps forward are better than standing still.

This is right up my alley JJC.

I can safely and confidently predict that we will triple our winning total from last year. We have recruited strongly and made a significant difference to our potential to get the ball out of the middle and into fwd 50. Our defenders will, as a consequence, not be as pressured as in previous times. This will allow them to play a more attacking game and support our midfielders as they pump the ball inside to our forwards. Whilst our forward stocks are a little shaky, I'm confident Roos will build a game plan that allows a larger number of goal-kickers to share the spoils. We will have players prepared to run both ways to create opportunities. The days of midfielders looking up to see no-one ahead of them are past. We just have to be significantly more competitive than in the past.

Whilst we might not win enough to threaten the final eight, the top sides will now know that they have to take us seriously if they want to cement their positions. I predict that at least a couple of our wins will be upsets over more fancied opposition. We will shake things up a little this year. No more easy-beats. There may still be the odd thumping but it won't be happening on a weekly basis anymore.

How's that JJC?

Edited by Crawf52
  • Like 1

Bluey:

Jack Trengove

Goalkicking:

Jack Fitzpatrick.

Most Improved:

Jack Trengove

By seasons end, Max Gawn. but expecting a lot of changes in priority over the course of the season.

Best first-year player:

Jesse Hogan. Well, this one is just unfair. Kennedy-Harris might surprise but that's the only plausible upset.

Stay. Will sign before mid-season.

Season win tally:

8 or 9. Yep, I really believe it.

Bluey:

Bernie Vince

Goalkicking:

Jeremy Howe

Most Improved:

Jeremy Howe

Big Maxy

Best first-year player:

Jesse Hogan. Providing he can get on the park with some consistency

Will depend on how we go this year. At present I would say he will go. God I hope I'm wrong

Season win tally:

4 wins with a percentage of mid 80's

Bottom.

Priority pick.

Why would the AFL give us a Priority Pick when they didn't last year when we only had two wins? We should have had a PP last year and we should see Tom Boyd running out this year in the red and blue [instead of orange]. Given that last year was at the tail end if a succession of poor showings, I cannot see what justification that the AFL can give for rewarding us with a PP next year? In my view, it would be a gross injustice if they ever award a PP again [to any team] in the light of the way they shafted us last year!

Why would the AFL give us a Priority Pick when they didn't last year when we only had two wins? We should have had a PP last year and we should see Tom Boyd running out this year in the red and blue [instead of orange]. Given that last year was at the tail end if a succession of poor showings, I cannot see what justification that the AFL can give for rewarding us with a PP next year? In my view, it would be a gross injustice if they ever award a PP again [to any team] in the light of the way they shafted us last year!

You're gonna make me cry :'(

• Like 1

Bluey: Hard for me to choose, but from the pre season, i'd have to say Bernie Vince, N J has been a great player for us over the years and he'll have another fine season, but Bernie looks to have the bluey to me, but I think Toumps could pull a Chad Wingard and be a smokey for it

Goal kicking: Jeremy Howe, we'll be without Clark for a loooooong time, Dawes we'll probably have those little niggles and Hogan we'll start adjusting to it all, although Fitzy and Pedersen could step up and show us a few more goals

Most improved: Jimmy Toumpas, closely followed by Trenners, both will obviously play a bit of forward/midfield and provide great running speed and kicks in the forward

No.1 ruckman by seasons end: Really I am hoping for big ol' Maximus Gawnius, but I'm guessing Spencer is Roosy's number 1 choice, I like the way Spencer tackles and sticks up for his teammates, but I feel the guy is just so damn clumsy, but with a little more work I guess he'll start maturing up, he sorta reminds me of a uncoordinated Dean Cox

Best first year player: JAY KENNEDY HARRIS REMEMBER THAT NAME! Can't wait to see this guy run out for his first official game, hopefully this saturday so I can see the gun! mark my words, this guy will win the Rising star award! I remember commenting in a forum asking if we'll have any chance at getting him at pick 40 and straight away got shot down, love this guy! new favorite player!

Frawley: He'll stay because Roosy will sign on for longer, I know i sound a little keen

Wins: I'm gonna say 10-12 wins, push around the 10th mark, a smokey for finals I bet ;)

Can't wait to see a new and improved demons side on Saturday night!

GIVE EM HELL DEES!

• Like 1

Because our list is shocking.

We will go through the season undefeated. I'm actually dismayed that Brownlow Medal winner is not listed here. But since you asked, a three way tie between Jones, Vince and Viney. Nuff said.

Because our list is shocking.

Our list was worse last year and it had little influence on the AFL [after the other 17 clubs all got in their ear]!

Bluey:

Bernie Vince. I say this in hope, because if Nate Jones wins again it means we aren't really improving. We need some other players to step in and challenge him for it.

Goalkicking:

Very hard to pick this with so many forwards in and ou of the side, but I think Howe will get it through consistently being on the park.

Most Improved:

Pedersen. e was shocking last year, but all reports have him much fitter and training better. With the ongoing injury issues he could find himself playing a more regular forward role.

I think if Gawn can string some games together he might just get up there this year.

Best first-year player:

I suspect JKH will be the one. Hogan is the other massive chance, but again I worry about how many games he will play.

Stay. This is a wish as much as a prediction. There are a couple of very big clubs in his ear.

Season win tally:

I've given us 9=10. I figure 10 is the most we could win this year if you look at the draw and base it on current form. I would hope that in the second half we would be seeing real signs of improvement, cohesion and instinctive play coming in and that would add to our on-field impact, so there is a chance of a couple of upsets to go with the inevitable poor loss or two. There is also half a chance of seeing a full-strength forward-line in play on the back end.

• 2 months later...

Fair to say, at the halfway point of the year, we were a fair way off with some predictions.

Bernie Vince will very likely not win the 'Bluey'

Jeremy Howe became a backman

Jack Watts, Jimmy Toumpas and Jack Trengove haven't necessarily 'improved'

Mark Jamar looks to be the no.1 ruck for the foreseeable future

Jesse Hogan has not came close to debuting yet, and Alex Georgiou has been out of the side for quite some time.

Obviously Frawley's future and our win-tally remain to be seen

Edited by Guest