The 2014 AFL National Draft

Whispering_Jack

Severe hamstring injury - hasn't played since NAB Cup. Been resigned.

Cheers mate.

Stretch a bargain 3rd Rounder. He is very quick and with Barry is an alternative to Blease who may not be around much longer. Toumpass is a different type of player and not as fast.

The top teams are adding express pace, eg, Hill and Smith, Rohan and Jetta.

The way the Lions are going we may well get pick 3. Petracca will go top 2 so that leaves us with a tall.

yeah, instinct tells me that the lowest we will finish is 3rd last, can't see us dropping the game to GWS, who already have some of their young guns warehoused with season ending medical procedures. If GWS end up with pick 2 AND we take two picks to the draft, we'll take Brayshaw and have some flexibility with the other pick.

My apologies. What a silly system where he's part of the academy despite not being able to be selected from the academy. I suppose it makes sense.

I wonder how much of a knock on him will be that his brother was a gun junior as well but now is a bit of a plodder who was cut by the Suns (but is turning it around at the Saints a bit as a tagger). Didn't seem to affect the Swallows but maybe Lachie will have noted the things Mav didn't do in his early years at AFL level (ie. get super fit, work on his skills, speed and versatility).

I think Lachie failed to qualify as an academy zone selection because he hadn't lived there long enough. He only moved up from Tassie when Maverick was pre-selected by the Suns. Looks like he has benefitted a great deal from being in the academy system though. He's probably in the 5-15 range, could be a real steal. Would be funny if Collingwood selected him and benefitted from his GC academy experience...

If we get a compo pick don't rule out a trade with GWS or Swans. Despite what the Swans say Mitchell will be offloaded for the right deal. Swans get a gun mid in Heeney this year and another gun mid in Mills - and Dunkley next year. No one in their right mind would not give up a pick 3 or 4 for a guy who cannot crack it for a regular senior game. Mitchell and another player, say Rohan would probably be about right. The Swans would get Heeney and Durdin (they need a young developing gun key back). Anyway trading/drafting season should be entertaining regardeless.

Geelong getting frawley concerns me, they are well known for underpaying players

That sort of scenario is presumably why there is a panel that oversees all compensation and would make sure we get the first round pick we deserve, most probably in lieu of any priority picks.

• Like 2

Petracca is who we want. Big bodied aggressive player. He has dominated up forward kicking bags of goals, and dominated in patches through the midfield. He doesn't have a big enough tank to be an AFL midfielder straight off the bat, so will play half forward early in his career until he builds up to move through the midfield permanently. Not convinced he will be a superstar, but he is a safe bet to be a solid player who helps his team and lifts those around him. Aggressive, big body who loves to throw his weight around. We need his type to help develop our culture. Plays a lot like Dustin Martin actually but his kicking is not as good as Dusty.

If Frawley leaves and we get a first round compo pick, I'd hope we trade it for an established midfielder and a first rounder, same as the Tyson trade last year. If we wound up using it though, I'd like us to take Brayshaw. Assuming he doesn't flee home to North, he will be a solid 250-300 game midfielder. He just accumulates ball and goes into pack after pack. Think Lenny Hayes with a more balanced and penetrating kick. Will slot straight into the midfield, or could be thrown to halfback to marshal the troops and setup play like Sam Mitchell has at stages.

I don't think we should draft any key position players early, as our key position depth is a strength IMO. We need more quality midfielders to add to our midfield rotation. Getting Vince, Tyson and Cross last year was huge. We need to add more this year to continue to build because as good as those guys have been in patches, our midfield is still ranked bottom 4 on output. Games are won and lost in the midfield, so we need to improve this or we'll continue to languish at the bottom.

• Like 3

Petracca is who we want. Big bodied aggressive player. He has dominated up forward kicking bags of goals, and dominated in patches through the midfield. He doesn't have a big enough tank to be an AFL midfielder straight off the bat, so will play half forward early in his career until he builds up to move through the midfield permanently. Not convinced he will be a superstar, but he is a safe bet to be a solid player who helps his team and lifts those around him. Aggressive, big body who loves to throw his weight around. We need his type to help develop our culture. Plays a lot like Dustin Martin actually but his kicking is not as good as Dusty.

If Frawley leaves and we get a first round compo pick, I'd hope we trade it for an established midfielder and a first rounder, same as the Tyson trade last year. If we wound up using it though, I'd like us to take Brayshaw. Assuming he doesn't flee home to North, he will be a solid 250-300 game midfielder. He just accumulates ball and goes into pack after pack. Think Lenny Hayes with a more balanced and penetrating kick. Will slot straight into the midfield, or could be thrown to halfback to marshal the troops and setup play like Sam Mitchell has at stages.

I don't think we should draft any key position players early, as our key position depth is a strength IMO. We need more quality midfielders to add to our midfield rotation. Getting Vince, Tyson and Cross last year was huge. We need to add more this year to continue to build because as good as those guys have been in patches, our midfield is still ranked bottom 4 on output. Games are won and lost in the midfield, so we need to improve this or we'll continue to languish at the bottom.

this sums it all up really.

I would stay away from Wright unless you intend for him to be a forward.

Far too high a pick for a ruckman.

Even then I would prefer a mid.

Tall forwards are guesswork as to when you will see the best from them. Cameron came on pretty quick but Lynch, Dixon, Day have been slower cream to rise to the top. Ruckman as you rightly pointed out are the same. With few exceptions, you don't see the best of them until they around 24 plus.

• Like 2

Would like to know where that key position depth you are talking about is. If Frawley goes as seems likely we are very light on and really have no quality key position players at all to call it a strength. Clark is gone, Hogan will be a quality KPP but hasn't played a game yet and McDonald is very much a work in progress.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

We shouldn't be too worried about what position is a weakness, as our list is that poor you could argue that we require strengthening in every position.

Draft the best available, who will suit the system Roos wants to play.

• Like 1

I wonder if Brayshaw is more suited than Petracca to the Roos game plan?

Petracca is very much a burst player, Brayshaw is much more steady and consistant

having said that petracca looks a very capable forward and could easily rest there with bursts through the middle

Ahern too.

Both he and Laverde are tipped to be late first rounders at this stage - would expect them to tighten to top 10 a la Salem and Freeman.

Goddard and Lamb slipping big time.

thats good, getting the Spit ready next week... don't mind at all if the price of a good legof lamb comes down a bit. leg, rack, sideof, whatever your preference, as long as its priced right, we may get it after 15 ?

pickets holding solid ?

his skills sound good LT. Would North have anything we would trade P-4 to them for; player & pick ?

I think we'll trade both picks IF we get a compo pick. for player + pick scenarios. If we could get say Shiel & Jaksch, for P-2or3, & our 2nd Rndr, I'd take it.

Petracca is very much a burst player, Brayshaw is much more steady and consistant

having said that petracca looks a very capable forward and could easily rest there with bursts through the middle

At this stage Petracca is well ahead of Brayshaw. His endurance is ok, I think he runs a 15 beep, and right now I think his inside game is ahead of Brayshaw's. He's shown more composure and awareness in contested situations. Brayshaw a slightly neater kick out in space, but doesn't have the same tricks Petracca has.

Petracca's output this season has been very consistent, I think the only issue is whether we are picking behind GWS in the draft, because if we are, they will take him.

At this stage Petracca is well ahead of Brayshaw. His endurance is ok, I think he runs a 15 beep, and right now I think his inside game is ahead of Brayshaw's. He's shown more composure and awareness in contested situations. Brayshaw a slightly neater kick out in space, but doesn't have the same tricks Petracca has.

Petracca's output this season has been very consistent, I think the only issue is whether we are picking behind GWS in the draft, because if we are, they will take him.

I think his beep seems to be rising by the week 'Chaser', will be interesting to see how he goes when they do the testing.

• Like 1

he may yet go at One.

Think Petracca could be a good fit when you take into account Roos team at Swans who had 10-12 players who rotated through the midfield and off either Half Back or Half Forward. Petracca has shown the ability to be able to work on his tank and run through the middle

If Frawley goes and we get picks 3 & 4

- we trade a frawley compo pick to kangas

say pick 4 to kangas (they want Angas Brayshaw)

- Bastinac and pick 13 to Dees ... we could use to grab Liam Duggan

Bastinac averages 20 possessions, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal a game. He runs well and us a running mid to compliment Viney, Jones, Tyson.

Thoughts?? Still get pick 3 for Petracca, McCartin or Durdin

If Frawley goes and we get picks 3 & 4

- we trade a frawley compo pick to kangas

say pick 4 to kangas (they want Angas Brayshaw)

- Bastinac and pick 13 to Dees ... we could use to grab Liam Duggan

Bastinac averages 20 possessions, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal a game. He runs well and us a running mid to compliment Viney, Jones, Tyson.

Thoughts?? Still get pick 3 for Petracca, McCartin or Durdin

I reckon pick 2 goes to the Giants for Shiel

I reckon pick 3 goes to the Suns for picks 11 and 15

pick up Duggan and Wellar with those picks

• Like 1

Who says North want Brayshaw, apart from the family connection can't see any other reason.

They have no problem with ball winners what they need is outside game breaking class

• Like 6