Training - Monday, 20th January, 2014

Whispering_Jack

Yep there are positive signs but as you said it is all "dancing with your sister"

Thanks for the reports BB and WW

Thanks for the great reports guys.

OD thanks for reminding me my sisters were not like Viney.

Edited by Chippy

Funny isnt it, for a guy who's sister is a champion runner.

Not really... You don't have to be fast to be able to run long distances.

But I do agree with those who say he's always been on the slow side. Even during the champs he never seemed to have a burst of speed, however he was playing under 18's so his lack of speed wasn't as evident as it is in the faster paced AFL.

Still, I think he can be a very effective player for us going forward. Lenny Hayes comes to mind as someone who you could perhaps compare with some of Trengoves attributes. Great kick, great tackler and stoppage player, can kick a goal, smart footballer but one-paced.

If Trenners can work on his contested ball winning etc and a few other things, I have no concerns. I know that's stating the bleeding obvious, but the guy is a classy and natural footballer so as long as he can stay fit, he's the least of my concerns.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

To clarify, it's Trengove's lack of acceleration that is most damning.

Would it be beneficial to get him a sprint coach or focus his off-season on short distance (fast) running?

We have to think long term here. Now that he doesn't have the captaincy to worry about he can really focus on his on game.

To clarify, it's Trengove's lack of acceleration that is most damning.

Do you really think it's most damaging?

Last year it was his lack of fitness that really amplified this 'plodding' notion everyone is talking about. Think about him in 2010 though. There was no concern about his running ability, and he certainly wasn't speedy. He was just fit.

Of course if he was speedy, we'd be talking about a potential superstar game changer. He has enough going for him to suggest he'll be a great player if he can keep fit.

Cross

O'keefe

Hayes

Boyd

Black

Just a few names who have been huge players for their club and none of them have a burst of speed.

• Like 2

Never hurt Joel Selwood, Brad Sewell, Lenny Hayes or countless others.

He won't ever be a "burst" midfielder, but that's ok.

I agree, but it seems Trengove is the target for the 'baggers' in this thread, you must remember they are better judges of footy players than the rest of us will ever be, more tiremsome as well

I agree, but it seems Trengove is the target for the 'baggers' in this thread, you must remember they are better judges of footy players than the rest of us will ever be, more tiremsome as well

havent seen many people bag trenners

matter of fact ,respect is a word that generally gets used with his name

btw YOUNGDEE a lot of older players used and got benefits out of sprint coaches,yep good idea

havent seen many people bag trenners

matter of fact ,respect is a word that generally gets used with his name

btw YOUNGDEE a lot of older players used and got benefits out of sprint coaches,yep good idea

We have about 15 "coaches" at training at the moment, you don't think one of them looks after the running?

Constantly criticising a players supposed lack of speed is bagging

We have about 15 "coaches" at training at the moment, you don't think one of them looks after the running?

no

he is not fast,end of story,thats not bagging

with new depth in 2014,hoping he gets into right position,to utilise his skills

but people saying he is slow, aint bagging him

• Like 1

He's not quick, but I think the thing that has hurt his game the most in the last couple years has been - in order of impact - injuries, instructed to be negatively focussed, and terrible form.

Work out a way to set him free and hunt the footy and then we can measure how much his lack of quickness affects his game.

Don't need quick midfielders, but you do need good midfielders.

• Like 4

I wish I could erase the memories and give all and sundry a fresh start like you nut bean.

Unfortunately some of them are burned so deep I will carry them forever.

We wear our battle scars and wounds with pride OD. It's what will separate us from the rest. we need to just learn from the past, cherish the present and dream for the future.

No point hanging on to our bitterness - it just gives us more wrinkles. Smile and remember that, in 2014, we haven't lost a game yet.

This is going to be a much better year than last. In fact, I'm so confident that I'm willing to bet a bottle of reasonably priced single malt that after eleven rounds we will be no worse than 4 wins and 7 losses. Either way we'll both be winners. If I lose, you'll be able to drown your sorrows and I'll know I've done something to ease your pain, and if I'm right, I'll be able to celebrate and you'll be happy with the wins.

What do you say?

• Like 1

Tasmanlvr from Bigfooty - with thanks:

Great to be back after a week's hiatus.
Melbourne training > tennis (for the time being, by the time you read this I'll be going to the Aussie Open)
Walked past Jeremy Howe on the way, wisely gave way as he could have taken a specky over me had I not given way (and trust me he has done it over me before - at last year's B&F)
These training jumpers are CLASS PERSONIFIED.
Viv's hair is steadily growing to the point where he could have an afro come round one.
Has Jack Viney dyed his hair blonde or is it just me?
Kent, Gawn, Fitz, Dawes, Riley, Clark, Tappy in rehab by the looks of it. Miller with them.
Forget Derrick Rose's return. Roosy is back. This is THE Return.
Alrighty. Now we're underway with a lap of Gosch's + stretches.
Jamar walking laps by the looks of it.
Jesus Dawes looks incredibly motivated. You can see the motivation in his eyes so much I had to put on sunnies.
Todd Viney is here with his OTHER son. YES. There is another one on the way in about seven years time. Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.
My questionable fashion sense is on show again - pink sunnies?
Runthroughs now. Just some quick ones by the looks of it initially.
More stretches? This is interested.
I'm in good form, have not touched a footy and have most certainly not kicked it into a tree... yet.
I'm slightly regretting not bringing a jumper for now but it'll get warmer... eventually.
Alright it looks like they are doing handball/groundwork drills.
The rehab group sounds as if they are drunk - random shouts of HEY!
Short kicks now around the ground.
Group comes in for a third time.
Meanwhile at rehab Dawes continues to look incredibly motivated and is in effect, training the house down. Possibly the suburb. Looks to have gained a couple of yards of pace. He is building.
Some upper body drills now. Bail, Grimes and Spencer not participating.
New strength drill, basically it's a one-on-one and you have to almost take the tackle. This is very brief.
Group splits into forwards, mids and defenders. The midfield are doing an extension of the drill I outlined briefly above but with an added teammate to shepherd.
Forward line doing a lead + kick to target 15m out from goal. Defenders look like they are doing a stoppage drill where they are working the ball out under pressure. There are two groups - one defends and one tries to get the ball out.
If we're as consistent as Melbourne's weather this season I'll be concerned.
Midfield are doing a similar drill to the defenders. Salem looks at home in this drill but he's still a fair way off playing with his skinny frame.
N Jones' pressure excellent in this drill - lays a tackle and then intercepts a handpass.
Another drill - three handballs then a kick to leading forward. #1 forward Jake Spencer at one side. Kingy on the other side.
Extension of same drill. Byrnes' pressure here is something we should have seen last year.
JACK WATTS ON THE BURST. YES YES YES. WOW.
Jack Viney on the sidelines along with Pickles. A few light jogs to say the least.
Once again Dawes looking the best of the rehab group. I reckon he'll be back in full training before you know it. Looks good for round one at this rate.
Pick up/ride bump/hands off drill again. Spencer clearly bumping the hardest which just doesn't surprise me whatsoever.
Extension of drill which now involves a kick. Spencer kicks. *covers eyes*
Jack Viney leaving the track early.
All righty, what's... ah. It's switch/down the line/hands off/run/kick to forward/goal. In order I think, anyway.
Trenners is in SUPERB form. Leading, talking, the lot.
Words I'd never thought I'd utter. Howe drops a simple chest mark. Not wow.
Bernie Vince is still tracking at around 70 odd %. Clearly not at full pace. Drilling passes though.
SUNLIGHT!!! Just about time to whip the 30+ out.
Good drill, skills looking alright. Few misses here and there but otherwise good.
Two seperate groups doing stoppage work.
JKH spinning, weaving, all very quick. So much so there's a cop standing around watching. Somehow I think this will end differently to the PSO ads if he keeps burning up the track and will lose demerit points.
Clisby running laps.
Group split in two again. One is doing similar to what was one before. The other... I'm not sure yet. Still not sure as it finishes.
Okay I think they are doing stoppage work. I think. Maybe.
Saw Spencer try to pick up a low ball. Had a LOL.
Group comes back in again.
Match simulation. OH MY LORD.
N Jones and JKH dominating! Jones is getting the footy frequently, JKH getting into the right spots. Setting the example again - whistle stops play but he stretches to make a spoil.
Terlich getting a lot of praise from Roosy for his pressure.
Group comes in again.
A looooooooooong chat (presumably Roosy talking about his holiday) and now some running. Tom McDonald typically dominating.
Deadset Roosy offers a Chuck Norris-like aura around the club.
Most players off now... except for the midfield group who have stayed on.

• Like 14

He's not quick, but I think the thing that has hurt his game the most in the last couple years has been - in order of impact - injuries, instructed to be negatively focussed, and terrible form.

Work out a way to set him free and hunt the footy and then we can measure how much his lack of quickness affects his game.

Don't need quick midfielders, but you do need good midfielders.

You also need to combine that with his efficiency by foot which also fell away. So it compounded the problem. Not only wasnt he quick but when he got the ball he wasnt disposing well. Now I am not suggesting that he is like Greg Williams but there was a footballer who like treacle that was deadly efficient at getting the ball and moving the ball. His efficiency first by hand but later in his career by foot made his lack of foot speed a non issue.

How is Grimes going at training?

Grimes trained the whole session and trained well. Sure with the ball, read the play well as a back and kicked well.

On Trengove. He's been played out of position for the last two years as a high half forward. In this position he gets caught out with his lack of pace running up the ground to defend and doesn't have the pace when the ball comes over the back. His true position is as an inside mid and most of the comparisions like Hayes, Sewell, Selwood, Cross, Boyd and Black are to inside mids. He has the characteristics to play this position - courage, good hands, poise, stamina and an ability to find the ball.

Whilst Demonlanders will hate this I think the best comparison is with Brock McLean who coincidently out sprinted Trenners to a ball last year. Trengove is better in the air and can possibly play more positions when resting, but his problem is his lack of speed and lateral movement.

And I agree with others that this isn't bagging Trenners who is a ripping bloke and has been wonderfully loyal to MFC, it just recognizes his characteristics.

• Like 3

Roger Mellie - thanks for that detailed report (and all others who have posted too).

And, by the way, how was Dawes looking? Focussed??? :rolleyes:

I watched Trengove on the run yesterday and I think references to his slowness are exaggerated. He looks slower than he is. The key for Trengove is fitness to run freely. When he is fit he moves well. He looks fitter to me, and whilst not being a speedster, he is every bit as mobile as Daniel Cross (who ain't no speedster either!)

So maybe mobility and the willingness to run will make a difference!

He is a very good mark for his size and a good tackler so half forward is his place He could surprise if very fit

• Like 1

So maybe mobility and the willingness to run will make a difference!

He is a very good mark for his size and a good tackler so half forward is his place He could surprise if very fit

You have my vote for what it is worth

Roger Mellie - thanks for that detailed report (and all others who have posted too).

And, by the way, how was Dawes looking? Focussed??? :rolleyes:

Roger didn't do that training report. You can thank him but if you want to ask questions about the report - off to Big Footy you go to find Tasmanlvr...

Anything negative uttered about any Melbourne player is categorised as 'bagging' in your book old mate. Why don't you do us all a favour and leave it up to mods to decide?

• Like 1

Roger didn't do that training report. You can thank him but if you want to ask questions about the report - off to Big Footy you go to find Tasmanlvr...

Groan...

Ongoing joke, rpfc that you seem to have missed...

• Like 1