AFL NATIONAL DRAFT - Pick 57 or is it 58?

Whispering_Jack

As things stand our third pick overall is 58 which we gained in the Tyson/GWS megaswap. I'm sure someone picked at that number in the past turned out a better player for their chosen team than Richard Lounder or Tom Scully but to help us out in determining how difficult a proposition it is to pick a star with this number, let's take a look at who the bigfooty draft mavens Knightmare and Chris25 in the range 56 to 60 (I've deleted the clubs to which the picks are attached as they're no longer relevant):-

Knightmare

#56 Louis Herbert (VIC Util)

Height: 187cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 27/06/1994

Recruited from: North Ballarat Rebels

Style: Clinton Young (More ability forward of centre)

Player comparison:

Range: 35-rookie

Profile: Tall utility who missed out last year through the draft but has come back a much improved player this year. Herbert last year was a strong marking medium forward who could really hit the scoreboard in a big way, but did so inconsistently with some big games but then some quiet games. This year Herbert has shifted up the field more onto a wing and the move has payed off and as a result hes playing some consistently strong footy where hes playing strong football every week and is doing damage with his touches. Herbert is more that outside linkup player but has some real class and hurt factor to him and a long penetrating kick to him. Athletically hes excellent with a combination of pace, agility, endurance and a good leap on him. But being that tall who can really get forward and take some strong marks thats where his real value comes in my view and makes him different to the next outside type giving him that extra bit of versatility.

#57 Nathan Gordon (SANFL Mid/Fwd)

Height: 188cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 12/02/1990

Recruited from: North Adelaide

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 40-rookie

Profile: Gordon is a former Sydney Swan rookie who has hit back this season and has been excellent in the SANFL. Hes dominated through the midfield and up forward at various stages this season. Up forward hes presented as a strong marking target as a land a goalkicking threat. While through the midfield hes winning a combination of his own ball and uncontested ball which is pleasing. Hes a good size and with the improvement he has shown that he can be someone who could play as a rotational midfielder who can also do damage up forward hes a pretty natural fit for a team looking for an immediate player.

#58 George Hewett (SA Mid/Fwd)

Height: 185cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 29/12/1995

Recruited from: North Adelaide

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 35-rookie

Profile: Hewett is a young, high production midfielder who can also play forward. He has some class to him and finds the footy inside and outside the contest which is pleasing. I liked the glimpses I saw of him through the u18 champs and he has the opportunity to be drafted.

#59 Darcy Lang (VIC Mid)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 21/11/1995

Recruited from: Geelong Falcons

Style:

Player comparison:

Range: 30-rookie

Profile: Lang is a hard inside player who will win you the contested ball and clearances but also has a strong tackling game. Lang has excellent endurance and a strong work rate working both ways. Lang most stands out with his ability to distribute by hand inside the contest to the outside runners really getting down and dirty and rarely missing a target by hand.

#60 Isaiah Miller (VIC Def/Mid)Height: 187cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 07/01/1995

Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers

Style:

Player comparison: Jordan Russell

Range: 20-60

Profile: Miller is a back flanker who plays a good two way game. He reads it well behind the ball and get his share of intercept marks. Knows when to go 3rd man up. Wins his 1v1 contests. Hes also an excellent user of the footy as someone who can also by foot generate some real drive from the back half as a precise user of the footy. Miller has the ability to play a role either on a back flank or wing. He just lacks that one quality that really pops out at you.

#61 David Mirra (VIC Def)

Height: 186cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 20/03/1991

Recruited from: Box Hill Hawks

Style: Michael Hibberd

Player comparison:

Range:

Profile: Mirra is a defender who plays a strong two way game. He can provide rebound with his footskills excellent but then he also wins his 1v1 and doesnt leak opposition impact making him a strong option for a team if looking for someone more immediate.

#62 Dwayne Wilson (SA Mid/Fwd)

Height: 178cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 17/01/1995

Recruited from: Sturt

Style: Danyle Pearce

Player comparison:

Profile: Wilson is a very damaging outside player who you just want the ball in the hands of. Has some genuine linebreaking pace and really takes the game on but then also has the damaging footskills to go with it. Has some penetration on his kick and on a wing any time he gets forward of centre he loves a goal and generally hits the scoreboard really doing some damage. He will need to get stronger and start winning his own ball more as he can really go quiet for stretches of games and lack consistency from game to game but when hes up and going he can get his hands on it hell break games open.

Chris25

56. Orazio Fantasia (176cm, 64kg forward - Norwood)

There are quite a few small forwards on offer in this draft, and not only that but there are a good handful from just South Australia alone. The toughest thing for these players this season wasn't to play well, it was to stand out from the crowd. And Orazio Fantasia did just that in the U18 Championships this year, despite not being on everyone's radar coming into the season. He didn't play in the first round match, but kicked 7 goals in the remaining four games and was arguably the best small forward in the tournament - although the All Australian selectors decided to go with midfielders in the forward pockets. Fantasia has also made his senior SANFL debut this year, spending the rest of his time in the Reserves. He isn't ever going to win much more than 15 disposals, but he is a real livewire up forward and always seems to have a hand in scoring plays. Unselfish player with good speed, he is a genuine crumbing forward with real x-factor. And while he might not be quite as annoying, he reminds me a little of Hayden Ballantyne.

57. Clayton McCartney (178cm, 74kg forward - Dandenong)

There really are a lot of small forwards in this draft, and Clayton McCartney is one I've always liked. He just that extra little bit of size that some others don't, what with being closer to the 180cm mark and being reasonably strong in his body. But I may be alone in rating him highly, as he only received a State Screening invite unlike some of his competition. Inconsistency can be a bit of an issue (but that's true for all small forwards) but what I like is that he has had some genuinely big games - has had a few hauls of 4+ goals. He has good speed, and sitting on the edges of the packs he can be dangerous going forward. He has also worked hard on his game, improving his numbers in both disposals and tackles since last year. He's just a clever player. Consistency, scope for improval and midfield potential would be the criticism. But it's the same for every player his type coming out of the U18s.

58. Tom Barrass (192cm, 81kg defender - Claremont)

Another one of those key position players who stepped up during the Championships, Tom Barrass held down the full back position for West Australia and really took charge of the back half. Directing the traffic and reading the play really is a strength of his as a defender, and it's one of the reasons I rate him higher than others. He isn't the most eye catching defender, but that's certainly not a bad thing. He spoils well, and seems to have a good understanding of when to zone off his opponent. And when he does have the ball in hand, he tends to make the right decisions. Barrass is basically the definition of a late bloomer - until a growth spurt, he wasn't on anyone's radar. Not a part of any underage squads, it was only this season that he was a late call up to the U18 program on the back of a solid start to the year in the WAFL. Could do a Tom Swift and choose to study, but give him a chance from the third round onwards and I think he has better than average odds of making it as a player.

59. Jonathon Freeman (198cm, 95kg forward - Aspley)

Jonathon Freeman will be going to Brisbane as part of their Academy.

60. Sean Lemmens (184cm, 76kg defender - Port Adelaide)

Of all the 19 year olds playing in the Championships this season, Lemmens would be competing with Nankervis as the most improved. Last year, he wasn't named in the U18 squad and didn't receive even a state screening invite. He did get a tryout with Port Adelaide prior to the rookie draft, but that's it. So he really has come from nowhere, considering he has played in every game for South Australia this year. Last season, he tended to play more across half forward and he was fine without ever standing out. But this year, he has moved to the back line and has been excellent - consistently being named in the better players, even winning 24 touches against Vic Country. Lemmens is reading the ball really well coming into the defensive 50, and is heavily involved in linking up out of the back line. I think he'll get his chance in the draft this season, and has some good football blood lines - including having Geelong's Allen Christensen as a cousin.

I like a few of Chris25's picks here. Barrass based only on name because it makes such a great fit with the MFC while McCartney and Lemmens sound exciting. The fact that the latter is related to Geelong's Allen Christensen won't hurt his prospects.

One of:

Chris Cain (VIC – Mid/Fwd)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 14/07/1987
Recruited from: Port Melbourne
Style:
Player comparison: Sam Dywer
Range: late/rookie
Profile: Cain has been one of the better performed players in the VFL these past few seasons and seems finally hot on the radar of clubs this season. Cain is a midfielder with a nice skill set but also strong hands overhead allowing him to be a marking threat when he pushes forward. Athletically he’s above average with a nice combination of pace and endurance at his disposal.

Dayle Garlett (WA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 09/01/1994
Recruited from: Swan Districts Football Club
Style: Harley Bennell
Player comparison:
Range: 20-undrafted
Profile: Quality midfielder who can sneak forward and have an impact. Garlett has game-breaking pace and uses it to advantage with regularity and is willing to take running bounces and take the ball as far as the opposition let him. Decision making excellent and even when pressured or in congestion still makes the right decision most of the time. Finishing around goal good. Left footer with some nice penetration and hurt factor on his kick and hits his targets easily over a variety of distances. Can also use his right boot and use it well. Has the ability to really hit the scoreboard and be very damaging with the influence he can have on some games. Also when the ball hits the ground I like how he immediately has that quickness of mind and body to get to the ball quicker than everyone and quickly get the ball onto hit boot for a goal. Garlett is also very capable of winning his own ball and playing on the ball and not just outside. Dayle still needs to build more strength through the hips so that he can stand up in tackles, but there is a fair bit to like about his game. Also defensively can continue to get better to compliment his incredible offensive game. The main questions with Garlett are around his personality and attitude and if he can convince a club that he will keep his head down and not be a problem player he has the opportunity to get drafted.

OR:

Jake Kolodjashnij (TAS – KPD/Util)

Height: 192cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 09/08/1995
Recruited from: Launceston
Style: Ryan Shoenmakers
Player comparison:
Profile: The brother of Kade, Jake is a completely different player. Jake is a defender with a strong body and the ability to shut down opposition forwards or play as a rebounder as required. What I like with Jake is his versatility and ability to play a number of roles either as a key defender or even as more of a rebounder off a back flank. But in saying that I’m not yet sold on him in any one role. As a key defender despite his size he can struggle 1v1 and also struggle when the ball hits the deck with that second effort not yet there.

• Like 2

One of:

Chris Cain (VIC – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 14/07/1987

Recruited from: Port Melbourne

Style:

Player comparison: Sam Dywer

Range: late/rookie

Profile: Cain has been one of the better performed players in the VFL these past few seasons and seems finally hot on the radar of clubs this season. Cain is a midfielder with a nice skill set but also strong hands overhead allowing him to be a marking threat when he pushes forward. Athletically he’s above average with a nice combination of pace and endurance at his disposal.

Dayle Garlett (WA – Mid/Fwd)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 09/01/1994

Recruited from: Swan Districts Football Club

Style: Harley Bennell

Player comparison:

Range: 20-undrafted

Profile: Quality midfielder who can sneak forward and have an impact. Garlett has game-breaking pace and uses it to advantage with regularity and is willing to take running bounces and take the ball as far as the opposition let him. Decision making excellent and even when pressured or in congestion still makes the right decision most of the time. Finishing around goal good. Left footer with some nice penetration and hurt factor on his kick and hits his targets easily over a variety of distances. Can also use his right boot and use it well. Has the ability to really hit the scoreboard and be very damaging with the influence he can have on some games. Also when the ball hits the ground I like how he immediately has that quickness of mind and body to get to the ball quicker than everyone and quickly get the ball onto hit boot for a goal. Garlett is also very capable of winning his own ball and playing on the ball and not just outside. Dayle still needs to build more strength through the hips so that he can stand up in tackles, but there is a fair bit to like about his game. Also defensively can continue to get better to compliment his incredible offensive game. The main questions with Garlett are around his personality and attitude and if he can convince a club that he will keep his head down and not be a problem player he has the opportunity to get drafted.

OR:

Jake Kolodjashnij (TAS – KPD/Util)

Height: 192cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 09/08/1995

Recruited from: Launceston

Style: Ryan Shoenmakers

Player comparison:

Profile: The brother of Kade, Jake is a completely different player. Jake is a defender with a strong body and the ability to shut down opposition forwards or play as a rebounder as required. What I like with Jake is his versatility and ability to play a number of roles either as a key defender or even as more of a rebounder off a back flank. But in saying that I’m not yet sold on him in any one role. As a key defender despite his size he can struggle 1v1 and also struggle when the ball hits the deck with that second effort not yet there.

I would be happy to take Cain with #40. Will be a good AFL player immediately and adds some pace, skill and spread to our midfield.

Garlett may slip to the rookie draft because clubs may be reluctant to give him two years.

We need small fwds or key backs.

small fwd option. Dayle Gartlett ... I would grab at 40 so stands up if we ignored him at 40, this dead pick at 57 is worth a risk.

key back here. maybe Joel Tippett from West Adelaide. Former Suns rookie had shown he is the best full back outside the AFL

I like a few of Chris25's picks here. Barrass based only on name because it makes such a great fit with the MFC while McCartney and Lemmens sound exciting. The fact that the latter is related to Geelong's Allen Christensen won't hurt his prospects.

Surely McCartney is a must if we take Lennon with Pick 9

• Like 2

Jay Kennedy-Harris, that sort of crumbing forward/wing that we could use.

Edited by thedeeman

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/mitch-honeychurch

Really like the look of Honeychurch. Small goalkicking mid who will start as a forward no doubt and fits our needs.

Has a fierce attack on the footy despite his size and from all reports is a fierce trainer.

20.5 possesions and better then two goals a game in the TAC Cup this year and just under 25 possesions and better then a goal a game in the U18's carnival. He's also petty good in the air for his size.

Keeping my fingers crossed we land this kid!

A 9. Marcus Bontempelli, Nathan Freeman or Christian Salem 40. Cameron Giles & 57. Mitch Honeychurch draft will make my night Thursday night!

Edit: First names.

Edited by Tall Defence

Really like the look of Honeychurch. Small goalkicking mid who will start as a forward no doubt and fits our needs.

Has a fierce attack on the footy despite his size and from all reports is a fierce trainer.

20.5 possesions and better then two goals a game in the TAC Cup this year and just under 25 possesions and better then a goal a game in the U18's carnival. He's also petty good in the ir for his size.

A 9. Bontempelli, Freeman or Salem 40. Giles & 57. Honeychurch draft will make my night Thursday night!

when i first read this i thought u wanted Gilies redrafted! haha

20.5 possesions and better then two goals a game in the TAC Cup this year and just under 25 possesions and better then a goal a game in the U18's carnival. He's also petty good in the air for his size.

A 9. Marcus Bontempelli, Nathan Freeman or Christian Salem 40. Cameron Giles & 57. Mitch Honeychurch draft will make my night Thursday night!

Edit: First names.

had the pleasure of meeting this kid

hes a dwarf and wont grow any more

very well spoken and knowledgable about the game

said he wasn't confident of being drafted,scouts also indicated that to him

super skills,not sure about his pace

also said boyd is the real deal