• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Scott Selwood

McQueen

Funnily enough Scott was a more complete and higher regarded junior than any of his brothers. Joel had the benefit of slotting into a football juggernaut with amazing talent and coaches around him.

If he wants to come offer pick 2. We are proof high draft picks don't just become elite players.

Pick 2 might become a star. I can't understand why anyone would want to trade "might be a star" for "certainly isn't a star".

• Like 5

Pick 2 might become a star. I can't understand why anyone would want to trade "might be a star" for "certainly isn't a star".

Could become a slow flanker forced to rotate through the midfield.... I do love trenners but lets face it he's not in selwoods league.

• Like 3

Selwood for pick 2 is probably the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

Because he isn't worth pick 2.

There are no guarantees with drafting, but at the very least, a player we take with pick 2 should develop into the level that Scott Selwood currently plays at. At best, pick 2 could develop into Joel Selwood.

Pick 2 for Scott Selwood. Just when I thought it couldn't get sillier than Pick 2 for a 30 year old Mundy. Pick 20 to 25 would be about right. West Coast would pack his bags and have him out the door in a flash for Pick 2.

It's extraordinary, isn't it. Scott Selwood is a classic good ordinary footballer. Some are so desperate and dumbed down they'd sell the silverware for anything.

Scott Selwood is easily worth pick 2 or possible pick 3, he is only 23 (not even in his prime yet) and statistically he is not too far off Joel. I can only presume you lot don't watch too many WCE games and are only caught up in the media frenzie of this fishbowl we call Melbourne.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=19&pid1=2322&tid2=10&pid2=1725&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

I wouldn't exactly consider pick 2 as silverware, the draft is the most overrated thing in the AFL. Every year we hear people harp on about certain players, as if they are "Gods gift" throw in a couple buzz words like "classy" and "Rolls Royce" and every man and their dog want them.

A few of you have just given some prime examples on how one can overrate the draft. YES you can get the odd star at pick two like Cotchin, however alternatively you can also your average Luke [ball], or Wells, or Koschitzke. On the contrary you can get the odd star in the late 10's or early teens (often a case ever year) or in the 20's to rookies. It all comes down to development. I notice we haven't heard too many people harp on this year about the 2012 draftees.

Also 361, I'd look good playing footy in Geelong's team while the likes of Bartel, GAJ (previously), Chapman, and Stevie J were being tagged or passing to me.

• Like 1

Funnily enough Scott was a more complete and higher regarded junior than any of his brothers. Joel had the benefit of slotting into a football juggernaut with amazing talent and coaches around him.

If he wants to come offer pick 2. We are proof high draft picks don't just become elite players.

So you'd rather Scott Selwood instead of Aish, Kelly, Sheed, Boyd if GWS pass...... I wouldn't.

So you'd rather Scott Selwood instead of Aish, Kelly, Sheed, Boyd if GWS pass...... I wouldn't.

We need seasoned and durable ball winners that can play in the midfield. We have these great 'book-ends' to the team but no guts to help them score goals or to defend. Relying on another set of kids to come in, as good as they appear, will not help the predicament we're in right now.

Could become a slow flanker forced to rotate through the midfield.... I do love trenners but lets face it he's not in selwoods league.

If you're going to give up on the possibility of picking a star because "they could become a slow flanker", then enjoy watching a side that finishes 6-14 for the rest of eternity. If we took that attitude, we might as well just fold now.

Of course there's a risk that you might get a not-much-better-than-average player at #2. Surely taking that risk is a no-brainer though, given the potential reward?

• Like 2

It's extraordinary, isn't it. Scott Selwood is a classic good ordinary footballer. Some are so desperate and dumbed down they'd sell the silverware for anything.

It's extraordinary that you sit here in judgement , as if you're some sort of talent spotting guru with runs on the board.

You wanted Lance Whitnall for Brad Green. Fact.

You wanted Clayton Collard over Nathan Jones. Fact

I could continue but don't feel the need.

Good to see you haven't changed and you're still the [censored] you've always been, consistent if nothing else.

• Like 1

If we could trade picks 1 and 3 (hypothetical PP I know) for a Sloane and Selwood and maybe a later first rounder I would be over the moon. We would have an instantly competitive midfield with Viney, Toumpas and Kent to come on. We are bereft of midfield talent in the 22-25 year bracket and a guy like Aish would look like another lost puppy without some senior players around him FFS.

It's extraordinary that you sit here in judgement , as if you're some sort of talent spotting guru with runs on the board.

You wanted Lance Whitnall for Brad Green. Fact.

You wanted Clayton Collard over Nathan Jones. Fact

I could continue but don't feel the need.

Good to see you haven't changed and you're still the [censored] you've always been, consistent if nothing else.

You still lurking in the shadows. I'm surprised you haven't tried to pm me. Oh wait, you can't.

Fact: I knew nothing about Clayton Collard and never saw him play. Provide a relevant quote and we'll discuss the content. But make sure you provide a trail if it's relevant. Dare you.

Fact: I wanted Nathan Jones, as Craig Cameron and others round here knew; and CAC subsequently confirmed to me in a pm. I can share if you like.

Fact: Lance Whitnall reached greater heights than Brad Green, just not for long enough. Did I make a post saying he'd be a good get for Melbourne once upon a time. Don't know and don't give a ****. I've put them on the line thousands of times in 11 years. So what ?

Btw, I'd love Selwood and Sloane, but neither are worth pick two as a stand alone - imo. And Sloane isn't going anywhere. Together they would be, especially when one considers our plight. So we can bore others and exchange snipes, or you can man up and explain how we get Selwood by using pick 2, but extracting more out of the deal. Over to you.

I'd trade pick 2 for Taylor Adams and GWS' pick 18, but some wouldn't agree.

You still lurking in the shadows. I'm surprised you haven't tried to pm me. Oh wait, you can't.

Fact: I knew nothing about Clayton Collard and never saw him play. Provide a relevant quote and we'll discuss the content. But make sure you provide a trail if it's relevant. Dare you.

Fact: I wanted Nathan Jones, as Craig Cameron and others round here knew; and CAC subsequently confirmed to me in a pm. I can share if you like.

Fact: Lance Whitnall reached greater heights than Brad Green, just not for long enough. Did I make a post saying he'd be a good get for Melbourne once upon a time. Don't know and don't give a ****. I've put them on the line thousands of times in 11 years. So what ?

Btw, I'd love Selwood and Sloane, but neither are worth pick two as a stand alone - imo. And Sloane isn't going anywhere. Together they would be, especially when one considers our plight. So we can bore others and exchange snipes, or you can man up and explain how we get Selwood by using pick 2, but extracting more out of the deal. Over to you.

I'd trade pick 2 for Taylor Adams and GWS' pick 18, but some wouldn't agree

Ole habits die hard, I couldn't resist,

I'm not advocating getting Selwood for pick 2, at all. I'm saying he'd certainly add something to our midfield and he is a definite talent.

I like Adams, I like Adams immensely, I'd do that deal, so long as we had another midfielder lined up with 18 to *add* to our midfield.

Just for giggles.

Sent 28 September 2006 - 11:04 AM

No worries.

Fwiw here's CAC's envisaged top 10 (not in order):

"Bryce Gibbs - 187cm on baller.
Matthew Leuenberger - 202cm Ruckman
Lachlan Hansen - 195cm KPP either end
Scott Gumbleton - 198cm KPP
James Sellar - 194cm Ruckman/KPP (Too small for ruck obviously)
Mitchell Thorp - 196cm KPP
Clayton Collard - 180cm Small Forward
Joel Sellwood - 183cm onballer
David Armitage - 183cm onballer
Jack Riewoldt - 191cm KPP."

Keep this to yourself please. It's no real big deal and he recognises it's generally already in the public, but as it's his thoughts I'd like it to remain in the 'cone of silence'.

As you can see, he rates Collard as likely top 10, but I agree, most pundits don't have him quite so high. He mainly appears in the 10-15 category. I'd love him at 12, but I don't know if CAC will take him if he's still there. I have no idea what CAC's after, nor whom he rates.

Anyway, cheers.
Hannabal - all things footy.

Lone Wolf - join Wolfy dismantling the loonie Left on the general forum.

I'd trade pick 2 for Taylor Adams and GWS' pick 18, but some wouldn't agree

More,

Sent 28 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

I'd rather not post this on Ology, but here's what I've gleaned.

"15) Clayton Collard

Midfielder

181cms and 76kgs.
4/12/88
South Fremantle

An aboriginal player from Western Australia who is a team mate of Leroy Jetta. Has good pace and is a very good kick of the ball. Superb goal sense and just seems to know where they are and is so natural in that regard. Has played as a defender and also as a wing and shows himself to be versatile and a very adaptable player. Did not look lost in those roles but I do feel he is better suited as an attacking player who gets his own ball rather than a player who works off an opponent. In the forward line is where he does his best work. Either setting up a goal with a precise kick or finishing the work himself.

Capable of winning the ball in the crushes as well and will not hesitate to put his head over it and he is quite a reasonable size for a player who has only just turned 17. Good body size and a decent height to go with speed, skill and versatility. A little bit of an impact player rather than a consistent one but a lot of that can be put down to playing on the half forward “graveyard”. Not too sure about his endurance to play a game out on the ball at this stage.Reasonable in the air for his size but is better with the ball on the ground.

Looks like playing some senior games with South Fremantle in the WAFL this year and then be part of the WA team for the U18 Championships where they will be hard to beat. He played in them last year but was on the bench for most of it.

A very clever and athletic player who has flair, poise and a real cutting edge to his work in the forward line. Will develop more and more as a midfielder over time and has all the tools to become a dangerous midfielder when he is finished. A very smooth mover who is effortless and anticipates well and reads the play.

A bigger and stronger version of his close friend Jetta. Not as quick or as exciting but that is more a case of how good Jetta is rather than something lacking in Collard. I think in time he will become a very attacking wing who can go forward and kick goals as well as run and carry the ball and show poise and class as a link player."

Also, from BF

"Collard is a freak, i personally rate him on equal terms with Selwood, but it seems he might slip, which is astonishing, as it would be rediculous if a team that finished in the top 4 gets to add this guy to their team, especially west coast.

Mel Brown has been reported as saying he thinks by the end of his career, Collard will be the greatest ever Western Australian footballer in history, ahead of Maurice Riolo, thats how much talent he thinks he has.

Is fairly quick, good height, may need to put on a bit of size, extremely good disposal, excellent decision making, probably the best in the draft. Has the Dal Santo "poise", has the flair of the aboriginal players, and gets plenty of touches. When he gets it, he does special things, ala Judd, Wells etc, your expecting something to happen, which is a rare gift.

Is daylight ahead of Jetta in my opinion, but others dont agree, can play forward, and loves to drift forward in the midfield and kick a goal.

If i had a pick anywhere in the 8-16 range and he was still available, and you wanted a midfielder, i would gobble it up, if he slips past that, and say Carlton gets him,then you have a massive bargain. gibbs, murphy and collard would be the equivelant of Judd, Kerr and Cousins in 3-4 years."

Sleeve, he just sounds exactly what we lack in the midfield

If you're going to give up on the possibility of picking a star because "they could become a slow flanker", then enjoy watching a side that finishes 6-14 for the rest of eternity. If we took that attitude, we might as well just fold now.

Of course there's a risk that you might get a not-much-better-than-average player at #2. Surely taking that risk is a no-brainer though, given the potential reward?

I really dont see how taking a guy like selwood will put us back. Look where we are right now.

Selwood or Sloane etc aren't going to stop us from picking future stars in the coming drafts if we are shrewd in our trading and can actually foster proper development post draft.

• Like 1

Exactly how good do you think Aish, Kelly, and Sheed (midfielders) are? And which one would you take because that is the challenge. Also what do you base it off... media hype?

Why not trade pick 2 for Coniglio, O'Rourke, or Macrae... they are in the same category as those stated above... I doubt anyone here would.

I'm sure one of these three midfielders you've stated will turn out to be great, although it's likely in time one or two will disappoint and not live up to expectations.

Also I ask would you trade pick 2 for Joel Selwood? I'm sure everyone here would in a heartbeat. If so what would be the maximum you’d pay, again I'm sure most people here would be happy to pay overs (more than pick 2).

As for Scott he's not that far off Joel he matches him in nearly all areas of his game ex. shots on goal and assists.

So I look forward to seeing what he'll produce within the next 2-3 years and YES I would want S. Selwood over 1 of those three midfielders that you've stated.

If you still think little of Scott Selwood look at the statistics below in comparison to his brother.

Both in their 6th season: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=19&pid1=2322&tid2=10&pid2=1725&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2012

• Like 3

I really dont see how taking a guy like selwood will put us back. Look where we are right now.

Selwood or Sloane etc aren't going to stop us from picking future stars in the coming drafts if we are shrewd in our trading and can actually foster proper development post draft.

If you think that's what I said or it's the point I'm trying to argue, I'm afraid I'm no longer able to help you.

If you think that's what I said or it's the point I'm trying to argue, I'm afraid I'm no longer able to help you.

Are you vying for number 1 [censored] on here?

Your opinion is just that and its no more valid than mine or any other supporter.

Are you vying for number 1 flog on here?

Your opinion is just that and its no more valid than mine or any other supporter.

Yes, number one flog is my chief ambition.

I'm not against differing opinions. I'm just not going to argue with someone who has at best misinterpreted, or at worst misrepresented what I have said in a gross fashion. You're clearly not catching what I'm pitching so I'm giving up.

Edit: if it helps, in principle I'd love it if we picked up Scott Selwood and don't think it would set us back in the least. My problem isn't with Scott Selwood.

Edited by Nasher
  • Like 3

Scott Selwood isn't worth pick 2 and that's what WCE will ask for him, people get seduced by the fact he is a Selwood and don't really look at his football ability,

good player but not worth pick 2, pick 10-15 would be a different story, he is no better than Wellingham and he was deemed to be worth pick 18

pick 2 for Selwood and pick 7 you might be onto something.

If we finished 14th sometime before the end of 2060 I wouldn't be home for a week due to excessive celebration. Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1

Exactly how good do you think Aish, Kelly, and Sheed (midfielders) are? And which one would you take because that is the challenge. Also what do you base it off... media hype?

Why not trade pick 2 for Coniglio, O'Rourke, or Macrae... they are in the same category as those stated above... I doubt anyone here would.

I'm sure one of these three midfielders you've stated will turn out to be great, although it's likely in time one or two will disappoint and not live up to expectations.

Also I ask would you trade pick 2 for Joel Selwood? I'm sure everyone here would in a heartbeat. If so what would be the maximum you’d pay, again I'm sure most people here would be happy to pay overs (more than pick 2).

As for Scott he's not that far off Joel he matches him in nearly all areas of his game ex. shots on goal and assists.

So I look forward to seeing what he'll produce within the next 2-3 years and YES I would want S. Selwood over 1 of those three midfielders that you've stated.

If you still think little of Scott Selwood look at the statistics below in comparison to his brother.

Both in their 6th season: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=19&pid1=2322&tid2=10&pid2=1725&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2012

Agreed

• Like 2

More,

Sent 28 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

I'd rather not post this on Ology, but here's what I've gleaned.

"15) Clayton Collard

Midfielder

181cms and 76kgs.

4/12/88

South Fremantle

An aboriginal player from Western Australia who is a team mate of Leroy Jetta. Has good pace and is a very good kick of the ball. Superb goal sense and just seems to know where they are and is so natural in that regard. Has played as a defender and also as a wing and shows himself to be versatile and a very adaptable player. Did not look lost in those roles but I do feel he is better suited as an attacking player who gets his own ball rather than a player who works off an opponent. In the forward line is where he does his best work. Either setting up a goal with a precise kick or finishing the work himself.

Capable of winning the ball in the crushes as well and will not hesitate to put his head over it and he is quite a reasonable size for a player who has only just turned 17. Good body size and a decent height to go with speed, skill and versatility. A little bit of an impact player rather than a consistent one but a lot of that can be put down to playing on the half forward “graveyard”. Not too sure about his endurance to play a game out on the ball at this stage.Reasonable in the air for his size but is better with the ball on the ground.

Looks like playing some senior games with South Fremantle in the WAFL this year and then be part of the WA team for the U18 Championships where they will be hard to beat. He played in them last year but was on the bench for most of it.

A very clever and athletic player who has flair, poise and a real cutting edge to his work in the forward line. Will develop more and more as a midfielder over time and has all the tools to become a dangerous midfielder when he is finished. A very smooth mover who is effortless and anticipates well and reads the play.

A bigger and stronger version of his close friend Jetta. Not as quick or as exciting but that is more a case of how good Jetta is rather than something lacking in Collard. I think in time he will become a very attacking wing who can go forward and kick goals as well as run and carry the ball and show poise and class as a link player."

Also, from BF

"Collard is a freak, i personally rate him on equal terms with Selwood, but it seems he might slip, which is astonishing, as it would be rediculous if a team that finished in the top 4 gets to add this guy to their team, especially west coast.

Mel Brown has been reported as saying he thinks by the end of his career, Collard will be the greatest ever Western Australian footballer in history, ahead of Maurice Riolo, thats how much talent he thinks he has.

Is fairly quick, good height, may need to put on a bit of size, extremely good disposal, excellent decision making, probably the best in the draft. Has the Dal Santo "poise", has the flair of the aboriginal players, and gets plenty of touches. When he gets it, he does special things, ala Judd, Wells etc, your expecting something to happen, which is a rare gift.

Is daylight ahead of Jetta in my opinion, but others dont agree, can play forward, and loves to drift forward in the midfield and kick a goal.

If i had a pick anywhere in the 8-16 range and he was still available, and you wanted a midfielder, i would gobble it up, if he slips past that, and say Carlton gets him,then you have a massive bargain. gibbs, murphy and collard would be the equivelant of Judd, Kerr and Cousins in 3-4 years."

Sleeve, he just sounds exactly what we lack in the midfield

None of that is written by me. I was merely sharing info. I even say to you "sounds what we lack in the midfield". Even you're own quote confirms I was listening to hearsay.

I never laid eyes on Collard, but had an opinion on the type he was and what we needed.

But i did find this on Demonology: "and Sleeve tells me that H wanted us to give up 3 picks for a young Clayton Collard"

The above quote was posted by TGR aka Rono in 2010.

Then this 15 months ago on Demonland: "Clayton Collard says Hi. Look forward to reading your contributions."

And this in April 2009: ""I think you forgot about H's call that Clayton Collard would be the saviour of the Melbourne midfield."

You're one strange bit of fruit, Sleeve. It seems you have a very unhealthy obsession with my views, as your last 3 posts will attest. Should I take out a restraining order ? Either seek medical attention, or I'll send you a signed photo.

Now even though I've shared this with you and others before, this is what I actually said on 19/10/2006 and can be verified: "I'll preface my short list by admitting I don't know enough about them and nor have I studied tham (sic) in play, it's just from reading and speaking to other like minded supporters."

"So at 12 the candidates may be Armitage, Proud, Connors, or Collard. A couple of these may be gone by 12, but they'll be thereabouts."

Now have I cleared that up for the last time ? Probably not, as I fear you're one sick obsessed unit. To think you crap on about a comment I made 7 years ago when I clearly state "I'll preface my short list by admitting I don't know enough about them and nor have I studied them in play, it's just reading and speaking to other like minded supporters" is extraordinary. Supposedly I told you "I'd love him at 12". If I did, and I don't recall, it would merely have been on the back of "hearsay". Look up the meaning.

But ultimately you win, I'm engaged in conversation with a nutjob, which is no doubt the objective.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

Using Dreamteam stats as a guide Scott Selwood's average points per game has increased every year since his debut. That is a sign of a player increasing his output and impacting on games more. I personally believe Supercoach is a more accurate guide of a players output but it could be the same upward curve. And as someone previously stated he is only 22 or 23? This is a guy we could absolutely put in our midfield. And I would use pick 2.

Scott Selwood isa gun!

He had been playing in a tagging role and for the start of his career which may of made him look "average" but his last to seasons have excellent.

Im not sure how people on here rate him so low. The stats are there that show he is not far of Joel Selwood at the same stage of his career. Picks a super overrated by the AFL public.

If we got him he would be our best player straight up. know kid in the draft could have that impact on our team for quite a few years.

Pros:

- Huge work rate

- Hard as rock.

- Leadership

- Ball magnet

- Tackling machine

- Still very young and is getting better.

- Instant MFC improvement.

Cons:

Pick 2 is worth it I think.