Levi Greenwood

Bring-Back-Powell

What are your thoughts on Greenwood?

Can't get a game in a strong North Melbourne midfield, but when he does play can accumulate ball.

Has only played 5 games this year, but two of them include a 38 possession game against Essendon (last week) and a 26 possession game against Richmond.

We badly need midfielders.

I would assume Greenwood would badly want a guaranteed game.

We aren't going to be an attractive destination for top midfielders unless they're money hungry, fringe players are our best Chance and of the fringe players greenwood should be target number 1.

Greenwood is exactly the type of player Melbourne can go after, so many have their heads in the sky when thinking that we could get a Sloane or an Adams. Although players like greenwood are not as appealing as the others he could be just as important to our 3rd world midfield.

Could maybe even get him with a straight swap for blease, or a late daft pick. Although I wouldn't mind using our first 2nd round draft to bundle up greenwood and another of the roos midfielders.

I agree with this. I don't mind paying topline mids big money if they want to come to us, such as Dusty Martin. But we may have to concede to the fact that we aren't the most attractive destination so fringe mids may be our best option to become more competitive next season. As for what I'd pay, if Greenwood wanted to leave for more opportunity I'd say a 3rd rounder would get the job done. No point paying overs for a fringe player.

I'd give them Sam Blease for Greenwood, i think Blease is an icing on the cake type player and right now we don't have a cake to ice, Blease or if Watts decides to leave maybe greenwood and their second round pick would be suitable

i'd take greenwood for Blease any day. Blease can be good, as he showed with 5 goals against stk last year, but as demonfan said he is more of an icing type player. The problem is we only have a base, not much of a middle.

• Like 1

Offer Levi Greenwood - 3 yrs at $300,000 per year. North could not match that. They would only see him as a fringe player worth a 1-2 year contract. He is behind Ziebell, Cunnington, Adams as that inside mid type at North.

We can attract these fringe players that given regular games will excel. We need hard, tough players.

Offer Levi Greenwood - 3 yrs at $300,000 per year. North could not match that. They would only see him as a fringe player worth a 1-2 year contract. He is behind Ziebell, Cunnington, Adams as that inside mid type at North.

We can attract these fringe players that given regular games will excel. We need hard, tough players.

EDIT - We need tough, hard and SKILLED players.

The reason he is not getting a game at north is because he is missing that last attribute.

Why fill the list with players who can win contested ball but not do much else? That's the sort of quick fix stuff Mark Neeld tried with Magner and Couch and both of them are the same sort of players as Greenwood.

• Like 1

EDIT - We need tough, hard and SKILLED players.

The reason he is not getting a game at north is because he is missing that last attribute.

Why fill the list with players who can win contested ball but not do much else? That's the sort of quick fix stuff Mark Neeld tried with Magner and Couch and both of them are the same sort of players as Greenwood.

Greenwood is not a quick fix Mark Neeld type player, greenwood is still 24 with plenty of years left in him and has shown great potential, getting 38 possessions against essendon in round 21 this year.

We have been comprehensively beaten in contested ball all year, we can't even get our hands on the ball little lone thinking about whether we can use it or not. A hard tough body like greenwood, who unlike magner and couch has a good burst of speed, would be perfect for us.

Edited by Powell

Greenwood is not a quick fix Mark Neeld type player, greenwood is still 24 with plenty of years left in him and has shown great potential, getting 38 possessions against essendon in round 21 this year.We have been comprehensively beaten in contested ball all year, we can't even get our hands on the ball little lone thinking about whether we can use it or not. A hard tough body like greenwood, who unlike magner and couch has a good burst of speed, would be perfect for us.

Ditto. Greenwood should be a real MFC target. No backward steps ...

Greenwood is not a quick fix Mark Neeld type player, greenwood is still 24 with plenty of years left in him and has shown great potential, getting 38 possessions against essendon in round 21 this year.

We have been comprehensively beaten in contested ball all year, we can't even get our hands on the ball little lone thinking about whether we can use it or not. A hard tough body like greenwood, who unlike magner and couch has a good burst of speed, would be perfect for us.

I'm sorry but your post is hogwash.

Greenwood is an extremely average footballer and I don't care that he got 38 possies against essendon this year. We need well rounded footballers, not one dimensional contested ball winners. He hasn't been getting a game because he doesn't do enough. Nor does he have the required skill to play the game.

And this whole contested ball talk has been so over-exaggerated over this past year. Our players lack trust in each other to win their own ball. Our players are dumb. Our players lack confidence. Our players don't spread well. We have a lack of skill. There are a number of other contributing factors that amplify this 'we can't win contested ball' nonsense. Our midfield lacks in a whole lot of areas and players like Greenwood will end up in the VFL after a year.

We wont be interested. I'll make the bet now. We need players who are skilled, tough and smart.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

I'll ask a question to the punters who are so keen for us to get him.

Out of all of North's up and coming mids from the 20-25 year age bracket, why is it that he has had such limited opportunities to play regular AFL football over the past two years?

Hint: It has something to do with ability...

Why do people believe if we were to recruit him he would excel? I mean maybe he would excel at our club but what does that say about our own midfield? Are we adding quality to it by getting him to the club?

I'm sorry but ya'll need to re-evaluate your standards. It's disgraceful.

I think the point is our midfield is so far behind North that even a player such as Greenwood would help improve it. People are being realistic about what types of players we will likely be able to attract come trade and free agency time. I highly doubt we will acquire a gun midfielder, but would be extremely happy if we did and think if the option is there paying overs for a topline mid would be worth it to our club. But the chances of that type of player wanting to join us is thin. And that is why people think Greenwood could be a good option for us. I don't think anyone thinks he will suddenly become a star but he would improve our ball winning ability which we badly need. The same could be said for Cross who I'm sure is also on our radar.

• Like 1

I think the point is our midfield is so far behind North that even a player such as Greenwood would help improve it. People are being realistic about what types of players we will likely be able to attract come trade and free agency time. I highly doubt we will acquire a gun midfielder, but would be extremely happy if we did and think if the option is there paying overs for a topline mid would be worth it to our club. But the chances of that type of player wanting to join us is thin. And that is why people think Greenwood could be a good option for us. I don't think anyone thinks he will suddenly become a star but he would improve our ball winning ability which we badly need. The same could be said for Cross who I'm sure is also on our radar.

I disagree again.

We cannot continue to inject our club with mediocre players. Look what we've done with Byrnes, Rodan, Gillies and Pederson.

We have Bail, Jetta, McKenzie, Nicholson, Magner, Couch etc. These players all lack ability. What makes you think Greenwood would be good for us? He can barely get a game at North and when he does he looks better because he plays with quality! Wake up!

I don't care if we don't get an A grade established mid at the end of the year but I will be in a fit of rage if we keep topping up this shithouse midfield we have with more mediocrity!

I am more than happy to keep finding mature age players who will change the habits of this list if and when they come along. Cross is the perfect player to target for that reason.

Greenwood is a massive no.

• Like 1

I disagree again.

We cannot continue to inject our club with mediocre players. Look what we've done with Byrnes, Rodan, Gillies and Pederson.

We have Bail, Jetta, McKenzie, Nicholson, Magner, Couch etc.

That's fair you're entitled to your opinion. I personally think he is a better option than all of the players listed besides maybe Mckenzie. In any case he may not even want to leave so it's not worth getting worked up over. It's a bit of a catch 22, we want better players to help our team get better, but until we are actually playing better we will struggle to attract the best players.

You need ballwinners. We lack such types. Only Nathan Jones is that key inside mid that can also run with the footy.

If we get young Aish at #2, he is a rolls Royce. But we will need Jones,Viney and say Greenwood to feed it out to Aish and Toumpas.

Stevethemanjordan ... name your likely pickups and why they would (a) come to MFC and (b) their skills & abilities. Critique the critic...

I think he is a solid B workman like footballer, at one stage North rated him very highly, not sure what has happened since but his 38 touches against the dons shows he isn't too bad,

wouldn't cost a heap either imo so just offer them Blease and maybe swap over later picks or something and really both parties get what they need.

• 1 month later...

I think he is a solid B workman like footballer, at one stage North rated him very highly, not sure what has happened since but his 38 touches against the dons shows he isn't too bad,

wouldn't cost a heap either imo so just offer them Blease and maybe swap over later picks or something and really both parties get what they need.

They also rated Gysberts,

ive heard we are interested in greenwood but wont offer much in return.