Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts - More Discussion (for those who haven't had enough)

dees189227

Firstly, I like the fact that Jack Watts was honest. If he was going to stay he would have signed by now or be well advanced in talks, so he didn’t tell us anything we don’t already know. Jack is weighing up his future and he has every right to do so.

I still think Watts is a good chance to stay if we can appoint a ‘profile’ coach in the near term. While Jack’s manager is probably advocating a move, I think he is likely to be offered ~$100K per season more at MFC than anywhere else.

Moreover, I hope he stays as I cannot see us winning in any trade. I think he will play his best footy as he gets stronger and nobody wants to come to MFC, so the best return is likely to be a draft pick ~#10.

Lastly, the anger of MFC supporters should not be directed at Jack if he goes, who, like the rest of us, has been badly let down by the club’s board and previous management, chiefly Schwab, Neeld and Prendegast.

This. I don't understand how from one appearance on the footy all these people bag him out all of a sudden? Against the Bulldogs he was our lord and saviour? He has his up's and down's like anybody else does and people saying he's either with us or GTFO need to re-visit some of their own posts about this club when we are losing games... (myself included) Anyway Jack was just being honest and who could blame him for being unsure about his future? I know a few people on here have said they have given up on MFC so why can't the players feel that way too?

• Like 2

I would suggest that the thing that has got the goat of many is he simply hasnt given any real foundation for backing his what can only be described as passive aggressive petulance.

After 5 years he really hasnt lit up the world. Those in the keep corner often and nearly always refer to his potential and its a fear of not reaping this which drives many to stick up for him.

You cant let fear drive you.

In the Nathan Jones interview on SEN a couple of days ago, in Tim Watson's quick 5 questions "Your favourite Jack at the club?" without hesitation Jones answered "Watts". That's the second strong endorsement of him from a respected team mate. Earlier in the year I heard Jack Grimes talk very genuinely positive of him too, said he's a key to keeping morale high in difficult times.

• Like 7

This is my first real post on here so no doubt ill probably annoy some people on here. For starters as the name suggests I live in Canberra, so I didn’t see Jack star last night but from what I read he was awesome.

When we drafted little Jack, to me, he was branded as the one who could turn things around. Yes the kid has some skills. He obviously show them when he was playing his school footy. It might have been a mistake to put this much pressure on a kid. Playing him in his first game against the morally and socially backward team of toothless thugs probably didn’t help and the fact the first touch in AFL he got thumped. From that moment he could have realised that AFL is the big league played by men with skills who run hard and hit hard too, OR he could rest on the fact that he will develop into a genuine footballer over time. I wonder which option Mr Watts chose.

There is no doubt the kid (I say kid because at 22 I was in no way calling myself a man) has skills. He shows them from time to time but IMO not enough. Defiantly not enough to hold off contract talks and effectively holding the club to ransom.

Good on him for going on TFS to sell his “brand”. I don’t know if it will do him any good tho. He could have done the club a favour. It is pretty clear that he will look at other offers from other clubs. It could backfire too. What if no other club could see him fitting into his list? What if he only gets mild interest and a really poor offer?. You are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for you.

If he stays or goes, I don’t really care. He has had 5 years to prove himself and to me he hasn’t. If he goes to another club, fine we can use it to get a midfielder. If he stays he could mature in the body AND IN THE HEAD and become a player that he should be. Either way I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Ok so that’s my little rant.

• Like 3

Well said. Unfortunately, it's not just footy anymore for these guys; its a profession------- a job. He has had to work for a basket case and if he chooses to leave, that is his right. We only have ourselves to blame if he does leave. It goes to show how much work PJ has in front of him. If we can put the right footy people in place in the off season, we may see a change of heart, but not for one minute do I blame a young guy for wanting some security for his future.

Maybe it was just his way of shaking things up. Long overdue in any event.

It's more than that to the likes of Brett Kirk and Cameron Ling. Perhaps that's the difference ...

• Like 2

Said it more than once. Jack will never reach his potential at the MFC. Do what's best for both parties and organize a decent trade. Jack needs to see other football cultures to realize that the MFC (2008-2013) isn't the norm. Cale Morton is finding that out the hard way over in WA as we speak.

Jack Watts needs to be released from this horribly managed club, that has thrown the kid to the wolves once too often...

It started when he was played against Colllingwood, well before he was ready, as a skinny year 12 student, as a marketing ploy by the club. Since then he has been the poster boy for pretty much every colossal failure (of which there have been an extraordinary amount) the club has bumbled their way into.

Last night was the final straw for me... there is no way, a kid, who has lived their adolescent years under pressure that would test a seasoned veteran, appear on national TV, at a time when there is speculation from every angle about his future. The fact that he clearly wasn't properly briefed on the most obvious of questions is yet another failing of the club's administration and has turned up the heat on him tenfold for no good reason.

Jack is a nice kid, an exceptional sporting talent and a potential asset to any club.

Jack is not a leader or a ruthless competitor, he's never pretended to be and people need to stop expecting it of him.

If Jack doesn't get out of that place soon, a really nice kid, just trying to find his place in the world like anyone else, is going to wind up in a padded cell.

There are more important things than Melbourne getting full value for their number one pick, especially since the club has let him and others down so many times.

The kid deserves better!

• Like 3

Jack Watts needs to be released from this horribly managed club, that has thrown the kid to the wolves once too often...

It started when he was played against Colllingwood, well before he was ready, as a skinny year 12 student, as a marketing ploy by the club. Since then he has been the poster boy for pretty much every colossal failure (of which there have been an extraordinary amount) the club has bumbled their way into.

Last night was the final straw for me... there is no way, a kid, who has lived their adolescent years under pressure that would test a seasoned veteran, appear on national TV, at a time when there is speculation from every angle about his future. The fact that he clearly wasn't properly briefed on the most obvious of questions is yet another failing of the club's administration and has turned up the heat on him tenfold for no good reason.

Jack is a nice kid, an exceptional sporting talent and a potential asset to any club.

Jack is not a leader or a ruthless competitor, he's never pretended to be and people need to stop expecting it of him.

If Jack doesn't get out of that place soon, a really nice kid, just trying to find his place in the world like anyone else, is going to wind up in a padded cell.

There are more important things than Melbourne getting full value for their number one pick, especially since the club has let him and others down so many times.

The kid deserves better!

I don't like this Jack Watts is the victim stuff, sure he has been mismanaged at times but he was a number 1 draftpick who doesn't hold a bootlace to the player he should be because of two key things he is missing, Work ethic and leadership, they aren't things we would have stripped from him, imo he is a fair weather player, will look a million dollars when the team is going well but when the heat is on you won't be able to find him.

• Like 2

What a pathetic load of flogs you all are.

"There's no doubt I love the club and I love the boys."

He said that very clearly. It was very clear.

He is unsure of his future. He's a 22-year-old with no success, looking down the barrell of another 3-4 years without playing finals. He wants to know that his employer is going to provide the environment necessary for him to thrive.

He's 22 for crying out loud.

Going by the tone in here I wouldn't blame him if he leaves.

He's not leaving. He's just riding the wave and seeing what decisions the club has made moving forward.

Ya'all would do the same if you were working at the worst organisation in your field, with no improvement in sight.

YUP!

Heaps of people said that they supported Tom Scully going for a big contract but somehow watts debating it is a problem...

Watts is on a hiding to nothing answering questions about his contract status. It's like the old 'have you stopped beating your wife yet' conundrum.

If he hasn't yet signed, all sorts of statements, from him or his manager, can be misconstrued or given emphasis they don't deserve.

To quote the Prime Minister of Australia: "just chill". Casting aspersions without knowing the outcome is pointless and dangerous.

That said, the 'cheer squad' was a bit embarrassing. Public schoolboy stuff.

• Like 3

YUP!

Heaps of people said that they supported Tom Scully going for a big contract but somehow watts debating it is a problem...

thats hardly what this is about at all.

$cully for all intents and purposes never really was a Demon as he had one eye on departure from the moment he was drafted. Watts however has been a Melbourne player in the true spirit. His lament isnt for a huge contract elsewhere, it seems to be a desire to be mollycoddled by an "understanding" coach

I think people need to have a broader perspective about this.

I didnt get a chance to see the footage. At the end of the day this is his job, and ultimately we are just key board warriors.

I understand why he would hold out for the next coach. Whilst I don't think it is a particularly great way to repay your team that has stood by you for 5 poor years I understand and I'd be making the same decision if I was him (mind you II [or my manager] wouldn't say it out loud)

If he doesn't want to stand by the club, if he doesn't want to perform in a position other than forward, if he doesn't want to play consistent games, if he doesn't want to be a part of a group and hold out till he approves of the coach then good riddance.

HOWEVER, that being said I wouldn't mind him on the team next year.

This club has been "understanding" for too long, this is football and if you want to win you need to be ruthless not understanding and making excuses. Even if he wants to stay I'd [censored] him around at trade week for whoever will give us the best deal, doesn't matter who they are. He's done nothing in his career to feel like he should be able to pick and choose whether he'll play for us or which club he'll go to and for how much. Focus on making yourself a good player first and then the rest will take care of itself.

• Like 3

I know that Watts has been very inconsistent over the years and not produced as we've all hoped, but I think over the last 18 months he has been one of our better players. Sure he still needs to work on aspects of his game, particularly his toughness, but that has also improved. He's had more tackles so far this season in 16 out of 20 games, then he had all of last season, and has averaged over 2 tackles per game since Neeld was moved on. His pressuring of the ball has also improved.

Many here say he is never going to get where they want him to be so he can get lost. Well they guy has more talent in his non-preferred then half our list most of our list, and his willingness to make a contest has improved dramatically. I particularly recall the game against GWS where he took the pack mark, coming in from the left to take the mark in front with a leading Fitzpatrick and two GWS defenders all over them.

In the past that wouldn't have happened. I don't understand why so many seem to make up their mind on a player so early in their career, and then from that moment, until he becomes a star, he is permanently branded in a negative way. Watts is well within his rights to consider his options and what is best for him in HIS playing career, that could set HIM up for the rest of HIS life. When I've worked in a place that I thought had a negative culture/environment, I've looked to leave. Watts has been playing in a club which has been panned as pretty much having the worst culture in football. That doesn't exactly create a great working environment or a great incentive too stay.

Neil Craig has mentioned on numerous occasions that we need to make this club a place where players can see their future. Then they will buy in. Then we might see the production from some of our players that we know they are capable of. But until then, everything our players are fed from management will seem like an empty promise, because that's all that they've been fed from the previous administration for nearly 5 years.

It's not Jack's fault, it's the clubs.

• Like 1

So, has Jack Watts got brains or not?

A number of posters have questioned why the club allowed him to appear on TFS. My question is whether the club had any say in it or not. I suspect Jack's agent, Paul Connors, engineered the appearance and gave Jack instructions to sound unhappy in order to improve whatever offer Jack's been given (or is yet to be given) to stay at the club. Keep in mind, that player's agents are far more influential than either the player or the club when it comes to public appearances, including the timing, the medium and what is actually said. In short, even though I didn't see it I suspect the whole event, including what Jack said, was stage managed by Paul Connors.

I agree with this - ppl saying he was nervous/ and ambushed and gave a stupid answer are leaving in a dreamworld - these things are always 'stage managed' as you put it, with a direct strategy involved.

Cut our losses and get rid of him, We have been waiting for years for him to change gears and he has continually disappointed us. With Hogan, Dawes and Clark up forward, thats 3 big tough blokes, Watts just isn't mentally tough enough. There comes a point when you can't keep blaming the club for your development and start looking at yourself. We need mongrel going forward and Watts just doesn't have it in him. Thanks for the 5-10 max good games out of 70 Jack.

Exactly, to be quite honest Fiztpatrick has shown more in the last 2 months than Watts has in the last 5 years. Would rather have him as a back-up forward/ruck than Watts skirting the packs.

• Like 2

Without prejudice and just plain curiosity. Those that are real keen to retain Watts, where do you play him ?

This club has been "understanding" for too long, this is football and if you want to win you need to be ruthless not understanding and making excuses. Even if he wants to stay I'd [censored] him around at trade week for whoever will give us the best deal, doesn't matter who they are. He's done nothing in his career to feel like he should be able to pick and choose whether he'll play for us or which club he'll go to and for how much. Focus on making yourself a good player first and then the rest will take care of itself.

Umm...didn't we try this approach with Mark Neeld?

The kid deserves better!

Haha jeezus christ, I feel so sorry for the poor kid trying to find his place in the world while pocketing several hundred thousand dollars a year to do so. Give me a spell....

• Like 3

I know that Watts has been very inconsistent over the years and not produced as we've all hoped, but I think over the last 18 months he has been one of our better players. Sure he still needs to work on aspects of his game, particularly his toughness, but that has also improved. He's had more tackles so far this season in 16 out of 20 games, then he had all of last season, and has averaged over 2 tackles per game since Neeld was moved on. His pressuring of the ball has also improved.

Many here say he is never going to get where they want him to be so he can get lost. Well they guy has more talent in his non-preferred then half our list most of our list, and his willingness to make a contest has improved dramatically. I particularly recall the game against GWS where he took the pack mark, coming in from the left to take the mark in front with a leading Fitzpatrick and two GWS defenders all over them.

In the past that wouldn't have happened. I don't understand why so many seem to make up their mind on a player so early in their career, and then from that moment, until he becomes a star, he is permanently branded in a negative way. Watts is well within his rights to consider his options and what is best for him in HIS playing career, that could set HIM up for the rest of HIS life. When I've worked in a place that I thought had a negative culture/environment, I've looked to leave. Watts has been playing in a club which has been panned as pretty much having the worst culture in football. That doesn't exactly create a great working environment or a great incentive too stay.

Neil Craig has mentioned on numerous occasions that we need to make this club a place where players can see their future. Then they will buy in. Then we might see the production from some of our players that we know they are capable of. But until then, everything our players are fed from management will seem like an empty promise, because that's all that they've been fed from the previous administration for nearly 5 years.

It's not Jack's fault, it's the clubs.

Some players would see that as a reason to leave - others would see it as a challenge to overcome. He is a part of the club and can help drive its culture instead of ditching it because it's all too hard.

• Like 1

Without prejudice and just plain curiosity. Those that are real keen to retain Watts, where do you play him ?

High half forward rotating through the wing and half back. Just because he is tall, doesn't mean he can't play the role of a guy 5 cm's shorter than him. He's shown he has the skills to do so.

• Like 1

High half forward rotating through the wing and half back. Just because he is tall, doesn't mean he can't play the role of a guy 5 cm's shorter than him. He's shown he has the skills to do so.

So he's another of these "flanker" types that we have an over abundance of who can't run through the middle.

So he's another of these "flanker" types that we have an over abundance of who can't run through the middle.

funny thing is he can run ( when he wants to ) hes one of the quickest at the club.

So In a forward line where we would look to already have Clark Dawes and Howe... are some suggesting he play opposite to Howe ?