Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Craig for the top job in 2014

Cheap Seats

And for those who think I am bias for whatever reason and cbf reading the whole of this thread

I'l love Roos or Clarkson for 2014

I also really like Chocco as a candidate - but I think Craig also offers something and wouldn't be upset if he was in charge for 2014

The problem I have is the elephant in the room (or perhaps not exactly in the room) in the form of Dr. Bate. IMO, before Craig can even be considered, the club has to be certain that he had no involvement whatsoever with what was going on there.

For the record, I'm not accusing but the club needs to be damn sure that nobody connected with that little episode has a role to play going forward.

Spot on mate

I can only hope that PJ has the house in order - as my faith in any MFC administration is very very low

I find it interesting that it would appear most of the major candidates have been interviewed ,with Craig and eade having an informal chat ,Roos speaking to pj asking his interest yet Williams also appears to have been interviewed but no comments . Our future coach keeping mum?

Normally Id agree with that - The MFC needs a clean start. But also for too long the MFC has been making clean breaks and f'ing it up.... disrespecting greats of the club and AFL greats.

From what I've heard (and i'd like to clarify I haven't heard anything about who is going to be appointed) Craig has brought fresh ideas and standards from Neeld. Apparently Neelds game plan changed from week to week where Craig has a clear vision

I don't buy the clean break fresh start take with Craig rfpc - not saying your wrong but I think your making decisions not knowing all the facts

The only facts I have mentioned is the one that Craig is not defined by Neeld.

Only MFC supporters would be so myopic to think that.

As for the facts that could define Craig - as another poster said - I hope the club knows exactly what Bates did with Dank and if we had governance failures the size of Essendon's (or even smaller than that).

• Like 1

I find it interesting that it would appear most of the major candidates have been interviewed ,with Craig and eade having an informal chat ,Roos speaking to pj asking his interest yet Williams also appears to have been interviewed but no comments . Our future coach keeping mum?

You would think the fix is in by now. With only just over a week to go til our pain stops id suspect its about the finer details of anything not the major items.

We all know in a few weeks . The 'quiet' is fascinating in a way though

• Like 1

The only facts I have mentioned is the one that Craig is not defined by Neeld.

Only MFC supporters would be so myopic to think that.

As for the facts that could define Craig - as another poster said - I hope the club knows exactly what Bates did with Dank and if we had governance failures the size of Essendon's (or even smaller than that).

True - I did misinterpret what you said re Craig - I thought you implied Craig has been tainted by Neeld but that is not what you said - many think that on this site and you know it

On the second point - based on the limited facts we know about the cream and bates - according to the media AOD is not an illicit substance so there should be no issues there

Edited by Unleash Hell

True - I did misinterpret what you said re Craig - I thought you implied Craig has been tainted by Neeld but that is not what you said - many think that on this site and you know it

On the second point - based on the limited facts we know about the cream and bates - according to the media AOD is not an illicit substance so there should be no issues there

AOD is and was a schedule 0 substance. That makes it and made it banned under WADA and ASADA. the issue is whether asada told that to people who asked.

This has not run it's course from an mfc point of view.

I know what many think on this site. It certainly doesn't mean that there is any weight carried with their thoughts - nor should there be.

As for the AOD stuff - it is a mess right now and ASADA hasn't finished with us yet as they are a little busy right now...

My biggest concern is the Neeld thing, i know others don't think it's a problem but i feel because his job was essentially to oversee Neeld and that was a total disaster for the club, maybe he isn't the right man for the job.

i'm glad the decision is left to much more informed people than me, hopefully craig would have noticed the problems Neeld was causing and taken steps to fix them.

• Like 2

I haven't read all the replies, I just don't have enough time. My thoughts are that I'd honestly be happy with either Roos, Eade, Williams or Craig. Hell, even Ratten or Voss would be better than what we've had since Daniher (Neale, I'm sorry for ever wanting you sacked, how I miss our inconsistent years under your guidance, at least we were competitve with you). We need a coach with a strong personality who can help rebuild our culture and attitude. Any of these guys can do it, I just can't wait for this horrible season to end.

• Like 1

I like Craig and I believe he is respected both inside and outside the club. He is a steady influence And I would like to see him stay at the club in some capacity.

However, I would have thought that if he is auditioning for the coaching job he would have promoted some of the better players in the VFL to have a look at them. Taggert is one such case. After having kicked 5 last week and Byrnes being out I would have thought it a good time to briing him in instead of Rodan. I would have had a look at Davis playing down back as well. Maybe their cards are already marked...

At times I wish we could have insight into the thinking of our team selection...it does appear to differ greatly from supporters views at times

• Like 1

My biggest concern is the Neeld thing, i know others don't think it's a problem but i feel because his job was essentially to oversee Neeld and that was a total disaster for the club, maybe he isn't the right man for the job.

i'm glad the decision is left to much more informed people than me, hopefully craig would have noticed the problems Neeld was causing and taken steps to fix them.

I have a sneaking suspicion when its was getting bad that the club would have spoken to Craig and asked, "well, now or end of season ?" Craig might well have given his candid view that Neeld simply wasnt heeding good advice form a number of quarters, That might have been the sealer.

Neil is no nong he would have seen the train wreck unfolding. I do wonder about a lot of timing though. Neelds destiny was cemented at the end of the Essendon game. I noticed through the season Craig taking a lot of the main sessions ( well those I saw , Hardly saw Neeld ).

Im not over the line being convinced Craig is the best choice for next year. We'll see soon

Why do people keep saying this? Craig was NOT Neeld's mentor. He stayed well clear of the head coaching role and left that up to Neeld entirely. Yes I am sure Neeld would have come to him from time to time just for an opinion as Craig has been in the top job before. But Craig's background and qualifications are all to do with Sports Performance.

The guy holds a Sports Science degree for god's sake. He worked many years with the SAIS and helped assist the Olympic Cycling Team. This is also a reason why Craig has not put his hand up for the job. His coaching style is very different to Neelds. Hence why he let Neeld run the show as it was not his job to have any input on head coaching decisions.

He does mentor the new coaching assistants at the club (along with Neeld at the time), but the senior role was Neeld's entirely. His decisions, his game plans and his final say on recruiting.

Craig hasn't even decided if he wants the top job. He was more than happy working inside the club on anything Sports Performance based.

• Like 1

Why do people keep saying this? Craig was NOT Neeld's mentor. He stayed well clear of the head coaching role and left that up to Neeld entirely. Yes I am sure Neeld would have come to him from time to time just for an opinion as Craig has been in the top job before. But Craig's background and qualifications are all to do with Sports Performance.

The guy holds a Sports Science degree for god's sake. He worked many years with the SAIS and helped assist the Olympic Cycling Team. This is also a reason why Craig has not put his hand up for the job. His coaching style is very different to Neelds. Hence why he let Neeld run the show as it was not his job to have any input on head coaching decisions.

He does mentor the new coaching assistants at the club (along with Neeld at the time), but the senior role was Neeld's entirely. His decisions, his game plans and his final say on recruiting.

Craig hasn't even decided if he wants the top job. He was more than happy working inside the club on anything Sports Performance based.

Mate i am certain Craig was hired in the Rodney Eade role as a senior Assistant, David Mission is running our sports performance side of things, you don't pay that sorta money for a bloke with senior coaching experience if it's not to sure up a younger senior coach and that sort of setup was the flavour of the month.

Not saying he can't coach, or he is not a very good coach, i just feel that Eade and Williams are clearly better prospects for us, and Craig himself would not be able to sell much if any hope to supporters and sponsors.

His job wasnt to mentor( officially) but most certainly to oversee the FD in its entirity. The key figure is the head coach. He would have been in discussions often. It was always my thinking the club had Craig there as some sort of sounding board and confidant to Neeld

Somewhat curious , to me, was that someone in that position seemed so hands on with the training.

Mate i am certain Craig was hired in the Rodney Eade role as a senior Assistant, David Mission is running our sports performance side of things, you don't pay that sorta money for a bloke with senior coaching experience if it's not to sure up a younger senior coach and that sort of setup was the flavour of the month.

Not saying he can't coach, or he is not a very good coach, i just feel that Eade and Williams are clearly better prospects for us, and Craig himself would not be able to sell much if any hope to supporters and sponsors.

Quite frankly I think they are all great coaches. But if everyone thinks Choco and Eade are going to be like some saviours that are just going to flip the club around, they are definitely dreaming.

I am more confident in PJ and Bartlett picking the right man. THANKFULLY for us supporters PJ and Bartlett are fresh Melbourne supporters. PJ purely due to his new job and Bartlett only began following us 4 years ago when he moved to Melbourne.

This alone is enough to know both these men have only ever seen the rubbish club we are and they will more than certainly pick the right coach for the job. Parkin is there to oversea their coaching experience etc.

His job wasnt to mentor( officially) but most certainly to oversee the FD in its entirity. The key figure is the head coach. He would have been in discussions often. It was always my thinking the club had Craig there as some sort of sounding board and confidant to Neeld

Somewhat curious , to me, was that someone in that position seemed so hands on with the training.

Well I did mention something during a conversation with Craig in regards to the difference since Neeld's gone. All he said was something along the lines of that Mark and himself are different types of coaches, Mark focused on the game plans and structures and that his (Craig's) own role was more to mentor players and assistant coaches.

But who really knows anymore. For me I think I'd rather just know who are head coach is and support him no matter what.

Edited by alias275

I agree Alias275, we need to ditch the search for a savior, we need to look at the candidates and decide who is going to make us the strongest club in three years time, Eade has done it all before, Craig knows the players already and they love him and Choco's record speaks for itself,

i know Todd viney really rates Eade and thought he should have been the coach ahead of Neeld, not sure if that will have an impact on the decision now.

alias..I beleive the thinking of some here ( myself included ) is that Eade and Choco have it would seem more ( and better ) experience at developing a list form the ground up.

We are , again, effectively at that point. We do have half a dozen good foundation type players upon which to construct but its a list development/build without doubt

We have to get things right for next year and the year after, if we stuff this decision up guys like Frawley, Hogan, Nathan Jones will start to doubt their position on the list being worthwhile, it is Vital we get the right coach to sell them hope as much as anything else.

alias..I beleive the thinking of some here ( myself included ) is that Eade and Choco have it would seem more ( and better ) experience at developing a list form the ground up.

We are , again, effectively at that point. We do have half a dozen good foundation type players upon which to construct but its a list development/build without doubt

I think we all have our favourite head coach we want selected, but at the end of the day your right BB59, development is most important. Members and supporters will follow once we see signs of success. Success can only come developing our list of players.

We have players who have been on our lists for 5 years now who are still undeveloped. I really can't see PJ getting this wrong. It's true the coaching selection panel this time is so much different to last. If keeping Craig in there and bringing in a development coach as an assistant works, then so be it. If Williams or Eade are the best men to lead that, then so be it.

I just want my Dee's winning games. The same thing we all want and all can agree on :)

I know what many think on this site. It certainly doesn't mean that there is any weight carried with their thoughts - nor should there be.

Agreed

As for the AOD stuff - it is a mess right now and ASADA hasn't finished with us yet as they are a little busy right now...

Just like the Carlton admitting to tanking issue - I don't think it's on the AFLs to do list haha

Is there any real reason to worry about Bates?

I supported the appointment of Neeld as a new coach from a successful club with some new approaches to our developing list. I thought the combination with Craig was inspired the older sports development role to support and mentor the younger

How wrong I was

I was critical of Neeld "its the coach" after watching too many of his game day strategies and tactics result in no improvement and a degredation of the players skills and confidence.

I was happy to see what Craig could do but have been disappointed with some aspects of his performance while acknowledging he is in a somewhat conflicted position. I dont think I need to spell that out as it has been presented well by others previously. I still maintain "its the coach"

I would like to continue Craigs involvement in the senior advisory role he was appointed to but how this would be accepted by the candidates is also an important point.

Roos brought a new approach of team culture building to sydney and it worked with the structure and players he had. He used those players to cajole, inspire, produce a durable successful game plan and team with the ultimate success

Eade was partly responsible for establishing that team and had a similar outcome at Doggies where he was successful but never achieved the ultimate

Williams took a club with immense history and pride . He has seemed quite unstable at times but an unorthodox approach has seemed to work well. He had a mixed blend of players young old skilled and workhorses and managed to get them to produce to their maximum and won the ultimate prize. He has had mixed reviews since then but is still recognised as contributing to success.

We have a development coach. some would say the best, in Craig, we appear to lack a game day strategist and coach

I am not a coach UH but reckon BB Akum and others have pointed to some significant game day shortcomings. It might be with the benefit of hindsight but certainly my own restricted viewings have had me bellowing in frustration on game day

True we do not know the inner workings of the club and especially of the players and therefore what is expected of them but it obviously aint working and that is the coaches responsibility.

We cannot have a cleanout of all players and I would suggest we dont need to but there are some glaring cases of inconsistency and these should be adressed by the coach with the development coach

I have proposed Ling as a prospect. He has current credibility and a knowledge of the game which he is still developing in his current role but he may prove to be a valuable investment in the right environment,

I do not think we can afford with the current fragile state of our players confidence to do anything other than have a coach with a credible and current record that the current young group will recognise and aspire to. That they will respect

Choco and Ling for me has it all

I doubt wether these two would collectively work with Craig but if they could and did it would be fantastic.

recognition of development recognition of inspiration and just a crazy edge of unorthodoxy

Yeah I know Im not a coach so it probably doesnt mean much but I have played and followed sport all my life I have had some success and some failure. I have worked and studied in employment relations with similar results. I know that you learn as much from failure as you do success. I know that these matters must be managed so that you are able to seize any opportunityand benefit from it

I think we have seen that Neeld was not the right fit and now that Craig is not the right fit. We cannot however afford to get it wrong and my suggestion may not work I just hope the club are looking at as many combinations and attributes as possible to get it right

I am encouraged by both Jackson and Bartlett who have recognised skills and abilities to do this

I follow Melbourne with a passion and am waiting for the ultimate success I hope they can recognise these desires and more importantly communicate the reasons for their decisions.

Sorry a bit of topic as the emotion got to me

In short I dont think Craig is the answer

I am not a coach UH but i think BB and Akum and others have shown some serious analysis

• Like 2

I supported the appointment of Neeld as a new coach from a successful club with some new approaches to our developing list. I thought the combination with Craig was inspired the older sports development role to support and mentor the younger

How wrong I was

(for brevity only)

Mate, I think you just about summed it up perfectly.

There are positives in many of the choices and there are shortcomings. . Any which way wont be a one stop fixes all as there is just too vast a job ahead for who ever signs on. The incoming will though need a very good and sound understanding of not only the how of getting player; young , older , new and experienced to all play to their ability and in a cohesive manner. All this whilst hopefully implementing a game day strategy that works for us ( that being the combination of players, skills and levels that we are at any given time ). This is something thats been glaringly missing or inadequately attempted for a long while.

Other teams with not always that much better on the park always seem better drilled, more intelligent in their use of the ball and far more switched on . Maybe the contrast on playing us highlights their styles and abilities more so than if against another opposition but if there is ever a constant about Melbourne its invariably that others are better football teams.

But why?. We have as much resources as most. We seem to do all the right things at training. The players all have some ability to a varying degree. They all came from the same respository as other teams. So what is it. Even currently we have a well respected coach whos had good success elsewhere but somehow under the grey skys around the G etc it all comes to nought.

I thought wed play very differently under Craig. i thought the direction would change noticably even if the execution didnt . I know many say you cant turn the Titanic on a sixpence but you can instigate quite a bit of change in a 3-4 period but Ive not really seen it to any significant degree.. it could simply be a variance of the same ol same ol.

This in particular is what makes me baulk at NC for next year and on.

Again well summarised Dpositive

• Like 1