Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

So the players were "duped" or, as Caro puts it ... "ASADA is understood to have told the Essendon players' legal team that it had compiled evidence they had taken the banned Thyamosin Beta 4 but that it accepted they had done so unknowingly."

Must have missed the memo...When did this suddenly become a valid excuse ?

• Like 1

Must have missed the memo...When did this suddenly become a valid excuse ?

The being "duped" argument appears to be gaining momentum. I note that it seems to be in the conversation regularly now whereas previously being "duped" wasn't even being mentioned.

I see it as the strongest argument Essendon has (unless they can unequivocally prove they weren't given an illegal substance - which it appears they can't). Historically, being "duped" has not been a strong argument in the doping world because it can be manipulated. But IF the Essendon players and club were "duped" and Dank provided them with something outside what the club and players consented to, it becomes an interesting debate.

My only surprise is that Essendon hasn't gone with the being "duped" argument earlier (although if I were advising them I would suggest they use the term "fraud" rather than "duped". It has more grunt.)

They were duped but signed off on an unprecedented injection regime across the road at a clinic away from the club and with the club doctor on record as saying he had no idea what was going on...

Yeah, let em off. Fair enough. Not their fault.

If that gets through then WADA will have a huge problem around the world with the precedent being set.

• Like 1

My only surprise is that Essendon hasn't gone with the being "duped" argument earlier (although if I were advising them I would suggest they use the term "fraud" rather than "duped". It has more grunt.)

Essendon management can't go with the 'players were duped' argument because the question then is 'who did the duping'.

• Like 3

Essendon management can't go with the 'players were duped' argument because the question then is 'who did the duping'.

But Sue, EFC live by their code of duplicity... They are their own parallel Universe

if you listen to little he says the players didn't take anything illegal but if they did they were duped

so he technically is not admitting anything because of the inserted 'if'

he has his cake and he eats it....or at least he thinks so

the real determinant is what role wada will ultimately play

if you listen to little he says the players didn't take anything illegal but if they did they were duped

so he technically is not admitting anything because of the inserted 'if'

he has his cake and he eats it....or at least he thinks so

the real determinant is what role wada will ultimately play

And who would it have been that "duped" them? Why, the EFC of course :-)

Sorry Jack I disagree. You can't have a system where Ess goes to court, loses and then says to the AFL Ok lets do a deal where we admit things and you give us a 3m ban over summer so we don't miss any games.

Flies in the face of any common sense and people would be justifiably outraged. Particularly other athletes from other codes.

I actually do agree with what you say jnrmac. There shouldn't be such a system but, based on the Cronulla dealings, there is every possibility that ASADA will end up cutting a deal with the players along far more favourable lines than most others in the sporting world. Our country's sporting integrity is already in question but giving Essendon a virtual free pass would be nothing short of shameful.

• Like 2

I actually do agree with what you say jnrmac. There shouldn't be such a system but, based on the Cronulla dealings, there is every possibility that ASADA will end up cutting a deal with the players along far more favourable lines than most others in the sporting world. Our country's sporting integrity is already in question but giving Essendon a virtual free pass would be nothing short of shameful.

ahhh its back....lol ( sort of )

I think the outcome will be distinct from the NRL. They havent challenged nor sought to derail things. I dont think WADA as an over-seer can/will allow thing sort of thing to go untouched.

ahhh its back....lol ( sort of )

I think the outcome will be distinct from the NRL. They havent challenged nor sought to derail things. I dont think WADA as an over-seer can/will allow thing sort of thing to go untouched.

I don't share your faith in the system anymore 'bub'.

• Like 1

Essendon blasts former ASADA chief Aurora Andruska following Federal Court trial

"LAWYERS for Essendon and James Hird have slammed the performance of former ASADA boss Aurora Andruska in the witness box."

Kind of funny ....Essendon purporting that anyone not be 100% forthcoming!!!

How does that go......Kettle, Black......something :huh: :rolleyes:

They are certainly relentless. Amazing that they continue to pour shiite over everybody that they think has wronged them and then on the other hand want to keep open the option of negotiating a lesser penalty for being co-operative.

They can't see the conflict or absurdity of their position:

we dont know what the players took

we know the players took nothing illegal

we sacked Dean Robinson for overseeing an illegal regime

we ran a pharmacological experiment

it was Demtrious fault that we self reported

we never should have self reported

we didn't self report

I hope they get hit with a massive sledgehammer. They deserve it.

• Like 6

They are certainly relentless. Amazing that they continue to pour shiite over everybody that they think has wronged them and then on the other hand want to keep open the option of negotiating a lesser penalty for being co-operative.

we didn't self report

Agree big fella,But i think backroom deal done and dusted,much to my disappointment.

I still dont get what part of "Ive been injected 50 times in the stomach" turns into"players were dudded".

we didn't self report

Good summation . Its totally absurd really. And essentially that's all there is to it no matter how they try to camouflage it . Hopefully Middleton isn't fooled by smoke and mirrors.

Agree big fella,But i think backroom deal done and dusted,much to my disappointment.

I still dont get what part of "Ive been injected 50 times in the stomach" turns into"players were dudded".

No deal can be done until Middleton gives his verdict.

Id love to see Clarke and Dawes do a skit on all of this. :)

edit ( not Mitch and Chris...before anyone says it !! )

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

well now if they didnt self report then surely they lose their 50% discount for self reporting, correct?

seems like they just doubled their punishments

they will probably *cough claim they *cough co-operated *cough fully *cough though