Intensity

Dee Since 73

Just watching the first quarter of Carlton V Freo. The pressure from both teams is incredible. All are playing for each other and the tackling is intense. Tackles stick, players making space and effort is clearly on show. What the hell has happened to our team? We are miles behind.

It's not just our midfield that lacks firepower, it's every position on the ground. We are in serious trouble.

Just watching the first quarter of Carlton V Freo. The pressure from both teams is incredible. All are playing for each other and the tackling is intense. Tackles stick, players making space and effort is clearly on show. What the hell has happened to our team? We are miles behind.

It's not just our midfield that lacks firepower, it's every position on the ground. We are in serious trouble.

Nat Fyfe my favorite player, wish we had one like Fyfe, he does everything.

To me, our malaise is a deeply rooted psychological problem. It was highlighted in today's fourth quarter.

Kent had run hard to cap off a movement from full back to the forward line to kick a goal from 50 on the run, closing the gap to 3 or 4 goals. There was no celebration though. Not from him, not from anyone who went to 'congratulate' him. It was all glum faces, no smiles, no fist pumping, nothing. It was as if we were 100 points down.

Our players have no confidence. They have no spirit. They don't have any belief in themselves, or in the side. Unless they're in front, they don't think they can win. They are completely lacking in enthusiasm, in the will to even be out there. They aren't enjoying football, they have no energy.

This is why we don't chase. We don't run hard enough in either offence or defence.

We just don't seem to care right now.

• Like 3

To me, our malaise is a deeply rooted psychological problem. It was highlighted in today's fourth quarter.

Kent had run hard to cap off a movement from full back to the forward line to kick a goal from 50 on the run, closing the gap to 3 or 4 goals. There was no celebration though. Not from him, not from anyone who went to 'congratulate' him. It was all glum faces, no smiles, no fist pumping, nothing. It was as if we were 100 points down.

Our players have no confidence. They have no spirit. They don't have any belief in themselves, or in the side. Unless they're in front, they don't think they can win. They are completely lacking in enthusiasm, in the will to even be out there. They aren't enjoying football, they have no energy.

This is why we don't chase. We don't run hard enough in either offence or defence.

We just don't seem to care right now.

Couldn't agree more. The psychological problem of the team was evident a few times this year when, at times in matches when we had to back ourselves and dig in, one event would occur which would lead to the team losing confidence, and letting the game slip.

A particular example I can think of was during a match (unfortunately, I can't remember who the other team was; but I have a feeling it could have been the Lions), the ball was contested near our goal, and a player from the oposition got it. Fitzpatrick (who I really quite like, except for this) was in a position to dive into a tackle, but stood and watched as the other player kicked a goal. It wasn't a matter of five seconds, of course; but certainly enough time to read what was going to happen, and act accordingly. After that goal, we were never really in it, despite being in it for pretty much the whole match up until this point.

There are stories of Sydney being forty points ahead, and still being desperate for the next goal. We need that kind of optimisim and belief. It's not really about "wanting it" (I don't think footballers really ever want to lose), but believing it; and we need a coach who can fill us with confidence, and not try to beat it into us. When we have that, we'll be a much more successful team.

• Like 1

Yep I had the exact same reaction after I watched the north vs Geelong game.

We are so far behind the comp that we may never be able to catch up.

• Like 1

It is just so very very sad that our guys appear to accept that they will lose (almost) every week.

No spirit, no fight, not even much sign of disappointment at yet another loss.

Until and unless this is reversed - that they look as if they are hurt by a loss - we will get nowhere and may well fold despite AFL support.

Frankly, I don't want (after nearly 60 years as a supporter) to follow a team that does not share their supporters' pain when they lose.

I have very nearly had enough.

There are other, better, ways to spend my emotions other than on a once great club that appears to no longer care.

• Like 1

You tend to lose your self belief when you are told, 'You are crap and you will always be crap unless you lose and prove that your crapness deserves pity. Only then can we get blokes who you can only hope to become 2/3rds as good as. And that is in your dreams.'

Fast forward 3 years and after following those instructions to the letter, you get told, 'You are lazy. We have a team not living up to it's potential because of lazy players. Now, I'm going to teach you how to work! I know about all this because I was an assistant coach at Collingwood in 2010'

Not exactly awe inspiring stuff is it?

Edited by Guest

Remember the Swans game we won in 2010? We hunted them down with a pack mentality. We run down the ground in an attacking line. Where has it all gone?

As others have mentioned, serious mental issues this lot. I'm not being flippant when I say that, something is seriously wrong in their headspace.

I'm sorry to say that the Melbourne Football Club offer me no excitement at all. I loved seeing Richmond beat those cocky Hawthorn mongrels. I am loving the Carlton v Freo game. MFC, you are losing me...... Win me back.

40 years of support and I too have nearly had enough.